Sign in to follow this  

New Gen and Old Gen consoles.

Im going to be blunt here, Alot of the games I've seen or played recently have been disappointing, I'm not going to name them, you make up your own opinions on them. I've decided that the game developers are unsure on which platform to release their games on, new gen ,old gen or pc? it could be just old gen and new like what destiny did and leave out pc? It could be new gen and pc only? or old gen and pc? Just pc? Or all?

The fact that games are getting released on both Gens is the issue here to my concerns, not enough people are switching over to new Gen quickly enough, that's because games are still being released on old gen. The issue is that most games are max 50% under their potential because of  both old gen and new gen releases, game developers have these big excellent ideas for the new gen but cannot release solely on new gen due to the lower market on new Gen, it dont make business sense to sell to the small market and leave out the big market, does it?

So here lies the true issues, they try to release on both Gens, if they concentrated on only old gen then they fit games to the old gens structure and have less issues, this also applies to new gen if they solely concentrate on that. From what i have noticed that big bits of games and getting cut straight out of the game so it can be accommodated to old gen , could be anywhere from 10-50%, leaving a big mess of code to sort out, leaving bugs everywhere for the old gen and leaving half a game of the new gen and when they think about the PC version of the game, well, I guess it gives them many many headaches.... its just not practical in my opinion to be accommodating 1 game for 3 different platforms, old gen, new gen and pc.

My verdict, sooner more people move over to new gen the better quality of games will come out for all of us, its not our fault for not moving over, its sony's and microsofts fault for rushing out the new gen consoles in "the great console war", the first to get get their consoles out. Both companies learnt last time what happens when one console comes out much earlier than the other, sony learnt the hard way losing out alot by arriving to the party too late but on this occasion both came too soon this time and ruined the games for new consoles, old consoles and pc.

All in all, greed to get the last dying amounts of money from old gen releases is what is killing games at the moment! no old gen = better games for new gen and pc.

What's everyone else's opinion on this matter?

Decision to move to next gen is still causing me issues. I thought a killer combination of PCars and FH2 or PCars and Driveclub would make me do it. But then PCars got delayed, and DriveClub got mixed reviews. The lure of the PC is strong, with AC and all the possible mods on games such as Dirt3. So I still can't make my mind up.

Xbox 1 is looking like it is winning for me on the games front at the moment. FH2 looks better than DriveClub, masterChief collection looks like awesome value (esp since I have never played any Halo) but still there is nothing making me feel that I HAVE to go out now and buy one now.

I don't think you can blame gamesmakers for putting games out on old gen. Its not greed. If people didn't want to buy them, they wouldn't, and the games/gamesmakers would fail. Bringing out games on old gen is catering to a market that doesn't necessarily insist on owning the newest hardware and is quite happy with the older tech. And there are a lot of these people around.

I do think a lot of new games on next gen are disappointing, but I think this is more to do with the fact that the gamesmakers are taking a long time to optimise their code for the new hardware. It's going to take maybe another year at least before I think we start to see some incredible stuff. 

As for the multi platform stuff holding the games potential back, well, a lot of games are starting now to go next gen only. FH2 is effectively a different game on 360 than Xbox. Unity is next gen. As is Pcars. We're still in a transistionary period but it is happening.

dirt3joe said:
Decision to move to next gen is still causing me issues. I thought a killer combination of PCars and FH2 or PCars and Driveclub would make me do it. But then PCars got delayed, and DriveClub got mixed reviews. The lure of the PC is strong, with AC and all the possible mods on games such as Dirt3. So I still can't make my mind up.

Xbox 1 is looking like it is winning for me on the games front at the moment. FH2 looks better than DriveClub, masterChief collection looks like awesome value (esp since I have never played any Halo) but still there is nothing making me feel that I HAVE to go out now and buy one now.

I don't think you can blame gamesmakers for putting games out on old gen. Its not greed. If people didn't want to buy them, they wouldn't, and the games/gamesmakers would fail. Bringing out games on old gen is catering to a market that doesn't necessarily insist on owning the newest hardware and is quite happy with the older tech. And there are a lot of these people around.

I do think a lot of new games on next gen are disappointing, but I think this is more to do with the fact that the gamesmakers are taking a long time to optimise their code for the new hardware. It's going to take maybe another year at least before I think we start to see some incredible stuff. 

