Jump to content Jump to content

Chat option in GRID Autosport!!

Strange really......PC has been banded as the 'lead platform' this time, and text chat is probably one of the most requested features by the PC section.  Yet if it isn't included, the reasoning would be......because its surplus to requirements on the consoles.
i dont think youd want to imagine that lol!

but no, we didnt have ever more than 3 ppl in one server in g1 as i recall spamming chat with constant messages.
prolly a similar number of voice spammers on g2...but like i said earlier, its way more intrusive.
Strange really......PC has been banded as the 'lead platform' this time, and text chat is probably one of the most requested features by the PC section.  Yet if it isn't included, the reasoning would be......because its surplus to requirements on the consoles.
It's really really hard to imagine there's no "room" for a text chat.
Txt doesn't demand much hardware, ram etc etc.

I can't imagine CM can't code that easily if it's not "ready-to-copy" from another program.

Left are very little reasons not to include it - unless someone wants to play Daddy ("no, because I say so")
I hope the teams of programmers, directors, managers etc dare to put it on anyway.
P308R said:
I don't mine if they put it in or leave it out. I play seldom online and if i want to apologize , i send a message over psn
ditto for me really I don't play online I only use Steam and that to activate my games not play online with them so don't use chat functions
Loore said:
All,

We very much know how important text chat is to you, it remains something we're still talking about so by all means it isn't a 100% a no. Discussions are still taking place and as always, I'll be sure to fire this thread over to the team to further illustrate the desire to have the feature in the game.

Voting in this thread says enough, what do team say about it @Loore ??
mcnab said:
Yeah i know im crazy but if codies dont implement txt chat into the game i would glady pay for it later as a dlc if thats possible instead of cars and tracks that i dont want or need
DLC is sh**. Ppl need full, ready to use game. Succes of DLC can be only if company support their games for years, so ppl know they give money for a long time. But its not about Codies, so much games have closed/unpluged cable. Yeah, games is cool but they leave it or even kill it (
laz1973 said:
Don't really see the point in it. If your playing online surely you should have a headset after all they dont cost much for a cheap set and when you have 8 people texting away convo's become a mess imho. What I want to see is voice chat even when the next race is loading. Kinda get pissed off getting cut off in the middle of a sentence when the loading screen comes up.

PC text chat does not do this to your ears!!
NFS: The Run need a mic mute for online racing!!

I do use a headset and mic, but I use it through my second computer and Teamspeak. I just hear the voices of the guys in my headset and I can still hear the sound of racing game through my 5:1 surrond sound speaker system. :)

Text chat can't be that hard to do. Bugbear done it for Next Car Game, Refract for Distance ( only about 5 Devs ), Gamepires has done it for Gas Guzzlers Extreme ( in lobby and while doing deathmatches\races ), also has VOIP, but not many use it:

Its better than a no i guess.
But time is running oh so short for you guys no?

Loore, can you tell us if theres a [semi]working alpha/beta version with chat running, going on at your studios yet?..or is it really just on the drawing board still?

Thx

It's a shame Satine closed LaPremier's thread because he described the typical issues online players have to deal with, in Codies games.

And in OP he quoted a steam G2 discussion where Loore admits:
Text chat came very close to being included in the Community patch but unfortunately it just didn't work out. We'll keep investigating and seeing what we can do regarding that.

I think i remember him saying that here on previous forums too.

Seems like the new game was a perfect opportunity for carrying out the promise.

But still no news about text chat. 

Text chat. Because half the fun is not just the race. It's about talking about the race. And the more possibilities to talk the better.

Also it is just a great way to de stress the players. If you smash someone up. Most of the time if you hit someone eveyone knows whose fault it is. But if you can say sorry everyone can move on from that and it keeps everyone happier.

Whereas if you can't, the person who feels wronged just feels angry and may go on their own ramming mission, which just increases the problem and turns the game into a ram fest. More methods of communication=less chance of this happening=better experience for everyone.
Loore said:
No update as of yet, it's still being discussed and any possibilities worked out. 

Regarding selling it as DLC, I wouldn't like us to go down that route (and I don't think we would).
I read this as it is a question of "politics" only and not at all if it is possible or not because of hardware, coding etc.
Okay, so who is Mr. Bad Guy keeping it away from the game(s) ?

I guess noone expect a "first time chat" to be with votes of kicking or restarts, colors etc etc.
Just a simple chat really, maybe showing at high top of the screen for 4-5 sec.
Make a keyboard shortcut (like "C" in Race 07)  and press Enter to get it on the screen + ability to turn it off somewhere in options.
Done - ( and you can always update it if you get bored later on :O) )

But - why isn't this easy for you guys (Codemasters) to decide really?
dirt3joe said:
Text chat. Because half the fun is not just the race. It's about talking about the race. And the more possibilities to talk the better.

