Sign in to follow this  

AI speed in racenet challenges

At the dev. team; can the level of the AI bots please be upgraded to hard for the racenet challenges? You have a 3 lap run to set a time in the racenet challenges and all too often your lap is destroyed because there is a bot slowly going through the apex of  a corner. Also in the races it's just about trying to pass the first lap carnage as best as you can and get through to P1 in the first lap as to set a decent time. I suppose the AI is set to the medium difficulty but this is way to slow and they 1: serve as mobile chicanes during time trials to the frustration of players trying to get a decent lap in, and 2: also in races which make them not really feel like a proper race because with a minimum of driving skill you pass the whole field on lap 1.

Please let me (and the dev team) know if you guys find this a good idea (as i guess the majority of you will feel the same here).

hit the brakes at the start and let the AI get 3/4 of a lap a head and then its free sailing . One bad lap and two good laps are better then three bad laps

hit the brakes at the start and let the AI get 3/4 of a lap a head and then its free sailing . One bad lap and two good laps are better then three bad laps
That's a workaround although they are still THAT slow that for sure you encounter other mobile chicanes in the remainder of your laps. But we shouldn't have to do that really if they would just scale up the AI's level to hard it would be fine and it would take time to catch a bot that's ahead of you + he wouldn't be parking mid corner all the time...

This technique is actually worthwhile. The rolling speed across the start line on the first lap is considerably slower than consecutive laps where you can take the last corner at race pace, so the first lap will never be your hotlap regardless... may as well waste it experimenting with grip levels and new lines etc.

However, it is still a work around and waiting for 30 seconds or so every time we start a challenge is bothersome.

This has been asked and ignored since release. Pretty damn annoying really as TT's shouldn't have bots, the races shouldn't have retarded bots running at speeds that make Granny's look fast.

I know this game has some casual players but some of the racenet events are just annoying because of these issues. It doesn't really make me want to play the game that's for sure...

On the long city track this week, I must have passed 8 cars in three laps. On long tracks like that there is just nothing seemingly you can do to avoid these crap AI.

...And Codies answer to that is Everyone has to deal with the AI. However, the AI is not the same every lap and it depends on where you catch them to whether or not you have a good lap. Personally I think the difficulty should be set according to what Medal you want, ie Bronze-Easy, Silver-Medium. Gold-Hard, Platinum-Very Hard and if you win the race you win the medal, Easy as Pie, instead of selecting some off the wall Static lap time and hoping you don't get stuck behind some Stupid AI. But, hey I guess that's why they get paid the Big Bucks and never respond to any of our Ideas. 

Not to mention the order of the cars and drivers changes with each time you load the race, so there's never any type of consistency.

One very easy solution to this, that doesnt require and more memory usage, or additional software.........................................................................................

Turn collisions OFF.   

CM say they cannot turn off the AI, well why not turn off collisions for the Fastest Lap events, 
This should have been the way in playlists as its a race against the clock and not against the other cars.  

This was suggested before the game came out, but as usual CM ignored me, as they what the players want more than the players do.  At least thats what they think.  Just look at Grid 2.  

+1 for every single idea in this thread, I'd appreciate them all. It can't be that hard to do such a thing. Really hoping this thread will get attention by CM!

CM say they cannot turn off the AI, well why not turn off collisions for the Fastest Lap events, 
This should have been the way in playlists as its a race against the clock and not against the other cars.  

This was suggested before the game came out, but as usual CM ignored me, as they what the players want more than the players do.  At least thats what they think.  Just look at Grid 2.  
Cannot turn off the AI?

They are either lying or really stupid, you decide.

Go to steam community and read the reviews on this game they mostly go like this:

The driving is awful. The cars wallow all over the place, the grip modeling is bizzarre, you have to brake at sim-like distances, though the AI does not--and meanwhile the AI's only goal is, seemingly, to wreck you at every opportunity, or at least shove you off the track or into the nearest barrier. They will honest-to-god plow into you at the startline if they can. It's like multiplayer with twelve-year-olds.

