Sign in to follow this  

Impossible to keep up with the AI race pace solely due to high tyre inner carcass temperatures.

sirio994 said:
I agree 100%. Tyre temperature management requires feedback that the pad is not able to provide. With a pad you don't know if you are steering too much, pushing too much on the throttle or sliding in traction zones... 
pCars had a really nice trigger impulse where the edge of traction was and any more steering input would lead to understeer, accelerating would lead to understeer. If your next move wasn't liftoff slightly and mind your angle, hud would show a lot of heating on the outside tyre.

With F1 I think you can just drive through it, high speed stuff you can plough on through with no obvious signs what you are doing. They'll probably be forced to do something.

Hopefully they don't dumb tyre model down though. Add a smaller version of the tyre wear test bar to the HUD, as with that on screen on pad I feel like that helps with judging steering angles in relation to overheating tyres (is the vibration coming from the main motors or the triggers to tell me when i'm pushing the tyres too far?)

If needs be have TCS full on pad also have some steering assist to over-ride ridiculous inputs like 100% right!!!!111! when only 10% would be required.

I think you need to calm down Freddus. I am sure if the tyre temp bug was effecting wheel users you would be on here complaining as well. It's nothing to do with setups or bad driving.....its a massive glitch which needs fixing ASAP! 
If it does nor effect wheel users it's not a bug. Just simply it's impossible to drive smooth enough with a pad. The only option here is to implement an option to turn off tire carcas temperatures because there is nothing to fix.

If I buy an Xbox or PS4 it doesn't come with a wheel or a 16 bit controller or pure analogue included, so I can't agree with that statement (and I have a wheel).

We can say its not a bug, its just a badly implemented new feature in certain situations (when taking into account the input methods likely to be used by the majority). On PC the game is somewhat playable with a keyboard. If there was a 'bug' where none of the steering keys were registering in game, I don't think many would say "not a wheel issue, not a bug".

FRACTURED said:
If I buy an Xbox or PS4 it doesn't come with a wheel or a 16 bit controller or pure analogue included, so I can't agree with that statement (and I have a wheel).

We can say its not a bug, its just a badly implemented new feature in certain situations (when taking into account the input methods likely to be used by the majority). On PC the game is somewhat playable with a keyboard. If there was a 'bug' where none of the steering keys were registering in game, I don't think many would say "not a wheel issue, not a bug".
so screwing over the pad market so the esports 2% is happy isn't a bug.....
have a word with yourself

Also don't F1 drivers have to manage their tyres? For example, drivers complained that they couldn't race at Monaco, it was car management instead.

Senna1990 said:
FRACTURED said:

so screwing over the pad market so the esports 2% is happy isn't a bug.....
have a word with yourself

You just keep doing you bro!!! Love your interpretation of words.

I might be in the minority but I don’t seem to have much of a problem with the tyre temps on PS4 using the controller with no assists. 

Granted I did struggle with Monaco (particularly the first corner straight after the hairpin where I tend to slide straight into the barriers when I go to brake) and Singapore also.
But every other track I’ve managed the temps okay and managed to bring them down when they’ve got too hot from sliding the car around too aggressively.

Codemasters MUST correct this "bug"
Because it's a problem for all pad users
I can not start my career because I already know that when I arrive in monaco singapore (which are also my favorite tracks) I can not play them.
if Codemasters will not do anything he said it right away so I can sell the game and earn some money because I like the game a lot but this overheating of the tires makes it unplayable

Sorry for my english

The tyre temp system is broken isn't it?

In Singapore I just raced but every set of tyres started to heavily overheat after 3-4 laps to the point where the temps were between 110-115C. I haven't had this issue before. It makes the game unplayable right now. 

FRACTURED said:
Is this issue solely a pad vs wheel thing? I use a wheel and haven't seeny anything remotely like overheating tyres...

Yes. 

Wheels:
16-bit (65,536 values) 12-bit (4,096 values) 10-bit (1,024 values)

Pad:
10 bit (maybe) or 8 bit (256 values) 

So even the worst wheel is just more accurate than a standard pad. If you only need a slight amount of lock with wheel it's easy. With pad it's much harder to find that same amount of lock and in game there's a different setup with more filters and different settings dependent on speed etc versus the wheel. 

With pad you tend to always initially use more lock than required and if in the heat of battle the in game warnings don't get your attention, you overheat the tyres fast now. This is the new symptom for the diagnosis: pad user. Before the new model, pad user could rely on horrible tyre wear but not so much of the overheating. 

