Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the 107% rule be a feature in the F1 game series?

Should the 107% rule be added into the F1 game series?

For those who don’t know what it is, you need to quallyfy within 107% of the fastest qualifier. For example, if in Australia, pole position was 1:22.239 (82.239 seconds), everyone else would then have to quallyfy with a time of (82.239*1.07) 87.995 seconds which is 1:27.995. 

If if people don’t quallyfy within 107%, which in our case is 1:27.995, then they need to seek permission to race. If they don’t have permission, the driver would not be able to race.  This also means if you did not quallyfy, you would not be in the 107%. This may mean that depending on your history, you may or may not be able to race. 

This. I think, would be good for online racing. 

This will be really hard to make as having a slower time than x doesn't always mean you can't start a race. All kinds of incidents can happen on quali which can make you have a really slow lap.

UP100 said:
This will be really hard to make as having a slower time than x doesn't always mean you can't start a race. All kinds of incidents can happen on quali which can make you have a really slow lap.
I understand. There could be compromises at times such as letting you off on the first few races of the season. Then, it checks your history and consistency. 

I don't think so, since no cars are outside the 107% anymore, and even on the rare occasion they are (because they couldn't get a good lap done) they are allowed to race anyway.

Nesjamag said:
I don't think so, since no cars are outside the 107% anymore, and even on the rare occasion they are (because they couldn't get a good lap done) they are allowed to race anyway.
Yeah it would just be a waste of time because the rule is pretty meaningless now because if a driver hasn't done it in qualifying they've done it in practice so are allowed to race anyway.

@Nesjamag @sjsharp2010 it could help with online racing though. It would help to knock out the slow people. 
Well that needs to be an agreement with whoever is doing the online league racing and all the rules regarding  that then right?  Not really anything to do with the main game as the main game doesn't really need it in those circumstances.

@Nesjamag @sjsharp2010 it could help with online racing though. It would help to knock out the slow people. 
I'm not sure. In league racing they'd be assigned to slower leagues anyway.
In random online races sometimes/often half or more of the field wouldn't make it to the race. Some tracks half of randoms get DSQ for track limits and half of those who get a lap in are away slow due to general lack of pace or a mistake somewhere in their lap.

It'd be too harsh.

Yes definitely. Those who race properly shouldn't be afraid of the rule, but it might just be another way of getting rid of the unwanted crashers and idiots that spoil it for others.
 It could be made as a switchable option by the host.

Never. It would only hurt the game. Useless for singleplayer, as you can just adjust the AI level, useless in multiplayer, as how do you want to make sure that people that just screwed up a lap, but are actually fast and play fair get into the race? They wouldn't, which would suck for all.
So would it suck for people that play fair but just lack some pace. Try to explain them that they are not allowed to play the game. 

I don't see this adding something to the game, especially online like some are suggesting. If you'd make a couple of mistakes/can't get a proper laptime in during one shot qualy or short qualy ( you could get blocked by others, or get an invalidated lap time for a tiny accidental corner cut ) and you would not be allowed to enter the race,  that would be horribly frustrating.

Also, there's nothing wrong with racing people who are slow. The problem is with crashers/rammers, who are just as often capable of setting quick enough lap times within the 107% rule.