Why pre-order?

Genuine question. What's the point in pre-ordering? You don't get access to the game early so have to wait until full release anyway. Plus you're paying the most amount of money for a product that you don't even know works correctly. At least if you give ita few days you can see whether the game works properly and make a more informed decision. As I said, this is a genuine question.
  • Agree 4

People who pre-order are usually the ones who already decided they'll purchase the game because they like what they've seen in trailers, gameplay videos etc. Price for pre-ordering is exactly the same as on release and it's gonna stay the same long after, unless it's on sale. So for those, I see no reason why NOT to pre-order because not only they can play at 00:00 on 24th(digital) but they also get free pre-order bonuses which everyone will have to pay for if they want them later.

You can download the game before the release (pretty useful for bad connexion users) and you will get 2 classic cars : Brawn BGP-001  and Williams FW25. And if you want to test the game, there is a demo.

MattkD37 said:
Genuine question. What's the point in pre-ordering? You don't get access to the game early so have to wait until full release anyway. Plus you're paying the most amount of money for a product that you don't even know works correctly. At least if you give ita few days you can see whether the game works properly and make a more informed decision. As I said, this is a genuine question.

Well sometimes some preorders do offer bonuses like for example when I preordered MEA for example I got an extra outfit to use on my characters and I think you can get things like extra weapons to use  Things you can use on your character when you create them and play but that's another game but the same sort of thing applies here too. Little things like that because I chose to preorder. It just depends on whether you like what the preorder bonuses are offering if you don't like them there's no need to bother 

BULLDOZOR said:
You can download the game before the release (pretty useful for bad connexion users) and you will get 2 classic cars : Brawn BGP-001  and Williams FW25. And if you want to test the game, there is a demo.
For F1 the last demo was with F1 2012 xD

MattkD37 said:

Well sometimes some preorders do offer bonuses like for example when I preordered MEA for example I got an extra outfit to use on my characters and I think you can get things like extra weapons to use  Things you can use on your character when you create them and play but that's another game but the same sort of thing applies here too. Little things like that because I chose to preorder. It just depends on whether you like what the preorder bonuses are offering if you don't like them there's no need to bother 
And for example, people, who pre-ordered Metro Last Light got Ranger Mode (which was practically the Hard Mode) and few extra stuff, and people, who bought it after release had to buy the stuff as a DLC.
Though, for some reason, when I bought the Xbox 360 edition about 1 year after the game was released, I managed to get the Limited Edition (Note, this was completely new unopened copy of the game!) from the place I bought it.

What comes to F1 game pre-orders, at least I got the game (physical PS4 version, I am one of the people, who prefers the physical releases, for some reason) few days earlier last year, after I pre-ordered it.
However, I started to play it on release day, because I had other games to finish first. And since I pre-ordered the game from same place this year, I expect it to come few days early this year as well.
Though, this year I have about 1 month to play it daily, as next month I will be receiving the Shadow of The Tomb Raider, which I pre-ordered at the same time, as F1 2018.

Tunari89 said:
MattkD37 said:

And for example, people, who pre-ordered Metro Last Light got Ranger Mode (which was practically the Hard Mode) and few extra stuff, and people, who bought it after release had to buy the stuff as a DLC.
Though, for some reason, when I bought the Xbox 360 edition about 1 year after the game was released, I managed to get the Limited Edition (Note, this was completely new unopened copy of the game!) from the place I bought it.

What comes to F1 game pre-orders, at least I got the game (physical PS4 version, I am one of the people, who prefers the physical releases, for some reason) few days earlier last year, after I pre-ordered it.
However, I started to play it on release day, because I had other games to finish first. And since I pre-ordered the game from same place this year, I expect it to come few days early this year as well.
Though, this year I have about 1 month to play it daily, as next month I will be receiving the Shadow of The Tomb Raider, which I pre-ordered at the same time, as F1 2018.

Yeah I've per ordered Shadow as well as I've ordered the Croft Editoin with all the bells and whistles so I'm looking forward to that as the game is looking really good. Loved what they did with 2013 and Rise so it kind of felt like a no brainer really. I prefer physical copies to obut I have been easing over to mostly digital  copies the past few years mostly because I don' t have the space for more discs and don' t really have the heart  to throw out some of my old games in case I still want to play them. But I still want the option of playing the latest games too. I've mostly been getting the yearly games F1 and Fifa  games like that on download though and getting the big games I like like the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games on disc. As I've said I have preordered Shadow and Fifa 19 which come out next month. I'm also interested in AC Odyssey which comes out in October I believe as that looks interesting with it's RPG elements. 

