Why pre-order?

If you feel like you really have to pre-order a game, make sure you do it within two weeks before the release date
"When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date."

UP100 said:
You preorder games to download them before release or to get them for the release through the mail. At least Steam also supports refunds if you didn't like the game, so it's not like you're losing something.
Well... Steam "only" allows you to refund under two conditions:

1. You havn't bought the game longer than two weeks ago
  2. You havn't played the game longer than two hours
Not meeting one of those conditions can make a refund request be rejected.
It does not mean that the request will be rejected 100% for sure, but the chance is still very high.

Two hours are IMO not enough time to thoroughly test a game but we should be thankful that the option of refund even exists.

If you feel like you really have to pre-order a game, make sure you do it within two weeks before the release date and play no more than two hours before deciding that it really isn't what you expected.
As an addendum to the above for any Australian readers, Valve now comply with Australian consumer laws which allows a refund under much more generous terms. I believe in this case that the 30 day 'I don't like it anymore etc' now applies, although I doubt that would hold water if a player had a 1000 hours on said game. However I have successfully refunded games I got bored with after 10-20 hours of play under this law. Under the scope of this, I have pre-ordered 2018 and reserve the right to return after a few weeks of trying it out. :)

Gregmom said:
People who pre-order are usually the ones who already decided they'll purchase the game because they like what they've seen in trailers, gameplay videos etc. Price for pre-ordering is exactly the same as on release and it's gonna stay the same long after, unless it's on sale. So for those, I see no reason why NOT to pre-order because not only they can play at 00:00 on 24th(digital) but they also get free pre-order bonuses which everyone will have to pay for if they want them later.
Which pre-order bonuses? The"headline edition" bonuses are included in the retail version as well. And the retail version can be played a few days before the 24th, if you find a retailer who isn't so exact with the release date.

CmdrCody said:
Gregmom said:
People who pre-order are usually the ones who already decided they'll purchase the game because they like what they've seen in trailers, gameplay videos etc. Price for pre-ordering is exactly the same as on release and it's gonna stay the same long after, unless it's on sale. So for those, I see no reason why NOT to pre-order because not only they can play at 00:00 on 24th(digital) but they also get free pre-order bonuses which everyone will have to pay for if they want them later.
Which pre-order bonuses? The"headline edition" bonuses are included in the retail version as well. And the retail version can be played a few days before the 24th, if you find a retailer who isn't so exact with the release date.
Only later as DLC but you would need to wait for it to be released as DLC first which technically is what I'm doing this year but mostly because I don't want my career hit by patches plus doing it this way should give me enough time to finish the careers I have on the go on the other games.

BULLDOZOR said:
You can download the game before the release (pretty useful for bad connexion users) and you will get 2 classic cars : Brawn BGP-001  and Williams FW25. And if you want to test the game, there is a demo.
when can you download the game if you pre order it on psn ? 

hardbaked said:
BULLDOZOR said:
You can download the game before the release (pretty useful for bad connexion users) and you will get 2 classic cars : Brawn BGP-001  and Williams FW25. And if you want to test the game, there is a demo.
Usually 3 days. I haven't pre-ordered yet but when you pre-order you have an option to select auto download or not. On that screen it says "available for download on >date<" which is like I said, usually 3 days before release.

Gregmom said:
hardbaked said:
BULLDOZOR said:
Usually 3 days. I haven't pre-ordered yet but when you pre-order you have an option to select auto download or not. On that screen it says "available for download on >date<" which is like I said, usually 3 days before release.
yeah usually preload for games is about 3 days to a week before release on most platforms.

MattkD37 said:
Genuine question. What's the point in pre-ordering? You don't get access to the game early so have to wait until full release anyway. Plus you're paying the most amount of money for a product that you don't even know works correctly. At least if you give ita few days you can see whether the game works properly and make a more informed decision. As I said, this is a genuine question.
Because you don’t have to go to the store and it will come to you automatically via mail on release day. And with other games you can get bonuses.

9 hours ago, salminho55 said:

It guarantees them money in the bank, whether the game subsequently flops or not. 

