Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game breaking bug, lagspikes, slowdowns. [PC]

We've been working through all of the posts and feeding back info to the team. We have some additional fixes coming through shortly which hopefully fixes some of the issues, but it is unlikely that it will fix all issues being reported as there were very few clear patterns for us to work with. I'll do an update in the next day or two, probably creating a new thread about this. 

In the meantime, if anyone who is still experiencing this problem lives near Leamington Spa then I'll happily arrange for them (and their PC) to visit our offices for the day! :)

Thanks for the update :) I understand how difficult it is with a few different issues all leading to the same result.

I would be happy to visit the offices however i use a cloud gaming PC (www.shadow.tech/gben) so it's probably not the best test to use as it's not a local gaming PC but I would be happy to help where I can if a visit to the office is feasible. Pm me if needed :)

Edit: not sure if I need to tag you for you to be able to see this @Hoo

Reece251 said:
supersnel said:
Reece251 said:
supersnel said:
Reece251 said:
Hi All,

I've tried to record a video on my machine of a lap where I got some stuttering but strangely when I watched the video back I couldn't see any of the stutters which was odd and i'm not sure what that means. If anyone wants to see the video then let me know but I cannot see the stutters I experienced in game.
That's very odd. What video capturing software were you using?
I'm using Nvidia Shadowplay. I just took part in an invitational event and had the worst freezing i've had before but when I look back at the recording there was nothing.... What could it be?
Yes, that is indeed very strange. I also use the Nvidia software to record my gameplay. Maybe the stutters are only slight micro-stutters. Or maybe it's another type of bug altogether. Definitely keep trying.
It was really really bad stuttering that lasted 5 seconds at a time which I've not seen before. The video really shows nothing not even the micro stutters let alone the 5 second freeze. 
I'm catchup reading this thread so forgive me if the answer has been given.

What you're describing is explainable. Shadowplay has a fixed FPS for recording (30 or 60 IIRC) the framedrops you are getting is your display losing sync if the Shadowplay recording does not show a gap in the 5 seconds you claim you had a 'freeze'. So the game is not freezing, your display is losing sync.

This is also why microstutter is not easily visible with refresh over 60FPS, because Shadowplay still manages it's 60 FPS recording when YOU notice a frame drop (eg. from 110-120FPS to say 70-75FPS). If you have VSYNC OFF over the refresh rates your display panel can handle then loss of display sync is inevitable. 

I used to play on an LCD TV with only 60Hz max. refresh, and it would lose sync if I ran with VSYNC OFF over about 85FPS. Not all the time, but eventually. So, I used RTSS to introduce a framecap at 84FPS. This was the best solution I had until I bought a Freesync Monitor (it meant changing the card from GTX970 to RX480@580) I now run in 144Hz mode with Freesync covering me between 35-144FPS. The AMD driver is bugged in that it does not obey FRTC, which I set at 142FPS, but I've since stopped using it anyway as on my current settings 140FPS seems to be the upper framerate the game benches at. If VSYNC is capping at 144FPS I don't notice stutter as the game isn't often up in that zone. (Generally runs between about 85-130FPS depending on track and weather.)

The reason for high refresh rates? Input lag seems to be lessened when this game is played at 100FPS or higher. 

It's common in a lot of games to see issues & arguments about this type of thing. CM seem to be preoccupied with 60FPS as a lot of the people playing the game can't hit this target due to low spec. Plus, if they don't notice the input lag then it's not a problem. Others using higher settings like 1440 still probably use displays that can't sync over 60FPS but then current and mainstream cards are only really capable of 60FPS at these resolutions.

Hope this explains it a bit. I'm not saying the game is worldly optimised (far from it) but there are such differing demands upon it from all the users that it really does highlight how the game performance does not scale (i.e. it does not run better the better hardware you have).

I'm having these small lag spikes / freezes from time to time as well...

