Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revealed – The Full List of F1® 2018 Classic Cars

So wouldn't it make much more sense to simply pay less for the licence, thus losing exclusivity,
You say that as if it's up to Codemasters. FOM own the licenses, it's them who decide whether to allow exclusivity or not, and at what cost.

The list is over so?
The proper for this old cars,is old tracks also...
Any chance??

So wouldn't it make much more sense to simply pay less for the licence, thus losing exclusivity,
You say that as if it's up to Codemasters. FOM own the licenses, it's them who decide whether to allow exclusivity or not, and at what cost.
Yeah it is quiet expensive and if no one else is willing to pay for it then that's up to them. CM are only exclusive because they're the only ones atm that seem willing to pay the money required for it. Just like EA largely do with the football scene and the Fifa series

*Spends hours cleaning up all the drool*..

This is awesome! Keep the current classics AND returning those stunning turbos! And especially the Hunt Lauda cars! What a custom race that will be! Very nice mix of old and new

@scottishwildcat
@sjsharp2010

I agree, it's the FOM who decide who will and who won't get the rights to hold the F1 licence and at what price but that doesn't change the premise that:

Costs of Exclusive Licences > Costs of Standard Licences.

In other words, exclusivity usually comes with a significantly higher price tag than one could imagine.

Money talks.

-----------------------------

Commercial Licences that are connected to huge sales and a projection of possible income are, almost, always available to interested third parties and or privateers as long as the original owners of the licence itself want to expand their reach towards a wider range of branches and get in more paying customers to manifest their brand.

Exclusivity can thus only be achieved if a third party company and or privateer is willing to pay the necessary fees to get ahold of the rights no matter how high the price might be and or if the original owner of the licence is willing to pick and choose their "workers" depending on their own set list of criterias.

Still, i, personally, highly doubt that no other gaming studio was approaching the FOM to get ahold of the F1 licence as Slightly Mad Studios were actively interested in getting hands on it last year but couldn't manage to make out a deal simply because Codemasters, very likely, paid insane amounts of money.

The problem with this business practice is that Codemasters, who are a small company that have been floating in the stock market a couple of months ago with a ultra tiny networth of only 200 million bucks, are painfully little compared to behemoths such as EA and thus, logically, shouldn't be able to afford this economic disaster at all, yet they are doing it regardless of the outcome whilst being fully aware that the cost of such a plan, hypothetically, is most definitely going to limit the output of both creativity and quality due to not having enough monetary goods to invest anymore.

Hence why their questionable economic decision of maintaining exclusivity of the F1 licence doesn't make any sense at all in the long run, which i was, indirectly, pointing out at my earlier post.

Couple of questions that come across my mind regarding this topic:

Are Codemasters maybe afraid of competition?

Are the FOM happy with Codemasters and do not value a healthy fight in the gaming business to ensure quality?

Are Slightly Mad Studios, or even other racing game studios in general, too stingy to pay more than Codemasters do?

PS: Speaking of EA / FIFA, they pay insane amounts of money to monopolize exclusivity, and now they even snatched more of the super expensive licences under the toes of KONAMI / PES and got ahold of the EU Club Tournaments (Champions League etc.) too, as money talks and not sentiments of fairplay, but the thing is, EA can easily afford this business practice without having to be too concerned about any negative outcome unlike Codemasters.

Either way, having a healthy competition will always be one of the best ways of pushing the boundaries and that sadly isn't the case with both F1 themed games and Football games.....

Additional content is welcome, but "revealing" that a car racing game has cars to race just doesn't hype me up. What can we do in the game that's new & compelling compared to prior titles & compared to competing titles?

@scottishwildcat
@sjsharp2010

I agree, it's the FOM who decide who will and who won't get the rights to hold the F1 licence and at what price but that doesn't change the premise that:

Costs of Exclusive Licences > Costs of Standard Licences.

In other words, exclusivity usually comes with a significantly higher price tag than one could imagine.

Money talks.

Commercial Licences that are connected to huge sales and a projection of possible income are, almost, always available to interested third parties and or privateers as long as the original owners of the licence itself want to expand their reach towards a wider range of branches and get in more paying customers to manifest their brand.

Exclusivity can thus only be achieved if a third party company and or privateer is willing to pay the necessary fees to get ahold of the rights no matter how high the price might be and or if the original owner of the licence is willing to pick and choose their "workers" depending on their own set list of criterias.

Still, i, personally, highly doubt that no other gaming studio was approaching the FOM to get ahold of the F1 licence as Slightly Mad Studios were actively interested in getting hands on it last year but couldn't manage to make out a deal simply because Codemasters, very likely, paid insane amounts of money.

The problem with this business practice is that Codemasters, who are a small company that have been floating in the stock market a couple of months ago with a ultra tiny networth of only 200 million bucks, are painfully little compared to behemoths such as EA and thus, logically, shouldn't be able to afford this economic disaster at all, yet they are doing it regardless of the outcome whilst being fully aware that the cost of such a plan, hypothetically, is most definitely going to limit the output of both creativity and quality due to not having enough monetary goods to invest anymore.

