Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game breaking bug, lagspikes, slowdowns. [PC]

My game started to work without any problems now. At least at China...
@supersnel
Try taking off camera movement in camera settings.
I hope you get your game working better now!
Edit: the lag spikes came back at baku 

Willemq12 said:
@supersnel
Yeah, Ivm also at China and disabled the camera movement as you sugesugge. It didn't really help. Bahrein was quite bad but it seems like that in China it's better. But it's still making the game very annoying.
I really hope they can fix this, because I'm gonna have to ask a refund if they don't.
The worst thing is that I'm also getting it in online. I then lag back, about 100 meters, every time a gamefreeze occurs. 

supersnel said:
Willemq12 said:
@supersnel
Yeah, Ivm also at China and disabled the camera movement as you sugesugge. It didn't really help. Bahrein was quite bad but it seems like that in China it's better. But it's still making the game very annoying.
I really hope they can fix this, because I'm gonna have to ask a refund if they don't.
The worst thing is that I'm also getting it in online. I then lag back, about 100 meters, every time a gamefreeze occurs. 
I won't ask for a refund because i only get these small lag spikes I've been always getting, and they always were fixed in later future so I hope we will see a fix as fast as we did last year

Willemq12 said:
supersnel said:
Willemq12 said:
@supersnel
I won't ask for a refund because i only get these small lag spikes I've been always getting, and they always were fixed in later future so I hope we will see a fix as fast as we did last year
Well, I'll wait until the next patch and see if thetfix it. But it's pretty undrivable. You can't do a consistent lap with this bug.
If you take a look at this: https://youtu.be/h3UkxKfYFKE
You can see why I can't do a normal race.
I also do league races, so that's going to be a big problem.

@supersnel
Yes that looks like a big problem, I trust in CM and i hope @Hoo
 and the team will get the work done

There is a driver update which has just been released an hour ago by Nvidia which is the first since this game was released.

I'm going to try it now but doubt it will make a difference.

Ok that didn't fix it but what has "resolved" it for me is by capping the framerate at 60 FPS. I have had no issues since doing this and I will keep it that way until the next patch.

I am also getting these lag spikes, freezes (also in F1 2017 fully patched)... Some tracks and races are better, sometimes it's undrivable (e.g. a race at Montreal usually has many lag spikes). In Monaco also in Time Trial, just like in Leclerc's hotlap in the official F1 video.

My specs:
Intel i5 4460
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
8GB RAM DDR3

Tried installing the game on HDD, SSD both non-system drive and system drive. Nothing seems to help. CPU usage around ~45-50%, GPU usage ~70-80% with the game capped at 64 FPS using RivaTuner Statistics Server.

SoloWingX said:
I am also getting these lag spikes, freezes (also in F1 2017 fully patched)... Some tracks and races are better, sometimes it's undrivable (e.g. a race at Montreal usually has many lag spikes). In Monaco also in Time Trial, just like in Leclerc's hotlap in the official F1 video.

My specs:
Intel i5 4460
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
8GB RAM DDR3

Tried installing the game on HDD, SSD both non-system drive and system drive. Nothing seems to help. CPU usage around ~45-50%, GPU usage ~70-80% with the game capped at 64 FPS using RivaTuner Statistics Server.

Thank you for the information. It could be really helpful for @hoo and his team. I didn't really catch it in your message, but do you also have the issue on F1 2018?
- Can you upload a DxDiag of your pc? (Info on how to do it is in the first topic of technical assistance.) This could help with diagnosing the issue.
- Try lowering the settings, does it help or not? Try turning on or off TAA and SSRT shadows.
- What programs do you have running in the background than can interfere with the game? Do you have a clue on that?
Reece251 said:
Ok that didn't fix it but what has "resolved" it for me is by capping the framerate at 60 FPS. I have had no issues since doing this and I will keep it that way until the next patch.
I'll try that out. Updating the drivers once again then. Locking it to 60 FPS with vsync didn't work for me, still got the stutter. 
I find that it really depends and sometimes you get it on every corner, but sometimes only once or twice a lap. Like I told earlier, there are these two types of gamefreezes, sometimes just random ones, but sometimes ones that occitwhen there's a higher workload.

supersnel said:
Thank you for the information. It could be really helpful for @hoo and his team. I didn't really catch it in your message, but do you also have the issue on F1 2018?
- Can you upload a DxDiag of your pc? (Info on how to do it is in the first topic of technical assistance.) This could help with diagnosing the issue.
- Try lowering the settings, does it help or not? Try turning on or off TAA and SSRT shadows.
- What programs do you have running in the background than can interfere with the game? Do you have a clue on that?
Yes, with F1 2018 as well, the same kind of lag spikes as with the previous game(s). I have SSRT disabled and going lower than TAA is not an option, TAA already looks... well, not that great. Checkboard looks terrible at 1080p and no AA looks like rFactor. In the background, the usual Steam, Origin, MSI Afterburner, Logitech Gaming Software for the mouse, Plex Media Server. The latter two were not present when I was having the same issue with F1 2017.

