Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game breaking bug, lagspikes, slowdowns. [PC]

Hey there,
I have massive stuttering on my laptop, since F1 2017.

Now I have made a short vid to show my problem...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-OLjch5DW8&feature=youtu.be

Hardware specs:
MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro Laptop
Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M 3 GB GDDR5
8 GB DDR4 RAM
250GB SSD M2
Windows 10 64 bit

I have tried many things:
all drivers updated (GPU, Audio)
deactivated hyperthreading
set VSync on (helped a bit)
reinstalled the game
set graphic quality to low/medium

But now I have no further ideas to solve this problem.

On my desktop machine the game runs without any problems... (Intel Core i5 3570K, GTX 1060, 8 GB DDR3 RAM).

Hi All,

I've tried to record a video on my machine of a lap where I got some stuttering but strangely when I watched the video back I couldn't see any of the stutters which was odd and i'm not sure what that means. If anyone wants to see the video then let me know but I cannot see the stutters I experienced in game.

Guess theres nothing we can do at this point, but i would like to add that I found the game runs a lot better without texture streaming; giving me more fps.

If CM can see how the texture streaming affects the game and/or figures out how to stop the game from stuttering at 100% gpu load then problem solved.

Just adding in my thoughts from digging around steam threads.

ECGT28 said:
Guess theres nothing we can do at this point, but i would like to add that I found the game runs a lot better without texture streaming; giving me more fps.

If CM can see how the texture streaming affects the game and/or figures out how to stop the game from stuttering at 100% gpu load then problem solved.

Just adding in my thoughts from digging around steam threads.
Yep, although it's not only down to the GPU performance. At ultra low settings, even at a lower resolution, I still have the stutter. Disabling Texture Streaming helps a little bit but I still get massive spikes. Bahrain is the worst track for this. 
It's really difficult to predict when it's going to occur. Practice and qualy are mostly still impossible and online races too. In big races, I still get it, although a little bit less. I don't know if this disabling Texture Streaming is doing a lot honestly. I run with it all the time now, but it still seems to be a big issue. 
I have also tried doing long races with Texture Streaming and I also got way less stutter then in an online race.

@Hoo
Dear Codies,

I really hope you are still looking into this, because it's a serious issue. We payed for this and now we can't play it. I'm always positive, but when we get such a low rate of response from then, well that tells us enough. They don't care.
I truly hope they do though and I want to see a patch where this certainly fixes it. They have to let us test it for sure to see if it improves, but at the moment, they seem to be doing nothing and we can't really test anything anymore.
Look, if after two weeks of release this isn't fixed, I want to claim a refund or want a copy for another console. If the game isn't readyw, just don't release it.

Look Codemasters, do the right thing and be as active as we are. We need to test, test, test until it works. If this was my company, this would be the way of working. We want to test for you guys, so give us something. If I have to, I'll look into the code myself with the knowledge I have. But I doubt that's gonna make a difference. 

CM, texture streaming doesn't really seem to be the problem. I'm still getting massive spikes in some scenarios. Move on. I know there's a lot that has to be fixed, but this should be a priority. It's affecting a whole lot of people's way of how they think about you. CM can't make a working game. I don't care so much about the other issues, let's fix this now. Or at least give us an update on the progress. Like "we're now looking at other things" or "we're looking into it at the moment". A status update would be helpful too.

Sincerely,
A very patiently waiting, loyal player of your games.

Reece251 said:
Hi All,

I've tried to record a video on my machine of a lap where I got some stuttering but strangely when I watched the video back I couldn't see any of the stutters which was odd and i'm not sure what that means. If anyone wants to see the video then let me know but I cannot see the stutters I experienced in game.
That's very odd. What video capturing software were you using?

Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-IoAC_jho
Bahrain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zLcBu626D4
China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkN6WPeLi7s
Lagspikes are timestamped in the description of the videos.

I'll be doing 2 more today and uploading them tonight. Then I'm gonna be recording online races. I got lagspikes in F1 2017 online so I wonder what F1 2018  online will be like for me.

