Sign in to follow this  

Branching Out - Adding Greater Depth to R&D in F1® 2018

Well being at sauber with a 2016 ferrari engine and thecteam mate bug killed it for me on top of the safety car being bugged as hel

The only bug I had was sometimes the weather and rainspray didn't show up correctly other than that 2017 worked  fine for me. I rarely ran into any bugs. But I guess I got lucky in that regard.

Well being at sauber with a 2016 ferrari engine and thecteam mate bug killed it for me on top of the safety car being bugged as hel
i never had a problem with safety car outside of online game.
the hardest bug i had was in Canada when Sergio Perez drove to the pit and was teleported to the middle of the track, he won by 45 seconds, but in the end results he was sixth.

What is the point of hiding R&D tree? There's a description for what every upgrade does so if I decide not to upgrade fuel consumption, tyre wear, DRS, etc I just won't go down that path. So really, what's the point? 

Gregmom said:
What is the point of hiding R&D tree? There's a description for what every upgrade does so if I decide not to upgrade fuel consumption, tyre wear, DRS, etc I just won't go down that path. So really, what's the point? 
Not sure really but maybe there is an in game reason for it which we'll find out later as we play it. We do know that each team has their own individual R&D tree this year but that's all. Also that the R&D system can reset due to the new rule changes that can kick in now but whether that has anything to do with it I don't know

Gregmom said:
Not sure really but maybe there is an in game reason for it which we'll find out later as we play it. We do know that each team has their own individual R&D tree this year but that's all. Also that the R&D system can reset due to the new rule changes that can kick in now but whether that has anything to do with it I don't know
I think the idea is that irl a team doesn't have foresight of what upgrades will open up what further upgrades which could benefit the car the greatest.

Say for the aero you upgrade the front wing which gives you a good increase in performance (4%) and which then makes you think that if you upgrade it again but slightly differently you'd get a slightly better overall increase in performance (7%). However, if you had upgraded the rear instead which would have initially given you an equal or slightly lesser increase as the 1st upgrade for the front (3%), the next upgrade thought of for the rear could be a redesign which actually gives you a greater overall increse than the 2 on the front (10%).

It's that not knowing what is to come and a bit of a gamble that you are upgrading the car in the most effective way for that point in the season.

martbloke said:
Gregmom said:
I think the idea is that irl a team doesn't have foresight of what upgrades will open up what further upgrades which could benefit the car the greatest.

Say for the aero you upgrade the front wing which gives you a good increase in performance (4%) and which then makes you think that if you upgrade it again but slightly differently you'd get a slightly better overall increase in performance (7%). However, if you had upgraded the rear instead which would have initially given you an equal or slightly lesser increase as the 1st upgrade for the front (3%), the next upgrade thought of for the rear could be a redesign which actually gives you a greater overall increse than the 2 on the front (10%).

It's that not knowing what is to come and a bit of a gamble that you are upgrading the car in the most effective way for that point in the season.
I thought it was for something like that but I wasn't certain.

martbloke said:
Gregmom said:

I can understand that part but still, for us who have been watching F1 for some time and know where certain cars lack the most, it still doesn't make sense. So if I know Williams lacks downforce the most, then I will go for downforce, not DRS or drag which is the same department(aero) but different category. Now if downforce won't be a bigger upgrade than drag or something else from other part of the tree in terms percentage, then it's not realistic and people won't like it.

Not only that, if you watch aarava's part 1 of the preview career mode(link bellow), go to 8:19. You'll see when he is covering over greyed out upgrades it says on the top right in which category it belongs and how much will it improve the car on the right, just like in F1 2017.

https://youtu.be/vLf4YIaynPc

In engine part of the tree you clearly see, up is engine recovery and obviously that's a lesser upgrade than engine power(to the left). So unless there are parts of engine recovery randomly put in the tree on the left or some big engine power upgrades after that revovery upgrade when going up, it doesn't make sense hiding it. And if they are put in randomly then it doesn't make any sense and it's just stupid.

The only thing I'm thinking of is shortcuts. Like if there are maybe 2-3 recovery upgrades before you connect that part of the tree with engine power and get big power upgrades after that. That's the one and only thing I can think of that hiding it is good for. Hidden shortcuts which benefit you in the long run but still.

It looks all great and that. But i am still dissapointed with the animations. They have to update that for next year because they are still the same as the previous years, it's getting boring haha. And what i said before, the official HUD en TV presentation needs to be in the game. Also in this part (like grid presentation etc) it's still the same. Not really a update from previous years. Other than that it looks like a great game!

Heinos said:
It looks all great and that. But i am still dissapointed with the animations. They have to update that for next year because they are still the same as the previous years, it's getting boring haha. And what i said before, the official HUD en TV presentation needs to be in the game. Also in this part (like grid presentation etc) it's still the same. Not really a update from previous years. Other than that it looks like a great game!
Well they have said they've updated it with more stuff but I'm thinking we've not seen any vids far enough into career to really notice.

Heinos said:
Well they have said they've updated it with more stuff but I'm thinking we've not seen any vids far enough into career to really notice.
Yes. There would be maybe some animations what we've not seen. But in the video's what i saw there are the same animations. Like the drivers in the pitbox before a sessions starts. Literally all of them were the same. Would love to see an upgrade there too! :)

Maybe they finally implemented some animations for winning the WCC/WDC and not only a boring text box: "you have won the WDC, congratulations.".

NMND said:
Maybe they finally implemented some animations for winning the WCC/WDC and not only a boring text box: "you have won the WDC, congratulations.".
Given the media interaction is back now it's certainly possible. I certainly remember Crofty acknowledging it in 2010 and 2011 after you won the championship when he interviewed you. So I'd imagine Claire will I hope do the same. I do remember she did notice something and comment on it in Aarava's vid on something Aarava did in practice or something I remember and brought it up in a vid. He hit someone I think don't remember who in the vid but someone he was battling with.  So hopefully something similar will happen there only time will tell  though. I thought that was a nice touch but only time will tell how far that goes. How far they go we'll have to wait and see but I hope they give more acknowledgement than jus ta text box saying congrats on winning the championship now go do it again. :p

NMND said:
Given the media interaction is back now it's certainly possible. I certainly remember Crofty acknowledging it in 2010 and 2011 after you won the championship when he interviewed you. So I'd imagine Claire will I hope do the same. I do remember she did notice something and comment on it in Aarava's vid on something Aarava did in practice or something I remember and brought it up in a vid. He hit someone I think don't remember who in the vid but someone he was battling with.  So hopefully something similar will happen there only time will tell  though. I thought that was a nice touch but only time will tell how far that goes. How far they go we'll have to wait and see but I hope they give more acknowledgement than jus ta text box saying congrats on winning the championship now go do it again. :p
Yes indeed. Maybe with all the interviews included it get a different touch! Let's find out!