Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steering wheel begins to go off center gradually during a race

I am playing on PC. I noticed this problem already during the first race but it seems to get worse. When I begin the race, my steering wheel is centered perfectly. In settings I can see that my steering wheel centering is 0. Then gradually it starts to go off center. For example, I was racing in Baku. In lap 2, the steering wheel center was off by 2. In lap 4 it was off by 5. It starts to hurt lap times heavily and it becomes unplayable. Only way to reset is to disconnect and reconnect the steering wheel. It then centers it again, but in few laps it goes off center again. I was just racing in Spain and the steering wheel in lap 10 was off by 13 degrees. For some reason I can no longer get it fixed by reconnecting and disconnecting the steering wheel, so I can not play the game at the moment until this gets fixed.
During the racing I opened up my Logitech Profiler and I can see that it is calibrated perfectly, while in game it is off center. So it is not a calibration fault. Other games are fine, no problems like this.

PC
Steering wheel : Logitech Formula Force Ex. Latest possible drivers installed.  5.10, [06/14/2010]
Game version : 1.04

I have a Logitech G27 on PC, same drivers and same game version as whatamentalguy

It's not exactly the same problem but maybe its related. After a few minutes playing the game is like the force feedback is not that strong as it was when I started playing, it doesn't feel the same. I know the wheel works perfectly because I play others sims for hours without any issues.

It seems that this problem affects only to Logitech wheels users. 

Is there more I should do to have Codemasters fix this, or is it enough to make a post here? 
I just finished qualifying in Canada and I just cant start the race now, because it is impossible to complete the race. I had to retire from Spanish GP because of this issue. In Canada in Q1 the steering was ok, Q2 was off by 3 and in Q3 it was off by some 5 or 6. All the quickfixes like remapping the left and right steering or disconnecting/reconnecting the wheel work only once. After than the wheel starts to go off center again and these quick fixes don't help.

I noticed an interesting thing trying to fix this issue. I downloaded X360CE a program that allows any gamepad to be emulated as a Xbox 360 gamepad. I used it to have my steering wheel emulated as an xbox 360 controller. It did work as F1 2018 detected my steering wheel as an Xbox controller and the centering issue is gone, but it is not playable with it because the program adds quite a lot of input lag and it is super sensitive. However once I minimize the game and turn on the Logitech Profiler, the steering wheel goes off center in the game. What could be the problem here?  I am sure that the steering wheel is calibrated properly because it is is not off center when I am in the Logitech profiler settings screen.

Here is a screenshot of what I mean. Logitech Profiler shows +0 degrees, while in game the center is off by -2.

Fix this please, it is unplayable with this steering wheel at the moment, even though it is listed as compatible.

are you sure its the game because this is a common problem with the G27 as there is a very faulty part.  Same thing happened to mine a while back:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502354163

I hope it is not a fault in the wheel because the profiler shows the wheel is centered correctly. Also this does not happen in other games. Many thanks for the link, I will look at the videos and see if maybe that what you had is affecting my wheel too.

So a bit of an update if anybody is interested. It seems it was the fault in my wheel as no matter how many times I restarted the wheel it kept going off the center. I also began noticing it on other games, but it was the worst in the F1 2018 I think because maybe of how sensitive the steering wheel is this game, compared to for example Euro Truck Sim. I read on some old forums that this might be an issue with  dirty steering wheel "pot" so I opened up my wheel to clean it up and noticed the part called "pot" has self destructed. It looks all twisted up and is well beyond any repair. When I put the wheel back together and the same off centering problem is not only there but it is 10 times worse.