And if F1 2018 isn't fixed by the time leagues start up again I'm going to request a refund.

Working as a software developer, I have to defend them somewhat, trying to troubleshoot an issue without any tangible starting points is one of the hardest things in supporting a software. I understand they are having an extremely hard time with this, as there seems to be no common point between the system of the people experiencing it, so this is one hell of an issue to figure out.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you guys didn't give enough info, you gave all the info you could. I encounter similar situations in my job sometimes (eg. when people can only say "the system is slow" because that's all they see) and it's really a pain in the youknowwhere.
However, I have to agree with you on the communication. When we get a question from a user about where we're standing currently with an issue, we always reply something, even if we can't say anything concrete. That just reassures them that their issue is not forgotten and being worked on.

Working as a software developer, I have to defend them somewhat, trying to troubleshoot an issue without any tangible starting points is one of the hardest things in supporting a software. I understand they are having an extremely hard time with this, as there seems to be no common point between the system of the people experiencing it, so this is one hell of an issue to figure out.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you guys didn't give enough info, you gave all the info you could. I encounter similar situations in my job sometimes (eg. when people can only say "the system is slow" because that's all they see) and it's really a pain in the youknowwhere.
However, I have to agree with you on the communication. When we get a question from a user about where we're standing currently with an issue, we always reply something, even if we can't say anything concrete. That just reassures them that their issue is not forgotten and being worked on.
Yes, I definitely agree with you. I'm not a software developer, but I work in the industry as an engineer. I often have to find solutions to different kinds of problems. And it's definitely true that people just say, "there's a problem, fix it!". I then gather as much data as possible and do the necessary measurements. I then try to examine the problem and fix it as quickly as possible. Our company is mainly b2b focused so having a solution on time is a priority. B2c is quite a bit different, I agree, but giving an update on where you are is really helpful in any scenario.

I can also see that CM are really buzzy at the moment, but they should be prepared for this, as they knew what kind of a joke they were going to release. I often get very very annoyed when I lag back AGAIN in online racing because of the bug.

I try to help them as much as I can, but they're not really responding.

Well, thanks for your little message there!

Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-IoAC_jho
Bahrain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zLcBu626D4
China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkN6WPeLi7s

I'll be doing 2 more today and uploading them tonight. Then I'm gonna be recording online races. I got lagspikes in F1 2017 online so I wonder what F1 2018  online will be like for me.

And if F1 2018 isn't fixed by the time leagues start up again I'm going to request a refund.
Thanks for the videos. Yeah, online is horrendous with this bug. You get lagged back, because your car is stuck a place. You lose so much time, positions, control of the car, ...
And I can definitely confirm that the lagspikes, or whatever you want to call them, are exactly the same for me.

Baku: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdambF600gI

Spain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObR9AJum8hg

Spain was almost undriveable, because along with the big lapspikes there were lots of little ones that aren't really showing up in the recording for some reason.
Spain is also more in line with what my f1 2017 experience was.

supersnel said:
Reece251 said:
Hi All,

I'm using Nvidia Shadowplay. I just took part in an invitational event and had the worst freezing i've had before but when I look back at the recording there was nothing.... What could it be?

Reece251 said:
supersnel said:
Reece251 said:
Hi All,

I'm using Nvidia Shadowplay. I just took part in an invitational event and had the worst freezing i've had before but when I look back at the recording there was nothing.... What could it be?
Yes, that is indeed very strange. I also use the Nvidia software to record my gameplay. Maybe the stutters are only slight micro-stutters. Or maybe it's another type of bug altogether. Definitely keep trying.

supersnel said:
Reece251 said:
supersnel said:
Reece251 said:
Hi All,

Yes, that is indeed very strange. I also use the Nvidia software to record my gameplay. Maybe the stutters are only slight micro-stutters. Or maybe it's another type of bug altogether. Definitely keep trying.
It was really really bad stuttering that lasted 5 seconds at a time which I've not seen before. The video really shows nothing not even the micro stutters let alone the 5 second freeze. 

