Jump to content Jump to content

Legend AI too fast - problem resolved

Grand Prix series by Geoff Crammond had the best AI for a racing game that I've seen.

And that started with DOS and a few Mhz CPUs.

The AI wasn't a mere script and their laps were real, you could switch view and watch the entire lap.

They were aggressive enough to outbrake you on corners and shut the door when you try the same.

Codemasters AI implementation is lame from the very start and hasn't changed since.

I suggest approaching Geoff Crammond or go after former employees from Microprose for a little consulting.
I agree with it being the best games we have had on F1, I went from playing on the  F1GP on the Amiga 1200 up to Gp4 on my pc and loved every one.
F1 2014 is ok now but not the same class as GP4, loved being in the pits after qualifying lap and going on the monitor and seeing someone else do ther run to better mine.  
The AI was great to race against, I like my F1 game now but wish if would step up another level.  Starting to lose confidence that Codemasters can make it as good as F1 used to be or maybe as I want it to be aha ! they are,  being caught between making the game for serious F1 fans and just a console racing game. It must be hard to make it right for three two types. 
If only Bernie would let another company also have a go as well to give Codemasters a kick up the arse or the other company take a different baseline to run the game. 
Still enjoy F1 2014,  but at the same time I have no other option until I get my PC at Xmas time and see what other F1 racing games are like and I can change my F1 2014 and hopefully 2015 around with mods that other talented people make to take the game a level higher that Codemasters can't quite reach with the people they have. 
I always wonder what happened to Geoff Cramond,  why did he stop?? If only he could take "Hoods" place. But would it sell as many copies?

Well you can always go with rFactor2 which is amazing!  Problem is that it doesn't offer the atmosphere or even a real feel of racing!  I had just posted my result at Spa in carreer on F1 2014 and as I said in that post it made me feel like a real winner.  rFactor2 offers the technical consistancy and perfection you're looking for but doesn't offer much else.  For that reason I'll take F1 2014 and Grid2 over almost any racing game out there!  Running rFactor2 is like a DCS flight sim...they're both a lot of hard, sweaty work that we all enjoy at times, but MAN, I worked for 35 years and now I just want to enjoy myself!  I'm curious to hear what other racers feel on this subject as it doesn't seem to come up much.  Most of the posts here, despite the fact it is the forum I spend more time reading and writing to than any other, are about tech and balancing issues!
FFOman said:
Well you can always go with rFactor2 which is amazing!  Problem is that it doesn't offer the atmosphere or even a real feel of racing!  I had just posted my result at Spa in carreer on F1 2014 and as I said in that post it made me feel like a real winner.  rFactor2 offers the technical consistancy and perfection you're looking for but doesn't offer much else.  For that reason I'll take F1 2014 and Grid2 over almost any racing game out there!  Running rFactor2 is like a DCS flight sim...they're both a lot of hard, sweaty work that we all enjoy at times, but MAN, I worked for 35 years and now I just want to enjoy myself!  I'm curious to hear what other racers feel on this subject as it doesn't seem to come up much.  Most of the posts here, despite the fact it is the forum I spend more time reading and writing to than any other, are about tech and balancing issues!
I feel exactly the same, that's why I was sucked in the moment Toca Touring Cars came out on PS1, the first game where the AI had "attitude" and didnt just drive along in neat boring lines. 

Codies do let themselves down though - there is something in their processes which allows too much to get through to the public and stuff seems to get fixed then overwritten (presumably) next edition with the old bug back in place.

They are also not grasping (maybe due to tight resourcing) that these forums could be a great opportunity to "engage" with their customer. About a year ago, one of their guys from the audio side came on here and answered some simple questions, explained the problems they have with mic location/vibration etc. - nothing too high tech, just nice informative stuff and apart from the odd random troll we all became nice as pie. If they could do a bit more of that, we would all calm down and they would get a lot more out of us too.