Who cares. If you live in a capitalist nation, that is the choice of the buyer. I don't live in a communist nation, so that means I can pre order. I don't though because it's easier just to go and buy it on release day

Posted (edited)

it also a way for them to gauge how many physical copies they will need to produce and ship for release date. 

Edited by Cap10

Pre ordered my ps4 version of the game today online at simplygames.com at a very reasonable price of £37.95.

I almost always preorder f1 games from Codemasters. why? Even if I don't preorder I will still pay full price as I can't wait till the prices drop. I just love F1 games. Last year I already knew everything about the game before reviews came out and before the game was released. 

There are so many YouTubers playing the game prior to release you know what you will you get before you even read a review. 

As I buy my games digital I get to play it immediately on release date once I fire up the PS4

I've preordered and prepaid F1 2019 as i've supported Codemasters since Dizzy in the 1980s. They've given me countless hours of entertainment so i'm more than happy to support them.

• Agree 1

Paying for issues with Racenet and release day bugs? lol no thank you. Codemasters doesn't even fix issues with 2018, why would I waste more money on a bug filled game that I haven't even seen working properly yet?

• Agree 2

Wow, been a while since I was on here and can't believe this thread is still here! I guess it's relevant again with the new game being announced.

I'm still not convinced about pre-ordering. Someone's said they've already pre-ordered F1 2019! Why? We haven't even seen any gameplay trailers or anything yet! I get that people are hyped for a game and want it as soon as it's available (thus pre order and download it then just wait until it's available) but then I see on these forums the same cycle over and over.

They announce a game, people get hyped and pre order, game gets released, people enjoy it for a day or two, people then start to notice bugs/glitches (such as the engine upgrades not working for AI in 2017, the rain/fuel bug on 2018, multiplayer not working since, well, forever. etc) people complain on these forums, codemasters put a few patches out months later which may or may not work, people complain more, game dies down, new game announced and repeat.

"But you get exclusive content if you pre order" yeah, content that is being deliberately held back to attract more pre orders, when that content should already be included for everyone as standard in a game you're paying £50 odd quid for! 

"Yeah but I really love the F1 games and I watch the youtubers play it before release so I know what I'm getting" Ok, fair enough if you genuinely enjoy each game and somehow ignore some of the major glitches we've had over the years, but keep in mind, the youtubers (along with most of the pre release reviews) have incentives to be positive. The youtubers get exclusive access to the game, thus more views and ad revenue, the game reviews usually don't get much time to properly test the game and so they don't pick up on many issues, plus they also get more access in the future if the reviews are positive.

I mostly enjoy the F1 games, but I'm frustrated with the bugs, the glitches, the terrible multiplayer experience (terrible lag and connection issues, toxic people trying to ram you, penalty system that consistently penalises the wrong person etc) and I think by pre-ordering it year in year out, without Codemasters really changing much (apart from a few new features) encourages them to continue ignoring the major underlying issues.

I'm just asking people to look at Codemasters past record with these F1 games. Are you GENUINELY satisfied with how the game was? How did it compare to what the reviews etc said? And if you're happy, fair enough, it's your decision/money, but at least do some research or watch some video's (bearing in mind, they may be biased in favour of the game). 

If you are not happy, then don't pre-order thinking "oh it might be better this time" because looking at the past record, it probably won't be. I skipped F1 2015, because I saw there was nothing really to it. Didn't bother with 2018 either, because it wasn't really that different, apart from visuals and a few extra features. I was cautious as I wanted to see if there were any major issues with the game, as 2017 had that upgrade glitch, so I left it a while, then saw people reporting a glitch with the fuel, weather and AI pitstops (I did try the game as it was free for a weekend not long after it came out and one of my races was ruined by a glitch 😧) So I realised it was the same old story and left it.

Try not to get sucked into the hype, be careful with the reviews and pre release footage and be patient to see if the game is what you expect/want. Once it's released, keep an eye on the forums over the next couple of weeks to see if anything major pops up (if you have the patience to wait that is) and you might just be thankful you saved that £50 pre-order.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, MattkD37 said:

Wow, been a while since I was on here and can't believe this thread is still here! I guess it's relevant again with the new game being announced.

