Sign in to follow this  

£45 for pre-order, multiplayer mode removed from the game?

45 quid for this yearly iteration, and not one word on the official steam page about any changes / fixes to multiplayer (which was completely broken last year), or any communication from Conmasters at all regarding the multiplayer for this years game. Can we just assume multiplayer has been removed in favour of adding "time-pressured media interviews" to career mode?

FYI Codemasters haven't said anything about Multiplayer last year too, so I assume that Multiplayer is still broken and they are silent about it.
I thought that things might change since @Faya came up, but apparently it's back to '...shut up and pre-order the friggin game already…'.

The only thing they said was how awesome it is to have esports now and that they implemented a "Super License" system to find lobbies with players of similar stats. So no, there has been no information regarding overall improvements compared to last year.

Being screwed over three games in a row I decided not to buy anything and wait until 100% of the content is in a playable and enjoyable state. Them repeating the same pre-release process a third time in a row now shows me that nothing has changed so far.
Shame...

Guess I'll have to wait a few years until they get their heads out their rears to produce a working game for everyone...
Or until the license is given to a more capable developer.

Once again beta testing is not finished, so Codemasters can't be sure the game is bug free.

I've always believed features that do not reliably function properly are actually not "features" at all in the true sense of the word "feature." If it cannot be used for its advertised & intended purpose with a reasonable measure of consistency/dependability, then to me, that "feature" is effectively nonexistent/removed. Broken multi-player might as well be no multi-player, and therefore, I feel it is misleading to list multiplayer as a "feature."

If I buy a flashlight that only shines very dimly at random times, then I won't ever use that flashlight and it was wasted money spent because I can't rely on it to serve its purpose by illuminating things for me - and the maker/seller of that flashlight can't expect to be in business long if they tell customers: "hey, I did my part by delivering a hand-held battery-powered light-bulb with an on/off switch that sometimes works, but nothing is perfect & manufacturing flashlights isn't easy & I wouldn't be able to profit if I made the investment to manufacture reliable flashlights, so stop complaining or else I will file a restraining order if you continue to criticize my work - but be sure to pre-order the next version of my flashlight now!"

...Consumers would not tolerate that from other products & services, and I don't understand why so many people accept it & even defend it when game companies repeatedly do it.

Guess I'll have to wait a few years until they get their heads out their rears to produce a working game for everyone...
Or until the license is given to a more capable developer.
Actually happened: Couple of weeks ago I was dreaming of Formula 1 2018 being developed by Turn 10 Studios. I remember buying it and trying it out, and I had the feeling that it was the best F1 game to ever exist. Then I woke up.

So this is my level of depression, when it comes to F1 2018 :D

Operator1 said:

...Consumers would not tolerate that from other products & services, and I don't understand why so many people accept it & even defend it when game companies repeatedly do it.
Talking about codemasters' F1, I think that many players only play the Singleplayer modes, and those are quite playable compared to Online-modes. At least it's the reason why the F1 games get good review scores by the media.

Some of the things they mentioned the past month are:

Super license, which will include elo ranking based on how well you perform.
A sportsmanship like ranking based on how clean you race.
More options for spectating. This is for esports basically. More options for commentators during races.

Nesjamag said:

More options for spectating. This is for esports basically. More options for commentators during races.
These things are all well and good and I actually like that codies are trying it but I fear this will cause more problems then it solves because of the way these games implement the penalty system i.e as a non assist user I’m for ever getting penalised in online lobbies for being hit by assist users so I could end up with a really crappy sportsmanship rating through no fault of my own.

Nesjamag said:

These things are all well and good and I actually like that codies are trying it but I fear this will cause more problems then it solves because of the way these games implement the penalty system i.e as a non assist user I’m for ever getting penalised in online lobbies for being hit by assist users so I could end up with a really crappy sportsmanship rating through no fault of my own.

Totally agree. Online licenses for players can be a fustercluck if penalties are not handled properly.

Not to mention, stacking new (potentially buggy) features on top of an already buggy game/engine/mode seems like a recipe for disaster. I'm all in favor of cool new features, but if the foundation they're built on isn't solid, then new features can't hope to add much value.

How many actually saw Lees video at E3. It seems a lot didn't, or a choosing to ignore it 

Yeah it was literally corporate buzzwords... The fact Lee's comments were so hollow, leads me to believe the new game will basically be F1 2017 + added classic cars, Paul Ricard, interviews and ERS "simulation"....nothing more. 

....Could've patched all of that into 2017 minus the halo.... infact I'm sure someone has modded a game well enough that its already out there.

Still no word from Conmasters about the state of online play for the next game...

3 ways the message is loud-&-clear:
history of releasing titles with substantial gameplay-impacting bugs/glitches/issues/problems
failure to address bugs/glitches/issues/problems post-launch in prior games
silence about bugs/glitches/issues/problems

Still no word from Conmasters about the state of online play for the next game...
What are you expecting them to say? Even if they were the sort of company who owned up to some things being a bit crap last year, which they're clearly not as long they have a multi-million pound licensing deal to keep sweet, they're unlikely to really know how well it's working this year until the beta testing is finished anyway.

Operator1 said:

history of releasing titles with substantial gameplay-impacting bugs/glitches/issues/problems
Although I still have a little bit of hope left, sadly, the message is in fact very loud and clear.
Can you please comment on this, @Faya ?

The bugmasters community staff are completely unwilling to make any comment about multiplayer.

It's very disappointing and unprofessional from such a known company.

DiscoDave said:
The bugmasters community are completely unwilling to make any comment about multiplayer.

Aren't we the community?

LSKone said:
Operator1 said:

Although I still have a little bit of hope left, sadly, the message is in fact very loud and clear.
Can you please comment on this, @Faya ?
If you can find a way to disguise our concerns and queries about stability/safety car etc as a PRE-ORDER question.... we might just get an answer...

scottishwildcat said:
...they're unlikely to really know how well it's working this year until the beta testing is finished anyway.

If history is any indicator, one or more or all of the following seems likely:
• problem areas will not be included in the beta for testing
• beta testers will not adequately test problem areas
• there won't be enough time to address problem areas between the beta & retail launch
• the retail launch version will not be representative of the beta version or of the feedback from beta testers
• day-one patch & post-launch patches will not resolve problem areas
• rinse-&-repeat for next year's installment, & the year after that, & so on

• problem areas will not be included in the beta for testing - disagree with you here, that's the whole purpose of beta testing I suppose
• beta testers will not adequately test problem areas - some are very dedicated and give proper feedback
• there won't be enough time to address problem areas between the beta & retail launch - guess you are right here
• the retail launch version will not be representative of the beta version or of the feedback from beta testers - hope not, but that was the case last year
• day-one patch & post-launch patches will not resolve problem areas - some, but not all as history tells us
• rinse-&-repeat for next year's installment, & the year after that, & so on - we will see, but I guess you are right here too

DiscoDave said:
The bugmasters community staff are completely unwilling to make any comment about multiplayer.

That’s just how they operate and it’s why i won’t never put another penny in their pockets because they have zero respect for their consumers.

• beta testers will not adequately test problem areas - some are very dedicated and give proper feedback
It doesn't seem to matter tho.