Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone considered...........

.....that the real F1 cars that the cars in the game are based on have much better grip this year due to technological advances since 2013 and that codemasters have got this exactly right on the pad, but not on the wheel. It may have nothing to do with traction and the settings for the wheel are completely wrong. Thoughts?

Cars this year do not have better grip, where did you get this from?

If anything, they've got less grip due to this being first season after rules change for aerodynamics, and specially due to turbo charged engines, which have greater torque.

Pad settings are wrong. Period.

Pad setting are wrong and so are wheel settings. Codemasters F1 games are never going to be similar to driving a real f1 car the closest you'll get is probably the Assetto corsa f1 mod

Look at Practice 1, 2 and 3 from real life Australian 2014 season. Everyone was sliding around due to the lower grip levels and higher torque. Harder to drive than 2013.

F1 2013, the game, has too much grip actually. There are some corners you can take flat out in the game, whereas you can not IRL.

Look any tv cam from last weekends race, Texas. Real cars take corners insanely fast. Crazy grip. In the game everything feels slower.

Look at Practice 1, 2 and 3 from real life Australian 2014 season. Everyone was sliding around due to the lower grip levels and higher torque. Harder to drive than 2013.

F1 2013, the game, has too much grip actually. There are some corners you can take flat out in the game, whereas you can not IRL.
Many drivers say it's easier to drive this year.

Craig1405 said:
.....that the real F1 cars that the cars in the game are based on have much better grip this year due to technological advances since 2013 and that codemasters have got this exactly right on the pad, but not on the wheel. It may have nothing to do with traction and the settings for the wheel are completely wrong. Thoughts?
Hope not - wheel's awesome this year.

Tourgott said:

Absolutely not true. Some drivers said that they like the way cars handle, but they never said they are easier to drive. They are not, that is why many experienced drivers like these cars more.
Cars this year have a lot more torque, way less downforce and don't forget the lack of blown diffusers (and you can really notice it if you re watchinf Interlagos' FP1 right now).

Surely the lap times tell you everything you need to know, from looking at the same person playing 2014 and 2013, the best players of both games, the actual f1 times themselves. Splits on more curvy and straight sections can provide info on power and handling/grip.

I've tried driving games on XBone using a pad, and even tried hooking the dammed thing up to my computer cause so many people use them that I thought perhaps I was missing something.  I'm glad I did!  Pads are completely foreign to the way we judge distance and 3d space!  I can't drive OR shoot with them...except maybe on slower paced games like Destiny.  Personally, I'd love to try a really good wheel on my PC when driving, but I've gotten pretty good with my Thrustmaster M16000 stick, and it's got to be a lot easier moving it out of the way on my desk when I need to write or hook up my two piece Thrustmaster stick with the throttle for flight sims.  And for almost everything else I use a Logitech Thumb rollar ball mouse strapped to my hand with an old turniquet so I don't have to wear out my wrist or shoulder.  I can even use that while I rub my head or scratch my a__ without missing a move!  A wheel would probably just get in my way! <g> 

I'm sorry but wanted to also say that as far as I'm concerned, the traction in F1 2014 is a lot better than in previous years, and only requires minimal use of ABS to get safely around most turns.  The only problem I've seen is that now you have to be a little more cautious putting the throttle down as you come out of the turns.  That's due I think to the extra traction and higher torque and flat speed the new cars exhibit.  I...LIKE IT! 

Tourgott said:

Absolutely not true. Some drivers said that they like the way cars handle, but they never said they are easier to drive. They are not, that is why many experienced drivers like these cars more.
Cars this year have a lot more torque, way less downforce and don't forget the lack of blown diffusers (and you can really notice it if you re watchinf Interlagos' FP1 right now).

Bullshit. Nico Hülkenberg and Adrian Sutil said it many times:

Der Force-India-Fahrer konkretisiert: „Ich glaube, dass das Fahren einfacher geworden ist. Wenn ich es mit 2010 vergleiche, als ich debütiert habe, ist es nicht mehr so schnell, die Kräfte sind nicht mehr so hoch und dadurch ist es physisch nicht mehr so anstrengend.“
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1-ist-die-koenigsklasse-zu-leicht--5271881.html

Nico Hülkenberg:
"Driving got easier. It's slower, G-Forces are lower and it got physically less exhausting compared to 2010."

Tourgott said:
Tourgott said:

Der Force-India-Fahrer konkretisiert: „Ich glaube, dass das Fahren einfacher geworden ist. Wenn ich es mit 2010 vergleiche, als ich debütiert habe, ist es nicht mehr so schnell, die Kräfte sind nicht mehr so hoch und dadurch ist es physisch nicht mehr so anstrengend.“
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1-ist-die-koenigsklasse-zu-leicht--5271881.html

Nico Hülkenberg:
"Driving got easier. It's slower, G-Forces are lower and it got physically less exhausting compared to 2010."
Again, going by that context, he means that it is easier on the body, that it put less strain on him. Not easier to drive as in taking the car around corners. Less downforce obviously means its a lot easier on you. It certainly is not easier to drive. Just an interesting article from a reliable source as autosport : http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112403

I don't think i should further this conversation, as the different feeling of the car and how difficult it is to contain its all at once power output can be easily seen by looking at official t cam footage. Look at how much the drivers fight the car, even the Mercedes which is actually a jewel compared to the others.

hola said:
Look any tv cam from last weekends race, Texas. Real cars take corners insanely fast. Crazy grip. In the game everything feels slower.
You do realize that we currently have the wrong compounds in the game, right? 

Tourgott said:
Tourgott said:

Nico Hülkenberg:
Again, going by that context, he means that it is easier on the body, that it put less strain on him. Not easier to drive as in taking the car around corners. Less downforce obviously means its a lot easier on you. It certainly is not easier to drive. Just an interesting article from a reliable source as autosport : http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112403

I don't think i should further this conversation, as the different feeling of the car and how difficult it is to contain its all at once power output can be easily seen by looking at official t cam footage. Look at how much the drivers fight the car, even the Mercedes which is actually a jewel compared to the others.
No it's not. He and Sutil said "it's easier to drive" a few times - also on German television.