Sign in to follow this  

F1 2018 Surname May Cause Offence

Question

My last name is apparently too offensive in F1 2018, it was fine in 2017. The famous last name "Van Dyke", is now censored in 2 games that I play, this is very dissatisfying considering I can't even remove the proper space. Why is this a thing?   
Since it censored it again, it's "Vandyke", but with a space and capital "D".

18 answers to this question

Hi there,

Moving this to the F1 Technical Assistance forum. Thanks for posting, I'll pass this back to the team for review.

If anyone else has issues with their names, let me know in this thread or via PM. Thanks! 

Whilst I understand why my surname 'Dicker' is flagged up, it has not been an issue on previous F1 games (2016 and 2017).
It just decreases the immersion I get from the game, I cannot see how it can cause offense when it is only seen in single-player mode, meaning only I can see it anyway.
Would be good to have it solved.

Same problem with "Larsen" not being an allowed surname. This is quite a common surname. But apparently the game is too focused on the middle 4 letters.
A bit too strict I would say.

I wanted to play as Mick Schumacher in my career mode but apparently 'Mick' is also a big no-no word :D

oh well I suppose Charlie Whiting , Muhammad Hamilton,  Fukushima Maximus or Sheila Cantelever is out too then

Just coming towards the end of my night shift in the hospital where I work. This is the kinda thing we nurses need to see to keep our spirts up ??. Chuckling away to myself whilst my work colleagues think I've gone mad.  Worntoathread said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLiTJSXI69o

If this is okay, I'm sure your surname will be too ;) 

Hi all,

In regards to the audio names, they are mostly surnames with a few nicknames thrown in. 

Hi @Runibl, thank you for posting, I've added your name to the list for the team to look at. 

Hi @SpeedyWheels222 and @rfvgt, 

Thanks for posting, I've forwarded both names to the team for review.

Edit: As we had two threads about the same thing, I've merged them together. Thanks all

Faya said:
Hi @SpeedyWheels222 and @rfvgt, 

Thanks for posting, I've forwarded both names to the team for review.

Edit: As we had two threads about the same thing, I've merged them together. Thanks all

It has now been 2 weeks and nothing has been done about it. My surname is allowed in other games, such as FIFA without any problems (it is even allowed online).
It is unacceptable.

Whilst I understand why my surname 'Dicker' is flagged up, it has not been an issue on previous F1 games (2016 and 2017).
It just decreases the immersion I get from the game, I cannot see how it can cause offense when it is only seen in single-player mode, meaning only I can see it anyway.
My surname is allowed in other games, such as FIFA without any problems (it is even allowed online).
It is unacceptable and such an easy thing to fix

Hi @SpeedyWheels222,

While I understand that this is important to you, please do not create new threads about it. I’ve merged your new thread into the main thread. I will go and chase the team, but I’m afraid I do not have a timeframe for when I might get an answer.

What age is the guy programming the filter, 5?

Please do something about...ASSists
Vulcan182 said:
My last name is apparently too offensive in F1 2018, it was fine in 2017. The famous last name "Van ****", is now censored in 2 games that I play, this is very dissatisfying considering I can't even remove the proper space. Why is this a thing?   
Since it censored it again, it's "Vandyke", but with a space and capital "D".
So we are saying the great Richard Wayne VanDyke has absolutely no possibility of having a career?

Also, whoever compared it to Fifa, don't. My commentary name in pro clubs is Richard Wayne VanDyke's better known first name.
My team-mate sometimes uses the second name of Rod Fanni. We play in midfield together. D and F.

FRACTURED said:
So we are saying the great Richard Wayne VanDyke has absolutely no possibility of having a career?
Quite off-topic, but this is a must https://youtu.be/Q0UOYY_tgL0

Put the name Paul in the audio too.
I accept im not gonna get my surnane but put common first names in the audio at least