As for the multi platform stuff holding the games potential back, well, a lot of games are starting now to go next gen only. FH2 is effectively a different game on 360 than Xbox. Unity is next gen. As is Pcars. We're still in a transistionary period but it is happening.
Yeah I agree I don't think it's as significant a jump as it has been in previous years anyway like the Jump from PS2 to PS3 and the invention of HD gaming the only real significant difference is games companies have more memory to play with now so they can make their games bigger and bolder. I don't think there's a significant jump on the graphics side and other areas. There is improvement as Fifa looks awesome on the XB1 as do the Forza's. The ignite engine that powers Fifa &NHL 15 and Madden loiok amazing on the new consoles so improvements have definitely been made in those areas but not significantly. But it's not as big a jump as we have seen from previous gen's and I think that's partly what's holding it back

I may be too hasty on calling them "greedy" your right lol.

Im just a bit bitter at the moment. haha

SASBlink said:

I think everyone is waiting to see some fantastic stuff on the new consoles.

I share your frustration/bitterness. 

dirt3joe said:
SASBlink said:

I think everyone is waiting to see some fantastic stuff on the new consoles.

I share your frustration/bitterness. 
I think once games like the   Halo Master chief collection pack and Halo 5 and games like the Advanced Warfare COD are out and CM start bringing their racing games to the next gen table things may start to happen as these gsames aer starting to look really good now almost lifelike I could say. 343's remastering of Bungie's original work on Halo's 1 and 2 in the aforementioned pack is looking great and in truth was ultimatetly the  thing that made me decide to make the switch to Xbox this time rather than stay with the Playstation. I think both consoles have a lot going for them but the XB1 for me has the edge at the moment in the areas that I consider in what I want at the moment which is why I chose it. I've never really played shooters on a console before as I normally use the keyboard mouse approach via my PC. With Halo being Xbox only this isn't an option so I thought if there was ever a good time to learn now would be it. I think with my disability it's going to be hard but I'm going to take on the game and try to learn and adapt. I'm playing Halo's 1 and 2 on PC right now so I have got fresh in my mind what I need to do to beat the game so I'm hoping it's a case of transferring that to the Xbox controller somehow.

Personally, I'm just not seeing hardly anything new & compelling on the "next-gen" consoles. It seems like it's all the same stuff as before, just with slightly higher-resolution graphics. I may consider buying a "next-gen" console if they ever make some truly "next-gen" games to play.

It's not up to me as a consumer to "support" console-makers' endeavors by purchasing a console that does not currently offer what I want. Console-makers & game companies will have to first deliver something that I want to buy.

It's silly because game developers won't develop games until enough people buy the consoles, and gamers won't buy them until there's enough games. The great thing about PC is that you decide if you want a game to look better or not, and you can always play your old games. I never understand why consoles don't support that. The first PS3s did but then the stopped it, and some games worked on 360. The differnce is you can make your old games look better on PC :) I do like my X1 and PS4, but they are pretty weak, especially the cpu. When the last gen came out the matched high end PCs, but the new ones are mid range at best. This is going to be the shortest console cycle I think, as other technology will pass them in a few years time.

I haven't touched my PS3 for about 4 months, but i'm on my PS4 almost every day.
From my experience, the gap in some games between last gen and current gen is massive. Fifa is the best example, on PS4 it is incredible!
Infamous is another, compare the original PS3 game to second son.

Hughesy said:
It's silly because game developers won't develop games until enough people buy the consoles, and gamers won't buy them until there's enough games. The great thing about PC is that you decide if you want a game to look better or not, and you can always play your old games. I never understand why consoles don't support that. The first PS3s did but then the stopped it, and some games worked on 360. The differnce is you can make your old games look better on PC :) I do like my X1 and PS4, but they are pretty weak, especially the cpu. When the last gen came out the matched high end PCs, but the new ones are mid range at best. This is going to be the shortest console cycle I think, as other technology will pass them in a few years time.
yeah my consoles tend to be like backup systems to me and by that I mean systems I use when my PC is undergoing maintenance so can't play on it during that time. I still use them when my PC is working but I don't tend to use them as much under those circumstances. Got a feeling though that once this Halo collection is released I'll want to spend time on it though.

Decided to bail on this one and stick with the PS3 for a few more months yet. I want FH2 and Halo on the XB1, but not enough to make the cash investment yet.

Will invest 50 quid on fleabay for Xmas games that I haven't played.

So far got GTAV for a tenner and AC4 for a tenner, so a 30 quid budget left. I also have Uncharted 3 and Deus Ex unplayed sitting on my shelf from fleabay bundle buys.

dirt3joe said:
Decided to bail on this one and stick with the PS3 for a few more months yet. I want FH2 and Halo on the XB1, but not enough to make the cash investment yet.

Will invest 50 quid on fleabay for Xmas games that I haven't played.

So far got GTAV for a tenner and AC4 for a tenner, so a 30 quid budget left. I also have Uncharted 3 and Deus Ex unplayed sitting on my shelf from fleabay bundle buys.
trust me Halo is definitely worth it I'm seriously impressed with the MCC at the moment I've only played Halo 1 on it so far but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.