Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game breaking bug, lagspikes, slowdowns. [PC]

Bustah said:
I want to warn everyone that making that file read only will prevent you from starting the game, so if you want to do it, do it after you started it.
I was just about to post that warning, just discovered it myself haha ::smile:

But an update, while the stutters have gotten better, it seems I hit a fluke in the planets aligning because they're back again. this time the read only trick didn't seem to work, so guess it's time to try the memory trick and see if that helps.

I made it read-only after i started, I still can use the replay function with flashback, stutters present too. I dont know how to make it fully read-only and start the game at the same time.

Bustah said:
Yep, it doesn't work. Just tried it online, had quite a few lags through Singapore.
It has definitely improved my career racing, the stutters while still annoying as all get up, they're not as bad as they were. 

I'm now trying to see if underclocking my GPU helps, because according to gpu-z logs im occasionally hitting my max power output so i'm wondering if that is causing some issues.

Hey guys,

I've been struggling with the same issues that we can see in the youtube videos, and like most of us I've tried all the different suggestions here at some point in time or another.

Now I've managed to fix it for me by essentially disabling replays, by changing the replay file to read only. I'm not sure if this will fix it for you all either, or if you guys like having the replay function. Personally I've never used the replay function, and if it's a choice between having replays or being able to race without any stutter along with a settings bump from low to ultra high then I'll take the no stutter and better settings :)

So if you fancy trying this fix out for yourselves, what you need to do is locate the replay file here: "C:\Users\"YOUR_USERNAME_HERE"\AppData\Local\Temp\Codemasters\F1\replay\replay.pbf" and set that .pbf file to read only.

I've done 5 25% races across all the tracks that used to cause me a lot of stutter (france, germany, monaco, china). I tested france twice as it was the worst offender for me, and so far not a single bit of stutter besides maybe a frame drop because to stress test I bumped all the graphical settings up to max,  however it lasts literally 1 or 2 frames, and there's no effect on ability to drive!

My system specs are: 7700HQ, GTX 1070(notebook), 16GB of 2400mHz RAM, a 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

F1 2018 resides on my SSD, and I think the combined read and write for all the textures along with saving to the SSD for the replay is what was causing my stutter and making some tracks impossible to drive without flashbacks, as well as making online racing essentially impossible.

If the above fix works for you guys let me know, and I can post it to the steam discussion threads as well.

Really hope this works for you guys, like I mentioned above I went from lowest settings with texture streaming completely turned off and still getting 1-2 stutters per lap on average, to max settings (including texture streaming) and 0 stutters so far across the 5 25% races.

I'll keep you guys updated if the stutter returns, but fingers crossed this lasts, and maybe this will help @Hoo diagnose the issue and hopefully get a patch out or at least give us an idea why replays are causing this issue, if it turns out that is the universal cause for you all.

Drive safe and fast o7
-Waldo

Update: So I just ran France again at 25% race distance, and I got a few stutters (weather was full on heavy rain, so maybe the added graphical needs for the rain and its associated effects proved too much for my gpu,  but only 2 for the entire race, and neither required a flashback due to lost pace. After the second one I turned down my settings to medium and had no issue after that.
Ive looked everywhere for the 'Codemasters\F1\replay\replay.pbf' directory and cant find it on either of my drives? i even searched both with *.pbf and nothing??

monjue said:
Hey guys,

I've been struggling with the same issues that we can see in the youtube videos, and like most of us I've tried all the different suggestions here at some point in time or another.

Now I've managed to fix it for me by essentially disabling replays, by changing the replay file to read only. I'm not sure if this will fix it for you all either, or if you guys like having the replay function. Personally I've never used the replay function, and if it's a choice between having replays or being able to race without any stutter along with a settings bump from low to ultra high then I'll take the no stutter and better settings :)

So if you fancy trying this fix out for yourselves, what you need to do is locate the replay file here: "C:\Users\"YOUR_USERNAME_HERE"\AppData\Local\Temp\Codemasters\F1\replay\replay.pbf" and set that .pbf file to read only.

