Sign in to follow this  

SPEAK TO THE PRESS AND MAKE HEADLINES IN F1® 2018

I have the fear that this will become repetitive and annoying after some time

Operator1 said:

With all the room for advancements/improvements to the game's core on-track experience, I wonder why there's so much effort/focus off-track instead.

Well, making a developer diary saying ' Here's all the bugs we fixed and physics we improved' wouldn't be the best marketing I guess, maybe for this forum, but not for the wider audience. But who's to say they didn't focus on the on-track experience equally as much, different people/coders for different areas of the game I'd say, one doesn't exclude the other. This diary was only the first of 4, so I'm sure there'll be some videos that focus on the on-track experience & handling etc soon enough.

Operator1 said:
With all the room for advancements/improvements to the game's core on-track experience, I wonder why there's so much effort/focus off-track instead.
Well, making a developer diary saying ' Here's all the bugs we fixed and physics we improved' wouldn't be the best marketing I guess, maybe for this forum, but not for the wider audience. But who's to say they didn't focus on the on-track experience equally as much, different people/coders for different areas of the game I'd say, one doesn't exclude the other. This diary was only the first of 4, so I'm sure there'll be some videos that focus on the on-track experience & handling etc soon enough.

As I've said many times before on other threads, there are countless creative ways for marketing to spin fixes/improvements into exciting-sounding advancements. It's hard for me to believe claims about "listening to the fans" without seeing/hearing them speak directly to some of the biggest items fans have been struggling with.

This video doesn't seem anything at all like a behind-the-scenes, hands-on, in-the-trenches "developer diary" like many other dev diaries I've seen in the past. Instead, this seemed very much like a scripted & staged game director interview & advertisement. It's not a bad video, but I wouldn't call it a "dev diary" by any stretch of the imagination.

F1 2018 looks promising, it's just after 8 years of so much promise from CodeMasters, it always fails to deliver. The games have always come out full of bugs, broken online, old liveries on the cars until an update comes in October when the real F1 season is nearly over, and many other things that are missing, don't be surprised if the game isn't what it appears now.

And also the F1 games are aimed at all ages, so the matchmaking feature to put you with other fair racers probably won't work, as many who play the F1 games are little kids that find it fun to ram you off.....Not wanting to sound negative, but that's the reality of the CM F1 games in the past 8 years, so i don't see why it would suddenly change this year.

Looks amazing.. Awesome..... and finally dev diary... Great Job guys.....  Can't wait.. I hope the physic and FF is also good to match the new graphic

martbloke said:
Just noticed in the video, 4.18 onwards where they race down to the 1st corner at Australia, all cars coming to the left hand side to take the corner and no one gambling up the inside. If this is actual gameplay, then there seems to still be the issue of being able to gain lots of places at the start. Hopefully I'm wrong though!  
How can you judge gameplay in 1 sec video, without know the AI level or other info?
Because that's what they have put out there. Am I not to judge anything they show publicly then? Is everything they are putting out a lie then? Must we wait for the actual game to judge it? If so, I'm not buying it. The whole point of marketing a game is to show it off as it plays to say, "Hey, look at our game. If you like what you see, come buy it!".

1 of the criticisms of the game over the years has been how easy it is to pass AI at the start on the 1st lap especially the 1st corner. I was just judging what I saw from what they put out about their game. Like I said, hopefully I am wrong but was just pointing it out!

martbloke said:
Just noticed in the video, 4.18 onwards where they race down to the 1st corner at Australia, all cars coming to the left hand side to take the corner and no one gambling up the inside. If this is actual gameplay, then there seems to still be the issue of being able to gain lots of places at the start. Hopefully I'm wrong though!  
How can you judge gameplay in 1 sec video, without know the AI level or other info?

How can others judge gameplay from tiny drip-fed partial peeks without other info and get excited enough to pre-order/purchase?

Operator1 said:

Operator1 said:

As I've said many times before on other threads, there are countless creative ways for marketing to spin fixes/improvements into exciting-sounding advancements. It's hard for me to believe claims about "listening to the fans" without seeing/hearing them speak directly to some of the biggest items fans have been struggling with.

This video doesn't seem anything at all like a behind-the-scenes, hands-on, in-the-trenches "developer diary" like many other dev diaries I've seen in the past. Instead, this seemed very much like a scripted & staged game director interview & advertisement. It's not a bad video, but I wouldn't call it a "dev diary" by any stretch of the imagination.

You have a point, but from a company point of view this isn't exactly a great idea. If Codies we're to say in a Dev Diary that they have fixed all the bugs presente in F1 2017, they would be advertising this as a feature. So, if this was to be proven untrue (as it is highly probabile tbh), the company could be sued for false advertising

carpa said:
Operator1 said:
Operator1 said:

You have a point, but from a company point of view this isn't exactly a great idea. If Codies we're to say in a Dev Diary that they have fixed all the bugs presente in F1 2017, they would be advertising this as a feature. So, if this was to be proven untrue (as it is highly probabile tbh), the company could be sued for false advertising

I don't see how that's any different than the risk they always take of false advertising claims for repeatedly releasing dysfunctional games. I also don't see how it isn't exactly a great idea from a company point of view to reassure their audience that they're addressing their audience's key concerns.

