Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2018 UDP Specification

IJS84 said:
@Hoo any thoughts on my idea of a hashed driver name?
Let's hope they will implement this, it's the best idea to solve the problem. :)

Lopensky said:
IJS84 said:
Let's hope they will implement this, it's the best idea to solve the problem. :)
We've looked at the idea and there might still be some concerns regarding the latest privacy laws - we're still looking at various options, but don't think a straightforward hash would be sufficient. However, we have now fixed the driver IDs in online sessions so these should be stable for all of the known AI drivers. In addition, human players will have a unique ID for the duration of the multiplayer session, so you may be able to use the sessionUID and driverID to correlate results for a session more easily.

Shame. Hope you can come up with something that can work as it's a real pain having to map driver names every session

Hoo said:
Lopensky said:
IJS84 said:
We've looked at the idea and there might still be some concerns regarding the latest privacy laws - we're still looking at various options, but don't think a straightforward hash would be sufficient. However, we have now fixed the driver IDs in online sessions so these should be stable for all of the known AI drivers. In addition, human players will have a unique ID for the duration of the multiplayer session, so you may be able to use the sessionUID and driverID to correlate results for a session more easily.
Re the privacy, I assume this is re GDPR? I'm not sure how including the gamer handles in the telemetry (which is generally constrained to the players LAN anyway, or could be for sure if you wanted to enforce it) would be a breach. Firstly the gamer handles are already being transmitted over the internet by the game for the multiplayer sessions, as each player in a MP session can see every other players gamer name. Not to mention anyone that is streaming their gaming sessions is also broadcasting that same information. Secondly anyone that joins an online session is well aware that their gamer handle is being passed onto other players / spectators. A handle in itself is fairly anonymous to the outside world without having some underlying linked account data to connect it to, which is not in anyway involved in the telemetry. I would imagine your TOS already cover the fact that gamer handles are shared with other during gaming sessions, so would that not also cover telemetry?

We have to tread very carefully where there is a suggestion that user data can be passed to and stored by third parties without explicit consent. For our purposes, anything that can allow someone to correlate data with an individual user falls exactly into this category. There is a difference between passing around player information in a supposedly closed network environment and providing a data structure to facilitate to storing of this information. We are still considering a few of options which might still give you what you're after, so I'll let you know if there are any developments in this area.

Hoo said:
We have to tread very carefully where there is a suggestion that user data can be passed to and stored by third parties without explicit consent. For our purposes, anything that can allow someone to correlate data with an individual user falls exactly into this category. There is a difference between passing around player information in a supposedly closed network environment and providing a data structure to facilitate to storing of this information. We are still considering a few of options which might still give you what you're after, so I'll let you know if there are any developments in this area.
Thanks for the info, yeah GDPR is great in principal but hard to deal with for a lot of companies due to some of the broad definitions they use.
Just a thought but why not just ask for explicit consent, if you want to play online you have to consent to your gamer tag being shared? Thanks for keeping us informed :)

Hoo said:
However, we have now fixed the driver IDs in online sessions so these should be stable for all of the known AI drivers. In addition, human players will have a unique ID for the duration of the multiplayer session, so you may be able to use the sessionUID and driverID to correlate results for a session more easily.
That sounds great! Some questions:
1 - when this is going to be released for PS4?
2 - Driver_id now is th eone that corresponds to the selected driver?
3 - Isn't the human players driver ID the one given by the selected F1 driver? In case, it's obvous that it keep the same value for whole multiplayer session.. If not.. please explain this better :P

Lopensky said:

3 - Isn't the human players driver ID the one given by the selected F1 driver? In case, it's obvous that it keep the same value for whole multiplayer session.. If not.. please explain this better :P
Yes, but it is also possible for players to change teams at any point in a series of multiplayer races, so the ID would change. I think that the new way ensures that the ID stays the same until the player exits the multiplayer lobby. I'll check this with the dev team when I get a moment. This next set of fixes should go into the next patch. I'll give some more details once the patch has been through our test team.