I've done 5 25% races across all the tracks that used to cause me a lot of stutter (france, germany, monaco, china). I tested france twice as it was the worst offender for me, and so far not a single bit of stutter besides maybe a frame drop because to stress test I bumped all the graphical settings up to max,  however it lasts literally 1 or 2 frames, and there's no effect on ability to drive!

My system specs are: 7700HQ, GTX 1070(notebook), 16GB of 2400mHz RAM, a 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

F1 2018 resides on my SSD, and I think the combined read and write for all the textures along with saving to the SSD for the replay is what was causing my stutter and making some tracks impossible to drive without flashbacks, as well as making online racing essentially impossible.

If the above fix works for you guys let me know, and I can post it to the steam discussion threads as well.

Really hope this works for you guys, like I mentioned above I went from lowest settings with texture streaming completely turned off and still getting 1-2 stutters per lap on average, to max settings (including texture streaming) and 0 stutters so far across the 5 25% races.

I'll keep you guys updated if the stutter returns, but fingers crossed this lasts, and maybe this will help @Hoo diagnose the issue and hopefully get a patch out or at least give us an idea why replays are causing this issue, if it turns out that is the universal cause for you all.

Drive safe and fast o7
-Waldo

Update: So I just ran France again at 25% race distance, and I got a few stutters (weather was full on heavy rain, so maybe the added graphical needs for the rain and its associated effects proved too much for my gpu,  but only 2 for the entire race, and neither required a flashback due to lost pace. After the second one I turned down my settings to medium and had no issue after that.
Ive looked everywhere for the 'Codemasters\F1\replay\replay.pbf' directory and cant find it on either of my drives? i even searched both with *.pbf and nothing??
It's in a hidden folder "AppData", maybe that's the issue? Check your view settings in windows explorer to see if you have enabled viewing hidden files.

monjue said:
Hey guys,

Drive safe and fast o7
-Waldo

It's in a hidden folder "AppData", maybe that's the issue? Check your view settings in windows explorer to see if you have enabled viewing hidden files.
i can see the appdata folder no problem after showing hidden folders, but the is no codemasters folder in there?

ECGT28 said:
cahax0r said:
I had this problem at the beginning which I also had in 2017. Massive lag spikes causing dreadful gameplay.

I have NVidia GPU and AMD CPU, which has been quoted quite a lot in this thread. I use Windows 10, and I sourced my issues down to extremely heavy hard disc usage.

And so I disabled the following services:

Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility 
SuperFetch
Windows Search

I also then choose my own virtual memory settings, for 24GB of ram the calculation is:

Initial size: 3965
Max size: 36864

For help in disabling Windows services check this link and remember also to disable the "Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility" services as well as SuperFetch and Windows search.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/100-disk-usage-windows-10.html 

And for Virtual memory check this link, as it tells you how to calculate it:

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory.aspx

Good luck and hope this helps someone. 
I think that's a bit extreme, i like superfetch and windows search so im gonna keep those. I will try the virtual memory but i dont think it will eliminate the stutters. 
If you use those features then fair enough, it was just a suggestion that worked for me as for example I hate window to search and use "Everything" instead to catalogue my files. Lots of bloat in Windows 10, if my favourite games all run on Linux I'd happily walk away from Shitsoft. Codies need to fix this asap,

cahax0r said:
That dir is for F1 2017
2018 C:\Users\npd\AppData\Local\Temp\Codemasters\F1\replay
how is this dir different to what the other guy said?

monjue said:
cahax0r said:
That dir is for F1 2017
It isn't, except I put a "YOUR_USERNAME_HERE" in mine so that people knew to look for their username. 

monjue said:
monjue said:
Hey guys,

Drive safe and fast o7
-Waldo

i can see the appdata folder no problem after showing hidden folders, but the is no codemasters folder in there?
Find the local folder then the temp folder, then codemasters folder then F1 folder. So there won't be a codemasters folder in the AppData folder.