I do intend to get 2018 but this year it'll likely be on download rather than disc whereas 2016 and 2017 I got both on disc. Mostly because there isn't that big of a jump from 2017 really and I'm going to get it later this time because I don't want my save files getting screwed when I'm halfway through my 3rd/4th season as that's what happened  to me on 2017 due to CM's patching process. I do like the idea of racing the Brawn and Williams but I'm happy to wait and paying a little extra for them as DLC so long as I don't end up having to be forcibly restarting my career again. Plus by waiting it'll give me time to finish the 2016 and 2017 careers I have on the go now as well. Especially as I'm still pretty early in those careers atm as I'm in Season 2 on 2016 and halfway through Season 1 on 2017.

I understand with most games you get DLC (which some people may argue should have come with the full game anyway, depending on how big the original game is and how big the DLC is, but that's another issue) but isn't it concerning that you've paid for something without the chance to see if it actually works properly? I love F1 and have bought all the games from 2011 (apart from 2015) and I must admit there are a lot of issues with bugs. With 2017, I got the game on the day it came out, so had the DLC that came with it but with the teammate bug and others, this year I'm leaving it a few weeks to see if any major problems arise and if not, I'll buy it.

MattkD37 said:
I understand with most games you get DLC (which some people may argue should have come with the full game anyway, depending on how big the original game is and how big the DLC is, but that's another issue) but isn't it concerning that you've paid for something without the chance to see if it actually works properly? I love F1 and have bought all the games from 2011 (apart from 2015) and I must admit there are a lot of issues with bugs. With 2017, I got the game on the day it came out, so had the DLC that came with it but with the teammate bug and others, this year I'm leaving it a few weeks to see if any major problems arise and if not, I'll buy it.

Perhaps it can be risky but it's up to the individual to decide whether to take that risk or not. Going back to what I was talking about earlier in MEA when it came out there was a lot of bugs and I mean a LOT so many in fact that the game was barely holding together in fact the game crashed quite frequently on me (in it's launch state) but I could see through the bugs what looked like a very good game with an excellent story at least to me (some may disagree as it was a rather controversial game in terms of story and characters)and I knew that given enough time Bioware would fix them or at least the biggest offending ones which they did so I was pretty confident that at the end of the day my money wouldn't be wasted. Admittedly the game still has issues but it's a lot more stable now that it's been patched than when it launched it still crashes occasionally but no more than any of my other games. Admittedly I had faith in them mainly because I like the kind of games that they do so trusted them to deliver a product I'll enjoy using but different companies behave in different ways. But like I said it's up to the individual to decide whether to take the risk or not.

MattkD37 said:
Understand that for many people, but the fact for some is that they love racing games, as for me that’s pretty much all I do, so it’s not about one title vs another, I just buy them some on release others on sale, as for f1, I love the sport and I own all of CM’s f1 games, they have had hiccups, but for the most part produce a quality product that improves physics graphics and a career mode “that is by far the best of any racing title” every year. So for me why not preorder.

MattkD37 said:
I can only speak for myself but the reason I have pre ordered F1 2017 and F1 2018 is because I'm a league racer. From the start of the game to the end, I am continuously trying to improve to maintain my competitivity levels. Which means I "need" to play on day 1 to make sure I don't fall behind everyone else. Obviously, I wouldn't do any of this if I didn't have fun and I do. Even with the multiplayer bugs present in F1 2017.

I have found with games in recent years the pre order price is cheaper than after release. So for this reason I often preorder games I am sure I will want to buy at some point. Eg 2 point hospital

Tunari89 said:
MattkD37 said:

Yeah I've per ordered Shadow as well as I've ordered the Croft Editoin with all the bells and whistles so I'm looking forward to that as the game is looking really good. Loved what they did with 2013 and Rise so it kind of felt like a no brainer really. I prefer physical copies to obut I have been easing over to mostly digital  copies the past few years mostly because I don' t have the space for more discs and don' t really have the heart  to throw out some of my old games in case I still want to play them. But I still want the option of playing the latest games too. I've mostly been getting the yearly games F1 and Fifa  games like that on download though and getting the big games I like like the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games on disc. As I've said I have preordered Shadow and Fifa 19 which come out next month. I'm also interested in AC Odyssey which comes out in October I believe as that looks interesting with it's RPG elements. 