Looking in the steam discussions i found this:
1. Turn on the game
2. Open Windows game bar (Windows button + G)
3. Make sure Game Mode is enabled for this game. 
4. Restart the game and play.
Not concrete, havent tried but i know my game bar crap is disabled because i thought that was a solution...

BTW Im hoping that they are able to replicate the issue on their end, because after that THEN they can start solving it. Biding our time here boys...

I get the exact same lagging in OFFLINE mode...sometimes longer...its a pain in the ass especially when it happens mid corner!!
Yeah, we're getting it in offline too. I know it's very annoying but I currently still have faith in CM that they will be able to fix it.
Next patch hopefully. All we can do now is wait.

I turned down graphics to medium and the sound refresh thing in advanced sound options to low and now I don't get the little freezes anymore, try if it works for you. I don't know what's the deal with optimization there.

Bustah said:
I turned down graphics to medium and the sound refresh thing in advanced sound options to low and now I don't get the little freezes anymore, try if it works for you. I don't know what's the deal with optimization there.
my audio update rate is stuck on low, cant change it. still getting stutters

Bustah said:
No, that doesn't help. My audio refresh rate is stuck on low and as I said multiple times before, turning down graphics doesn't resolve anything. I even tried lowering the resolution but that doesn't make a difference.

I had this problem at the beginning which I also had in 2017. Massive lag spikes causing dreadful gameplay.

I have NVidia GPU and AMD CPU, which has been quoted quite a lot in this thread. I use Windows 10, and I sourced my issues down to extremely heavy hard disc usage.

And so I disabled the following services:

Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility 
SuperFetch
Windows Search

I also then choose my own virtual memory settings, for 24GB of ram the calculation is:

Initial size: 3965
Max size: 36864

For help in disabling Windows services check this link and remember also to disable the "Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility" services as well as SuperFetch and Windows search.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/100-disk-usage-windows-10.html 

And for Virtual memory check this link, as it tells you how to calculate it:

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory.aspx

Good luck and hope this helps someone. 

Yea update, it didn't fix it, might have gotten slighty less lag but I can't confidently even say that. Codemasters just needs to find the problem and push a fix.

GTX 1060 6GB, AMD FX-6300, 8GB 1600mhz Kingston HyperX RAM, ASUS M5A97 Motherboard

Hey guys,

I've been struggling with the same issues that we can see in the youtube videos, and like most of us I've tried all the different suggestions here at some point in time or another.

Now I've managed to fix it for me by essentially disabling replays, by changing the replay file to read only. I'm not sure if this will fix it for you all either, or if you guys like having the replay function. Personally I've never used the replay function, and if it's a choice between having replays or being able to race without any stutter along with a settings bump from low to ultra high then I'll take the no stutter and better settings :)

So if you fancy trying this fix out for yourselves, what you need to do is locate the replay file here: "C:\Users\"YOUR_USERNAME_HERE"\AppData\Local\Temp\Codemasters\F1\replay\replay.pbf" and set that .pbf file to read only.

I've done 5 25% races across all the tracks that used to cause me a lot of stutter (france, germany, monaco, china). I tested france twice as it was the worst offender for me, and so far not a single bit of stutter besides maybe a frame drop because to stress test I bumped all the graphical settings up to max,  however it lasts literally 1 or 2 frames, and there's no effect on ability to drive!

My system specs are: 7700HQ, GTX 1070(notebook), 16GB of 2400mHz RAM, a 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

F1 2018 resides on my SSD, and I think the combined read and write for all the textures along with saving to the SSD for the replay is what was causing my stutter and making some tracks impossible to drive without flashbacks, as well as making online racing essentially impossible.

If the above fix works for you guys let me know, and I can post it to the steam discussion threads as well.

Really hope this works for you guys, like I mentioned above I went from lowest settings with texture streaming completely turned off and still getting 1-2 stutters per lap on average, to max settings (including texture streaming) and 0 stutters so far across the 5 25% races.

I'll keep you guys updated if the stutter returns, but fingers crossed this lasts, and maybe this will help @Hoo diagnose the issue and hopefully get a patch out or at least give us an idea why replays are causing this issue, if it turns out that is the universal cause for you all.