DxDiag... https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q2SB12R3HQgKmK49WxpgRD7TP0SYc_8R

I'm having similar lagspikes to those in @supersnel's video. My specs:
Intel Core i5 4590
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
I've also noticed that the slowdowns seem to be more common when driving around lots of AI cars, during collisions, etc making me think the lag spikes are associated with some kind of CPU bottleneck. Hoping for a patch soon!

I get the same as SoloWingX:

My specs:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 v3 @ 3.20GHz
Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
12GB Ram

As far as I understand I meet the recommended system specs.
I can also attach a DXDIAG and a benchmark test if required

SoloWingX said:
supersnel said:
Yes, with F1 2018 as well, the same kind of lag spikes as with the previous game(s). I have SSRT disabled and going lower than TAA is not an option, TAA already looks... well, not that great. Checkboard looks terrible at 1080p and no AA looks like rFactor. In the background, the usual Steam, Origin, MSI Afterburner, Logitech Gaming Software for the mouse, Plex Media Server. The latter two were not present when I was having the same issue with F1 2017.

Yes you're right. I also don't like it when it's below TAA, but you never know.
Hopefully @Hoo sees this and they can find the problem and fix it. 
Thank you for the information, it helps a lot when diagnosing the problem, and hopefully they can tie this all together to find solution.

Intel Core i5 4590
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
I've also noticed that the slowdowns seem to be more common when driving around lots of AI cars, during collisions, etc making me think the lag spikes are associated with some kind of CPU bottleneck. Hoping for a patch soon!
Yep, you're right. I've also noticed that. That's the lagspikes I mean with "higher workloads". But then again, I don't have it always when there's a higher workload, but it's more common with higher workloads.
I've looked at CPU bottlenecking, but it didn't seem to cause the lagspikes as you can see here: https://youtu.be/p4IiMs1S6Ns 
I'm also hoping for a patch soon.
Thanks for the information!
Reece251 said:

My specs:
Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
12GB Ram

With that rig, running the game should be no problem whatsoever. Normally, everything should run fine. So I think we can definitely say now, that this bug has nothing to do with low specs and nothing with AMD processors. 
Thanks for the information and you may provide that information if you have time for it. It could possibly help with resolving the issue.

I am not a CM employee, but I am simply guiding this problem so @hoo can resolve this as quickly as possible. If you know anyone who also has this problem, please guide them to here so we can bundle the information to one nice topic.

Hello, i'm having lag spykes/stuttering problems also, all of them in racing moments. EXACTLY like @supersnel video posted above. 

I'm just racing and then, out of nowhere the game freezes for like 0.2 second (i'm not exact here) and then comes back, sometimes i hear the sound being messed in that short period, when it comes back, sometimes not. My wheel goes crazy for a second too and a lot of times i lost control of the car... It's really annoying. I tried already turning on and off Vsync, tried all options related to that sound option... low for 60fps or less, etc... 

I'm running at 2560x1080 144hz, and the game runs like 100-120 fps all the time, except when i get a sttutering.... My system is a I7 4790k, 16gb ram and a Gtx 1080. 

Thanks! 

Guilhermao said: 
Hello, i'm having lag spykes/stuttering problems also, all of them in racing moments. EXACTLY like @supersnel video posted above. 

I'm just racing and then, out of nowhere the game freezes for like 0.2 second (i'm not exact here) and then comes back, sometimes i hear the sound being messed in that short period, when it comes back, sometimes not. My wheel goes crazy for a second too and a lot of times i lost control of the car... It's really annoying. I tried already turning on and off Vsync, tried all options related to that sound option... low for 60fps or less, etc... 

I'm running at 2560x1080 144hz, and the game runs like 100-120 fps all the time, except when i get a sttutering.... My system is a I7 4790k, 16gb ram and a Gtx 1080. 

Thanks! 
Yep seems like the same issue. Good point you're mentioning the wheel. I actually have the same thing happened to me with the force feedback just freezing up. Sometimes  I also loose the car. With this information the guys over at CM sure can do something hopefully.

@hoo @DriverNumber22
I'm sure you're following this topic so please tell us as soon as you can if there's any chance this problem will be fixed. I know you guys are hard at work on fixing other bugs but some feeback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all on this topic for keeping this an active one and giving all the information you can. 

HI all. Thanks for all the extra info being added. We are still trying to piece the information together and reproduce the issues internally. We don't have any fixes yet, but are continuing to investigate.

supersnel said:
SoloWingX said:
supersnel said:

Yes you're right. I also don't like it when it's below TAA, but you never know.
Hopefully @Hoo sees this and they can find the problem and fix it. 
Thank you for the information, it helps a lot when diagnosing the problem, and hopefully they can tie this all together to find solution.

Intel Core i5 4590
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
Yep, you're right. I've also noticed that. That's the lagspikes I mean with "higher workloads". But then again, I don't have it always when there's a higher workload, but it's more common with higher workloads.
I've looked at CPU bottlenecking, but it didn't seem to cause the lagspikes as you can see here: https://youtu.be/p4IiMs1S6Ns 
I'm also hoping for a patch soon.
Thanks for the information!
Reece251 said:

My specs:
Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
12GB Ram

With that rig, running the game should be no problem whatsoever. Normally, everything should run fine. So I think we can definitely say now, that this bug has nothing to do with low specs and nothing with AMD processors. 
Thanks for the information and you may provide that information if you have time for it. It could possibly help with resolving the issue.