I'm still not convinced about pre-ordering. Someone's said they've already pre-ordered F1 2019! Why? We haven't even seen any gameplay trailers or anything yet! I get that people are hyped for a game and want it as soon as it's available (thus pre order and download it then just wait until it's available) but then I see on these forums the same cycle over and over.

They announce a game, people get hyped and pre order, game gets released, people enjoy it for a day or two, people then start to notice bugs/glitches (such as the engine upgrades not working for AI in 2017, the rain/fuel bug on 2018, multiplayer not working since, well, forever. etc) people complain on these forums, codemasters put a few patches out months later which may or may not work, people complain more, game dies down, new game announced and repeat.

"But you get exclusive content if you pre order" yeah, content that is being deliberately held back to attract more pre orders, when that content should already be included for everyone as standard in a game you're paying £50 odd quid for! 

"Yeah but I really love the F1 games and I watch the youtubers play it before release so I know what I'm getting" Ok, fair enough if you genuinely enjoy each game and somehow ignore some of the major glitches we've had over the years, but keep in mind, the youtubers (along with most of the pre release reviews) have incentives to be positive. The youtubers get exclusive access to the game, thus more views and ad revenue, the game reviews usually don't get much time to properly test the game and so they don't pick up on many issues, plus they also get more access in the future if the reviews are positive.

I mostly enjoy the F1 games, but I'm frustrated with the bugs, the glitches, the terrible multiplayer experience (terrible lag and connection issues, toxic people trying to ram you, penalty system that consistently penalises the wrong person etc) and I think by pre-ordering it year in year out, without Codemasters really changing much (apart from a few new features) encourages them to continue ignoring the major underlying issues.

I'm just asking people to look at Codemasters past record with these F1 games. Are you GENUINELY satisfied with how the game was? How did it compare to what the reviews etc said? And if you're happy, fair enough, it's your decision/money, but at least do some research or watch some video's (bearing in mind, they may be biased in favour of the game). 

If you are not happy, then don't pre-order thinking "oh it might be better this time" because looking at the past record, it probably won't be. I skipped F1 2015, because I saw there was nothing really to it. Didn't bother with 2018 either, because it wasn't really that different, apart from visuals and a few extra features. I was cautious as I wanted to see if there were any major issues with the game, as 2017 had that upgrade glitch, so I left it a while, then saw people reporting a glitch with the fuel, weather and AI pitstops (I did try the game as it was free for a weekend not long after it came out and one of my races was ruined by a glitch 😧) So I realised it was the same old story and left it.

Try not to get sucked into the hype, be careful with the reviews and pre release footage and be patient to see if the game is what you expect/want. Once it's released, keep an eye on the forums over the next couple of weeks to see if anything major pops up (if you have the patience to wait that is) and you might just be thankful you saved that £50 pre-order.

Well here we go again with the discussion that YouTubers have incentives. Sure they do but if you have been watching them for many years you know they like F1 games and complain about things they don't like and think that when they will address it in their video's it will be addressed before release (which never happens btw). 

Last year they were really excited and for some it sounded fishy that they all were so positive about a game that didn't look like much had changed. So I decided to take those positive comments about the game with a grain of salt. when I played the game I realized they did not exaggerate any of their comments. It was the game that was promised in their video's.

On the bug part, I think in the whole codemasters F1 series I ran in one annoying bug that was never addressed and felt clumsy. It had something to do with the wrong tyres being fitted when pitting and it was I guess F1 2012. Since then I encountered a few bugs like rain in every race, which was addressed, I remember last year their was a collision bug in China I encountered, which was addressed.

I'm playing F1 on PS4 and I don't think the F1 games are the bug fest you describe them to be. The YouTubers (with an incentive) are more honest about the F1 games than you so what is your incentive?

If you are playing on a PC I apologize for this comment as I don't know how the game fares on PC. I also only play career mode. Multiplayer is a mess I'm aware of that but I don't care.