Drive safe and fast o7
-Waldo

Update: So I just ran France again at 25% race distance, and I got a few stutters (weather was full on heavy rain, so maybe the added graphical needs for the rain and its associated effects proved too much for my gpu,  but only 2 for the entire race, and neither required a flashback due to lost pace. After the second one I turned down my settings to medium and had no issue after that.

Hey guys,

I've been struggling with the same issues that we can see in the youtube videos, and like most of us I've tried all the different suggestions here at some point in time or another.

Now I've managed to fix it for me by essentially disabling replays, by changing the replay file to read only. I'm not sure if this will fix it for you all either, or if you guys like having the replay function. Personally I've never used the replay function, and if it's a choice between having replays or being able to race without any stutter along with a settings bump from low to ultra high then I'll take the no stutter and better settings :)

So if you fancy trying this fix out for yourselves, what you need to do is locate the replay file here: "C:\Users\"YOUR_USERNAME_HERE"\AppData\Local\Temp\Codemasters\F1\replay\replay.pbf" and set that .pbf file to read only.

I've done 5 25% races across all the tracks that used to cause me a lot of stutter (france, germany, monaco, china). I tested france twice as it was the worst offender for me, and so far not a single bit of stutter besides maybe a frame drop because to stress test I bumped all the graphical settings up to max,  however it lasts literally 1 or 2 frames, and there's no effect on ability to drive!

My system specs are: 7700HQ, GTX 1070(notebook), 16GB of 2400mHz RAM, a 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

F1 2018 resides on my SSD, and I think the combined read and write for all the textures along with saving to the SSD for the replay is what was causing my stutter and making some tracks impossible to drive without flashbacks, as well as making online racing essentially impossible.

If the above fix works for you guys let me know, and I can post it to the steam discussion threads as well.

Really hope this works for you guys, like I mentioned above I went from lowest settings with texture streaming completely turned off and still getting 1-2 stutters per lap on average, to max settings (including texture streaming) and 0 stutters so far across the 5 25% races.

I'll keep you guys updated if the stutter returns, but fingers crossed this lasts, and maybe this will help @Hoo diagnose the issue and hopefully get a patch out or at least give us an idea why replays are causing this issue, if it turns out that is the universal cause for you all.

Drive safe and fast o7
-Waldo

Update: So I just ran France again at 25% race distance, and I got a few stutters (weather was full on heavy rain, so maybe the added graphical needs for the rain and its associated effects proved too much for my gpu,  but only 2 for the entire race, and neither required a flashback due to lost pace. After the second one I turned down my settings to medium and had no issue after that.
I'll definitely try it out, but what I find interesting, is that I also get them in online, where there are no replays.
Nonetheless I'll give it a shot and see if it works. If CM isn't fixing it, we can better try to just try out different thing, albeit with making complete shots in the dark.
I really hope it works, but I've tried so many things right now, that I'm not that excited anymore if I see a possible solution. If it does work, well then you're the hero of this whole topic. I won't get my hopes up though. I saw your update and I'll try it out somewhere later tomorrow.

cahax0r said:
I had this problem at the beginning which I also had in 2017. Massive lag spikes causing dreadful gameplay.

I have NVidia GPU and AMD CPU, which has been quoted quite a lot in this thread. I use Windows 10, and I sourced my issues down to extremely heavy hard disc usage.

SuperFetch
Windows Search

I also then choose my own virtual memory settings, for 24GB of ram the calculation is:

For help in disabling Windows services check this link and remember also to disable the "Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility" services as well as SuperFetch and Windows search.

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory.aspx

I have looked into many of these solutions already, but I haven't tried the memory one yet. I am familiar with that fix though, as I used on another system for another reason.

cahax0r said:

SuperFetch
Windows Search

I think that's a bit extreme, i like superfetch and windows search so im gonna keep those. I will try the virtual memory but i dont think it will eliminate the stutters. 

I want to warn everyone that making that file read only will prevent you from starting the game, so if you want to do it, do it after you started it.