I do intend to get 2018 but this year it'll likely be on download rather than disc whereas 2016 and 2017 I got both on disc. Mostly because there isn't that big of a jump from 2017 really and I'm going to get it later this time because I don't want my save files getting screwed when I'm halfway through my 3rd/4th season as that's what happened  to me on 2017 due to CM's patching process. I do like the idea of racing the Brawn and Williams but I'm happy to wait and paying a little extra for them as DLC so long as I don't end up having to be forcibly restarting my career again. Plus by waiting it'll give me time to finish the 2016 and 2017 careers I have on the go now as well. Especially as I'm still pretty early in those careers atm as I'm in Season 2 on 2016 and halfway through Season 1 on 2017.

Funny thing. I got the Croft Edition too, as it was just about 15€ more, when compared with normal version. I'm still debating on upgrading my 2013 Tomb Raider into Definite Edition (PS4 version), as I have the PS4 version of Rise of The Tomb Raider... Not sure yet about that though.

Later in the year I might also get the Just Cause 4, just cause. Pun totally intended. I have lack of space too, but I'm going to get new shelving where I can put my games to, not sure when that will be though... Main reason, though for why I tend to get the physical editions is pretty simple, actually: My internet connection speed isn't that high, so it would take over a day to download any game what-so-ever. And I don't want to wait that long to play my games. I'm not THAT patient.

I normally find the whole "value" question better for not pre-ordering a digital product, and especially not on this product as your trade in option has gone too. I never keep an annually released games beyond 10 months to minimise spend  (trade in) and the game is always redundant to me when the new one is released.

I now generally wait a few weeks to see what bugs there is and the market reaction.

However, after being burned by this product before, I will do as above but then wait for the second or third main update. Which last years release made it worse and/or gave us a good indication on what would not be fixed.

I am of an age now though where other things are more important than rushing to the shop on release day or playing at midnight from download (not that I have ever done that).  Paying more for a download where there is no additional cost of production/packaging, a high street store rent/staff wages etc is just wrong imo. I wont have a choice down the line, if I am still playing, but for now I boycott that unless its on discount which means its normally old.

I do get why you would pre-order though, but I would only pre-order off the net. They normally arrive on the day of release anyway.

wait til someone trades it in... then buy it 2nd hand. all the money for that copy sold goes to the seller..and not codies.
thats if the game is any good.
if it turns out to be bug infested pile of steamy poop... you saved money, if not, you saved money.

• Thanks 1

because we can. I haven't 
..................................................................................................................................

MattkD37 said:
The same reason you'd buy a season ticket for your favourite football team, when you know they might end up losing every other week and getting relegated. (Well, mine might, anyway). It's a way of showing support for a developer you like. It guarantees them money in the bank, whether the game subsequently flops or not.

True, a season ticket also saves you money if you plan to attend every week anyway, while with F1 you don't get much of a pre-order bonus... but it's better than nothing.

Tunari89 said:
Tunari89 said:
MattkD37 said:

Funny thing. I got the Croft Edition too, as it was just about 15€ more, when compared with normal version. I'm still debating on upgrading my 2013 Tomb Raider into Definite Edition (PS4 version), as I have the PS4 version of Rise of The Tomb Raider... Not sure yet about that though.

Later in the year I might also get the Just Cause 4, just cause. Pun totally intended. I have lack of space too, but I'm going to get new shelving where I can put my games to, not sure when that will be though... Main reason, though for why I tend to get the physical editions is pretty simple, actually: My internet connection speed isn't that high, so it would take over a day to download any game what-so-ever. And I don't want to wait that long to play my games. I'm not THAT patient.
Well thankfully in my case I got the PC versions so don't need to upgrade them. My internet isn't the quickest either but generally in my case while it downloads I play something else while I wait. It certainly helps speed things up anyhow. It depends on the game but yeah I've had games take a whole day to download as well. Generally games like Fifa though are done within 2/3 hours. So not too long but I think they were made to be easy to install and play for the most part. But games like Mass Effect for example can take the better part of a day to reinstall especially with all the DLC's and everything. It's worth it though as it is one of my favourite game series to  play

gabsn123 said:
is it better to preorder the game from amazon or playstation store?