10 hours ago, BelgiumDude said:

Well here we go again with the discussion that YouTubers have incentives. Sure they do but if you have been watching them for many years you know they like F1 games and complain about things they don't like and think that when they will address it in their video's it will be addressed before release (which never happens btw). 

Last year they were really excited and for some it sounded fishy that they all were so positive about a game that didn't look like much had changed. So I decided to take those positive comments about the game with a grain of salt. when I played the game I realized they did not exaggerate any of their comments. It was the game that was promised in their video's.

On the bug part, I think in the whole codemasters F1 series I ran in one annoying bug that was never addressed and felt clumsy. It had something to do with the wrong tyres being fitted when pitting and it was I guess F1 2012. Since then I encountered a few bugs like rain in every race, which was addressed, I remember last year their was a collision bug in China I encountered, which was addressed.

I'm playing F1 on PS4 and I don't think the F1 games are the bug fest you describe them to be. The YouTubers (with an incentive) are more honest about the F1 games than you so what is your incentive?

If you are playing on a PC I apologize for this comment as I don't know how the game fares on PC. I also only play career mode. Multiplayer is a mess I'm aware of that but I don't care.

The PC Version of 2018 is actually quite good and well optimized. It's the complete opposite to the state of the Multiplayer mode.

What's my incentive? My incentive is that I'm a fan of F1 and its games, but I'm trying to point out issues with the game (which I believe are exasperated by the whole pre-order blindly/hype bandwagon culture). In the hope that the games will be improved, so I, as a customer in the future, will have a better quality product.

It's very naive to believe that Codemasters don't use the youtubers in their marketing strategy. If the youtubers started giving the games negative coverage in their pre release footage, do you honestly believe they'll have the same access the following year?

I've watched a lot of their content over the years and they always hype up and give glowing reviews to the new game before it's released and then towards the end of the games lifespan, they may weakly point out a few issues here or there.

The weather glitch I was on about was a glitch that changed the amount of fuel your car had during the race if the weather transitioned. E.G, you could be +3 on fuel, then it starts raining, it drops to like -3 (if I'm remembering correctly) and I'm sure the issue persisted after they released a patch for it. Plus there was one where the AI pit like 5 laps in a row when it rained. There was the 2017 bug that meant your AI team mate wouldn't get engine upgrades that you've bought (meaning your car was OP as hell compared to teammate. It was really frustrating if you were trying to get a bottom team to the top and to have your teammate finishing at the back all the time)

The purpose of my message was to point out the potential flaws of pre-ordering and to try and encourage people to be more cautious with pre-release reviews etc to avoid potential disappointment if a major bug or issue arose shortly after release. (Especially with a franchise that has a history of bugs, glitches and features that may not work as intended).

With people being more cautious and scrutinising things, they can make an informed decision on whether or not they wish to purchase the product. You can't effectively do that if you pre-order a game based on potentially biased reviews and limited pre-release footage.

I mainly play career mode as well, I used to play a lot online with a bunch of other clean drivers, but after all the connection issues and other dirty drivers in the lobby and the absolute mess that it was, I gave up with online. So there's half the content of the game gone. But, as I said, I'll wait until I see more gameplay and footage and I'll keep an eye on the forums and if I'm satisfied with how the game looks and what features the career mode has, then I'll consider buying it. If there's loads of reports of issues and the game doesn't seem to be that much different than the previous year, then I'll skip it for another year.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

You can call me naive for using youtube video's as a guide to pre-order or not. If I get the same experience as I watched on those video's I got what I expected to get. Not pre-ordering is not gonna change anything on if they address the bugs or if bugs are present. 

Let's say nobody pre-orders it but buys it after release like before? They still receive the same amount of cash. Pre-orders are not the bulk of the sales. I don't get that sentiment that developers will make better games if you don't pre-order. I think the more people pre-order developers wanna get their game out as good as it can because if everyone complains no one else will buy the game anymore, which is the bulk of the cash.