Hoo said:
Lopensky said:

Yes, but it is also possible for players to change teams at any point in a series of multiplayer races, so the ID would change. I think that the new way ensures that the ID stays the same until the player exits the multiplayer lobby. I'll check this with the dev team when I get a moment. This next set of fixes should go into the next patch. I'll give some more details once the patch has been through our test team.
Sincerely, this new solution seems really bug-prone, since you are forcing an ID to a driver that should have (and i expect him to have) a different one.. Not sure if there's someone out there that really need to keep IDs from different consecutive online races even if drivers change team. :|

If you can make it sure that if i choose Ricciardo my driver_id will be 2, if i choose Hamilton my driver_id will be 7 and so on (accordingly to the driver id table mappings in second post of this topic) that will be enought. If i change driver (ie seect ricciardo then pass to hamilton) i expect the driver_id to CHANGE (from 2 to 7), and that is the way it should work.

If id keeps the same then i will have someone with casual ids, maybe someone with Ricciardo and criver_id 7, while another that uses Hamilton and have a completely random id since 7 is already in use (or even worse, he could have 7 too or the ricciardo's one).

Do not make things work in an unpredictable way, keep it simple, please. :#

@Hoo there appears to still be a bug related to the telemetry and flashbacks. It doesn't always happen, but it is happening. I have a telemetry recording from one of users who was doing a single player race (61 laps) against AI at singapore. What happens is that on lap 14 he hits the wall, between turns 12 and 12 (on the official map), then uses flashback to rewind back to half way between turns 9 and 10. At this point the telemetry triggers a complete session end (SEND) event packet, the m_sessionUID changes to a brand new ID and the m_sessionTime resets back to 0 as well. There may be other fields also reset, but these are the ones that are causing problems as it is effectively telling us apps that a completely new session has started. He did use flashbacks at other points without issue, there was one earlier on in the race that worked correctly.

@Hoo if there are going to be any other changes to the struct, would it be possible to get each players "RaceTime" included, even if its only set once they cross the finish line at the end of a race. Would be handy to have the correct version of this, as our calculated data can currently get messed up sometimes due to flashbacks and lost packets. 

float m_bestLapTime; // Best lap time of the session in seconds

@cjorgens79 is this a trusted value to have the qualification best lap? Does this value ignores invalidated laps or not? :/

@Hoo there appears to still be a bug related to the telemetry and flashbacks. It doesn't always happen, but it is happening. I have a telemetry recording from one of users who was doing a single player race (61 laps) against AI at singapore. What happens is that on lap 14 he hits the wall, between turns 12 and 12 (on the official map), then uses flashback to rewind back to half way between turns 9 and 10. At this point the telemetry triggers a complete session end (SEND) event packet, the m_sessionUID changes to a brand new ID and the m_sessionTime resets back to 0 as well. There may be other fields also reset, but these are the ones that are causing problems as it is effectively telling us apps that a completely new session has started. He did use flashbacks at other points without issue, there was one earlier on in the race that worked correctly.
@Hoo - got a bit more info from my user on the incident, he said "you are correct in that there was a SC come out which was for an incident involving two of the AI.  I was trying to get a clean run for testing fuel and tyres without a SC interruption so I used the flashback to get back to a point before the SC came out and on the restart from that there was no SC incident. The only difference between this FB and others that I can think of was that this one did not involve me in any way whereas the others were done after incidents (spins, crashes) that involved me."

It could be the SC aspect that is triggering the full reset, or flashing back from a SC period into a pre-SC period or something to that effect.

Lopensky said:
float m_bestLapTime; // Best lap time of the session in seconds

@cjorgens79 is this a trusted value to have the qualification best lap? Does this value ignores invalidated laps or not? :/

I presume so, but I cant remember for sure whether I actually tested it or not, I suspect I probably would have..

Lopensky said:

If you can make it sure that if i choose Ricciardo my driver_id will be 2, if i choose Hamilton my driver_id will be 7 and so on (accordingly to the driver id table mappings in second post of this topic) that will be enought. If i change driver (ie seect ricciardo then pass to hamilton) i expect the driver_id to CHANGE (from 2 to 7), and that is the way it should work.

