Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding it hard to set AI difficulty for my level and getting the balance right

I'm having trouble setting the AI difficulty , meaning AI pace in qually against the race
if i set my level of AI difficulty for qually then they are to slow in the race
if i set my level of AI difficulty for the race then there qually pace is to fast
how is everyone dealing with the balance of pace
thanks

What settings are you using for each? I have mine fairly low (because I need assists to keep out the walls lol) and I'm finding I'm competitive in qualifying and the race

I have it the other way round :D I'm really competitive in qualy, but sometimes struggle to match AI race pace. I'm often 0.2-0.3s quicker than my teammate in Q, while during the race I'm consistent, but always a little slower, especially in the final stage of the race. My fastest race lap is also significantly slower (losing rivalry points for that is kinda stupid). We really could use the difficulty change between sessions. 

@kubakw - I think you've got it the same as the OP. I would say I'm anything up to 0.5 quicker than team mate in quali but only about 0.3 in race, yet with Monaco Im 0.5 slower in Quali but more than a second slower yhan team mate in race (though I think Monaco is it's own issue altogether)

Same here. I've restarted my career 3 times now as I had the AI set too low. We need to be able to change the AI rating mid career/mid weekend. Apparently this was a feature in previous year's games. 

RichGee said:
Same here. I've restarted my career 3 times now as I had the AI set too low. We need to be able to change the AI rating mid career/mid weekend. Apparently this was a feature in previous year's games. 
Apparently you can hit the options button between race weekends in the loading screen and change it. Didn't try it myself though due lack of time haha.

The AI difficulty is schizophrenic atm and after 4 career restarts to try and find my level, I've given up. Like other posters I seem to be way too quick in quali and struggling in the race. Way too quick at some tracks and 2 seconds off the pace at others. Shelving this game for now, going back to American truck Sim... :D

Heinos said:
RichGee said:
Apparently you can hit the options button between race weekends in the loading screen and change it. Didn't try it myself though due lack of time haha.
I've just read this on another thread. I'll give it a whirl when I'm home. Thanks for the heads up @heinous

Glad I found this post. 

Going through similar sadly. 

Won’t pretend im a master an only using a ps4 controller so don’t mock my difficulty setting an use of mid to low assists. 

I started a career with sauber with the hopes of gradually working up the car an maybe myself to another team if I out grow the team. 

Started on difficulty 47. Quickly found that too be way to easy achieving 4th in Australia. Bumped it up for 58 difficulty for next race but still got 5th in 2nd An 3rd race. Baku I’m awful at but bumped the difficulty up to 69 an found it a good challenge race wise again. 

My gripe like others above is I qualify way too easily into q3 which in reality according to real life an the progress chart in game, my sauber shouldn’t be capable of. The races are a challenge (although I reckon I could still up the difficulty a tad)

my theory is generally in qualifying you have a clear track an no immediate pressure. During the race, especially first few laps you have plenty of cars to compete with. The causes minor errors etc an maybe makes people feel like their pace is less in races. Because it actually is. If that makes sense. 

I really don’t know whether to start my career mode again. I’m only up to Spain an during practice I feel it’s a lot more realistic on the difficulty I’m now set on, but overall the table is ridiculous as I’m sat in 4th after picking points up way to easily in the previous races. Equally if I restart I’m tempted with a mid table team but then that takes away from the starting at the bottom thing. 

For me qualy is too easy and the races almost right for the team I am with.

Of course the AI is more consistant I feel I can be much faster than them on some laps but cannot keep up the pace.

