Sign in to follow this  

Anyone got any good tips for racing on full wets?

As per title. I use no assists and am really struggling on full wets. My wet races consist of doing as well as I can on the 1st corner and then holding up the AI's behind me for the duration of the entire race. Just can't pull away from them and certainly can't gain on those in front of me. All advice greatly appreciated.

Craig1405 said:
As per title. I use no assists and am really struggling on full wets. My wet races consist of doing as well as I can on the 1st corner and then holding up the AI's behind me for the duration of the entire race. Just can't pull away from them and certainly can't gain on those in front of me. All advice greatly appreciated.
tbh that's pretty much what I do. I justtry to make up places where I can by looking for gaps just sa I do in the dry really racing in the wet on the F1 games is quite challenging.  tbh though I do enjoy the challenge. I don't tend to make it past as many in the wet as I do the dry. I can more or less run the same pace as them though on 2014

Short shift off corners. It'll give you the traction you need so you're not stuck spinning the wheels too much. Up to fifth gear you shouldn't see any revlights come up on the HUD. Higher ride height and easing the throttle in very gently also helps. For braking, lift earlier for the corner then brake. Essentially, you should be driving as if you're preserving tyres and saving fuel in a dry race, but for the whole race. Staying on either standard or lean fuel mix will also help and only switch to rich for the straights.
Wider corner entries on medium speed corners (such as the esses at Suzuka) should also benefit you.

Yes my advice is push the start button, and scroll down to retire from race. You should find the next race has better weather

@ Wynterdust. Just did a career race at Silverstone on full wets and applied the techniques you suggested. Managed to qualify in 9th. Fought my way up to  4th by turn 3 in my Ferrari with cars right on my tale. However using your techniques I managed to open up a 3 second gap by the end of the race which gave me some breathing space. I know 3 seconds over a whole race is not a lot but it's a massive step forward for me and shows I'm starting to improve. Going to really practise your techniques over the weekend and try to improve further. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Wanorak said:
Yes my advice is push the start button, and scroll down to retire from race. You should find the next race has better weather

Tell you what, I really did that in 2012 for a couple of times in career cos I was so pissed off by the constant ráin....

The AI pace in the wet is so ridiculous I've now decided that if rain is forecast I'll exit to the menu so I can drop the difficulty down a notch so it's realistic again and put it back when it's dry

RipperGP said:
The AI pace in the wet is so ridiculous I've now decided that if rain is forecast I'll exit to the menu so I can drop the difficulty down a notch so it's realistic again and put it back when it's dry

That's actually a pretty damn good idea, I think I'll try that, too. Thx!

Craig1405 said:
Turn on traction control assist.  (I know, your pride will take a hit, but until the patch this is a quick fix)

OGFedfan said:
Craig1405 said:
Turn on traction control assist.  (I know, your pride will take a hit, but until the patch this is a quick fix)
Has a patch been confirmed?

Craig1405 said:
my advice at the moment retire and move to next session

Suggest you retire. Too dangerous to race in the wets with such a less traction and OP AI. Not worth your life.

Im one who is struggling with wet weather but finding if I drive slow and not try to go fast my times are dropping. My biggest problem is getting used to using higher gears and short shifting all the time as the last 4 games it was a case of breaking the same and getting on the power with not much control as the times were only bout 4 sec slower a lap compared with a dry session, this year it is broken where the AI have tc and abs so ppl notice them driving away more but as far as just improving my own lap times I keep telling myself smooth is fast and quite often the stop watch says the same :)