Sign in to follow this  

Personal feedback and what I feel could be further improved

I've given the game a good few races now and so I thought I might offer my feedback and what areas I feel could be further improved upon. I'll start by saying that like all the other games in the series, this game is a step up from the last one. As in all yearly sports games, it looks the same on the surface, but play it for a while and you can see exactly where the improvements have been made and that is not by a long shot the same game as the last.

- The physics/Tyre model
Now I play on the pad on the 360 so I can't speak for wheel users. Again, the physics are a step forward from 2013. The cars feel much heavier at the front which is more like how they should be, especially at low speeds. You feel like you have more control over the car which in turn makes it easier to drive on edge or hold back to save tyres and fuel. In 2013 it was a case of trying to make it to your pit stops and it was near impossible to make it past your scheduled stop or change strategy mid race. In 2014 however this is very much possible. I've already had a race where I've changed from a three stopper to a two and it didn't feel like I was punishing myself for doing so. I was able to keep a pace relatively close to the AI, slower obviously, but realistically so. I've also done a race where I've pushed harder than I perhaps normally would and required an extra stop because of it. This is something that does not need changing. The AI/player tyre wear gap is very manageable now thanks to the improvements and I hope to continue saying that after the patch. I've seen complaints about players not being able to match the AI on wear, but I can fully guarantee it is down to the way that A) The player is driving and B) The player has set up the car.
There is the matter of the assists though. There are claims that they are always on regardless of whether you turn them off on the pad. I don't know if this is a bug or if it's a feature to make the game more accessible, it is something that needs looking at (though I imagine going by the sheer amount of threads on the matter that it doesn't need repeating here). I also feel that impact physics can be improved. If the AI connects with my back wheel, I would expect to be put into a spin. If a player does it to an AI, it works absolutely fine, but perhaps make the players car less bolted to the ground when it comes to contact with the AI.

- AI
Again, an improvement on the last game to the point where we can now actually race the AI. They mix strategies now rather than all pitting on the same laps and sometimes do different amount of stops per race as well. Again, people complain about the AI being too passive but I'll again point out that it's likely down to the way people are driving. They will back out of moves early if you weave about (wouldn't you if someone did that in real life?) and brake early if you block them. But drive like an actual racing driver does and they respond in kind and try and pass you. There is still room for some improvement though. There are some corners where they are perhaps a little too cautious such as Melbourne turn 1 and the first right hander after the two straights which could be worked on. They could still perhaps be a little more aggressive under brakeing but racecraft otherwise is a good step in the right direction. I do feel however that some AI cars pace should be altered slightly and it relates to team tiers. I've brought it up in a couple of threads but I feel that tier changes should make a return and expanded upon with mid season changes if certain conditions are met. For example if you succeed with several R&D's then perhaps your team moves up a tier to replace an under performing team in the higher tier. It would help liven up the career mode as well as mixing up the results somewhat. Williams this year for example have moved to what would be tier 1 over the course of the season. Mclaren in 2012 fluctuated between 1, 2 and even 3 at one stage. Track tiers could also be an idea as we've seen some teams struggle at certain tracks. Swapping Ferrari and Force India at Bahrain for example or Williams and Red Bull at Sochi. Aside from that there are some AI drivers that are performing consistently better or worse than they are this season. In my career so far Rosberg is consistently struggling to get on the podium which should not be the case going by the Mercedes' pace whereas Vettel seems to always be fighting for wins (usually the case but a big no for this season). Button underperforms compared to how he actually has this season and Massa seems to be in a completely lower tier to Bottas, same goes for Perez. In other words: I feel Rosberg,Button,Massa and Perez need an upgrade in performance and Vettel and Raikkonen a downgrade to make it a bit closer to this season. The gap between tier 1 and 2 is good in qualifying, but needs closing up for races and tier 3 needs to be a lot closer in general to tier 2 (a whole second gap is too much especially considering Toro Rosso have been right up there with the other teams). It's almost impossible for Toro Rosso to get close to the points as it is now.
Again it would help keep the results from being too similar and liven up the career mode so you're not targeting the same drivers in the championship.