I am not a CM employee, but I am simply guiding this problem so @hoo can resolve this as quickly as possible. If you know anyone who also has this problem, please guide them to here so we can bundle the information to one nice topic.
I'm basically experiencing exactly what's depicted in this video. Mine might not be quite as severe but the effect is the same, small micro stutters that really throw off your handling. 

I have a question to the guys having the issue, maybe it's not important but i think "does not cost to ask"... Any of you guys have a wi-fi adapter connected to the PC? I have one of these https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5519_TL-WN881ND.html

I'm not even using it anymore, i'm with cable directly into the lan port now, but it's in the PC... and i dont know, i THINK once i had a similar issue in a game or two, even maybe a CM game, because i play a lot of it for a long time now, hehehehe. Anyway, it was something related to this little wifi card, but there was a workaround (cant remember it:neutral:), anyway, i'm trying everything here, tomorrow i'll try to take out of my PC and see if the game gets better.  

EDIT: Some other information... It does not make a lot of sense but anyway, first time i was having the stutterings i tried to fix disabling steam overlay, i did and it worked, at least for that play session (yesterday), but today when i tried to play it again, steam overlay still disable but the stuttering was there. Just saying to give the largest amount of information possible. 

I'm uploading my DXDIAG just in case... 

Maybe you guys suffering from this problem can maybe try see if changing your game from fullscreen mode to windowed (fullscreen) mode in settings helps with the issue?

It's seemingly helped improve the situation for people suffering with what appears to be poor frame latency causing judder and generally unsmooth looking gameplay, especially online, in another thread. Would be interesting to see if the problems are linked in any way.

nah mate, i play on windowed fullscreen to alt-tab easier and the stuttering still occurs.

I have a question to the guys having the issue, maybe it's not important but i think "does not cost to ask"... Any of you guys have a wi-fi adapter connected to the PC? I have one of these https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5519_TL-WN881ND.html

I'm not even using it anymore, i'm with cable directly into the lan port now, but it's in the PC... and i dont know, i THINK once i had a similar issue in a game or two, even maybe a CM game, because i play a lot of it for a long time now, hehehehe. Anyway, it was something related to this little wifi card, but there was a workaround (cant remember it:neutral:), anyway, i'm trying everything here, tomorrow i'll try to take out of my PC and see if the game gets better.  

EDIT: Some other information... It does not make a lot of sense but anyway, first time i was having the stutterings i tried to fix disabling steam overlay, i did and it worked, at least for that play session (yesterday), but today when i tried to play it again, steam overlay still disable but the stuttering was there. Just saying to give the largest amount of information possible. 
Yeah, the stuttering is pretty inconsistent at times. Sometimes it's worse sometimes it's better. I do not have a WiFi adapter connected to my PC. 
Maybe another question that came to my mind: are you guys using an overclock on your CPU of some sort?
I've already tested GPU overclocking but that doesn't matter. The games still stutters massively even with my GPU OC disabled.
If anyone could confirm they're running at stock settings with their CPU, then we could rule that out.
Disabling the steam overlay doesn't seem to do a whole lot in my case.
NightFire said:
Maybe you guys suffering from this problem can maybe try see if changing your game from fullscreen mode to windowed (fullscreen) mode in settings helps with the issue?

It's seemingly helped improve the situation for people suffering with what appears to be poor frame latency causing judder and generally unsmooth looking gameplay, especially online, in another thread. Would be interesting to see if the problems are linked in any way.
Yeah, we tried that already. It doesn't make a difference. I already tried running the game on all different settings, disabling and lowering each option in advanced video settings one by one, but I couldn't come up with a clear answer.

We greatly appreciate you're looking into it @hoo, if there's any information you need, we're here to provide it to you.

Have a nice day everyone.

I run stock CPU and GPU so OC can be ruled out.

I searched the internet for the same issue in previous games, one potential solution (that doesn't work in F1 2018) is making the almost 2GB replay.pbf read-only in ...\AppData\Local\Temp\Codemasters\...\replay\ replay.pbf. In the case of making this file read-only the game doesn't start at all. If it's the real culprit, I don't know, but I will try to report everything I can find.

F1 2018 is a HUGE step up for sim racers, it would be a shame if such a stupid problem would take away from the experience...

I did run MSI Afterburner to check usage of CPU and GPU, my issue is CPU usage which is 70% - 100% all the time, but the interesting fact is the 1 core being at 60% of usage. Is there anything I can do to lower the usage?

Getting exactly the same slowdowns as shown in the youtube videos posted here. Also when these happen my steering wheel goes completely numb for duration of the slowdown/freeze/stutter.

Lowering or upping graphic settings doesnt make difference.
No help of disabling steam overlay
Tried with several versions of graphic drivers, no help
Only usb devices are mouse(Razer deathadder chroma), keyboard(Ducky shine 4) and steering wheel(Thrustmaster T300)

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Using stock or overclock doesnt make difference