FRACTURED said:
Is this issue solely a pad vs wheel thing? I use a wheel and haven't seeny anything remotely like overheating tyres...

Yes. 

Wheels:
16-bit (65,536 values) 12-bit (4,096 values) 10-bit (1,024 values)

Pad:
10 bit (maybe) or 8 bit (256 values) 

So even the worst wheel is just more accurate than a standard pad. If you only need a slight amount of lock with wheel it's easy. With pad it's much harder to find that same amount of lock and in game there's a different setup with more filters and different settings dependent on speed etc versus the wheel. 

With pad you tend to always initially use more lock than required and if in the heat of battle the in game warnings don't get your attention, you overheat the tyres fast now. This is the new symptom for the diagnosis: pad user. Before the new model, pad user could rely on horrible tyre wear but not so much of the overheating. 

With pad you get full lock much faster though.. might not be great for precision steering but you also have to remember that pad reaches full lock much quicker so for sharp corners technically pad is better! 

Its very difficult granted but also it also achievable to drive smoothly on a pad.. 

Love the way people are voting “off topic” to sound reasonable arguments...

problem is.. these are the people codies actually listen to

MatrimC said:
Has Codemasters yet to acknowledged this as a bug or is it actually working as intended with pad users?

I'm finally finding my optimal difficulty level come COTA and I'm fighting evenly against my teammate (Leclerc) and other cars at same development level in Qualifying. But on race, after I start closing in the first pit stop, the tyres are heated enough to pace to fall dramatically versus any other car on the track. 

And before someone tells me to adjust my driving style, I have done so. I'm basically keeping the Temp window open on dislay throughout the whole race and the amount of saving you need to keep the tyres not reach the critical temperatures also throws you off the pace of other cars around you.

There's no easy to way to even combat this due to setups since I'm already driving setups roughly giving me better than average tyre wear / sliding.

Is there any confirmation yet if this is related to difficulty as well? Because I had no issues on temperatures on early season when I was still driving slightly lower difficulties. Not after I raised it, this has become an issue. Also the issue seems to be that the tyres aren't cooling down enough rather than them gaining degrees. 
same problem for me ... I'm on One s , there isn't patch yet ( I'm on 1.04 version) and with Sauber I have many problems with temp .... 

test91 said:
https://www.noelshack.com/2018-36-5-1536320572-20180907133748-1.jpg

Hello i have some prroblem with this game 
the tyre temps for the pad isn't adapted for the races in some tracks like singapour monaco japan baku australia 
The tyres go to 105-110 degres and it is impossible to drive whit a solid pace 
I play in pc with a x box one pad
My setup have a maximun 7 ballast  the lower camber and a low pressure tyres and my laps times in this games are pretty good ( no pretension )
That is a bug or a thing to change or is it my driving style incompatible wiht  your game 

Thanks and sorry for my english i'm french
Looking at your pic again i have noticed that there isn't really any overheating here that would cause a drastic drop off in speed. The only overheating here is the core temp, but the carcass temps are all normal, and at the end of the day you're getting your grip from the carcass. 

The only thing that the core temp would affects is tyre pressures, so if it's really hot the pressure goes too high abs there might be a bit less grip, but I don't know if that's simulated in this game. 

Btw, I just did a race at Paul Ricard and I never managed to get the core temp to go into red and I drove as hard as I could with carcass temps on the front left frequently exceeding 130 degrees Celsius after Signes and the next long right hander. But by the time I would get to the last corner tyre temps were all normal and I never had any issues with regard to doing fast consistent lap times. 

MrCosta96 said:
Hm. Strange. The softs are supposed to work between 105-135º Celsius yet when you hit the 105ºC mark, your tyres are already overheating.
No, they're not overheating. The 105 -135 degree range is for the surface temps, not core. I frequently exceed 130 degrees on this game and the surface temps only go into yellow and I have no significant drop off in performance. 

The game seems to only define 105 degree core temps as too high, which may or may not be correct, but if you have 105 core temp and 110 or 120 surface temp there doesn't seem to be a problem as far driving fast is concerned because the surface temps are still inside their reccomending working range. 

Just bringing this up again as I'm curious to what is going on, I get this most noticeably in Monaco where the end of the race gets incredibly hard to brake, accelerate and turn due to the tyre temperature which I cannot manage however well I drive. I am also curious to any who did the R&D Chassis temp balance part? Did this sort the issue or is it the game, I'm fairly confident in my smoothness of racing that I am experiencing what you are, especially as no AI seem to suffer this by their continued strong pace.

