Sign in to follow this  

When I get rammed from behind, why do I get a warning?

I'm on Canada, have a good start, brake for the first corner. In comes some moron ramming me what seems full speed in my rear, causing me to spin out of the first corner.
I get a warning on my license, for a collision with this dude.
I turn my car around, rejoin the track
Get 2 penalty points for 'cutting the track'.

Are we actually serious here?

Yes, it is a system in its infancy.  I think if it is going to work then the coding for recognising who is at fault needs to improve.  I don't see it catching on if the victims of online incidents are getting punished...

Codemasters are developing a habit of creating new, unfinished, buggy features and adding them into games. SC is a prime example.

The penalty system is bugged.  I have another post about my teammate getting DQed for driving the wrong direction after we made contact and he spun.  He never actually drove in the wrong direction.  There was absolutely no reason for him to get a DQ.  If anything, I should have gotten a penalty for the contact. 

EDIT: Just realized this post was for a online race.  My issue was in single player career.

Harsh for sure! Try to capture videos of these to post so they can see the issue in full. .. And maybe shame the torpedo guys a little too ;) 

I'll try, if I ever make it into a ranked session again. It's been trying to join the same non-existing one for 6 minutes straight.

Some idiot corner cut right into me and I get the warning right after he was disqualified. Finished 3rd but that still pisses me off knowing it will happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjsYMhLoD30

Personally, I think license & penalty systems that often punish players for other people's foul-ups are worse than no license & penalty systems at all. I don't think it's a case of 'at least something is better than nothing' because with no license & penalty system, other people's foul-ups can only ruin a race for us, but bad penalty systems can also ruin our licenses, which limits what lobbies & events we can qualify for, giving trolls even more power to drag down our overall in-game experiences. 

Boxman90 said:
I'll try, if I ever make it into a ranked session again. It's been trying to join the same non-existing one for 6 minutes straight.
I hear you, joining seems a bit buggy, was okay 1st day!

RadeF1 Wow you had a rough session! A fair few naughty drivers in one! Shame you can't see their user names at the moment..

Operator1 said:

Personally, I think license & penalty systems that often punish players for other people's foul-ups are worse than no license & penalty systems at all. I don't think it's a case of 'at least something is better than nothing' because with no license & penalty system, other people's foul-ups can only ruin a race for us, but bad penalty systems can also ruin our licenses, which limits what lobbies & events we can qualify for, giving trolls even more power to drag down our overall in-game experiences. 

They need something to tell how much weaving they have been doing just before and during a crash, so you know who the erratic players are. The ones not turning or turning smoothly if a corner are just racing so the system doesn't penalise them. There must be something they can do that can easily pin point specific conditions that dish out penalties.

Operator1 said:

Exactly this. In 2017 I was just a bit angry when I got bumped off track, but more often than not I wasn't really, cause a lot of touches allow me to continue unscathed and no time lost.
Now, when I am driving and someone dives on the inside, wheelbanging my rear wheels while I left enough space, >I get punished< by points on my license for "collision warning", even if I can continue unscathed. Same for when I'm just braking and somebody literally torpedoes my rear. The punishment for >me< is just the cherry on the cake, that just gets me to no end and makes me want to throw my wheel out the window.

I can honestly say I have never been more frustrated with an online ranking system in my entire life. It's horribly unfair and trolls can now actively mess with your rank.

Boxman90 said:
Operator1 said:

Exactly this. In 2017 I was just a bit angry when I got bumped off track, but more often than not I wasn't really, cause a lot of touches allow me to continue unscathed and no time lost.
Now, when I am driving and someone dives on the inside, wheelbanging my rear wheels while I left enough space, >I get punished< by points on my license for "collision warning", even if I can continue unscathed. Same for when I'm just braking and somebody literally torpedoes my rear. The punishment for >me< is just the cherry on the cake, that just gets me to no end and makes me want to throw my wheel out the window.

I can honestly say I have never been more frustrated with an online ranking system in my entire life. It's horribly unfair and trolls can now actively mess with your rank.
The system certainly isn't perfect, but while other peoples erratic behavior may slow down your safety progress and that can be frustrating, it definitely works for the better in the long run if you're a clean driver.

I always put fair and clean racing first and within a week of playing ranked lobbies I've made it to an S rank, even with the occasional troll taking me out and the game (frustratingly) blaming me for it in the progress. Since then I've had races that wouldn't have been possible on '17; lobbies filled with completely random people that were all racing cleanly, actually leaving enough space and putting up fair fights. That's a big improvement if you ask me. Of course a troll here and there might cost you some races and safety points at first, but the farther you'll get the less of them you'll see and that's the whole idea behind it, it works out in the end.