Motherboard: Asus Z97-C
CPU: Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL9
GPU: NVidia Geforce MSI Gaming GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M
Storage 1: SSD Samsung 850 PRO 256GB <- OS is installed here
Storage 2: HDD Western Digital Black 1TB
Storage 3: SSD 2.5" Western Digital Blue 1TB 3D NAND SATA <- F1 2018 is installed here
Gaming Wheel: Logitech G920

Started having these problems with the patch 1.07 I think

Seems like the common thread is a Nvidia card, haven't seen anyone post with an Ati Amd.
I have the same issues using a GTX660, turning texture streaming to 0 helped a lot though.

rooztek said:
 Seems like the common thread is a Nvidia card, haven't seen anyone post with an Ati Amd.
I have the same issues using a GTX660, turning texture streaming to 0 helped a lot though.
The game looks absolutely horrid when you do. In the pits the tv monitor and the tyre blankets are affected.

Yea... well they did mention they fixed Flashback freeze / stuttering.
Just had a league race online and kept having the same freezes... I have no idea why but since 1.07 things got bad...

We have all been ripped off. NOTHING has been done. Thanks for STEALING MY MONEY CODEMASTERS. You bunch of robbing ****S

Hi @Hoo

It's been 5 days since your last comment stating you will provide an update or create a new thread about this. Where do we stand at the moment?

I'm. Happy to travel to your offices but as mentioned before I use a cloud pc. Pm me if you need. 

Hi all,

In regards to Hoo's last post, we are still sorting a few bits and bobs out this side. Myself or Hoo will update you as soon as we can. Thanks for being so patient!  

Another damn freeze that killed my race... Can be seen from my POV and from car behind as well

https://streamable.com/5jrho 
https://streamable.com/fkkks 

I'm having these small lag spikes / freezes from time to time as well...

Motherboard: Asus Z97-C
CPU: Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL9
GPU: NVidia Geforce MSI Gaming GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M
Storage 1: SSD Samsung 850 PRO 256GB <- OS is installed here
Storage 2: HDD Western Digital Black 1TB
Storage 3: SSD 2.5" Western Digital Blue 1TB 3D NAND SATA <- F1 2018 is installed here
Gaming Wheel: Logitech G920

Started having these problems with the patch 1.07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1bqvKnsm_Y&t=5m 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1bqvKnsm_Y&t=6m07s 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1bqvKnsm_Y&t=6m28s

Here's a solution that seems to work for me and may work for others who can live with a small decrease in fps as well:

1. The Problem
To clarify the problem I had, because there seem to be different problems going around in this thread:
My PC was getting around 120-130 fps, with no visible dips during gameplay. Then, seemingly at random (but at least once in 
10 Rounds of Time Trial in Melbourne) I would get a severe freeze, lasting from approximately half a second up to two seconds.

I was able to reproduce these freezes over a longer time period. Also, i was able to watch GPU-Z simultaneously, and when the freezes happened, it showed "Pwr" as "PerfCap Reason". The PerfCap Reason also jumped between "Idle" (so, no PerfCap) and "Pwr". I also saw, that my Power Consumption was constantly around 100% TDP, sometimes a little above it (which i think should normally be okay, but who knows).

2. My Solution
Using a little tool called "nvidia inspector", i capped the games frames to 100 fps. Since then, i hadn't had a single freeze, not even a hint of lag, framedrops or otherwise. The PerfCap Reason is always Idle since then, with Power Consumption being around 80 % of TDP.

So, try to cap your fps to any value that you know your PC can constantly achieve, maybe it works for others as well.

3. Specs and Settings
i7-8700k @ 4,2 GHz
RTX 2080
16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10
Ultra Preset

Did someone here read something about standby memory and Windows 10? Apparently there's a bug on Windows 10 that makes the system not releasing standby memory when it's necessary and that causes stutters on several games.

I've read this post on Reddit and I tried the solution posted there to see if it worked with F1 2018 and apparently did something because the game seemed to run more stable than before. I didn't have much time last night to test it more deeply, so if anyone else can give it try and share the results it would be great. 