- Overall
In general the game is a step up from last years game. I have noticed other improvements aside from what I've already mentioned such as in the weather, penalty system and the track getting quicker over the course of qualifying. (AI seem to actually improve on their first lap times in a session now). Online now also seems a lot more stable compared to previous seasons.
There are a couple of other suggestions I have for improvements though. I'm still in the belief that the player should suffer random race ending failures at times just like the AI does and more engine/brake/gearbox wear if you have simulation damage on in particular. I fully understand the reasons why the player doesn't suddenly suffer a DNF but it would greatly improve the atmosphere as you would never know if your car will make it to the end (just like in real life). Rewinds seem to remedy a failure if an AI suffers one. Rewind to a point before an AI car retires and they will carry on as normal for example. This could be the same for the player if they get frustrated with not being able to finish. I feel it would add to the immersion to the races and if the car wears down easier, it would give the player more incentive to preserve their cars just as in real F1.

In conclusion, I am happy with the improvements made in 2014 and I am personally enjoying the game as it has met my expectations. That being said, I personally feel some of the improvements that could be made that I've listed above could help turn this game from an upgrade of the previous game, to a big upgrade from the previous game, in my opinion anyway. I hope they can be considered for the future.

Take a note everyone this how you deliver proper feedback and get CM to notice nice work @Wynterdust
I was just about to say that, well done @Wynterdust‌ great review that im sure CM will take a look at it and not ignore like posts from people that say they have thrown their game in the bin..

Excellent review. My opinion is:

Game is the best of the series so far,it's fun.
- Handling is fun to play and turbo makes losback of the car but pad users has some advantages.(They gain almost 2 seconds)
-AI is more agressive but their pace at the 1st lap is too slow,and they dont try to overtake if you defend one time.

In general F1 2014 is good and fun for all kind of players IMO. Hardcore players should be little dissapointed with some things but is better to play than 2013.

Excellent review. My opinion is:

Game is the best of the series so far,it's fun.
- Handling is fun to play and turbo makes losback of the car but pad users has some advantages.(They gain almost 2 seconds)
-AI is more agressive but their pace at the 1st lap is too slow,and they dont try to overtake if you defend one time.

The AI/player tyre wear gap is very manageable now thanks to the improvements and I hope to continue saying that after the patch. I've seen complaints about players not being able to match the AI on wear, but I can fully guarantee it is down to the way that A) The player is driving and B) The player has set up the car.
I know we've talked about this in other threads and you've provided possible explanations as to why I don't think the AI don't seem to wear out on tyres very much if at all, but in my opinion, I have to say I still think that as I get more evidence, it seems to be the case that they just don't experience much tyre wear.

Before I show more of what I believe to be evidence of this, I want to say I have never felt more capable of matching AI pit strategies, and I love that. I just think that it is an improvement that can be made if it is indeed the case that they don't experience tyre wear. Another possibility that I have considered is that their tyre wear is low due to them driving so smoothly, being AI, and that their pit strategies are partially scripted.

Monaco GP, Expert, Magnussen on the left, Maldonado on the right, One Prime Stint

Lap 34 - 1:22.779                   
Lap 35 - 1:22.963                    Lap 35 - 1:23.251
Lap 36 - 1:22.711                    Lap 36 - 1:23.033
Lap 37 - 1:22.570                    Lap 37 - 1:35.461
Lap 38 - 1:24.027                    Lap 38 - 1:23.107
Lap 39 - 1:24.656                    Lap 39 - 1:24.942
Lap 40 - 1:56.250                    Lap 40 - 1:33.207
Lap 41 - 1:23.916                    Lap 41 - 1:24.857
Lap 42 - 1:22.580                    Lap 42 - 1:23.697
Lap 43 - 1:22.411                    Lap 43 - 1:23.052
Lap 44 - 1:22.515                    Lap 44 - 1:23.018
Lap 45 - 1:22.443                    Lap 45 - 1:23.157
Lap 46 - 1:22.357                    Lap 46 - 1:23.055
Lap 47 - 1:22.396                    Lap 47 - 1:23.513
Lap 48 - 1:22.260                    Lap 48 - 1:23.069
Lap 49 - 1:22.322                    Lap 49 - 1:22.919
Lap 50 - 1:22.152                    Lap 50 - 1:22.973
Lap 51 - 1:22.313                    Lap 51 - 1:22.809
Lap 52 - 1:22.042                    Lap 52 - 1:22.872
Lap 53 - 1:22.066                    Lap 53 - 1:22.595
Lap 54 - 1:22.129                    Lap 54 - 1:22.640
Lap 55 - 1:22.005                    Lap 55 - 1:22.546
Lap 56 - 1:21.991                    Lap 56 - 1:22.505
Lap 57 - 1:22.331                    Lap 57 - 1:22.484
Lap 58 - 1:21.867                    Lap 58 - 1:22.468
Lap 59 - 1:21.307                    Lap 59 - 1:22.471
Lap 60 - 1:20.852                    Lap 60 - 1:22.369
Lap 61 - 1:20.891                    Lap 61 - 1:21.932
Lap 62 - 1:20.813                    Lap 62 - 1:22.155
Lap 63 - 1:20.864                    Lap 63 - 1:24.237
Lap 64 - 1:20.753                    Lap 64 - 1:21.907
Lap 65 - 1:20.587                    Lap 65 - 1:21.908
Lap 66 - 1:20.597                    Lap 66 - 1:21.846
Lap 67 - 1:20.613                    Lap 67 - 1:21.821
Lap 68 - 1:20.520                    Lap 68 - 1:21.818
Lap 69 - 1:20.533                    Lap 69 - 1:21.800
Lap 70 - 1:20.530                    Lap 70 - 1:21.856
Lap 71 - 1:20.560                    Lap 71 - 1:21.736
Lap 72 - 1:20.652                    Lap 72 - 1:21.867
Lap 73 - 1:20.560                    Lap 73 - 1:21.797
Lap 74 - 1:20.257                    Lap 74 - 1:21.523
Lap 75 - 1:20.214                    Lap 75 - 1:21.537
Lap 76 - 1:20.240                    Lap 76 - 1:21.391
Lap 77 - 1:20.114                    Lap 77 - 1:21.240