Hence why their questionable economic decision of maintaining exclusivity of the F1 licence doesn't make any sense at all in the long run, which i was, indirectly, pointing out at my earlier post.

Couple of questions that come across my mind regarding this topic:

Are Codemasters maybe afraid of competition?

Are the FOM happy with Codemasters and do not value a healthy fight in the gaming business to ensure quality?

Are Slightly Mad Studios, or even other racing game studios in general, too stingy to pay more than Codemasters do?

PS: Speaking of EA / FIFA, they pay insane amounts of money to monopolize exclusivity, and now they even snatched more of the super expensive licences under the toes of KONAMI / PES and got ahold of the EU Club Tournaments (Champions League etc.) too, as money talks and not sentiments of fairplay, but the thing is, EA can easily afford this business practice without having to be too concerned about any negative outcome unlike Codemasters.

Either way, having a healthy competition will always be one of the best ways of pushing the boundaries and that sadly isn't the case with both F1 themed games and Football games.....

I don't know about whether CM are afraid of competition as after all they've been making games for over 30 years heck I remember playing the old Dizzy games for example on the Amstrad CPC 464 growing up and I turned 40 earlier this year back in May so that's a long time. I think  they've just got a bigger budget in general than SMS because for me comparing P Cars with the F1 games yes both are good fun to play but I feel CM's games just seem to have a bit more polish about them. the interface just generally looks nicer in CM's games whereas in terms of look P Cars feels a bit more like PES in that it plays nice but isn't so nice and polished in terms o f it's interface look and features. Whereas CM's F1 games do feel a little bit more like EA's Fifa more interested in having nice features that not only look good but make the modes interesting to use at least to me that's how I feel.  The main thing is that saves PCars from being swamped is that it's not just open wheel cars as you can race all kinds of machines in the game. Whereas CM's F1 games are just that F1 and the world surrounding it.

Must admit I think PES is going to struggle this year having lost that licensing back to FIFA because I think that was all that was keeping PES afloat. But I'm looking forward to the UEFA licensing being back in Fifa as it's going to play a crucial part in the third part of The journey story mode FIFA have been doing the past 2 seasons as one of your main tasks as Alex is winning the Champions League. It's also going to be the final part of the story I've heard as well. Though atm that's all I do know about that game mode atm. Also what with the Premier league licensing  already in from previous seasons and all I think Fifa 19 will feel more like the complete game. They've stayed tight lipped about what exactly we can expect beyond that but I did read yesterday that more details could be coming out soon  on the new stuff in Fifa 19 before the end of the month in fact.

It's funny, we only know off FOM restrictions/licensing based on what Codemasters have told us....
The same Codemasters that have such a shoddy way of communicating with the community and dealing with community issues re the game.

Yet....so many on here seem to know the ins and outs of FOM/Formula 1 game, like they broker the licence deals themselves. I find it hilarious... 

Oh! While I'm here.... for the 10,000th time... CODEMASTERS ARE YOU GOING TO COMMENT AT ALL ON FIXES/STABILITY FOR ONLINE PLAY? 

As were familiar with your inability to make online a smooth experience...nobody expects "we fixed" or "we didn't fix"... but at least a sentence along the line of "We've heard your concerns and have been rigorously addressing our code and practices in this area" corporate spew it may be... but how hard would it really be!? Seems to me, a lot simpler than the attention you've put into to the classic car announcements.

I smell a (all to familiar) rat!

What is this FOM acronym everyone throws around.

Ive been scared to ask for Months , but alas , please help...
Yeah it's Formula management basically the people who run the sport of F1

Great seeing all the classic cars from yesteryear returning to the game in addition to the new lineup this year! Nice job Codemasters! 

Still won't care about classic cars until we can do full seasons with full rosters on them, i.e. all 2004 cars/tracks/rules etc. Until then it's just garnish. I hope they're not a part of the career this time either, but I assume they have to justify having them in somehow.

Ho3n3r said:
Still won't care about classic cars until we can do full seasons with full rosters on them, i.e. all 2004 cars/tracks/rules etc. Until then it's just garnish. I hope they're not a part of the career this time either, but I assume they have to justify having them in somehow.

Personally I liked the fact they we re part of career mode in 2017 and using them in one off events. It makes for a nice little distraction having those unique little challenges. As for them being able to do full seasons and all that you said that would likely be incredibly difficult  to do as the game has to focus on the modern season. I could see them adding a few classic tracks at some point but I don't think they'll go further than that.

Ho3n3r said:

You sort of could in 2017 couldn't you?

In the Championships mode, you can do a championship with cars from a certain year and with the calendar from when it was 16/17 tracks. You can't change rules lie that but you can race in championships with classic cars only and all the same car. Not ideal but it's decent.

I think how the classic cars are used in career is a bit of a waste too. What's the point in having some stupid overtaking chalenge where you can't fully enjoy the car? Just make them all time trials.