Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 joystick domination

Gav25182 said:
softy94 said:
The controller isn't as 'dominant' as many believe e.g Germany wheel users can do 1:13s where as controller users can only get mid to high 14s some tracks such as silverstone the wheel is faster but other tracks pad is faster

This.

Funny how the wheel users weren't moaning when they were smashing the pad users by several seconds a lap.

I myself am a pad user, they need to tweak it so it's a big more fair for both camps 

SUPERMIGHTYZ Member  New Car Smell
BobbyDeacs said:
League practise, No Assists Singapore. Full wet quali, dry race. These conditions (having dry setup on wet track) emphasise the difference between pad and wheel more than any other:-
3 pad users qualied 2:00.1 to 2:00.9
6 wheel users qualied 2:04.7 to 2:09.

We want our league back please Codemasters!

Use the TC with wheel and relax. 

why must we use the TCS !!!!! we want a realistic game  without tcs !!! 

Gav25182 said:
softy94 said:
The controller isn't as 'dominant' as many believe e.g Germany wheel users can do 1:13s where as controller users can only get mid to high 14s some tracks such as silverstone the wheel is faster but other tracks pad is faster

This.

Funny how the wheel users weren't moaning when they were smashing the pad users by several seconds a lap.

100% Agree not all of us can have a wheel. Even if we can afford it there's always the question of space

Imo it should be equal for both pad and wheel users as right now even on a wheel having assists on its like playing 2 different games. I think assists should be just that and no more! It shouldnt give the player the right to brake 100% and turn at the same time and should not give amazing drive if you go 100% throttle before the car is straight. If a player has the skill to  drive with no assists (pad or wheel) then they should be rewarded with better drive out of corners and better braking in to corners providing he/she has nailed there braking, turn in and throttle. If the pad always has assists then anyone can pick up the game and with no skill can easily match or beat your average no assists wheel user if it a wet race or if rear grip comes into play. I think the assists being so strong is what is causing the biggest problem with the pad and wheels if running a no assists lobby. Irl even the best abs and tc wouldnt let ppl drive like they do on the F1 games so why should a game really need to be that easy? Where not playing nfs where I expect my little fiat to corner at 200 mph. Why have the steering assist also? the moto gp games require you to balance the bike through a corner with the thumb stick and its not to hard so why have it that you turn full lock and its the right amount of steering lock? Make things more equal codies and we will have the best F1 game yet :)

Try overriding pad with steering wheel in options then in advanced settings put all wheel options as far right as you can. Takes bit of getting used to but I am really enjoying it. Gives the car that twitchy feeling that people using a wheel are talking about. Until I did this I was finding the handling very boring with a pad. 

Well,i play on pad and with all assists off(only racing line on) and my pace is equal or slower than wheel players. I think that steering assist is the problem,when it's activated you're much faster..But if you turn it off and play with TC and ABS on,you're slower than with TC and ABS off. So the problem is steering assist.

This Pad vs. Wheel - it's not about who's better than who and all that rubbish, it's about making it fair:-

F1 2010 - can't comment, didn't have game then, but from the brilliant ARL videos posted by Simpson/Woody there was a good mix of both at the top. These videos got me into the game.

F1 2011 - Our top driver (no assists) was using pad. Pad was (and still is) more difficult than wheel (of course it is), but in the right hands it was just as quick.

F1 2012 - Pad slip angle steering assist was introduced and the top pad drivers were now quicker than the top wheel drivers - fact not bitterness. We now had several drivers who used pad for F1 and wheel for Gran Turismo and that says it all. This one change meant that our leagues became slightly top heavy with pad users and bottom heavy with wheel. However, it was still a close thing and the top wheel guys could give the top pad guys a run for their money. It basically still felt like we were in the same cars with the same physics, just that pad users were especially brilliant going around hairpins.

F1 2013 - No change, just less traction for both. Maybe this evened it out a tiny bit, but league tables were still slightly dominated by pad and the pad for F1/ wheel for GT brigade stayed put.

F1 2014 - With assists off, it's like two separate car classes now. Wheel has advantage on corner entry, pad on corner exit. As traction is the big thing now, you gain a bit going in then get left for dust.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Luke got the message and passed it on. In fact, I think it was the first thing he passed onto the Development team. I just pray that they do't get defensive and want to justify all the effort they put into this new "enhanced pad coding" and want to retain at least some of it. We want all of it CHUCKED IN THE BIN please. Don't dumb it down and hope we don't notice, get rid - we will know if it's still there even a tiny bit and our lap times won't lie.

Hatta said:
Thanks again for this feedback guys. We're looking into it.
Glad to hear it, but please whatever you do, don't try to equalise things by dumbing down the steering wheel handling to make it like the pad. Just make it so traction control on pad is actually off when set to off.

have any of you checked the database to see if what you're saying is true?

The thread alone is weird as I get a much better time with the wheel over the gamepad with the car default setup.

The lengths we have to go to to create a level playing field, because Codemasters won't give us one, are crazy!  In our highest division, one of our drivers developed an application which all drivers have to run during races, and it detects when they're using the hidden steering assist by running their gamepad as a gamepad or their wheel as a gamepad.  Now, we not only have to run it for that reason, but also to make sure no one is running the hidden traction control which the gamepad also gives you!  It sounds even more crazy when I have to type it!

whats this application called?

"PRL eStewards App"... for PRL drivers only.  Also detects cheats to ensure we have the only truly level playing field there is! :)