monjue said:
cahax0r said:
That dir is for F1 2017
It isn't, except I put a "YOUR_USERNAME_HERE" in mine so that people knew to look for their username. 
Yes i agree.. so why would he say its wrong?... strange?

monjue said:
monjue said:
Hey guys,

Drive safe and fast o7
-Waldo

Find the local folder then the temp folder, then codemasters folder then F1 folder. So there won't be a codemasters folder in the AppData folder.
As you can see.. its not there?
https://imgur.com/KHmmumP

monjue said:
monjue said:
monjue said:
Hey guys,

Drive safe and fast o7
-Waldo

Is your F1 2018 installed on C:\ or D : \? I'm not sure if it moves to D : \ if that's where it's installed?

monjue said:
monjue said:
monjue said:
Hey guys,

Drive safe and fast o7
-Waldo

Is your F1 2018 installed on C:\ or D : \? I'm not sure if it moves to D : \ if that's where it's installed?
installed to D. but i dont see any replay folder there either.. honestly i search both C and D and i see nothing. Maybe i have to save a replay first for it to appear?

Apologies for the silence on this issue. We are still trying to work through it, but there is a lot of information being presented (which is great), but unfortunately few clear patterns emerging. The suspicion is that we are looking at a few different issues here which is clouding our view on what is happening. As such, we will be picking through this thread over the next couple of days and will separate out the comments into specific threads about the different issues that are being discussed. In the meantime, here's a summary of a few things to try if you've not already done so:
  • Describe the specific issue that you are having . E.g. if you are seeing a lag/frame spike then where does it happen, how bad is the stall and how often does this happen? If it is a slowdown, then what is this triggered by, does it ever return to normal, what is the change in frame rate? Etc.
  • Please check whether you have also tried running the game with all performance profilers and video capture software disabled as these have been known to impact on the frame rate.
  • Post your key system specs into the thread along with basic in-game gfx settings. Alternatively, send us your dxdiag and hardware settings files using the instructions here: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/132514/f1-games-technical-assistance-bug-reports-please-read-before-posting
I'm sure you've already done this, but just to cover the basics:
  • Check whether your system specs are above our minimum requirements. See here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/737800/F1_2018/ 
  • Check that all of your key hardware drivers are up to date.

Hello,
issue solved here. I don't know if it was today's patch or what i did, because i launched the game after both patching and doing as follow:
OS: Windows 10, AMD GPU with drivers already updated to the latest.
basically, i deactivated Win10 GameDVR that is know to cause fps issues in some games, so:

- open Regedit as Administrator
- open HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- open System
- select GameConfigStore
- edit "GameDVR_Enabled" value to 0
- open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- open SOFTWARE
- open Microsoft
- open PolicyManager
- open default
- open ApplicationManagement
- select AllowGameDVR
- edit "value" value to 0
- close & reboot pc

maybe it was the patch, but i leave it here just in case.
already played 3 career races without problems, high graphic settings.

Just want to say the patch did not solve it (I guess it didn't mean to either).

@Hoo I think the videos the others posted speak for themselves. The frames return to normal, during the freeze the sound skips or freezes and the FFB "turns off"... terrible when it happens during a battle or a corner. I'd say sometimes it feels random, but more or less probable on certain parts of the tracks. Higher probability when "car parts fly" in a contact from what I experienced.

Patch did not work for me either... and i have a new problem. Half way through first race lap of Monaco my sound started to crackle for a moment and now the sound is a second behind the control inputs and animations.

I have the same isue I'll form 60-75 fps to 10-15 in a  matter of seconds. I have I7 8700K and GTX 1070 so I don't think its a hardware issue, problably a bug

Yup, same issue with me here. Always getting lag spikes especially crossing the lap line or near it. Changing settings obviously doesn't help. Damn it CM please help us I want to play so bad!