Just bringing this up again as I'm curious to what is going on, I get this most noticeably in Monaco where the end of the race gets incredibly hard to brake, accelerate and turn due to the tyre temperature which I cannot manage however well I drive. I am also curious to any who did the R&D Chassis temp balance part? Did this sort the issue or is it the game, I'm fairly confident in my smoothness of racing that I am experiencing what you are, especially as no AI seem to suffer this by their continued strong pace.
How do you know it's due to the tyre temperature? Maybe it's the tyre wear combined the build up of marbles off line. 

My my guess is that people are wearing their tyres out and trying to maintain their pace on worn tyres which makes the situation even worse. 

The tyres overheating then becomes a result of all that rather than the cause. 

I've done quite a bit of testing on this and I'm finding it very difficult to overheat a fresh set of tyres. Only when it's worn does it become easier. Tracks like monza for example make it impossible to overheat any tyre no matter what I do. 

Freddus said:
How do you know it's due to the tyre temperature? Maybe it's the tyre wear combined the build up of marbles off line. 

My my guess is that people are wearing their tyres out and trying to maintain their pace on worn tyres which makes the situation even worse. 

I've done quite a bit of testing on this and I'm finding it very difficult to overheat a fresh set of tyres. Only when it's worn does it become easier. Tracks like monza for example make it impossible to overheat any tyre no matter what I do. 

Freddus rocojuanclarkus because it shows you on the mapping the temperature over heated in red and the tyre wear still green with a good low %. The brakes also show their stats during the race as good. My gearbox and components were all good too. On Monaco specific I was doing a 25% race on career with McLaren, HS recommended lap 5 pit, I pitted lap 6 with tyres just about loosing their wear and slowing my last sector by .5 second. But none the less managed to use the quali tyre a lap longer than recommended. Also meaning a lap less to wear on the US. By race end the wear was within 30% just reaching yellow but the temperature of the front left was in the red for the last 5 laps. The others were on and off red. By the end my lap times were 2 seconds off my original US pace with caring for the tyres the whole 25% race (20 laps). Its quite a big gap to loose in a race and I was coasting the corners, not over reving or locking under braking. The only red was the tyre temperature, causing me to struggle with accelerating, braking and cornering, it was slow vastly to make the corner or crash into the barrier.
I'm partial to thinking the McLaren chassis is very poor and not unlocked the R&D tyre temp balance part yet, just started it. 1st Monaco was not to bad but with a much un-R&D'ed car I wasn't really in a race to speak of then, but the 2nd season Monaco was much more noticeable. (most power and 25% aero complete)  I feel I had a good balanced pace and can make most other circuits very well without any concern for the tyres. Although Monaco is a street circuit and a bit more slippery I didn't notice any more slip action than other such circuits like Singapore.

Freddus rocojuanclarkus because it shows you on the mapping the temperature over heated in red and the tyre wear still green with a good low %. The brakes also show their stats during the race as good. My gearbox and components were all good too. On Monaco specific I was doing a 25% race on career with McLaren, HS recommended lap 5 pit, I pitted lap 6 with tyres just about loosing their wear and slowing my last sector by .5 second. But none the less managed to use the quali tyre a lap longer than recommended. Also meaning a lap less to wear on the US. By race end the wear was within 30% just reaching yellow but the temperature of the front left was in the red for the last 5 laps. The others were on and off red. By the end my lap times were 2 seconds off my original US pace with caring for the tyres the whole 25% race (20 laps). Its quite a big gap to loose in a race and I was coasting the corners, not over reving or locking under braking. The only red was the tyre temperature, causing me to struggle with accelerating, braking and cornering, it was slow vastly to make the corner or crash into the barrier.
I'm partial to thinking the McLaren chassis is very poor and not unlocked the R&D tyre temp balance part yet, just started it. 1st Monaco was not to bad but with a much un-R&D'ed car I wasn't really in a race to speak of then, but the 2nd season Monaco was much more noticeable. (most power and 25% aero complete)  I feel I had a good balanced pace and can make most other circuits very well without any concern for the tyres. Although Monaco is a street circuit and a bit more slippery I didn't notice any more slip action than other such circuits like Singapore.
Several things to consider here. 

1. Tyres in high 30s will already be almost spent. That's why jeff will tell you to expect a significant loss of grip and will bring you in for a pit stop as soon a one of your tyres exceeds 35% wear. 

2. There will be more marbles off line, so unless you are extremely precise you will be experiencing loss of grip even if you just put 2 wheels offline. 