In most session types the player drives as themselves, not as one of the official drivers. I think GP mode is the only mode where you drive as a licensed driver. In your example, you should be able to use the team ID to work out what vehicle they are in. If there is a requirement to know which of the two team slots they occupy in modern era races then that is a different piece of information that we don't currently send via the UDP packet.

Hoo said:
Lopensky said:

In most session types the player drives as themselves, not as one of the official drivers. I think GP mode is the only mode where you drive as a licensed driver. In your example, you should be able to use the team ID to work out what vehicle they are in. If there is a requirement to know which of the two team slots they occupy in modern era races then that is a different piece of information that we don't currently send via the UDP packet.

Why doesn't you send the driver_id of the selected driver in online?!? :(
Which is the utility (or the motivation) of sending a "casual" id for real players? :/

At this point you are telling me there is no way to map these IDs in a decent way. I have to link udp driver to real one at each race start when i start receiving them. Exactly what i want to avoid. :|

Hoo said:
If there is a requirement to know which of the two team slots they occupy in modern era races then that is a different piece of information that we don't currently send via the UDP packet.

This is exactly what i (and others) need. And till now i was sure that the game was sending this info using the driver_id field! :| :| :|

Hi all,

I thought you might like to know that we have a number of UDP fixes in the 1.07 patch, which includes the following;

• Driver information should now be correct in online sessions
  • Player names should now be correctly reported when a player leaves a session
  • m_sessionUID should no longer change when exiting an instant replay
  • Player names should no longer corrupt in online sessions
  • Telemetry – Time trial classic car team id should now be correct
  • Final telemetry info should now send
  • Notification for allowing DRS should now be quicker
  • Cars should no longer be listed as being in second gear while in the garage

Please do let us know if any of these are still giving you issues after you’ve updated to 1.07. For the other fixes that are not UDP related and platform release timelines, please see the thread here.

Can you please be more specific and give us more info about these 3 points? Just to know what has been done and what we have to expect :)

Lopensky said:

Can you please be more specific and give us more info about these 3 points? Just to know what has been done and what we have to expect :)

1. The driver information would be incorrect for many of the drivers in an online session, e.g. you'd be racing against Bottas but the data was telling you that it was Vettel. As part of this change, the driver ID will be updated for human players to indicate that it is not one of the licensed drivers. 

2. This is the issue where you'd get "Player_" over-writing the first part someone's gamertag. The fix is to now only show "Player" without the other half of the gamertag being present.

3. This was the issue where the session would end, but the final packet which might contain the session end flag or some race results wouldn't be sent. The game should now always send this final packet.

I am not able to recognise the two last buttons.

[..]
0x2000 Left Stick Click
0x4000 Right Stick Click

Is something wrong with my code?

public static UInt32 m_buttonStatus;

[..] // CAR TELEMETRY PACKET 6
m_buttonStatus = BitConverter.ToUInt32(receiveBytes, 1081);

Who can help?

Thanks.

Hoo said:
1. The driver information would be incorrect for many of the drivers in an online session, e.g. you'd be racing against Bottas but the data was telling you that it was Vettel. As part of this change, the driver ID will be updated for human players to indicate that it is not one of the licensed drivers.
Ok, this was something we have discussed here in the last days. So.. How is it working now?
What IDs i will have to expect to come out from the UDP data?
Human players will continue getting casual IDs exactly as they are doing now (except they do not get "IA-drivers fixed ones")?

Of course i'm talking about online lobbies, and my objective is to map the UDP data drivers to "real" ones.

Sorry if i'm asking more info but i really need to know how it is going to work to align my current working system to the new data the game is going to provide.. :|

Thanks for increasing the DRS legal frequency. Looking forward to trying this out when I'm back from holiday next week.

Great job thanks Codemasters

Hi guys, how can I replicate the steering wheel bar that indicate the deployed energy per lap? 
I have done 2MJ - m_ersDeployedThisLap but does not match.
How can I do?
thank you

Hi guys, how can I replicate the steering wheel bar that indicate the deployed energy per lap? 
I have done 2MJ - m_ersDeployedThisLap but does not match.
How can I do?
thank you
I’ve used 4MJ as the max store size in all the calculations in my Race Dash app and i think it matches OK.