Sorry if all of these numbers I'm posting is getting annoying. I'm just trying to point out potential tweaks, and if what I believe is wrong, that's ok.

Great post - this is indeed how you report - constructively critical in parts but credit where due in others...

...much better than "waaah, my game is broked, nothing works, non-specific winge, blub blub, my life isn't worth living and it's all Codies fault etc."

You know the type...

Good post! I was one of the many that said cm have done nothing with 14 but how wrong was I :) as much as id like manual starts, manual pit control/safety car and warm up laps the main thing I wanted was for the racing to be fun but also a challenge, this is the first year where I drive with a big smile on my face and the laps just fly by because I focus so much on kepping my pace up each lap. There are a few areas that need patching to make the game more equal for everyone but as far as playing the game I cant get enough! Cant wait to see what they come up with for 15

Another good thread on the downward spiral. Enough of the bickering please!
Having read the OP, it looks as though the game has made progress. I'm kind of gutted that I'm not buying it but I really can't because I know I will be returning it for a refund (like I did in 2012).

vtidixon said:
Good post! I was one of the many that said cm have done nothing with 14 but how wrong was I :) as much as id like manual starts, manual pit control/safety car and warm up laps the main thing I wanted was for the racing to be fun but also a challenge, this is the first year where I drive with a big smile on my face and the laps just fly by because I focus so much on kepping my pace up each lap. There are a few areas that need patching to make the game more equal for everyone but as far as playing the game I cant get enough! Cant wait to see what they come up with for 15
I don't think you're the only one I was too. I did  buy it on the cheap but at the end of the day I'm glad I did buy it as it's a lot of fun

I've given the game a good few races now and so I thought I might offer my feedback and what areas I feel could be further improved upon. I'll start by saying that like all the other games in the series, this game is a step up from the last one. As in all yearly sports games, it looks the same on the surface, but play it for a while and you can see exactly where the improvements have been made and that is not by a long shot the same game as the last.

- The physics/Tyre model
Now I play on the pad on the 360 so I can't speak for wheel users. Again, the physics are a step forward from 2013. The cars feel much heavier at the front which is more like how they should be, especially at low speeds. You feel like you have more control over the car which in turn makes it easier to drive on edge or hold back to save tyres and fuel. In 2013 it was a case of trying to make it to your pit stops and it was near impossible to make it past your scheduled stop or change strategy mid race. In 2014 however this is very much possible. I've already had a race where I've changed from a three stopper to a two and it didn't feel like I was punishing myself for doing so. I was able to keep a pace relatively close to the AI, slower obviously, but realistically so. I've also done a race where I've pushed harder than I perhaps normally would and required an extra stop because of it. This is something that does not need changing. The AI/player tyre wear gap is very manageable now thanks to the improvements and I hope to continue saying that after the patch. I've seen complaints about players not being able to match the AI on wear, but I can fully guarantee it is down to the way that A) The player is driving and B) The player has set up the car.
There is the matter of the assists though. There are claims that they are always on regardless of whether you turn them off on the pad. I don't know if this is a bug or if it's a feature to make the game more accessible, it is something that needs looking at (though I imagine going by the sheer amount of threads on the matter that it doesn't need repeating here). I also feel that impact physics can be improved. If the AI connects with my back wheel, I would expect to be put into a spin. If a player does it to an AI, it works absolutely fine, but perhaps make the players car less bolted to the ground when it comes to contact with the AI.