Think someone mentioned previously that A.I struggle to get a clear lap in without hitting traffic in Quali which might result you getting a higher than expected grid position.

ive just finished Austria race in career mode where I seemed way too quick in both quali and race and finished 3rd in McLaren (car is 4th fastest on grid)

in half of the other races ive managed to qualify in amongst the Red Bulls and occasional Merc/Ferrari. What then happens in race is that rather than chasing down the cars in front I would fall back a few positions in the race where I would end up behind the Red Bulls and more towards my team mate/Renault/Haas.

i could probably conclude that race A.I is fine (though by fiddling with car setup for acceleration in Austria has made me faster so I may need to imcrease difficulty again), but AI "mistakes" and traffic for them does give you a slightly false and higher up the grid position.

This is no more so apparent than Monaco, where I snuck in to the top 10 and fell back as the race went on - AI in Monaco needs to be properly looked in to otherwise I'll either simulate Monaco in  future or have to knock AI difficulty down - which will then give me an unbelievably high grid start.

The biggest gripe I have with the difficulty is that it is so inconsistent. Everybody wants to be able to change the difficulty between sessions and yes I agree it would be a workaround for the inconsistency but we shouldn't have to fiddle with difficulty settings in the first place.

When you find the difficulty that fits your pace all practice programs, quali's and races on all circuits should fit that pace. The formula 1 games are the only racing games where I need to fiddle constantly with race settings. 

Kinda my gripe. I don’t wanna start a fresh career an maybe face the same issues again. 

Currently im dead into my career but now I’ve found the right difficulty I feel like I’ve ruined my career as no way after 4 races should I be 4th in the standings in a sauber while my team mate has been nearly dead last every race. Further more because of the epic start I’ve had it wants me to pick a rival consisting of either hamilton, Vettel or bottas. Now the difficulty is about right I have no chance competing with them. 

Why can’t Codemasters bring back the “Young Driver Test” introduction to the game (or even have it as Pre-Season Testing) where you have to complete a few short timed sections, ...like Yas Marina previously, ...and have the game recommend/auto-adjust the difficulty for you based on how quick you complete the timed lap/sectors.

i have been using difficulty 75-85 in a middle team......found i'm 14th-10th position in qually....but in the race  i can come through the pack into the top 5 mostly......i seem to have good race pace and poor one lap pace or AI have poor race pace to there one lap pace 

i have been using difficulty 75-85 in a middle team......found i'm 14th-10th position in qually....but in the race  i can come through the pack into the top 5 mostly......i seem to have good race pace and poor one lap pace or AI have poor race pace to there one lap pace 
Would you be willing to do a test for me in relation to my problem? Go to Grand Prix mode, and use the same car, setup and track and do a full qualifying session and tell me if you're any higher in qualifying than you are in career mode?

@ipswich1992: I'll can try that tonight. My kid has claimed the PS4 to play Minecraft...

I'm pretty new to rancing games and I'm just starting with F1 - the way I set the difficulty was by doing the Practice tests - especially Tyre, Fuel, ERS and race pace. It doesn't depend that much in the AI opponents themselves, but the target time changes according to the AI difficulty, your car and maybe a few other factors. It does seem to be a more consistent way to measure my (lack of) skill from track to track.

Out of interest even in practice does the ai use hot lap/overtake ers modes and rich fuel when setting their laps?

At Bahrain and I am 1.5s off the pace of my team mate yet Melbourne we were evenly matched. 

Easy, start a carreer mode in a team you want and try your best in quali, if you are close to your team mate it's done. I would say if you don't want to try every track, in auatralia if you are 0.5 secs faster or slower than your team mmate, it's gonna be fine.

Out of interest even in practice does the ai use hot lap/overtake ers modes and rich fuel when setting their laps?

At Bahrain and I am 1.5s off the pace of my team mate yet Melbourne we were evenly matched. 
Practice is not representative for some reason. Only qualifying.

I skipped ahead to qualifying at Bahrain 110% still one second off. Bet there's only a handful of people that could outpace the ai round there at highest level. Figure I'm gonna have to drop it to 105% +0.5 off Bahrain and -0.5 ahead at places like Melbourne will just have to do. Really wish they could balance the ai, so you can pick the difficulty and leave it