Sign in to follow this  

Next Gen is surely time to add flesh to the bare bones

After 5 instalments (not counting 2009) of Codemaster's F1 franchise it's time they started adding flesh to the bare bones of their games. Next Gen has got to be the time they reverse their own trend of stripping out content and start adding the things people have beens asking for since 2011.

Surely there are only so many years the Codies team can keep selling us the same source code! Across all their 5 games they have learnt how to re-create the car handling and physics to the point where every year they are essentially changing a few parameters and labelling it as all new handling! TIME ENOUGH! Can we please have some more content that reflects real F1? After all the game is supposed to be the Official Licensed Product of F1. For a start Pitstops have been a major bugbear of mine. In real F1 pitstops are crucial for strategy and if the player had the ability to control how good their pitstop was it would added another level to Career and multiplayer. Instead for 5 years we've had to put up with a weak cutscene! In the Codemasters games a pitstop is essentially a chore. Every race you go through the motions to achieve the exact same time to come out in the exact same place once everyone else has pitted. Yawn. This is an area of the game I would really like to see be improved. Maybe the speed of each pitstop could be based on how good your In lap is? or something along th e lines of F1 CE's button sequence pitstop? Or just giving the gamer more control over driving into the pit box (within reason!) obviously not allowing people to go crashing into over pit crews. How ever it is done it needs to add much needed variation to the game.

This brings me nicely onto the starts! Yet again this year in order to achieve a good start you just rev the hell out of the engine! Can we have a clutch? I have suggested before about using the Right Analog Stick in the up position to act as the clutch on race start. That way I could set my rev point with the clutch pressed and on race start the release speed and amount of acceleration greatly impacts on how good a start you get. Again adding some much needed variation to the starts. At present everyone revs the hell out the engine and all pull away at the same speed. Yawn.

Next, the Engineer content is old and stale. Can we have some more meaningful engineer feedback related to real time race into.  Can this be coupled with more car reliability issues? Brakes that actually do overheat, increase engine wear, especially on units that have been used more than once, Energy recovery failures, battery over heating, intermittent power failures as a consequence of not listening to the engineer's warnings.

Ai still need to be more opportunistic when going for an overtake. Yesterday on my career I was in a Mclaren and being followed by Nico Rosberg. for 3 laps he was in the DRS zone and everytime he would cruise up behind me with ease only to back out. I wasn't weaving all over the track or blocking yet he would get close to me and back off! I do like how this year the Ai squeeze you but in general I would like to see more committed Ai.

Live the Life needs to be brought back with more emphasis on building up your career. I would prefer to start as a rookie auditioning for a lower team etc.

Formation laps, full race weekend, podiums, better helmet designs with sponsors, updated celebration cutscenes.

In short Codemasters - It's Time To Deliver!!

Starts - on 2014 with no assist on a wheel it is not easy to get the car off the line, loads of wheel spin. No start is the same and full revs you go nowhere. As for a formation lap that would be awesome, really gets the adrenaline going on the way to the line as well.

Engineer Content - Totally agree with you. Loads of untapped potential here. All voices, animations, menus etc need updating as well.

Reliability Issues - Would you really want a random ERS failure in the last few laps of a 100% race leaving you seconds a lap slower? A few more failures might be OK but I don't think that would be an enjoyable experience which at the end of the day is why we play the game.

Pitstops - Agree again. very boring at present.

TMDol said:
Starts - on 2014 with no assist on a wheel it is not easy to get the car off the line, loads of wheel spin. No start is the same and full revs you go nowhere. As for a formation lap that would be awesome, really gets the adrenaline going on the way to the line as well.

Engineer Content - Totally agree with you. Loads of untapped potential here. All voices, animations, menus etc need updating as well.

Reliability Issues - Would you really want a random ERS failure in the last few laps of a 100% race leaving you seconds a lap slower? A few more failures might be OK but I don't think that would be an enjoyable experience which at the end of the day is why we play the game.

Pitstops - Agree again. very boring at present.

On wheel maybe but on a pad it is a joke...everyone just goes full power o start. As for failures I'm not even talking about complete failures I mean consequences for abusing the engine, brakes etc and yes I would like to lose power at a random moment like in real life. Maybe have it as an option like in F1 CE where you could choose to have mechanical failures for career or not

TMDol said:
Reliability Issues - Would you really want a random ERS failure in the last few laps of a 100% race leaving you seconds a lap slower?
I definitely would love something like that, as long as all the reliability issues occur with a proper probability.

Stevomock said:
TMDol said:
Reliability Issues - Would you really want a random ERS failure in the last few laps of a 100% race leaving you seconds a lap slower?
I definitely would love something like that, as long as all the reliability issues occur with a proper probability.
Like is said consequences of ignoring the warnings from the engineer or HUD elements showing warnings

Wanorak said:
Stevomock said:
TMDol said:
Like is said consequences of ignoring the warnings from the engineer or HUD elements showing warnings
I am not talking about that. I am saying I would enjoy issues that were not fault of my own.

I think it appropriate to say current gen as they have been out over a year, the next consoles after ps4 and xbox1 are next gen. just a thought

Very true

Stevomock said:
Wanorak said:
Stevomock said:
TMDol said:
I am not talking about that. I am saying I would enjoy issues that were not fault of my own.
Agree maybe have an option for random failures so people can choose. I know it sounds weird but I really enjoyed it in F1 CE when the engine gave out mid race

One thing that needs more attention IMO is MULTIPLAYER.

Codies most likely won't spend their precious money on a dedicated server, but what about giving us the feature of setting up our own? Several racing games out there have a separated .exe for establishing personal dedicated servers and they are added to the room list in the lobby just like regularly created ones,

Furthermore, the host of the dedicated server could serve as racing director, being able to check everyone out in real time, applying penalties, deploying safety car etc.

Also, there should be in-game options to set up leagues, with points system and penalties that can be carried over to the following races.

You should be able to join an ongoing qualifying and still be able to qualify.

Better care to collision physics. Sometimes even slight contacts makes you spin out.

Time Trials with "equal" performance, tyre wear and fuel consumption, so we can actually practice for online races.

aktisti said:
One thing that needs more attention IMO is MULTIPLAYER.

Codies most likely won't spend their precious money on a dedicated server, but what about giving us the feature of setting up our own? Several racing games out there have a separated .exe for establishing personal dedicated servers and they are added to the room list in the lobby just like regularly created ones,

Furthermore, the host of the dedicated server could serve as racing director, being able to check everyone out in real time, applying penalties, deploying safety car etc.

Also, there should be in-game options to set up leagues, with points system and penalties that can be carried over to the following races.

You should be able to join an ongoing qualifying and still be able to qualify.

Better care to collision physics. Sometimes even slight contacts makes you spin out.

Time Trials with "equal" performance, tyre wear and fuel consumption, so we can actually practice for online races.

Like Battlefield hosted servers?