Sign in to follow this  

2014 should have been an add-on

I feel that 2014 should have been an add-on. Thee hasn't been much change from the F1 2010 game and the tracks have all been reused on each game. All Codemasters have ever done is introduce subtle changes in graphics for the cars and had to make a few extra tracks, maybe tinker a bit with physics too. Everything else is identical to 2010, so instead of a new F1 title, we should have got add-ons for 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

There isn't that much of a change to warrant it to be called a new title and charging new prices for it when the work was previously done on the titles preceeding 2014

I feel that 2014 should have been an add-on. Thee hasn't been much change from the F1 2010 game and the tracks have all been reused on each game. All Codemasters have ever done is introduce subtle changes in graphics for the cars and had to make a few extra tracks, maybe tinker a bit with physics too. Everything else is identical to 2010, so instead of a new F1 title, we should have got add-ons for 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

There isn't that much of a change to warrant it to be called a new title and charging new prices for it when the work was previously done on the titles preceeding 2014
you could use the same argument for Fifa though unfortunately companies like CM need to make money and the best way to do that is to approach it this way that's why EA do the same with Fifa each year.

I think 11-13 had sufficient changes to warrant a new game.
14, however, takes the p.....
not only is there nothing new, but half the content has been removed in comparison to the previous game. It's the bare minimum and it's not great quality. 
A real kick in the teeth to fans of the series.
I think in terms of features you're right but the overall feel for me is certainly better than 13 though so in that way it's better. But then I would rather have fewer features that are good and work well than lots of features that don't right now though. As 2013 was a massive disappointment for me whereas I'm liking 2014

I think 2014 is a slight improvement over 2013, but yeah, not really enough of a difference to warrant a completely new game. It's still a good game on it's own, but considering 2013 already exists it's a bit disappointing. I think that having the license requires them to produce a new game every year, so I don't really blame them. I'm still going to have fun playing it, so I have no regrets buying the game.

In particular, I'm disappointed that all the "live the life" stuff has been reduced year after year. Since 2010, I was expecting that aspect to become more and more prominent with each new game, but it turned out to be the complete opposite. Without that, career mode gets stale pretty fast.

Awong124 said:
I think 2014 is a slight improvement over 2013, but yeah, not really enough of a difference to warrant a completely new game. It's still a good game on it's own, but considering 2013 already exists it's a bit disappointing. I think that having the license requires them to produce a new game every year, so I don't really blame them. I'm still going to have fun playing it, so I have no regrets buying the game.

In particular, I'm disappointed that all the "live the life" stuff has been reduced year after year. Since 2010, I was expecting that aspect to become more and more prominent with each new game, but it turned out to be the complete opposite. Without that, career mode gets stale pretty fast.
I wasn't expecting live the life to return for 2014 anyway especially after it was confirmed it was a old gen game.  I always thought we'd have to wait until this series goes next gen at least before that can enter the discussion so hopefully in 2015 there's a chance that can come back.

Codemasters are not forcing anyone to buy it are they. People can always wait a couple of months after a game is released to read reviews and listen to feedback before spending money on it can't they?

It's not only the 'live the life' aspect that disappeared. The paddock menus went. The menus became sterile and empty, too. 
You don't get a sense of the atmosphere at an F1 race..
You don't see the crowds, or the drivers without helmets. There's no grid build up, or people in the pitlane.
you get the impression that the cars are the only moving things at an empty circuit.
the F1 atmosphere is non-existent!

tbh I saw the paddock menu's as part of the live the life really anyway. The only thing we can do is see what the next gen games bring now and hope they bring some of this back.

Craig1405 said:

Codemasters are not forcing anyone to buy it are they. People can always wait a couple of months after a game is released to read reviews and listen to feedback before spending money on it can't they?

no they're not but it would have been nice to have seen something like an old feature back or a new feature being added to replace the classics. 2014 is still a good game and people were expecting more but I think they've tried to go with quality rather than quantity this year by trying to tweak and improve what features that are there rather than giving us new ones. Plus with fewer staff working on 2014 due to the majority focused on 2015 it was more about consolidating what they already had

Awong124 said:

I wasn't expecting live the life to return for 2014 anyway especially after it was confirmed it was a old gen game.  I always thought we'd have to wait until this series goes next gen at least before that can enter the discussion so hopefully in 2015 there's a chance that can come back.
I agree. I wasn't disappointed about 2014 lacking live the life in particular, but as the series progressed as a whole.