Also it is just a great way to de stress the players. If you smash someone up. Most of the time if you hit someone eveyone knows whose fault it is. But if you can say sorry everyone can move on from that and it keeps everyone happier.

Whereas if you can't, the person who feels wronged just feels angry and may go on their own ramming mission, which just increases the problem and turns the game into a ram fest. More methods of communication=less chance of this happening=better experience for everyone.
Totally agree about the defusing of a situation. Had that experience many times when I used to game on a PC with older CM game. Now that I'm gaming on a last gen console we have zero possibility of text chat. Even a few select phrases we could choose from would be better than nothing (like BF4's commo rose) seem to remember something like that in an older CM game. I'm one of the majority who rarely / never use voice chat online for all the reasons stated in this thread.

ChokDK said:

I guess noone expect a "first time chat" to be with votes of kicking or restarts, colors etc etc.
Make a keyboard shortcut (like "C" in Race 07)  and press Enter to get it on the screen + ability to turn it off somewhere in options.

I've been wondering about this myself.  Do Codemasters think we want something super flash with multi possibilities.....no idea, but I think when 'we' think of chat, all we want is something 'simple', to work exactly as you describe.  The closest we've had to an explanation (from Loore) is that console owners don't use keyboards.  We don't need to go into all that again, but hopefully CM will understand all we're asking for is this 'simple' chat option.  I think there's always a danger of over thinking/designing something.
dirt3joe said:

+1, good post.

Saying sry online goes a long way to keeping tempers clam down. Just make sure you are not saying sry in the chat window after every race!!!!

I have seen players in GRID 1 get piss-off at someone and drive backwards on the track to hunt player down, if there no collision forward option enabled, causing chaos on the track for the other players trying to race.

I try and keep my cool when racing online, I do not want to be the one to ruin someone else race trying to pay back a guy that knock me off the track. And it may been a "s-it happens" moment, that racing.

ChokDK said:

I guess noone expect a "first time chat" to be with votes of kicking or restarts.... (Cut)
I've been wondering about this myself.  Do Codemasters think we want something super flash with multi possibilities.....no idea, but I think when 'we' think of chat, all we want is something 'simple', to work exactly as you describe.  The closest we've had to an explanation (from Loore) is that console owners don't use keyboards.  We don't need to go into all that again, but hopefully CM will understand all we're asking for is this 'simple' chat option.  I think there's always a danger of over thinking/designing something.
Well, many people actually don't have/use headset either, even it's already in the games (audio chat).
At start, I thought it was a great idea when it came out in F1 2012, but I quickly turned it off (as soon as they "invented an option for that which took some time lol)

Some maybe didn't know you could hear everything from the radio to talking with girlfriend, yelling at the dog etc, but many people used it just to annoy  - in best case "to entertain others" with boom bass audio tracks etc.

I see the opportunities in a voice chat, but tbh - in a lobby/race where you might not know people, a text chat is still much to prefer.
TEXT CHAT MIGHT BE OLD FASHIONED COMPARED TO VOICE CHAT BUT IT WORKS! :)
As a clever user in here suggested, it would be even fine with a few shortcuts as "Sorry", "Yes", "No", "&%%?"&¤#&" etc :D

ChokDK said:

We get that and that's the sort of thing we're looking at. I don't have any update right now but as I said previously, it's something that's being talked about, and in a way that's "we want to do this" type way.

Right now we're focusing all our effort into getting the game finished (we go Gold in about a month!). There's obviously the possibility of patching it in after launch which could well be a route we go down, but again, no guarantees just yet.
Loore said:
We get that and that's the sort of thing we're looking at. I don't have any update right now but as I said previously, it's something that's being talked about, and in a way that's "we want to do this" type way.

Right now we're focusing all our effort into getting the game finished (we go Gold in about a month!). There's obviously the possibility of patching it in after launch which could well be a route we go down, but again, no guarantees just yet.
Fair enough.

Also (and off topic) good to see my question about lap countdown in the lobby ('waiting room') making it into the Q&A.  So hopefully that is being given serious discussion now or later, for the common sense idea it obviously once was and still is..

gor said:

any news?)

82% still waiting :-w 

naah, no news. I can't understand why is so difficult to add chat option into game. What's so funny, Rust game, even its 500mb game to download (1 gig when its installed) , have so simple chat but so great to use it. I meet so many players there, using chat we became steam friends, we invite each other every day an sometimes we just talk in game.Good thing is that u can actually talk with unknown people and say what u think, u can say u are sorry , u can warn them , u talk about game....With steam chat u can only do this with your friends.Game have voice chat also we use it sometimes when things go really fast and dangerous. So, chat is so good and needed option in any game, I have only one conclusion, cm guys probably don't know how to make it.There is no other explanation...