Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game breaking bug, lagspikes, slowdowns. [PC]

Hoo said: 
Hi @Reece251 - have you tried the workaround suggested by @toucaN1304 above (https://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/358178/#Comment_358178)? 
It's definitely a temporary solution, because I immediately notice it when it's not turned on for some reason. I then have to manually enable the setting again. Like I said, there's a huge input lag because of this and it's far from ideal. The microstutter is still present and the overall experience is degraded. 

It is however possible to complete a race with this solution.

I've noticed, just like I posted originally, that the big hickups always happen at the same parts of the track. For example in Hungary that's the second straight going uphill. But then you also have the ocasional random ones, spread around the track. 

The presented solution is ok for now, but I would still love so see a fix, so I don't have this increased input lag.

Hi @supersnel - some additional info that would be useful for us is:
  • Any additional examples where stuttering occurs on the same part of the track (like your Hungary example). 
  • Any more description on the microstutter. The videos clearly show the larger frame stalls, but we've not really got any info on microstutters.
  • Details on the input lag when the frame rate is capped. How bad is this? 
The reason I asked about toucaN1304's workaround as that it indicates situations where the hardware has failed to provide the GFX card with sufficient power, and so it takes a little break to gather itself! Running the F1 game uncapped will draw maximum power to your GPU, so any failure in that power draw will result in the frame stall that some of the people here are reporting with the symptoms described in toucaN1304's post. Reducing the load on the GPU makes it less likely for your system to hit this limit, although that is at the expense of GPU performance. It would be good to get as many people as possible who have experienced this issue to try capping frame rate to see if that makes a difference, or better still running the diagnostic test that was suggested which indicates what the GPU is doing during the moment the game stalls. We aren't yet sure how to fix that issue, but at least it helps us confirm if that's what people are seeing.

Hi @Hoo
|I have a similar issue to Supersnel when capping the frame rate.
What is the diagnostic test that I can run?

I get a proper freeze (need to restart my pc), happens in benchmark, career or even at the menus. Game freezes but sound is looping, i can change my volume but cant close the game with alt+f4 or anything else that restarting game.
In benchmark it might run for a minute but usually it freezes when lights should go off
Game worked fine, but i reinstalled w10 and after  that this started, probably after latest game update.
Changing graphic settings and lowering my oc doesnt help. 
I7-8700K + 1080Ti, runs 4K@60 with pretty much all max.

Edit:
Fixed mine issue, it was a hw issue. Once before had weird stability issue and is was due a bad 24-pin extension connection, voltages were slight low and again same issue.

@Reece251 - the diagnostic test is to run the game with a GPU profiler running (GPU-Z in the above example). Check the readout when you notice a stall. In the case of the poster , this appeared to be due to a brief power issue which was alleviated by capping the frame rate to avoid over-stressing the card. Here's part of @toucaN1304's previous post on this:
1. The Problem
To clarify the problem I had, because there seem to be different problems going around in this thread:
My PC was getting around 120-130 fps, with no visible dips during gameplay. Then, seemingly at random (but at least once in 
10 Rounds of Time Trial in Melbourne) I would get a severe freeze, lasting from approximately half a second up to two seconds.

I was able to reproduce these freezes over a longer time period. Also, i was able to watch GPU-Z simultaneously, and when the freezes happened, it showed "Pwr" as "PerfCap Reason". The PerfCap Reason also jumped between "Idle" (so, no PerfCap) and "Pwr". I also saw, that my Power Consumption was constantly around 100% TDP, sometimes a little above it (which i think should normally be okay, but who knows).

2. My Solution
Using a little tool called "nvidia inspector", i capped the games frames to 100 fps. Since then, i hadn't had a single freeze, not even a hint of lag, framedrops or otherwise. The PerfCap Reason is always Idle since then, with Power Consumption being around 80 % of TDP.

So, try to cap your fps to any value that you know your PC can constantly achieve, maybe it works for others as well.

got the same problem also in random lag, stuttering, freeze for 0.5 or 1 sec.
Mostly at Monaco
No issues at Canada or Spain
And some times also the audio.

My specs
GTX 1080TI
I7 8700k
32GB ram

Codemasters released the 2018 version of Formula 1 - this is the scripted time-demo based on the internal benchmark with the Australia circuit where we do a lap. We have two stutters for the Ti, again, this is the game engine, nothing to worry about. You can also see a bit more variance, but here again, that's the game as the car tries to overtake or bump into a very crowded field of opponents. The RTX 2080 if you would zoom in on the frame times exhibits slightly more frame pacing, it's incredible marginal though. Nothing here worries me.

Nothing you can do with specs will cure a bad engine.

Hoo said:
The reason I asked about toucaN1304's workaround as that it indicates situations where the hardware has failed to provide the GFX card with sufficient power, and so it takes a little break to gather itself! Running the F1 game uncapped will draw maximum power to your GPU, so any failure in that power draw will result in the frame stall that some of the people here are reporting with the symptoms described in toucaN1304's post. Reducing the load on the GPU makes it less likely for your system to hit this limit, although that is at the expense of GPU performance. It would be good to get as many people as possible who have experienced this issue to try capping frame rate to see if that makes a difference, or better still running the diagnostic test that was suggested which indicates what the GPU is doing during the moment the game stalls. We aren't yet sure how to fix that issue, but at least it helps us confirm if that's what people are seeing.
Is this a joke? So far in this thread you've told us to turn off texture streaming and cap fps because our gpus need a break.
The game is out almost 3 months and the game is still completely unplayable for me and thousands of others too. What progress have you guys made on this issue? Are you guys even working on it?

Unfortunately, this isn't a single issue that affects everyone. I've been through the thread (and a bunch of other ones) and created a big list of things to try to help diagnose the issue - these are things that have either worked for other people, or which will help narrow down the specific cause of your issue. I will close this thread off and encourage anyone still having issues to go to this thread and try all of the steps listed to help work out where their issue lies. 

In terms of things we have already done to improve stuttering, we have:
  • Improved texture streaming performance, particularly on slower hard disc drives.
  • Fixed stuttering from replay cameras
  • Removed frame spikes caused after using a flashback
  • Removed lag spike when players join / leave MP session
  • Reduced frame spike when crossing the finish line
  • Fixed issues of stuttering after running onto on-track areas on certain tracks
  • Optimised rendering of the pit lane straight
To check out the new thread, please see: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/140998/pc-tips-for-diagnosing-frame-stalls-during-races.

supersnel said:
Hoo said: 
Hi @Reece251 - have you tried the workaround suggested by @toucaN1304 above (https://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/358178/#Comment_358178)? 
It's definitely a temporary solution, because I immediately notice it when it's not turned on for some reason. I then have to manually enable the setting again. Like I said, there's a huge input lag because of this and it's far from ideal. The microstutter is still present and the overall experience is degraded. 

It is however possible to complete a race with this solution.

I've noticed, just like I posted originally, that the big hickups always happen at the same parts of the track. For example in Hungary that's the second straight going uphill. But then you also have the ocasional random ones, spread around the track. 

The presented solution is ok for now, but I would still love so see a fix, so I don't have this increased input lag.
Hi, @supersnel - we are investigating whether we can add an in-game frame cap which should allow you to configure your frame rate to avoid hitting the limits of the GPU and keep in line with your monitor sync rates whilst minimising input lag. I'll put a note on the other frame spike thread I've created once that is available. Thanks.