Sign in to follow this  

Please don't patch out the handling

Great car handling this year. So hard to get a consistent pace. You have to actually pay attention for every turn, great stuff.

None of this flying through slow turns in high revs with the engine screaming malarkey (They tried to rectify that in 2012 by blowing your engine but the children they did cry about it so they patched that out)
None of this braking too late and revving from 8th to 2nd in a millisecond, that'll just break your rear traction with the forward load. It's just great. Completely neutralised 90% of idiots that think driving an F1 car is like driving around on Trackmania.

Driving on the grass will spin you out.....Fantastic. No more going wide and just sticking in to the throttle and not losing any speed at all whilst rallying on grass.  Parabolica a fine example.

Please don't dumb it down for the arcade lovers. If they want an arcade game there's lots. Don't patch out the elements that make the game realistic just for a few, vocal minority people that couldn't drive a go-kart with TC.

There needs to be a patch, especially for the game breaking AI wet pace, but thats all. Please don't touch the handling. 

What about lock-ups? I still haven't bought the game yet but I'm waiting to see if CM will patch this in. I've heard numerous complaints that it's nearly impossible to lock-up the brakes even with no assists.

Id agree with your points on the handling when it comes to no assists but what about those who play with them and are on rails? Whilst the handling is the best part of the game imo the advantage AI/ppl get using tc and abs have is unreal and a total killer for online racing. Imo the tc needs looking at in the game as it not only gives great traction it is without doubt a stability control 2! Lol on the go kart comment! you must drive some powerfull go karts if you think ppl couldnt drive them without tc :)

vtidixon said:
Id agree with your points on the handling when it comes to no assists but what about those who play with them and are on rails? Whilst the handling is the best part of the game imo the advantage AI/ppl get using tc and abs have is unreal and a total killer for online racing. Imo the tc needs looking at in the game as it not only gives great traction it is without doubt a stability control 2! Lol on the go kart comment! you must drive some powerfull go karts if you think ppl couldnt drive them without tc :)
Go-Karts are weak and easy to drive. Maybe the easiest vehicle type on the planet after a bicycle. That was the joke.

I'm not to sure about the TC as I use a wheel no assists. I understand there needs to be a patch for pad users but thats separate I suppose.

I was just really annoyed when in 2012 the engine blew if you abused it and they patched it out 'cos all the whining little brats wouldn't adapt and learn to actually drive the damn car. I just hope we don't have the same with this years ''Waaaah, the wheel spin is too much'' crowd. Make them learn to drive the game instead of giving them a free pass like in 2012.

What about lock-ups? I still haven't bought the game yet but I'm waiting to see if CM will patch this in. I've heard numerous complaints that it's nearly impossible to lock-up the brakes.
It's not. The rears lock up a lot more. This seems to be because Codies have improved the physics so that forward load in heavy braking zones actually happens. There didn't seem to be any change in weight load in previous versions but this one seem,s to have got it pretty accurate.

If you don't adjust your brake balance and go in to a heavy braking zone your rears will lock, many just don' t notice this because they drive with T-Cam so cant see the rears and because a lot of them have zilch idea of what locking the rear feels like they automatically see no locked fronts and assume theres no brake locking at all.

Fronts lock more with rear bias in light braking zones before fast turns. Rears lock more in heavy braking zones before slow speed turns.

Hmm, that's very weird. The very first thing many people notice is that they're not getting lock-ups whereas they surely would in 2013 for the same braking.

I've got to admit, as a pad user, I'm really enjoying the handling.

Yes the brakes don't lock up easily, but they locked far too easily in 2013

Yes there seems to be a bit more traction than last season, but they broke traction far too easily last year, and I still get wheelspin and traction loss.

The only problem with it is being a bit too heavy and unresponsive, try taking the nouvelle chicane at Monaco. I prefer the cars heavier than last year though, 2013 was like skating on ice.

Unfortunately the wheel users will b!tch and moan until they go back to beating pad users online by 2 seconds a lap, and the handling probably will be patched out :( 

2013 braking was broken. Had to brake 50 metres before the cars in real life. Locked up if you went hard on the brakes for too long (No relation to load, just like it was simply on a timer)

Brake lock ups are not really that common IRL when you think about it. You'll see one or two per driver over a whole weekend.

I think it's better this year, but everyone is their own judge on these matters so what I like others won't.  I can deal with it if they made more lock ups, but would like them to keep throttle control, wheelspin and weight transfer the same and even go as far as to say the engines are too durable but as we've learned in 2012, breaking your engine because it was abused is not a popular game feature. I loved it.

