Sign in to follow this  

Sim Racing Paddock's Review on F1 2018

Hey guys! I just wanted to share my review on F1 2018!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K3YqYf8p2U

If you'd rather read: http://simracingpaddock.com/codemasters-f1/f1-2018-review/
Hope you enjoy, and that I'll get to see you guys on the track!

~00:58 - "...since this is pre-release, I have not been able to test out the online functionality..."

~10:38 - "...Do I recommend F1 2018? If you are a Formula 1 fan and are fine not having a bleeding edge racing simulation with the most advanced physics, then I think you'll really enjoy F1 2018. If you go in expecting a racing simulation at the caliber of rFactor2, Automobilista, Assetto Corsa, or iRacing though, I think you will come away disappointed..."

~11:26 - "...please consider hitting that like button and subscribe..."

If you have not played through at least 2 full-length career mode seasons to see how it fully plays out, and you have not experienced the public multiplayer side of the game at all, then I don't think anybody should label this type of content as a "review."

Pre-release assessments are little more than first impressions of incomplete games - not "reviews."

This video sounds to me like you mostly just went down the known feature list that's already been publicly advertised (improved graphics, improved physics, improved sounds, classic cars, manual ERS, press interviews, R&D changes, etc.), so there doesn't seem to be much new/original info in the video; it's almost like anybody could have used the marketing materials & footage that's already been published elsewhere to edit this video together even if they haven't yet played the game themselves. Was this supposed to be a "review" or another ad/commercial?

(Your mention of improved/reduced input lag was something I don't recall hearing/reading about elsewhere yet, so that's nice to hear.)

"I think you'll enjoy it if you're a fan" seems like a pretty bland & safe "recommendation" that anybody could say about almost any game.

Please understand that none of this is intended as a personal attack of any kind. I'm only giving my own review of this "review" based on how informative and/or entertaining it was to me. I wish more "reviews" would tell us more we don't already know, get off the fence, and take a firm stand instead of playing it safe with such generic fluff dumped out just to keep the content pump churning.

Thanks for the review - particularly the focus on car handling and new physics (tire and suspension) and how they compare with previous versions and with other games. Much appreciated...

Operator1 said:

~00:58 - "...since this is pre-release, I have not been able to test out the online functionality..."

~10:38 - "...Do I recommend F1 2018? If you are a Formula 1 fan and are fine not having a bleeding edge racing simulation with the most advanced physics, then I think you'll really enjoy F1 2018. If you go in expecting a racing simulation at the caliber of rFactor2, Automobilista, Assetto Corsa, or iRacing though, I think you will come away disappointed..."

If you have not played through at least 2 full-length career mode seasons to see how it fully plays out, and you have not experienced the public multiplayer side of the game at all, then I don't think anybody should label this type of content as a "review."

Pre-release assessments are little more than first impressions of incomplete games - not "reviews."

This video sounds to me like you mostly just went down the known feature list that's already been publicly advertised (improved graphics, improved physics, improved sounds, classic cars, manual ERS, press interviews, R&D changes, etc.), so there doesn't seem to be much new/original info in the video; it's almost like anybody could have used the marketing materials & footage that's already been published elsewhere to edit this video together even if they haven't yet played the game themselves. Was this supposed to be a "review" or another ad/commercial?

(Your mention of improved/reduced input lag was something I don't recall hearing/reading about elsewhere yet, so that's nice to hear.)

"I think you'll enjoy it if you're a fan" seems like a pretty bland & safe "recommendation" that anybody could say about almost any game.

Please understand that none of this is intended as a personal attack of any kind. I'm only giving my own review of this "review" based on how informative and/or entertaining it was to me. I wish more "reviews" would tell us more we don't already know, get off the fence, and take a firm stand instead of playing it safe with such generic fluff dumped out just to keep the content pump churning.

STOP ATTACKING HIM STIP ATTACKING HIM STOP ATTACKING HIM HES JUST DOING AN HONEST REVIEW STOP

for any idiots out there I was joking...

Operator1 said:

*sigh*                                                                                                   

A good level headed review. I'm not to worried about how much of a simulator it is. I have a PC for that, I buy F1 for the fun factor 

Operator1 said:

But tell me how we will get an honest review in your ideal world? In your ideal world shops would be stuck with games for weeks before they start to sell their first copy because ideally no one preorder and everyone would wait till someone has played the game in depth for weeks. That is actually very selfish because stocking products costs money and actually I think the whole game industry would go bust. 

And what will be the result? We would still buy Codemasters F1 series because all reviews would also be so honest about other games as well so  F1 would still get good reviews

You have to adapt to the world you live in because the world won't adapt to you

Operator1 said:

But tell me how we will get an honest review in your ideal world? In your ideal world shops would be stuck with games for weeks before they start to sell their first copy because ideally no one preorder and everyone would wait till someone has played the game in depth for weeks. That is actually very selfish because stocking products costs money and actually I think the whole game industry would go bust. 

And what will be the result? We would still buy Codemasters F1 series because all reviews would also be so honest about other games as well so  F1 would still get good reviews

Or.....a full game is designed, built and tested. Once complete, then it is issued to those to review the FULL game i.e. everything from single player to multiplayer is available as if it was released. All those reviewing play the full game for a few weeks like they were part of the testing team and then give a full review of the game. 

It's got nothing to do with keeping it stocked on a shelf in a store, it's about giving them enough time before launch to review the full game before releasing. 

I agree with Operator that if you cannot play the full game then how can you give a full review. It is a first impression until you are able to test the whole game to its fullest!

Oh ok, so then the reviewers write raving reviews about the multiplayer. People get excited and buy the game and Multiplayer seems a disaster because it was only tested with a handful of reviewers. We live in a new era where features like online have become very important you will never know how well it runs until everyone is online, not just some reviewers

martbloke said:

Or.....a full game is designed, built and tested. Once complete, then it is issued to those to review the FULL game i.e. everything from single player to multiplayer is available as if it was released. All those reviewing play the full game for a few weeks like they were part of the testing team and then give a full review of the game. 

It's got nothing to do with keeping it stocked on a shelf in a store, it's about giving them enough time before launch to review the full game before releasing. 

I agree with Operator that if you cannot play the full game then how can you give a full review. It is a first impression until you are able to test the whole game to its fullest!
Review copies are the full game, there's literally no difference with the retail version, so I'm not sure where you got the idea that they don't include multiplayer etc. The only reason reviewers don't give conclusive opinions on that is because of a lack of players to fill the lobbies and the limited time they have between receiving the copy and the game's release.