The system certainly isn't perfect, but while other peoples erratic behavior may slow down your safety progress and it can be frustrating, it definitely works for the better if you're a clean driver in the long run.

I always put fair and clean racing first, and within a week of playing ranked lobbies I've made it to an S rank, even with the occasional troll taking me out and the game (frustratingly) blaming me for it in the progress. Since then I've had races that wouldn't have been possible on '17; lobbies filled with completely random people that were all racing cleanly, actually leaving enough space and putting up fair fights. That's a big improvement if you ask me. Of course a troll here and there might cost you some races and safety points at first, but the farther you'll get the less of them you'll see and that's the whole idea behind it, it works out in the end.
I'd be with you, were it not the system isn't "isn't perfect", it's blatantly flawed. Just now I've had another dumb situation. Up ahead two cars crashed and spun or something, they were in the middle of a slow corner sideways, yet >on track<, very slowly. I pass them inside the hairpin, the 'system' decides I made an overtake under yellow and tells me to hand the position back. I'd literally have to stop and wait for them to straighten their car, come to me, and overtake me. 

Needless to say, I got an instant 2 penalty points for 'overtaking under yellow' and lost over 20% of my safety rank.

Sorry not sorry, I'm returning this game for a refund. I have never been so disappointed in an online experience. Never before.

I dare say you were probably lucky. And once you're in paradise, where cars aren't flying off left and right, yes I guess it's easy to stay there. Is it fair? Don't know. Don't think so. Or I'm unlucky. Either case, I'm getting punished for offenses that weren't mine left and right. I'm out.

Boxman90 said:
Operator1 said:

It also depends heavily on the balance/ratio of rewards & punishments: if players gain X number of license points for placing well in a race, but players lose X+10 license points for getting rammed by a troll, then many players can easily get stuck in something like a "1 step forward, 3 steps back" deficit that can be very difficult (if not impossible) to dig out of, all through no fault of their own. It requires considerable luck to regularly be placed in public lobbies where other players don't ruin your races.

Its a joke atm, i was in a lobby tonight and a player did nothing but jump the start then hang back and take people out. Oh but theres no names visable so when i vote to kick the scum bag no one else does despite the moron hitting anyone and everyone.. yet im in the middle of a communications ban on xbox because i tell the idiots exactly what they are.. and they're free to ruin peoples races.. he cost me my first online win yet hs'll be back doing the same to others..

This should be the #1 video of a despicable F1 player and the psn tag is in the video. Did the devs really assume this will never be game breaking? Time to wake up "Codemasters"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvVLfm-Vy3k

RadeF1 said:
This should be the #1 video of a despicable F1 player and the psn tag is in the video. Did the devs really assume this will never be game breaking? Time to wake up "Codemasters"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvVLfm-Vy3k

This is why I stopped playing MP and stick to Career

Yeah they broke the penalty system this year again.

I was going through a corner when the driver who was 1 sec behind me on the braking point dived down the inside like Ricciardo but hit me with not even half of his car next to mine. I got a warning...

I was going through a corner when the driver who was 1 sec behind me on the braking point dived down the inside like Ricciardo but hit me with not even half of his car next to mine. I got a warning...

warnings do literally nothing. They don't even affect the amount of corner cut warnings to my knowledge.

UP100 said:

warnings do literally nothing. They don't even affect the amount of corner cut warnings to my knowledge.
Then why even showing it? lol

UP100 said:

Then why even showing it? lol
No idea.

Nice shame vid there with tag :D I hope Codies put a ban on them! That really is such unnecessary driving but then I partly blame games like NFS and Forza for teaching this style of win at any cost, last NFS game I played the AI was like this lol!

I hope they can implement a good system for penalties only penalising the erractic ones, but then at some point they will have to get tough again, I think another part of the penalties is maybe the smarter snake racers, those who know how to take others out without hitting them hard, PIT and slight forcing wide without heavy contact needed, then as opponents force to stay on track suddenly release leaving victim spinning from their own force. I've seen these a few times.

Yes, it is a system in its infancy.
It's not really. Deciding who caused a collision and when you did or didn't cut a corner are things the F1 games have been bad at for years. Now it just adds those dodgy decisions to your licence as well.

They've never been able to make something that can differentiate between idiots and a clean racer. You race the entire race clean, but on last lap get rear ended, penalty. 

The guy who smashed everyone all race probably gets the same amount of penalties. 

And "eventually it will even its self out" doesn't excuse the fact that the implementation is shocking. 

After that incident in the vid my A rating went from around 36% to 14% and the next race was clean but the rating went down again by one %. Next clean race finished 2nd nothing went up so it's like the whole system has a grudge against me.

This is all the information I have.