Sign in to follow this  

Feature request: Virtual rear-view mirror

It seems as if Codies have again declined to include the option to toggle on a virtual rear-view mirror in F1 2018, something most other circuit-based racing games and sims tend to have.

Yes it is not realistic, but having our view and peripheral vision confined to a screen also isn't, so allowing the option to toggle on a mirror would be appreciated in an upcoming update.

It would be a huge help to cockpit view users who have no easy access to mirrors in their car of choice without some bizarre looking FOV changes, and also be useful to T-cam users (the most popular view afaik) who have mirrors that are too small to be useful right now.

This should also help avoid car contact both online and offline, prompting safer and cleaner driving. Proximity arrows simply don't give enough info, and overusing the look back feature can often cause you to miss corners or crash into cars in front.

Hopefully you can pull this off Codies, as the rest of this year's game looks pretty promising so far!

Agree - to get the right FOV for most of the cars you lose the mirrors - and it is very hard to track cars behind - and a lot of collisions in the single player mode are as a result of this. Proximity arrows help - but as was said above - don't provide enough info.

there are mountains of basic needs and features that some how escape codemasters to do list. Most of which are so obvious its hard to think they never thought of them.

I agree man this is one of the biggest requests and i cannot believe that they do not have it.  Every single game now a days does, and you really need it if you want to race in cockpit view to get the correct FOV as the mirrors are way out of view.

I believe they should fix the FOV instead of implementing an unrealistic rear view mirror. 
Why not do both?
Tbh, instead of a singular mirror, I'd rather have virtual wing-mirrors that I could place.

But that's me.

I believe they should fix the FOV instead of implementing an unrealistic rear view mirror. 
But how? The only way to do that is to make the cars smaller than in real life so you can see more in your cockpit view.

There's nothing wrong with the FOV, with a realistic setting you won't see the mirrors because of how the cars are built, unless you are sitting very close to a huge screen. IRL drivers have to look left and right to see them.

So... apparently Dave Greco asked for a virtual mirror, and there was one in the earlier builds, but it was removed for being 'ugly'.

I'm sorry, but if ever there was a time for function over beauty, THIS IS IT!
@Faya, is there ANYONE from the dev team willing to give us this option? It is needed.

Jimmy thinks so as well
https://youtu.be/M-usQmIoLBU

• Body is 17 characters too short.

So... apparently Dave Greco asked for a virtual mirror, and there was one in the earlier builds, but it was removed for being 'ugly'.

@Faya, is there ANYONE from the dev team willing to give us this option? It is needed.
This is promising to hear actually, as it means code for it is already floating around in their game files. Even if it is aesthetically ugly, give us the option to run with it. If people don't like it, it's an option, so they can disable it.

Good to see Jimmy also giving it some attention!

Hi all,

I can't promise anything, but I will pass the request and this thread along to the team. 

Faya said:
Hi all,

I can't promise anything, but I will pass the request and this thread along to the team. 
Excellent, please can you keep us updated as this is quite an important feature.

Also, if you can ask about virtual wing-mirrors too, that'd be awesome.

Where'd you get that from? If that's true it would be ridiculous. I really hope it can still be added. Driving in cockpit cam is fantastic, but not seeing the cars next to you in the mirrors makes it near impossible sometimes to have proper close racing with a normal FOV.

If the virtual mirror is added, it could simply be in the space of the halo on top. I also think it should show the FOV of both 'wing' mirrors combined, instead of just the rearview from a position in the middle to make you see not only behind you, but a bit next to you as well like you would with the normal wing mirrors.

Where'd you get that from? If that's true it would be ridiculous. I really hope it can still be added. Driving in cockpit cam is fantastic, but not seeing the cars next to you makes it near impossible sometimes to have proper close racing with a normal FOV.

If the virtual mirror is added, it could simply be in the space of the halo on top. I also think it should show the FOV of both 'wing' mirrors combined, instead of just the rearview from a position in the middle to make you see not only behind you, but a bit next to you as well like you would with the normal wing mirrors.
Sim Racing Paddock alluded to a convo between them and Greco on Jimmy Broadbent's '5 Things That Need To Change For F1 2018' video.

Why not make the virtual mirror blend into the Halo in cockpit cam? Feather the edges and give them translucent edges, so it looks like a rear view camera, theirs talk of doing this in the actual sport too and removing mirrors.

Faya said:
Hi all,

Thanks!! - this would significantly improve the game for those of us who use the cockpit view with a realistic FOV.

Very impressed on the feedback here.  Even if it does not get implemented I am pleased that there was recognition.  It is always great to get feedback from the team!  Even if it is just to confirm, deny, or at least say hey we are keeping an eye on it.  @Faya

Lets take some of the space where Codies have improved the sky and the clouds, and improve racing by adding rear view all over it. HUD ruins Tcam and for cockpit the FOV required on a 40 inch TV makes for a weird view. 

To have a true cockit FOV with the correct seating arrangement you either need triple screens, a super wide curved screen, or  VR.

On consoles you cannot run a wide display or triple screens, so the only fair option is to have the virtual mirrors.

Ugly? yet the Halo stays (and loses them sales?)  lol

Rindt70 said:

Ugly? yet the Halo stays (and loses them sales?)  lol
Yet another reason to add the virtual mirror in cockpit cam, they could make the mirror a useful halo-overlay on top.

I would really love a virtual mirror, can see maybe a mm or two of each mirror in a proper FOV, and using the arrows alone doesn't seem to provide me enough opportunity to block who is behind me.  Once the arrows indicate they are close they are apparently too close and my moving over causes me to get rear ended.  So, I can't attempt to block others, once that arrow turns red they're passing you.  Virtual mirror helps a good bit in project cars 1 and 2, makes a lot of sense.

Even with a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor, I can't see my mirrors with the correct FOV.  Please give us a virtual mirror!

I actually appreciate the updated arrow proximity system this year, with the stacked arrows within a car length (it seems) and then turning red when they break through the horizontal plane of your car. That has saved me a handful of crashes already, but does nothing for trying to keep an eye on a faster car's approach, or preventing someone from drafting down a straight, or just visualizing gaps in general.
I definitely want to cast my vote for virtual mirrors. As another console cockpit view driver, I would really love to see the option for adjustable wing mirror location, rather than a centralized graphic. Take the exact image that is being displayed in the existing mirrors (that I can't see) and let me slide it inward until it's visible.