I would say PS store as you'd be guaranteed to play it when it unlocks with Amazon you have to wait for them to send a code or the disc. Which means you'll be relying on Mr Postie to bring it on time.

You preorder games to download them before release or to get them for the release through the mail. At least Steam also supports refunds if you didn't like the game, so it's not like you're losing something.

gabsn123 said:

I would say PS store as you'd be guaranteed to play it when it unlocks with Amazon you have to wait for them to send a code or the disc. Which means you'll be relying on Mr Postie to bring it on time.
I`d say off the net (wherever is cheapest) and let the postie bring it. I`ve never had a game come more than the day after release. For the sake of saving probably at least a fiver I`m not in that much of a rush. plus it will be worth a tenner when you trade in 9 months on.

So that game would cost me £15 less (at least) than buying from ps store. Also doesn't eat up my hard drive space.

So there is both sides of the discussion.  Cost vs Patience/desire to start playing immediately.

I go for cost.

KevRusski said:
gabsn123 said:

I`d say off the net (wherever is cheapest) and let the postie bring it. I`ve never had a game come more than the day after release. For the sake of saving probably at least a fiver I`m not in that much of a rush. plus it will be worth a tenner when you trade in 9 months on.

So that game would cost me £15 less (at least) than buying from ps store. Also doesn't eat up my hard drive space.

So there is both sides of the discussion.  Cost vs Patience/desire to start playing immediately.

I go for cost.
It depends though an d whether you want to play it on release and whether you have organized to take a day off work or something so you can play. For example if you took a day off work to play a game that should be arriving and it never showed up. I would call that pretty damn annoying. Plus I have had games come 2 or even 3 days late on one or 2 occasions .Because I remember that happening with F1 2011 back when I preordered that. I never got to play that on release day as it never arrived till 2 or 3 days later and I think that was an Amazon order. Don't remember 100% though but I do remember it being late. Plus I don't tend to trade games in anyway.

KevRusski said:
gabsn123 said:

I go for cost.
It depends though an d whether you want to play it on release and whether you have organized to take a day off work or something so you can play. For example if you took a day off work to play a game that should be arriving and it never showed up. I would call that pretty damn annoying. Plus I have had games come 2 or even 3 days late on one or 2 occasions .Because I remember that happening with F1 2011 back when I preordered that. I never got to play that on release day as it never arrived till 2 or 3 days later and I think that was an Amazon order. Don't remember 100% though but I do remember it being late. Plus I don't tend to trade games in anyway.
Of course, I totally agree, which was why I said "I" dont mind it turning up a day late, I`d rather it didn't of course.
Ive taken a day off before (about 8 years ago for a PES game). But in that case all I did was bob down to the shop and pick up my pre-order, I find PS store expensive but matched by the likes of game so no difference in that respect. But then I can trade still.

Nothing wrong with your viewpoint, entirely valid. As you say, you dont want to trade, however, I`d prefer to be given £10 back for something thats never going to come out of its box again. That`s a no brainer for me, especially when it was also at least a fiver cheaper in the first place.

If you want it "now" without any hassle whatsoever then you have to pay for the privilege. I certainly don`t discredit those who do that. Its good for them.
I`d just like to see that choice continue.

UP100 said:
You preorder games to download them before release or to get them for the release through the mail. At least Steam also supports refunds if you didn't like the game, so it's not like you're losing something.
Well... Steam "only" allows you to refund under two conditions:

1. You havn't bought the game longer than two weeks ago
  2. You havn't played the game longer than two hours
Not meeting one of those conditions can make a refund request be rejected.
It does not mean that the request will be rejected 100% for sure, but the chance is still very high.

Two hours are IMO not enough time to thoroughly test a game but we should be thankful that the option of refund even exists.

If you feel like you really have to pre-order a game, make sure you do it within two weeks before the release date and play no more than two hours before deciding that it really isn't what you expected.