Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2018 can you skip pratice sessions? Penalized?

Can you skip pratice sessions in F1 2018? Are you penalized for doing so [others team progress faster then you for not completing programs or they not gaining a advatnage for skipping these] ? Are you able to lower Ai level to zero during pratice and rise back your pace level during quali/race?

Yes skipping practice is something I definitely want for 2019 because I don't think it will be in there. I was very happy when they introduced the practice session missions but they make the game harder to pick up when you can't invest a lot of time in the game. The problem is that it is mandatory to progress.

Codemasters should add a fast career mode where you can skip practice and make the XP based on qualifying and race results. Alternatively they could make it so that you can unlock that mode after doing one full season. 

From Autosport: ''Finally, there's the option to skip practice sessions without losing out on the development tree, a much-needed boost to those without the time required to spend every minute refining the car.

Thanks to a more generous return of R&D development tokens, those who do simulate sessions will not miss out on the game's new development war through a season and later into your career.''

Pretty happy with this change, it'll make career feel like less of a grind after a season or two.

I do not get the practice elements to be honest, every lap is data and resource points should be purely given out for driving the car! I used to spend my practises fine tuning the car, not worrying about losing points cause I drive a different line than the AI through some corners.

So what happens if I wanna practice and ot do the silly programs do I lose out on points?

Ideally they’d give you 2 out of 7 possible programs per weekend. Maybe depending on what parts you’ve added to the car. That way it’s manageable and keeps fun instead of a grind.

Ideally they’d give you 2 out of 7 possible programs per weekend. Maybe depending on what parts you’ve added to the car. That way it’s manageable and keeps fun instead of a grind.
This us a great idea! It was 5 last time out and for me that was too much to the point that I do not have enough time to set up my car right.

That or like I said change the 10 point laps cap to 30

There has to be much more of a story behind the practice sessions. Like, R&D is working on something and they want you to test out something, etc. Not just static tasks for points.

There has to be much more of a story behind the practice sessions. Like, R&D is working on something and they want you to test out something, etc. Not just static tasks for points.
I do that as a narrative but the idea of @Koekenbakker28 is actually just that. Iff they give you 2 programs to run, you have that story.

I guess it also depends on how seriously you take the idea behind the programs, I felt you can get more out of them if you actually 'use' them for the race instead of pushing for the R&D points only; to figure out the least amount of fuel to take on board and actually put your fuel saving tactics to use in the GP, or figuring out your tyre saving/race strategy for example. 

But yeah, it's not always something you necessarily all want to do when booting up the game and they quickly felt like a grind in the previous game. I personally won't mind skipping some practice sessions this year if it doesn't affect the development race as much.

But is this now in the game? Because on youtube none mentioned it and described the same grind. You seem to get a lot of points of the programs so I guess they are mandatory again 

I guess it also depends on how seriously you take the idea behind the programs, I felt you can get more out of them if you actually 'use' them for the race instead of pushing for the R&D points only; to figure out the least amount of fuel to take on board and actually put your fuel saving tactics to use in the GP, or figuring out your tyre saving/race strategy for example. 

But yeah, it's not always something you necessarily all want to do when booting up the game and they quickly felt like a grind in the previous game. I personally won't mind skipping some practice sessions this year if it doesn't affect the development race as much.
yeah I admit if I have too much component wear such as with my Sauber's gearboxes I do sometimes skip some practice or if the weather looks bad and I' m not going achieve much from it. I always do the qualifying and race pace tests though as they're fairly easy and quick to do. So they're  basically 100 free resource points just for doing them each time. At least in 2017 that's how it works. Personally I prefer to pass the tests and earn the upgrades as quickly as possible but I know that because of component wear and stuff it's not always possible. So it's a case of trying to find a balance