- AI
Again, an improvement on the last game to the point where we can now actually race the AI. They mix strategies now rather than all pitting on the same laps and sometimes do different amount of stops per race as well. Again, people complain about the AI being too passive but I'll again point out that it's likely down to the way people are driving. They will back out of moves early if you weave about (wouldn't you if someone did that in real life?) and brake early if you block them. But drive like an actual racing driver does and they respond in kind and try and pass you. There is still room for some improvement though. There are some corners where they are perhaps a little too cautious such as Melbourne turn 1 and the first right hander after the two straights which could be worked on. They could still perhaps be a little more aggressive under brakeing but racecraft otherwise is a good step in the right direction. I do feel however that some AI cars pace should be altered slightly and it relates to team tiers. I've brought it up in a couple of threads but I feel that tier changes should make a return and expanded upon with mid season changes if certain conditions are met. For example if you succeed with several R&D's then perhaps your team moves up a tier to replace an under performing team in the higher tier. It would help liven up the career mode as well as mixing up the results somewhat. Williams this year for example have moved to what would be tier 1 over the course of the season. Mclaren in 2012 fluctuated between 1, 2 and even 3 at one stage. Track tiers could also be an idea as we've seen some teams struggle at certain tracks. Swapping Ferrari and Force India at Bahrain for example or Williams and Red Bull at Sochi. Aside from that there are some AI drivers that are performing consistently better or worse than they are this season. In my career so far Rosberg is consistently struggling to get on the podium which should not be the case going by the Mercedes' pace whereas Vettel seems to always be fighting for wins (usually the case but a big no for this season). Button underperforms compared to how he actually has this season and Massa seems to be in a completely lower tier to Bottas, same goes for Perez. In other words: I feel Rosberg,Button,Massa and Perez need an upgrade in performance and Vettel and Raikkonen a downgrade to make it a bit closer to this season. The gap between tier 1 and 2 is good in qualifying, but needs closing up for races and tier 3 needs to be a lot closer in general to tier 2 (a whole second gap is too much especially considering Toro Rosso have been right up there with the other teams). It's almost impossible for Toro Rosso to get close to the points as it is now.
Again it would help keep the results from being too similar and liven up the career mode so you're not targeting the same drivers in the championship.

- Overall
In general the game is a step up from last years game. I have noticed other improvements aside from what I've already mentioned such as in the weather, penalty system and the track getting quicker over the course of qualifying. (AI seem to actually improve on their first lap times in a session now). Online now also seems a lot more stable compared to previous seasons.
There are a couple of other suggestions I have for improvements though. I'm still in the belief that the player should suffer random race ending failures at times just like the AI does and more engine/brake/gearbox wear if you have simulation damage on in particular. I fully understand the reasons why the player doesn't suddenly suffer a DNF but it would greatly improve the atmosphere as you would never know if your car will make it to the end (just like in real life). Rewinds seem to remedy a failure if an AI suffers one. Rewind to a point before an AI car retires and they will carry on as normal for example. This could be the same for the player if they get frustrated with not being able to finish. I feel it would add to the immersion to the races and if the car wears down easier, it would give the player more incentive to preserve their cars just as in real F1.

In conclusion, I am happy with the improvements made in 2014 and I am personally enjoying the game as it has met my expectations. That being said, I personally feel some of the improvements that could be made that I've listed above could help turn this game from an upgrade of the previous game, to a big upgrade from the previous game, in my opinion anyway. I hope they can be considered for the future.
Really nice read. Enjoyed both positive and negative aspects. Something CM can take a look at and use effectively. 

Tyres I've found just as you have that they need managing. I tried to push in my second stint in Australia but with Rich Fuel and I had problems getting the traction down and was then defending for a couple of laps at the end of the stint. 

Malady stint I didn't push as hard. Stayed in standard more and was rewarded with grip all the way to the end. I know less fuel and and the track rubbering in helped but it was a nice drive