Sign in to follow this  

To anyone struggling with qualifying vs race pace...

When I initially tried F1 2018 I thought that the cars were way too overpowered in the qualifying sessions vs the general race pace with me really struggling in qualifying and finishing last but then managing to finish the races just outside the top 10 with Williams. 

First two races exactly that happened but when I got to China I decided to switch from the default setting of Hot Lap to Overtake on the straights and managed to make up a huge chunk of time in qualifying putting me in 8th place.  

I’m not so sure now that things are that unbalanced but more a case of having to make the most of the different ERS modes during qualifying. 

Hope that manages to help anyone struggling like I initially was :)

I don't feel using your battery to make you faster should be the solution to the obvious issue that the AI is well quicker in qualifying (and practice for that matter) than in the race but this may be an equaliser for the time being. That is, if you're able to balance your battery over the course of a hotlap. Overtake mode drains it very quickly. 

That is a good point and something which I've found as well, but a few points 1) you actually have enough ERS deployment allowed for the entire lap (not to be mistaken with the battery charge) 
2) The AI at china are for some reason much slower than other tracks like Bahrain, Baku etc. Hopefully they end up changing the pace at different tracks because it's a bit odd being 3rd at somewhere like Monaco and China but then about 11th in Bahrain xDDD

Overtake is faster but not that faster. Maybe you think you were so much faster because you went from Bahrain, a track where AI is most OP to a track where they are pretty average.

Overtake mode is about 2 mph quicker than hotlap on a reasonable length straight. Hotlap is faster on acceleration though. 

R1KK1 said:
Overtake mode is about 2 mph quicker than hotlap on a reasonable length straight. Hotlap is faster on acceleration though. 
How is that possible? It is all about HP both acceleration and top speed...

AI is quick in qualifying and practise but slow in the race. They're overall a bit inconsistent when it comes to pace. Even in the race, some stints and weather conditions you can walk the AI, others they turn into Michael Schumacher on a packet of Haribo and 4 cans of red bull...

oner7 said:
R1KK1 said:
How is that possible? It is all about HP both acceleration and top speed...
Basically because ERS is limited to a certain amount per lap, mode 5 doesn't deploy constantly, to give the most efficient use over a whole lap without de-rating. It deploys a bit less in the highest gears, while mode 4 keeps deploying a bit extra in 7th and 8th gear as well  for overtaking purposes.