Firstly, I'm not calling you naive for watching the youtubers and purchasing a product based on those video's. I'm saying it's naive to think that the reviews they give aren't at all affected by the amount of access they receive. (It's a win win situation. Codemasters gets more coverage/advertising for the new game and the youtubers get more views. Which means more youtube ad money plus a free early copy of the game etc)

Secondly, if less people pre-order the game and they wait until it's released, they can decide whether or not it meets their expectations based on actual customer reviews on websites, forums etc or watching different youtube video's. If the game is lacking in content or has issues or it doesn't meet expectations for whatever reason, they are less likely to buy the game. This affects the sales and thus Codemasters profits. Codemasters will then have to look at why their game didn't sell so well and they'll realise that they need to fix the issues in their game to increase sales in the future. Whereas, if people just pre-order the game (let's say F1 2019 for example) and it turns out to be a mess, but CM's profits are up regardless, then there's less of an incentive for them to change things.

I'm just using this as an example. I'm not saying the F1 games are totally bad and people should avoid them at all costs, I'm saying that if people wait and see if the game meets their expectations and decide whether or not to buy it based on that, then good quality games will be rewarded with more sales and poor quality games will be met with less sales.

• Agree 3

On 4/19/2019 at 2:12 AM, MattkD37 said:

Firstly, I'm not calling you naive for watching the youtubers and purchasing a product based on those video's. I'm saying it's naive to think that the reviews they give aren't at all affected by the amount of access they receive. (It's a win win situation. Codemasters gets more coverage/advertising for the new game and the youtubers get more views. Which means more youtube ad money plus a free early copy of the game etc)

Secondly, if less people pre-order the game and they wait until it's released, they can decide whether or not it meets their expectations based on actual customer reviews on websites, forums etc or watching different youtube video's. If the game is lacking in content or has issues or it doesn't meet expectations for whatever reason, they are less likely to buy the game. This affects the sales and thus Codemasters profits. Codemasters will then have to look at why their game didn't sell so well and they'll realise that they need to fix the issues in their game to increase sales in the future. Whereas, if people just pre-order the game (let's say F1 2019 for example) and it turns out to be a mess, but CM's profits are up regardless, then there's less of an incentive for them to change things.

I'm just using this as an example. I'm not saying the F1 games are totally bad and people should avoid them at all costs, I'm saying that if people wait and see if the game meets their expectations and decide whether or not to buy it based on that, then good quality games will be rewarded with more sales and poor quality games will be met with less sales.

If you do a negative video on an F1 game, you will get the most watched video of all those Youtube previews. And really you should watch those video's again and count the times they say "I hope they address this in the final version" or "I'm sure they will address ..." or stuff like that.

Codemasters makes it possible for people to see the full game in action. You can actually watch an entire season before the game releases. So I don't know why you are still trying to explain that people should wait until the game is out to make up their minds if they purchase the game. The reviews are the same as the experiences shared on YouTube.

From my experience the worst place to go to make up your minds if the game is worth purchasing is this forum after release. It is filled with people complaining and calling it a ****** game. Like there is some other copy of the game out there that I haven't tried.

Posted (edited)

i pre-ordered F1 2018 and have no regrets at all as it's the best F1 game i've ever played. 

but i will not be pre-ordering F1 2019 as i got burned BADLY by Dirt Rally 2.0, of which i pre-ordered the deluxe edition. Codemasters purposefully hid the always-online requirement from everyone prior to release, Racenet was and still is a disaster, and the game was replete with bugs rendering most of it unplayable. and then the final slap in the face was the fact that the game went on sale about a month after release.

i know they've said Racenet won't be in F1 2019, which is great. but Codemasters have a very bad track record of releasing very buggy games that haven't been tested and/or fixed properly prior to release. best to wait a month or two before picking F1 2019 up imo, when most of the inevitable game-breaking bugs CM games usually have, have been ironed out (or we know they aren't going to get ironed out, such as the AI problems in DR2.0).

Edited by Tranzitive
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 7:20 AM, BelgiumDude said:

If you do a negative video on an F1 game, you will get the most watched video of all those Youtube previews.

Maybe, but you won't get early access to future games, thus losing you views and money in the long run.

And really you should watch those video's again and count the times they say "I hope they address this in the final version" or "I'm sure they will address ..." or stuff like that.

