Jump to content Jump to content

The 2014 United States Grand Prix

I think the VSC went alright yesterday, but I don't quite understand why it would be needed for the entire circuit. I know they have a delta lap they have to stick to, but why can't they have a slow zone on the section of the track where the incident has occurred.

The FIA split the lap up into many small sectors, so lets say a car went off at COTA at T15, the cars would go into a slow zone at about T13, and this takes effect when the drivers pass a light board saying something like SZ (Slow Zone), so they would have to stick to a very reduced speed limit, slower than they would under a VSC delta lap. With this instead they are going extremely slowly so there's a further reduced amount of risk to the marshals, etc, and then they can go racing again once they get to a green flag or light board showing green. 
I think the VSC went alright yesterday, but I don't quite understand why it would be needed for the entire circuit. I know they have a delta lap they have to stick to, but why can't they have a slow zone on the section of the track where the incident has occurred.

The FIA split the lap up into many small sectors, so lets say a car went off at COTA at T15, the cars would go into a slow zone at about T13, and this takes effect when the drivers pass a light board saying something like SZ (Slow Zone), so they would have to stick to a very reduced speed limit, slower than they would under a VSC delta lap. With this instead they are going extremely slowly so there's a further reduced amount of risk to the marshals, etc, and then they can go racing again once they get to a green flag or light board showing green. 
It's so that the gaps are maintained. For example, Hamilton is leading by 6 seconds and passes through the slow zone. By the time Rosberg gets their, the slow zone is clear and cars are back up to racing speed. Rosberg wouldn't have to slow down, but Hamilton would've done so the gap has come down.

See?
fIsince08 said:

It's so that the gaps are maintained. For example, Hamilton is leading by 6 seconds and passes through the slow zone. By the time Rosberg gets their, the slow zone is clear and cars are back up to racing speed. Rosberg wouldn't have to slow down, but Hamilton would've done so the gap has come down.

See?
Then you could just impose the VSC until every car has passed through that zone an equal amount.
fIsince08 said:

See?
Then you could just impose the VSC until every car has passed through that zone an equal amount.
I know, but it is only a trial at the minute remember. I did think that what you said would be the easiest way of doing it.
I don't get why it would/is done for the whole lap? That's like it starting to rain, Hamilton going through the drizzly part of the track, but by the time Rosberg got there its stopped and he can go flat out, then making Nico slow down because its not fair he didn't have to drive through the drizzle. Its a complete and utter gimmick. You're going to have cars slowed down around the whole lap for 2+ laps at a time with big accidents that don't warrant a safety car. Its a joke and a knee jerk reaction. All they needed to do was give drivers penalties that were bordering on harsh for ignoring yellows, they'd soon listen.
Quite an interesting interview from Bob Fernly on Sky. Looking like they really cold boycott the race. And a pretty idiotic one from Mario Andretti following that.
Agreed, I'm sure he'd just sit there taking it up the arse if he had a struggling team, not..... Teams wouldn't even be thinking about it if the big teams didn't hold all the power. They want to race but if the others aren't going to listen then I see no other way. The big 5 ruining the sport for the fans! I'll stop watching if we only have big teams with three cars each and I'm sure many others would, it's just not F1. 

when cvc took control it ceased to be a sport and became a business. I liked Gerard Lopez's comments in the press conference yesterday, he said it should not cost a F1 team 100 million $ more to go 6 seconds a lap faster than a gp2 car and when you think of it like that it just makes no sense at all. it doesn't help when the fia introduce rules that increase costs, like these new very expensive engines that are getting used, the team just has to accept the new rule and either buy (if customer) or develop (if manufacturer) and both cost crazy amounts of money and the prize money handed out to the teams doesn't reflect that.

bottas interview was good tho, a future world champion I think

Hughesy said:
Quite an interesting interview from Bob Fernly on Sky. Looking like they really cold boycott the race. And a pretty idiotic one from Mario Andretti following that.
Agreed, I'm sure he'd just sit there taking it up the arse if he had a struggling team, not..... Teams wouldn't even be thinking about it if the big teams didn't hold all the power. They want to race but if the others aren't going to listen then I see no other way. The big 5 ruining the sport for the fans! I'll stop watching if we only have big teams with three cars each and I'm sure many others would, it's just not F1. 

Yeah I think F1 needs to look at maybe doing something similar to football and institute some sort of financial fair play rules that everyone not just the little guys at the back have to live by but the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes and such as well. It would probably mean someone from the FIA or at least someone who can work outside of the top teams influence to do this but I think it's an idea worth pursuing. I'm not sure exactly how they could do it but if it's made fair for all parties concerned then we hopefully wouldn't lose the small teams Caterham/Marrussia and such.

I'm with you I think @Hughesy control of this sport needs to be taken away from the big teams because at the moment you have the big guns taking all the glory and the money and the other's just playing for fun and it's no paying off for them because the money's all gone to the big guys.