Sign in to follow this  

Why the Weird Release Window

I am pretty much brand new to the F1 video game series. I pretty much purchased F1 2017 back in June and loved it. I'm looking forward to what F1 2018 has to offer.

However, my question is why does Codemasters release their game as the Summer break ends? As opposed to at the start of the season in March? If there is a specifc reason then I hope they can add in a patch that updates the roster and the beginning of the new season. With Riccardo set to join Renault and Alonso announcing his retirement and who knows what's going to happen before we get to Spa and beyond the game will feel a bit outdated come the actual 2019 season. Other sports games offer free roster updates (nhl, nba, nfl etc.) why doesn't codemasters?

I am pretty much brand new to the F1 video game series. I pretty much purchased F1 2017 back in June and loved it. I'm looking forward to what F1 2018 has to offer.

However, my question is why does Codemasters release their game as the Summer break ends? As opposed to at the start of the season in March? If there is a specifc reason then I hope they can add in a patch that updates the roster and the beginning of the new season. With Riccardo set to join Renault and Alonso announcing his retirement and who knows what's going to happen before we get to Spa and beyond the game will feel a bit outdated come the actual 2019 season. Other sports games offer free roster updates (nhl, nba, nfl etc.) why doesn't codemasters?

It's mainly because they don' t get the information any earlier than the rest of us do and it takes time to implement such things in the game. They don't even see the cars any earlier than the rest of us which means they can't put the cars into the game until they see them which is the same time we do a the start of the season and they have to program in the pecking order for the teams and everything as well. Blame the teams as I think their the problem as they're the main problem there because they like to play secretly it's just the way F1 works. F1 doesn't work the same way as like football does for example because yes in Fifa they can just shuffle the players into their new teams and  then boom done the next game can come out. F1 is a lot more complicated than that mainly due to how it's run.

To answer your question the last teams unveil their cars just before winter testing in mid to late February, and even then not all sponsorship deals are in place and liveries are subject to change, more over there would be no way to accurately simulate the performance pecking order wich doesn’t really get established until just before summer break due to massive aero, and power unit upgrades in the first half of the season. That’s a lot to roll out in a patch, the season would be over before we got the last update. As far as driver changes are concerned, that runs into Licensing, with FOM. Besides that point why would CM give away an update that makes 2018 relevant in 2019, when they can sell you f1 2019. That being said I do agree that the game comes out way to late, it should be released at the start of summer break, that way players would have a month to catch-up to spa, and leagues and career players could race along with the season. In my opinion that would make a lot of sense to a sport that is desperately trying to capture a younger demographic.

Other games, don't offer update of the next season. You have to buy FIFA 19, NBA 2k19, ... If you want this new season jerseys and rosters.

EA released F1 2000 in about April. It was so early, and contained so many errors (terrible Spa model, no rain) that they released F1 Championship Season 2000 at the end of the year with added bits. Yep, 2 F1 games from the same consultant in one year (and neither was a cartoon kart racer!).

So, sometimes it's better to wait for the full experience. Dakar 2018 is out in September, but the event was in January and is a totally different route next year!

Who is this FOM everyone speaks about ??
Formula One Management. It was established by Mr. Bernie Ecclestone to handle everything about F1. Except rules and regulations, of course. That's still FIA's job as governing body. FOM is Formula 1's promoter. Though, now it is owned by Liberty Media.

I dont understand why the dont release the game at start of summer break I mean it makes sence it gives the costumers time to get up to speed with it ready for the end of break and gives something to get stuck into while the is no f1 on and the chances are the game is just sat on a shelf in a warehouse waiting to get shipped out at start of break also it gives a bit more of an chance to get some of the bugs ironed outbefore spa it would be cool if f1 them selfs could make the game a member from each team helping to design it and at start of every season gdt an big update with all the changes 

With the teams getting involved in eSports something like mentioned above could well happen, however not to update every season because as fore mentioned then they cannot sell you F1 2019. But a designated member from each team could possibly help out with physics model, handling and so on. The one thing that is a solid fact is that the game is sitting in a warehouse on a shelf, whether it’s Codies warehouse or a distributor like GameStop or Amazon. But at the same time given their questionable marketing strategy in the past few years of me dealing with the company this is not surprising. I mean we’re getting a day 1 patch, simple as that, so why not just release the game without these added bits and pieces and give us something to do during this monotonous break. The current release window is so so silly! I mean, I, for one go back to school 4 days after release. However if somebody with a little something up there would have realised that then they would have acknowledged that and how it could impact sales. I could tell you that from some basic business classes - so a company working under one of the most exclusive licences in the world, should too! If they don’t, it makes me question the business intelligence of the personnel they employ!

Also how would they know what tyre allocations there are seeing as they only announce 3 races at a time 

kingmjj said:
Also how would they know what tyre allocations there are seeing as they only announce 3 races at a time 
They don't know. They just make educated guess, (usually the same tire compounds in the same race, as that same race has had on previous years game) and if they get it wrong, they just patch in the correct tire compounds. This question was kinda redundant, though, as there's no knowing before Pirelli tells what tires are going to be used on which race, and how many sets of each compounds the teams have ordered.

5 years ago - Just saying these exist
"You would think Codies would release the game during the summer break so we can play along the rest of the season."
HattaCM: "Unfortunately we can't. The info just isn't there at the time"

"Honestly? Release it near the beginning of the season so we can play along with the Championship."
HattaCM: "As perfect as it would be, it just isn't possible right now. We find out the majority of new info the same time as you do. For example, we don't know the TBC Grand Prix location, so if we shipped the game next week it would be missing an entire Grand Prix. :P"