Here's a solution that seems to work for me and may work for others who can live with a small decrease in fps as well:

1. The Problem
To clarify the problem I had, because there seem to be different problems going around in this thread:
My PC was getting around 120-130 fps, with no visible dips during gameplay. Then, seemingly at random (but at least once in 
10 Rounds of Time Trial in Melbourne) I would get a severe freeze, lasting from approximately half a second up to two seconds.

I was able to reproduce these freezes over a longer time period. Also, i was able to watch GPU-Z simultaneously, and when the freezes happened, it showed "Pwr" as "PerfCap Reason". The PerfCap Reason also jumped between "Idle" (so, no PerfCap) and "Pwr". I also saw, that my Power Consumption was constantly around 100% TDP, sometimes a little above it (which i think should normally be okay, but who knows).

2. My Solution
Using a little tool called "nvidia inspector", i capped the games frames to 100 fps. Since then, i hadn't had a single freeze, not even a hint of lag, framedrops or otherwise. The PerfCap Reason is always Idle since then, with Power Consumption being around 80 % of TDP.

So, try to cap your fps to any value that you know your PC can constantly achieve, maybe it works for others as well.

3. Specs and Settings
i7-8700k @ 4,2 GHz
RTX 2080
16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10
Ultra Preset
I am capped to 65 FPS which I can constantly keep with my PC, it doesn't make a difference on my end.

Neither the fix from @Santijovi or @toucaN1304 seem to work for me.
So it has nothing to do with the Windows 10 memory  thing, I even think they fixed it in an update that came out earlier this year.
Capping fps, in anyway or form doesn't do anything sadly. 

AHAHAHA I tried minimum 20 different ways to solve FPS drops and mircrostuttering that i get in some parts of the race and nothing helped
i noticed one more thing about fps drops
I was driving in Bahrein and i had for about 70-80 FPS and in turn 9 i caused a massive crash,my front wing damaged and i noticed in that crash my Fps droped from 80 to 40 and was staying 40 until turn 12
I really do not know what is causing the problem
I play F1 2017 on High and average 100-120 FPS without dropping but on High in 2018 i average 70 FPS with drops and microstuttering 
I think it is not normal to get 30 less FPS for one year newer game whit almost same graphic
If it is normal OK,let me have that 70 FPS in average but WITHOUT DROPPING AND MICROSTUTTERINGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. The Problem

2. My Solution

3. Specs and Settings
i7-8700k @ 4,2 GHz
RTX 2080
16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10
Ultra Preset
I really was to early with saying that it doesn't work. I think I forgot to press apply settings or something, because when I tried it today, I nearly didn't get any stuttrering whatsoever. It's just amazing. Although, there are some major downsides:

For one, the input lag goes out of the window. I'm not saying it makes it unplayable, but it certainly is noticeable. 

Two, the little microstuttering still remains. It's still something very annoying. And at the same places were before the big stutters happened, the input lag increases and the microstuttering increases.

This fix makes the game finally playable for me, but it's far from ideal. Maybe now CM could figure out what the issue is.
This could be some very interesting information. Everyone should definitely try this fix out for themselves and put the outcome here. I'm gonna tag @Hoo here personally so he can see this development.

GUYS GUYS GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think i found out what is making problem for us
what is making fps to drop huge and mircrostuttering
JUST TURN OFF SMOKE SHADOW,i drove 10 lap and i did not have any single drop OR STUTTER  after a month of trying!!!!!!!!
Let me know if it works for you too

I don't know if this could work for everyone but I had a massive performance improvement by setting the refresh rate to "Auto" (instead of my screen refresh rate, which was oddly recognized as 119 but it actually should have been 120) in the graphics options screen. 
You might give it a try as well...

edit: Also, remember to enable the "Game mode"  for F1 2018 on Windows10

Hi @Faya
Is there any update from your comment on the 25th September? I personally haven't been able to play one full race weekend on career mode since the 24th August (release date)

Hi @Reece251 - have you tried the workaround suggested by @toucaN1304 above (https://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/358178/#Comment_358178)?