Yep, those are usually small issues that are easily picked up straight away (and obviously should be addressed before release.) I'm talking about the more major issues that tend to be discovered a few weeks after the game has been released. (It took a while for the 2017 AI engine upgrade bug to be discovered and Codies pretty much said there was nothing they could do to fix it. I'd argue that that was a large bug, especially if you were racing as Mclaren) If I'd known this issue existed on release, I may not have bought the game.

The reviews are the same as the experiences shared on YouTube.

That's your opinion. There's always reviews saying how great the game is, but then a few weeks after release, we start to find issues. Whether you still agree with the reviews after finding such issues, is totally your opinion. Not to say the game is terrible because of these issues (depending on what they are) but the reviews never mention these problems (probably because, as stated above, we just haven't discovered them yet.) Reviews tend to just go off of a few hours of gameplay and some press releases of new features by Codies. The youtubers have a bit of an advantage here because they've played each game and they tend to have more time to play the new game before release. But major issues with the game do tend to take longer to find.

From my experience the worst place to go to make up your minds if the game is worth purchasing is this forum after release. It is filled with people complaining and calling it a ****** game. Like there is some other copy of the game out there that I haven't tried.

I agree with you there, to an extent. Of course there's going to be the annoying people just complaining about absolute nonsense and calling the game rubbish, which has no critical value whatsoever. What I look for in the forums after a release, is whether there is an issue that numerous people are reporting. If there's a post reporting an issue with a certain feature in the game, and there's loads of people commenting on that thread all saying they have the same issue, then you know that it's credible. (Someone's reported a genuine problem, not just written something like 'this game is rubbish, blah blah blah') Then I'd be able to make a more informed decision on whether to buy the game or not. *Edit* And I can just keep an eye on the issue to see if Codies can/will fix it and maybe buy the game after the fix.

Edited by MattkD37

On 5/1/2019 at 1:37 AM, MattkD37 said:

That's your opinion. There's always reviews saying how great the game is, but then a few weeks after release, we start to find issues. Whether you still agree with the reviews after finding such issues, is totally your opinion. Not to say the game is terrible because of these issues (depending on what they are) but the reviews never mention these problems (probably because, as stated above, we just haven't discovered them yet.) Reviews tend to just go off of a few hours of gameplay and some press releases of new features by Codies. The youtubers have a bit of an advantage here because they've played each game and they tend to have more time to play the new game before release. But major issues with the game do tend to take longer to find.

That's why I love the previews from the Youtubers. They test the game extensively, you get to see what you get. An example of an issue they discovered in the game in preview is the difficulty gap between tracks. An issue they mentioned and I immediately understood this was a recurring issue that would not be addressed. I knew before I bought the game I would have to change the difficulty between weekends. 

Like you said reviewers just try it for a few hours so waiting till the game comes out to order isn't really helping you to make a choice. most people use reviews to decide if they order or not.

For me personally the forum is not the best place to make that decision. Focussing an issue that others describe whilst not having played the game yourself. Codemasters has always delivered an F1 game that I loved and that is not the sentiment I see mostly on this forum. A perfect game does not exist and will never exist. 

That's why I pre order. Reviews and support forum can't help me in deciding if the game is good. Youtube previews do help me decide if it is worth pre ordering. It's because Codemasters gives youtubers the chance to test the game extensively that I trust the company much more than other game developers. 

On 4/16/2019 at 7:45 PM, MattkD37 said:

Ordering pre-orders is naivety. You like a product, it refers to your hobby. You've played previous editions with annoying errors, and you're still buying a new version, because you believe in all the marketing bull**** that this time the developer has achieved perfection. And every year, you make the same mistake. You pull out the wallet from your pocket, because there is a new version of the game.

Of course, you're right that you should not pay before the game is released. Wait two - three months, read the opinions and comments of other players. Wait for the patches. Decide if this is the right moment for buying. Otherwise, the developer or publisher will learn nothing. All these "free" extras are worthless. Often later, you can buy them when the game will be sufficiently tested by early buyers :).

Long ago I was also naive, so I understand those who decide to pay earlier :). In time, they will also understand that it is not worth it.

I hope my English was understandable enough.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1