Sign in to follow this  

HUD Off

Just wondered how many of you guys raced without a HUD at all. How is it? Are you able to know gaps to other cars etc? I've never tried it. Just wondered how playable the game is like this?

It makes the game alot better imo as I can "just drive" (sky F1) without constantly looking at the gaps to other cars and my sector times then loosing focus and spinning lol! The engineer is pretty useless when it comes to telling you gaps to other cars but will tell you if you are matching race pace or slower/quicker than the car behind/ahead on the odd laps now and again, most cars this year have your lap time on the wheel so what I do if I cant see the ppl im racing is have a look on race director see what my last lap time was then I know each lap if my pace is good or not simply by looking at my wheel on a straight. This obviously only works offline as online you do need to know what lap your on sometimes and cant press pause so Ill chuck it on for coop or online but single player is much better with no hud especially those stupid arrows that tell you where cars are! Give it a go mate, cockpit view and no hud makes me belive im driving a F1 car around silverstone lol!

Yeah, I can't bear those arrows - I use the mirrors instead, plus sound cues and situational awareness. Cockpit view all the way as well :)

I think when you play without HUD is awesome, you can concentrate more, but we need a engineer that bring us much more information. The lap you are, for example, 4 laps remaining for expected pit stop, more pace of A.I., who are behind you and if slower or faster...

Indeed, I agree with all of you. The new LED steering wheels can display more information and the engineer could use some improvements, as well as being able to see the mirrors fully in all cars.

I actually think the mirrors (in 2012 and 13) are one of the best features - seeing a car darting about lining up a pass - I find that more immersive than watching some arrows moving around...

The only thing I drive with on is the lap counter. All other HUD is off. I trust my race engineer and go off what he has to say. I also judge myself based on the way my car feels and handles in the moment. Makes for a more realistic feel.

I'd like to drive with HUD off, but there is too much information that I get (and am supposed to have available) from gaps and the map that help me strategize (mainly fuel strategy).

Gonna give it a go at Austin in a couple of weeks. With my 2015 career drive pretty much sorted, I can afford to 'experiment' in the last 3 races!