I agree mate 12 had it right with damaging your engine with quick downshifts but sadly most of the vids on youtube ppl still do this and with rear brake bias also. Like you I feel the rear stepping out under heavy breaking and that with down shifting when I feel I should so guess that me lacking skill compared with them and not the game being that much better this year (shifting) There is something off when it comes to braking imo as it does seem like you can brake as hard as you like and not have any wheels stop rotating. I was spectating my m8 earlier in coop around hungary and he broke at the 50m board (turn 1) and just turned in whilst still breaking all the way around the corner, he was using abs but that should never be possible with or without abs

Hmm, that's very weird. The very first thing many people notice is that they're not getting lock-ups whereas they surely would in 2013 for the same braking.
When I say 'a lot more' I dont mean more than previous games, I mean more than is being represented by players at the moment.

vtidixon said:

I agree mate 12 had it right with damaging your engine with quick downshifts but sadly most of the vids on youtube ppl still do this and with rear brake bias also. Like you I feel the rear stepping out under heavy breaking and that with down shifting when I feel I should so guess that me lacking skill compared with them and not the game being that much better this year (shifting) There is something off when it comes to braking imo as it does seem like you can brake as hard as you like and not have any wheels stop rotating. I was spectating my m8 earlier in coop around hungary and he broke at the 50m board (turn 1) and just turned in whilst still breaking all the way around the corner, he was using abs but that should never be possible with or without abs

Fair enough, that shouldnt happen. Those tyres should be locked up so much theyd have exploded with a move like that IRL.

vtidixon said:
There is something off when it comes to braking imo as it does seem like you can brake as hard as you like and not have any wheels stop rotating. I was spectating my m8 earlier in coop around hungary and he broke at the 50m board (turn 1) and just turned in whilst still breaking all the way around the corner, he was using abs but that should never be possible with or without abs
Yes, this is what I'm hearing from everyone that's played 2013. Right now, 2014 braking is so easy that it's a joke, even if played with a wheel and no assists.

Ye defo need more lockups in game as it just not realistic the way it is now! I feel the backend coming around sometimes but sometimes it seems more like lack of grip than me locking up. I watch every session on sky and there are lots of lockups all the time esp in practice as the drivers are finding the limits. Braking this year is much harder irl so why we not locking up is beyond me yet alone being able to turn and break at the same time (abs). Im sure hamilton n rosberg would tell you how easy it is to lock the front wheels this year as both have had many

You should have made it clear in the original post that you are using a wheel.... I agree about the handling on the wheel. BUT they need to patch out the assists on pad because even with all assists off it is clear they still have traction control and it has ruined leagues around the world due to advantages/disadvantages of a control device. It is not about the driver anymore which is why there has been a lot of complaints. Have the dumbed down pad handling as the default setting or whatever... but how hard would it have been to have it, so that when they turn assists off.... they actually turn off? That is how ridiculous this bug is.

completely agree with this thread, and i run no assists and if you brake to late and try get the car turned in you might pinch the front tyre that is unloaded ( going from a fast straight into a right hander the right front would lock up, but if you flick the grass or kerb and apply full brakes well thats when you lock up a lot which is correct with the new cars this year

The handling model is fine. They just need to adjust the AI so they actually lock-up and spin the tires. Right now they floor it off all the corners without wheelspin. Ridiculous.

As for the traction control issues and brake lock-ups online with both wheels and pads, they absolutely need to make the TC assist less powerful somehow and make the pads slower in the wet and maybe give them a bit more wheelspin in the dry. I haven't done much with lock-ups but I really adore the rear-to-front load under braking and loss of traction in the rears if you get it wrong. I do feel like it is much harder to lock the fronts up and in places like Hungary where we saw lots of drivers locking up in turn 2, it should not be like that.

Whatever CM does they need to make pads slower (even with wheel users) and do something about TC being incredibly over-powered.

Craig1405 said:
Just out of interest do real F1 cars have any sort of traction control now?
Banned in 2009.

I'm really gonna have to have a go on the pad. I'll naturally be slower with it as I've used the wheel for so long but I need to get a taste of what all the fuss is about with the pad.  If it's how I picture it from the descriptions on this forum then it sounds too easy, but then as I say I have no idea right now.

I agree regarding that when assists go off, they actually should. But seriously,  some wheel users need to realise that pads are SO much slower through a lot of the corners. When wheels can turn in so much faster it's ridiculous! Take Hockenheim, me and a fellow pad mate can stick with our wheel using mate up until the last sector, then it's no contest, wheel user just drives off into the distance. 

HSVDT15 said:
I agree regarding that when assists go off, they actually should. But seriously,  some wheel users need to realise that pads are SO much slower through a lot of the corners. When wheels can turn in so much faster it's ridiculous! Take Hockenheim, me and a fellow pad mate can stick with our wheel using mate up until the last sector, then it's no contest, wheel user just drives off into the distance. 
Also pad users are way slower at monaco, im a pad user, love the track but try racing in a league with wheel users.. Well no way the chicanes you need to throw the car into you cant do with a pad

I am using a g27 racing wheel and find handling in F1 2014 better than before. F1 2010 was pad happy arcade and after F1 2011 floating disaster, the handling seems to improve with each installment and I hope this will continue for 2015 as well. Indeed it is a learning process for developers and they are getting better and better at it.

Compared to excellent flowing and curvy tracks, the modern formula tracks consists of slow and tight corners at angles which only became enjoyable with more control offered in F1 2014. Technical tracks like Malaysia and China are now enjoyable. Earlier it felt as if car is good only on racing line but in 2014, I can pick a different racing line with proper control.

F1 2014 might be short on content and expectation, but is a step up on a most important element... Handling.
I won't go back to 2013 after playing 2014 for sure and that's a good enough reason for me to say that F1 2014 is an improvement.