Again, I've never suggested that marketing spin doctors should plaster all of their advertisements with self-sabotaging slogans like "we fixed our broken game," but rather with more confidence-inspiring acknowledgements like "we've listened to our community and made some key advancements in the online aspects of the game to deliver our best & most reliable multiplayer experience yet." ...But instead, it's: "we have new technology for rendering clouds in the sky, and more menu-driven dialog options in post-race interviews" as if that's what fans have been clamoring for.

Operator1 said:

carpa said:
Operator1 said:
Operator1 said:

I don't see how that's any different than the risk they always take of false advertising claims for repeatedly releasing dysfunctional games. I also don't see how it isn't exactly a great idea from a company point of view to reassure their audience that they're addressing their audience's key concerns.

Again, I've never suggested that marketing spin doctors should plaster all of their advertisements with self-sabotaging slogans like "we fixed our broken game," but rather with more confidence-inspiring acknowledgements like "we've listened to our community and made some key advancements in the online aspects of the game to deliver our best & most reliable multiplayer experience yet." ...But instead, it's: "we have new technology for rendering clouds in the sky, and more menu-driven dialog options in post-race interviews" as if that's what fans have been clamoring for.

"the first of a four part series"
Some people struggle to read what is writen...
3 more part to tell a lot...

I mean, it's a nice video and all, but in what way is this a "developer diary"? 

EDIT: I see I'm to the first person in this thread to make this point, so move along. Nothing to see here.

UP100 said:
Now you see what happens when Mr Tyrant Ecclestone is no longer in charge of F1.....More freedom for all, even video game developers.....  B)
I don't see anything what could have not been done in the older games though?
Well, yeah... any feature could have been in any game, given the will and the resources. Half of game design is deciding what to put in, the other half is deciding what to leave out.

carpa said:
Operator1 said:

Operator1 said:

There's tons they could show us without getting into that territory, though. Just show us how they made all the stuff that Lee is standing there like a lemon talking about, for a start. The motion capture, the face scanning, the voice recording, the UI design for answering the questions (which looks a bit weird, to be honest)... all that stuff is interesting.

carpa said:
Operator1 said:

Operator1 said:

There's tons they could show us without getting into that territory, though. Just show us how they made all the stuff that Lee is standing there like a lemon talking about, for a start. The motion capture, the face scanning, the voice recording, the UI design for answering the questions (which looks a bit weird, to be honest)... all that stuff is interesting.
For sure. That's what I mean with Dev Diary and that's exactly why this isn't one. It's just PR talk. Nice, but still just PR talk, with no real insight on how these features are actually made

do you think that pre season testing is included in f1 2018? they have namely a second diary of career.

Operator1 said:

carpa said:
Operator1 said:
Operator1 said:

Have you ever seen 1 game beeing released without bugs or issues? Let alone a day 1 patch? Why do developers keep releasing patches for games? Because in every game people always finds the craziest glitches and bugs. 

From that perspective we may be glad that there’s internet so they CAN patch the game. Back in the days when internet wasn’t a thing (i’m getting OLD HAHA) and and a game was broken well... good luck ;)

and off course diaries like this are more towards the new features, and these were features that were also asked for on this forum, so look at it like this: if they can expand career mode and all like WE requested on this forum, MAYBE just maybe they have also fixed the issues? Who knows? 

But I’d rather see developers beeing hard at work to make the game better in stead of posting here all the time. Yes we have faya but we can’t expect her to explain what is wrong in the coding of a game. Has anyone done coding in his life? I did and it’s not cool when there’s issues. Solve it there, somewhere else can be another new issue...

i understand the pro’s and cons, but CM also proves that they ARE listening to the community

^Have you ever seen 1 game beeing released without bugs or issues?

•  Depends on the game 
  •  If a game has bug/glitches at release we end up relying on support through patches and by judging on fair assessment what's happened in the past it can't always be relied upon in the future with Codemasters
  • Glitches happen in most games but it doesn't mean we can't accept a standard in quality or any standard's to aim for.    

All I say is that devs make patches for a reason, not only cosmetic stuff...

IMO F1 should be a “live” game. With a base to start from, let’s say f1 2018 and every year the game get’s updated to newest year and previous years keep existing. From that perspective career mode get more interesting because you have more years to work from.

every year you pay for the new year update which can be a fraction of the price 

think like destiny, major expansions which get the ge going again.

and i can keep on going and going hahaha

AlexTT said:

i understand the pro’s and cons, but CM also proves that they ARE listening to the community

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137512/f1-2018-game-to-have-career-rules-shake-ups