The cockpit cam is pathetic. It's worse than the Grid 2 mod.

No team of your own, no personal livery, no stable full of cars--just mercenarily jumping from sponsor to sponsor and racing whatever they have for you.

The only reason I'd give this anything but a zero on a 0-10 scale is that it looks very nice, all things considered, and has a pretty interesting car list--that I will never fully get to experience because of the godawful nature of the basic game. It's a two at best.

If you want an arcade racer, pick up the first game, or grab any of the NFS games. If you want a sim, Assetto Corsa is the answer. Reading through some of these other reviews, I'm boggled by the low standards and mean value to which people hold their entertainment dollar these days.

That's BS Hypotoad.
Handling is fine, deffo best handling in Grid series. Its real simcade. NFS comment is totally out of context here.
Braking is fine, you can easily outbrake AI. 
There are/will be cockpit mods so its no biggie.

the AI cars in racenet challenges go fast until go behind them that they stop on purpose to block you.. plz just tunr them off , these challenges must be pure players time competition..!

The handling physics in this game are among my top favorites, if not the best. I haven't found a balance of simcade this strong in a long time.

HypoToad said:
Go to steam community and read the reviews on this game they mostly go like this:

The driving is awful. The cars wallow all over the place, the grip modeling is bizzarre, you have to brake at sim-like distances, though the AI does not--and meanwhile the AI's only goal is, seemingly, to wreck you at every opportunity, or at least shove you off the track or into the nearest barrier. They will honest-to-god plow into you at the startline if they can. It's like multiplayer with twelve-year-olds.

No team of your own, no personal livery, no stable full of cars--just mercenarily jumping from sponsor to sponsor and racing whatever they have for you.

The only reason I'd give this anything but a zero on a 0-10 scale is that it looks very nice, all things considered, and has a pretty interesting car list--that I will never fully get to experience because of the godawful nature of the basic game. It's a two at best.

If you want an arcade racer, pick up the first game, or grab any of the NFS games. If you want a sim, Assetto Corsa is the answer. Reading through some of these other reviews, I'm boggled by the low standards and mean value to which people hold their entertainment dollar these days.

The guy that wrote this doesn't know what he is talking about. Physics are nice, racing is nice game is top notch and addictive. I guess he just tried the game with the AI on medium level also, on medium they are slow and annoying (AKA in the way), whilst if you bump it up to hard they are fast and don't hit you all the time neither.

That's why i suspect that the AI in the racenet challenges sucks so much, it's either programmed in easy or hard so all they do is annoy the people that know the difference between a gas and brake pedal.

Please codies,  turn the AI speed up to hard or get rid of them for time trials.

HypoToad said:

The review is bit on the harsh side, some (not all) cars do wallow all over the place such as the Boss 302 Mustang driving it reminds me of a Mustang from the 70's not a modern Mustang. Now the seventies muscle cars do wallow as expected the modern ones should not.  Yes the AI is bad, the cockpit is pathetic,  But I would never recommend a NFS game over Grid.

Not only is their speed annoying, but adding AI makes leader board times biased, not everyone will have the help of slipstreaming during their fastest lap. (Which in G:AS is super effective), I managed to place very high one time thanks to slipstreaming someone on a straight.

No hopes of a patch to get rid of the AI, but here's hoping the next game won't have them. Just keep it like Grid 2 where's it's purely time/score based.

HypoToad said:

The review is bit on the harsh side, some (not all) cars do wallow all over the place such as the Boss 302 Mustang driving it reminds me of a Mustang from the 70's not a modern Mustang. Now the seventies muscle cars do wallow as expected the modern ones should not.  Yes the AI is bad, the cockpit is pathetic,  But I would never recommend a NFS game over Grid.

The handling, cars and tracks are all fine, career mode could've been better if we weren't playing as a rented driver.

That review is a bit harsh. I don't think this game is worse than Grid 2, however it's glitches and bizarre AI have killed my experience with this game, so I struggle to recommend it to people.