Sign in to follow this  

2014 Review - awesome and terrible at the same time.

I'm an F1 gaming addict. I knew it would have lot of bugs. I knew that I would get really frustrated, yet I still brought it full price on release day. Even if nobody reads this, I feel I need to at least let out some steam. So here are my thoughts so far:

After the ridiculously pointless driver evaluation test, assists were turned off and straight to time attack for some initial practice. My wheel settings for 2013 seemed just fine, and after a couple of laps getting used to the throttle I noticed I'd already hit gold. 10 minutes later and I've done all the golds. Thanks CM what a thrilling challenge that was! Put a god damn platinum medal in there at Legend pace is it that hard?

Then to scenarios. Traditionally I like to fly through these as practice, and fly through them I did! The only scenario that I didn't beat at the first attempt was the first hard challenge in the rain at Malaysia when I span out. Once again CM, why not have a Legend paced set of scenarios? This game mode is the king of untapped potential.

Season Challenge next, on hard. After 2 races I'm in a Toro Rosso after finishing way too high up in a Marussia. Then I win the next 2 races and I've moved to Williams. Any challenge has gone, too easy. Once again, why not set at Legend on hardest? It's as if it's not even at Expert pace.

By now I'm getting used to the game and decide to do a bit of practice at Austria, Russia and Hockenheim. Into Time Trial and I really enjoy getting to know these tracks. All 3 of them awesome in my opinion. I really like the new gearbox, and the engine sounds decent to me. It also seems that I'm quicker with some Aero which is something I've always wanted to see. But time will tell on what the optimum setups will be.

Then to online sprint mode for more practice and hopefully some fun! With my new fibre optic internet connection I didn't disconnect even once and I can't even recall many lag issues so was nicely surprised. Having accepted long ago the chaotic nature of these races, I simply zen out and get on with it, barely flinching even if someone takes me out immediately and on purpose, I'm just used to it now! Watch out for KING O BUD though on the xbox, that's the one dude that still gets to me, he joins 25% lobbies with the sole purpose of seeing how many drivers races he can ruin and he's successful at his work! He's the ultimate pr*ck! Anyway, moving on. It seems that everything will be the same as 2013 regarding online, which means plenty of issues but I'm sure I'll mostly enjoy it! I certainly get plenty of enjoyment from probably 75% of races online. Lets just hope they re-design everything regarding online for 2015.

I was initially disappointed when I started Career mode. Everything is the same! The stupid emails are the same! The font is the same! The menus are the same! The Engineer speech is the same! Ted Kravitz can't be skipped, or was it David Croft?? I can't remember. But seriously CM, these little details are important. It doesn't feel new and fresh enough. Straight to Melbourne, in the Mclaren. Always easy at this track based on previous games but not this time. AI are strong, and the traction is damn hard to manage. I'm a few tenths off Jenson in Qualy, perfect! At this stage I'm happy as Legend pace looks to be the perfect challenge. Raced 100% and finished 11th, really hard and slightly disappointing result, but it felt god damn realistic.

Then on to Malaysia, and it's raining full wets in Qualy. Something not right here though, my foot doesn't seem to have the required sensitivity to manage the traction. Restart session, fit a full aero soft wet setup. A bit better but not really. AI are just flying out of all corners. Not sure it's even possible to match them and top league racers are also struggling. Then we hear that apparently it's being looked into. Probably 2 months before a patch is out. I qualify last and just get on with it for now. Race to do tonight hopefully if time allows.

So there is plenty of fun to be had with this game if you find an AI level that suits you and I am thoroughly enjoying it 90% of the time, but it comes with all the usual frustrating issues that have plagued the series over the years. It causes a lot of anger in the community, and although I don't agree with a lot of the criticism CM gets, they deserve the rest of it. If I were a top dog at CM, I'd be asking a lot of questions. Too much of it is a blatant copy/paste job from 2013, which is poor form. With a new set of rules and regs, completely different cars, you could at least have redesigned the basic aesthetics and visuals. So disappointing.

2015 - I hope many lessons are learned, please test it to the max. Get the top youtubers in to test it for a day or two, they would enjoy the experience of visiting codies and you could award them with a free special copy or whatever for their efforts. These guys should be utilised given their commitment to the series! Please make a list of every bug we've found since 2010 and test to ensure each bug is not repeated again. Fingers crossed...........

You knew it would be bad yet you still bought it..   I have no sympathy for you, you should have simply not bought it.  I'm still playing F1 2013 and its fine, I have no intentions of throwing more money at CM when I know for a fact they don't give a damn about giving us a good game, they are just milking us dry.  Well Steve Hood, enough is enough for me, you'll get no more here.  but I guess like the poster above, there are still a lot of people you can scam.

Seniku said:
You knew it would be bad yet you still bought it..   I have no sympathy for you, you should have simply not bought it.  I'm still playing F1 2013 and its fine, I have no intentions of throwing more money at CM when I know for a fact they don't give a damn about giving us a good game, they are just milking us dry.  Well Steve Hood, enough is enough for me, you'll get no more here.  but I guess like the poster above, there are still a lot of people you can scam.

Good for you, but why because the OP has bought it he's been scammed? Can you not accept they are enjoying it? Fair enough you haven't parted with your cash but why bash someone taking their time out to write and comment about their good and bad experiences? 

Seniku said:

F1 2013 is a sham compared to 2014. I never enjoyed it. It always felt like garbage and too arcadey and slidey. 2014 feels like a real step forward in terms of core gameplay. Much better than '13.

Seniku said:

F1 2013 is a sham compared to 2014. I never enjoyed it. It always felt like garbage and too arcadey and slidey. 2014 feels like a real step forward in terms of core gameplay. Much better than '13.
that pretty much describes how I feel about 2013 as well aside from the classics I couldn't really find anything enjoyable about it. Whereas I've thoroughly enjoyed the races I've done on 14 so far

Wasn't too sure about 2014 for the first couple of days but now I've got used to the new cars I definitely prefer it to 2013. Sochi is a great addition as is the return of Hochenhiem. Thumbs up from me!

That's great news.
codies are hiring test engineers http://blog.codemasters.com/careers/08/video-games-test-engineers/
Hopefully they already have some!
Seniku said:

I said I knew it would have issues but still brought it. Not after sympathy. I don't regret buying it. It's a not scam is it? If I am fully aware of the fact that the game may have issues, yet still buy it, then that's my choice. Nobody is being scammed dude.