3. You're right that your mclaren at the beginning will have a very bad chassis and aero package which should make tyre overheating and loss of grip more pronounced as the tyres wear down.

4. When you say the tyres are in the red I'm guessing you mean the inner core temps, not surface. Remember on the graphic the whole tyre going red means the core is getting too hot. The actual tyre surface is the thin outline and that always drops very quickly. Also inner tyre temps don't affect grip anywhere as much as the surface, and the inner temp comes from a combination of brake temp and surface temp. So don't panic if the tyre goes red, as long as it doesn't exceed 115 degrees Celsius. You should be fine and as long as your surface temp is within the normal operating window. Also if you want to bring the core down you need to bring the brake temp down first, which is what drivers do in real life. 

Freddus said:

It isn’t wear as it appears too quick. The wear doesn’t fall off that quick in any other tracks bar Monaco Singapore etc so you’re quests is wrong. 

How have you tested this? Is this on a wheel? 

Freddus said:

It isn’t wear as it appears too quick. The wear doesn’t fall off that quick in any other tracks bar Monaco Singapore etc so you’re quests is wrong. 

Tyre wear is scaled, so if you're doing a 25 percent race distance tyre wear will be 4 times faster than normal. That mean that for every lap you'll have 4 laps of worth of wear. In 4 laps you'll have 16 laps worth of wear. 

And I've tested both wheel and pad and the results are the same. 

Try the following. Do a 25% race at monza and you'll find a significant loss of grip as soon your tyre wear reaches 35- 40% even though your tyre temps, both core and surface temp, are green and on the low side. 

Okay so it was inner temp, it was in the red at 109 degrees consistently.
I didn't have the radio message about wear to the end of the race.
I follow the racing line religiously but naturally the odd wide or cut for overtakes/defending inner line etc.
Apart from pits I can be pretty easy on the brakes as overtaking is a little trickier so the HS would get the brunt and after stop US would be the easier to care for in position.
So with that in mind too is it still me? If so how better to manage this on Monaco being that my brakes seemed fine on the mapping popup. Or something else I'm not paying enough attention on? The 109 degree inner tyre temp was the only thing that was abnormal to everything else as regular races go for me.

Okay so it was inner temp, it was in the red at 109 degrees consistently.
I didn't have the radio message about wear to the end of the race.
I follow the racing line religiously but naturally the odd wide or cut for overtakes/defending inner line etc.
Apart from pits I can be pretty easy on the brakes as overtaking is a little trickier so the HS would get the brunt and after stop US would be the easier to care for in position.
So with that in mind too is it still me? If so how better to manage this on Monaco being that my brakes seemed fine on the mapping popup. Or something else I'm not paying enough attention on? The 109 degree inner tyre temp was the only thing that was abnormal to everything else as regular races go for me.
The brakes barely (if at all) affect the carcass temps, it's mostly aggression in driving style and understeer/oversteer that affect them.

The front tyres overheat if you're aggressive/harsh with your steering inputs, so basically more gentle and smooth steering will help. When you carry a bit too much speed and give it full lock into a corner (understeer), you can hear this subtle 'scrubbing' sound as well which tells you you're overdriving the car. Avoid 'throwing' the car around. 

The rear tyres overheat if you're too aggressive on the throttle out of corners creating wheelspin, or by sliding a little bit at high speed as the rear tries to step out( oversteer) To prevent wheelspin be gentle with gradual throttle application,  also short-shifting can help for smoother traction. For the high speed stuff just try to keep the car as straight as possible with minimal steering lock and avoid oversteer.

With all these things in mind it should help to at least reduce overheating, but just a couple of 'mistakes' per lap can already be too much on the demanding tracks. In the end just try to be as smooth as possible in all areas of your driving and avoid putting too much load on the tyres.

Freddus said:
Freddus said:

Tyre wear is scaled, so if you're doing a 25 percent race distance tyre wear will be 4 times faster than normal. That mean that for every lap you'll have 4 laps of worth of wear. In 4 laps you'll have 16 laps worth of wear. 

And I've tested both wheel and pad and the results are the same. 

Try the following. Do a 25% race at monza and you'll find a significant loss of grip as soon your tyre wear reaches 35- 40% even though your tyre temps, both core and surface temp, are green and on the low side. 

Ok so turn that around. I do 100% races and after 4 laps the tyres are overheating and you cannot bring them back. It’s not due to wear. 

Ps have you tested this on a pad or wheel?