Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2018 career practice session resource points grind

I'm sick of practice sessions in career mode just to gain resource points. Can we have a option within the start of the career mode to have no practice session? I know in 2017 we can skip to Quali but your are at disadvantage you gain twice as much only with the practice session vs only quali + race. If we can disable practice session within a option you will stay equal to others team and maybe add a bonus in resource points after quali and race.

Im fine if we can skip practice session and others team doesnt progress faster them me because I didint complete the practice challenge.

I havent played career yet as i play championship mode but the same with championship mode u will surely need to get the right setup but also need to be careful that u dont use too much wear on the components. I will be testing career mode on the 17 game a bit to see if its worth doing tho.

I never found quali or race ever gave much at all. I had to qualify as low as I could without angering the team or quali on pole but use brand new parts even if I didn't need them to get a penalty so I get extra points for the race, getting pole and the win will net you next to nothing. Fighting up the grid will get you better points. But its not ideal if you run a very close difficulty to your abilities.

The practice programs were designed to give the player a reason to do the practice sessions Otherwise they may as well go back to the same boring way it was done in 2012 through 2014 where you only get an upgrade every few races and one test in practice every now and then to earn them. Personally I prefer the way it's done now because I find the programs fun to do and in some cases as much fun as the races themselves.

I must admit though having an extra program added thanks to ERS it's going to make it tight trying to fit doing all the programs in . Especially if you end up failing one or get hit by bad weather but then that might depend on how long you set your practice sessions to but on the 30 minute setting it is going to be a bit tight. Bu t then that's part and parce lof h efun I guess.

From the Autosport preview:

''Finally, there's the option to skip practice sessions without losing out on the development tree, a much-needed boost to those without the time required to spend every minute refining the car. 

Thanks to a more generous return of R&D development tokens, those who do simulate sessions will not miss out on the game's new development war through a season and later into your career.''

Kind of wonder how this really works though, surely there still got to be a lot of extra points you can earn by actually doing the programs?

''Finally, there's the option to skip practice sessions without losing out on the development tree, a much-needed boost to those without the time required to spend every minute refining the car. 

Thanks to a more generous return of R&D development tokens, those who do simulate sessions will not miss out on the game's new development war through a season and later into your career.''

Kind of wonder how this really works though, surely there still got to be a lot of extra points you can earn by actually doing the programs?

Yeah I don' t see myself skipping them as I find them quite fun I do sometimes skip having a second go at track acclimatisation as that one can be a bit annoying if you fail it. I tend to have my own line through corners that work for me and the gates aren't always on that line and I find I have to adjust my line accordingly which I don' t always find easy to do partly I suspect because I play on keyboard. But I find it the easiest way for me to play racing games with my disability. Which is why generally I do sometimes fail it. I still find it an interesting challenge though. I definitely enjoy the qualifying and race pace ones most I think though and I have to admit the tyre wear one's quite an interesting challenge as well.

It seems interesting but yes it would be nice, I have no issue doing practice sessions but there isn't always the time, so to be able to do career without having to replay R&D events every weekend without penalty is nice to hear.

It seems interesting but yes it would be nice, I have no issue doing practice sessions but there isn't always the time, so to be able to do career without having to replay R&D events every weekend without penalty is nice to hear.
Is it actually without penalty though? I mean is it full R&D points as if you purpled all scenarios? I thought there was a still a small penalty but bumped up from last year; say you get 90% of the points if skipped. Would be nice to be confirmed either way if you know the answer ??

Yeah I don' t see myself skipping them as I find them quite fun I do sometimes skip having a second go at track acclimatisation as that one can be a bit annoying if you fail it. I tend to have my own line through corners that work for me and the gates aren't always on that line and I find I have to adjust my line accordingly which I don' t always find easy to do partly I suspect because I play on keyboard. But I find it the easiest way for me to play racing games with my disability. Which is why generally I do sometimes fail it. I still find it an interesting challenge though. I definitely enjoy the qualifying and race pace ones most I think though and I have to admit the tyre wear one's quite an interesting challenge as well.

On my 4th season in career and I have most of my lines down by now. Yes they sometimes differ from what the game wants you to do.
Particularly if you run high down force and hug the apex round long fast corners. Sochi and Shanghai are such examples. I used a YouTube Vettel lap of China to learn the first corner. Saved me seconds of my lap time but completely different from the games line. I find I have to run with the ultra softs for this practice so I can dart around and catch the boxes! Makes it worse they are hard to see too in bad weather or night time for my aging eyes..

I’ve signed up here just to say that I’ve skipped straight to the qualy session to see what happens, instead of my usual haul of research points totalling around 600 (6 purple tests plus complete all three sessions plus bonus for laps, first driver etc.) I was given just 100 points

and got a message off Carl to say I missed out on points for skipping the sessions 

so to clarify, yes you still R&D points for skipping practice but wayyyy less than if you do all the practice sessions