Sign in to follow this  

QOTW #10: F1 2014 Game Reviews

Time for the next question, and this week I am asking for your F1 2014 game reviews! The game has been out for a couple of weeks now and you've probably got a very good feel of it and you have made your decisions, so lets see what the community thinks as a whole. Use the poll to rate the game out of 10, and feel free to also write a written review with your thoughts on the game, however detailed you want.

Ok I do like the game but feel many problems never seem to get addressed. As in 2013, 2014 tyre wear in Hungary is far too high and you only get one good lap on them before they start to deteriorate and drop off by half a second a lap until your two seconds down on your best lap time! My times drop off too much in the wet compared with the opposition. I like the fix to Monaco! can now be competitive on this track. Would like track times to be more consistent, not much fun winning by a mile on some tracks, but way too slow on other tracks; they need to be more uniform. But keep up the good work, this is the best version yet. I also like the ability to adjust steering and brakes; not just on and off. I do feel that car adjustments make very little difference to lap times. Looking forward to your new platform next year!!! Thanks, David.

PS3/Logitech wheel. I enjoyed the game although the presentation and overall feel is pretty dry and boring (it took a week and a half to Platinum). A couple of things kept me from giving it a better score. The wet weather racing was pretty much a joke as the AI just kill you (lost 10 seconds a lap with full wets and the AI kept full pace). The AI in co-op seem overly aggressive, I never much cared for the classic stuff but with all that left over space on the disc I was surprised that they didn't seem to fill it with anything! I'm not sure if the game was responsible but it crashed my PS3 at least a dozen times (mostly after mid session saves & after the race was finished, thankfully!) Also the game stuttered quite often in the same places... I loved the handling this year with the wheel and for the first time I can drive from the cockpit view! the AI still seem to get in my way in at least half of my qualifying hot laps! Why did they remove gear adjustments this year? Anyway just online for me now as there is nothing in the game to make me want to go back and do it again... 7 out of 10 for me...cheers. 

It has a solid base, missing some essential items. FP1 and 2 as an example. R&D / practise could certainly have a lot more challenges or targets put in. Something like a target time with x amount of fuel in the car. Simulate race pace. 

I would prefer to see a slider 0-100% difficulty rather than the set fixed positions. This would allow a much more personal experience with the game. 

More information about your performance so telemetry. 

I think adding these in the next gen will certainly make it go a long way. I haven't had a wet race yet but 2011 showed that issue and a lot are pointing that out so that is going to disappoint when I get there. 

My score is based on gameplay and how much fun the game is when playing. I love the new physics as imo what this game offers from just driving and racing a car no other game comes close on the consoles (prob get abused by gt and forza fans) this year I actually have to consentrate when driving unlike every other game where I chat away and dont think about driving, the reasons for this is the car changes from lap to lap due to fuel, tyre wear, dirty air and tyre temps being a big one :) I love the way the car moves around under heavy breaking if to aggresive or the way the back end wants to snap on you if not carefull with the throttle and the way I have to adjust my driving as my car changes through a 100% race. I know its not even close to a sim but with what we have this year and ppls reaction to it I hope codies finally see that what most ppl want is a challenge when on track not a game thats more accesible on a controller lol! There is alot Im not to happy with and hope codies step it up big time next year because if my score was based on the overall game it would prob only be a 6 at best. To me a good game is about how much fun I have when playing not what features it has or pretty graphics so lets all hope codies will finally listen to what we all wanted the last 5 games and blow us away with next years title.  

Initially I was skeptical for F1 2014 after reading all the negative and complaining feedback on this forum. But I went ahead and found this version a step above the previous titles. Cockpit views are a bit high this time, but it was easy to fix and add dynamics via xml. Handling is better. Added four additional tracks from racing department and that compensated for lack of content.
This weekend, I got my hands on AC and another old simulator at my friend place. Although my friend was set in stone to boast on physics and stuff to discard F1 tiles as simcade nonsensse, I felt other way around. Sure simulators seems to have more data at disposal, but the end result was boring for me with stiff cockpits, rattling ffb, a lack of vibrance and poor speed sense. I had much enjoyable driving feeling on my way to home in much slower real car. Maybe Rift or Project Cars will change that but for now I realized that sim or not, the codemasters F1 titles have their own importance and entertainment value.
I hardly play online. Playing tracks along real calender is a plus fun. So no major bugs for me. I am enjoying it even more after racing sims and will give it a solid 9. I hope a proper oculus rift support and improved handling with ffb control in F1 2015 will be even more satisfying.