Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2018 = Most Online Bugs Ever!

Hi @moogleslam. I'm glad your experience has improved from your first race! I've moved this over to the tech support area as we have more coverage on bug reporting in this section.

Looking at your list of issues, I think 1, 2 and 4 are fixed already and 7 should be fixed in 1.07. It's hard to work out with some of the others though as the "general stability" fixes we add may account for some of the improvements that you are seeing - they often cover performance updates, undocumented crashes and improvements to how some systems work, all of which should give a more stable game experience. That being said, there are still some known issues in the network area that we are actively investigating and which are covered by other threads.

Here are some other notes on your original issues:
  • For point 1 you mentioned special characters in the name that could be causing issues. Are you able to let us know what these are and we can take a look?
  • Point 4 might be a timing issue. If the disconnection occurs before the player has started the qualifying session then they will not be allowed to drop into a race. If the players were all active in the qualifying session then a video showing us the moment of disconnection as well as showing them rejoining and trying to take control of their car would be useful.
  • Point 6 is a result of allowing them to rejoin into the session. If we removed the AI then you wouldn't be able to rejoin. 
  • For point 11, if you could ask the driver to create a separate support thread for this then we can ask them for more details directly.
A few of the other issues are hard to judge from the report. If you see any of these again, please create a separate thread about these and include videos showing the incident from any players involved in the incident. We can then use these to ask for more info and get similar reports from other players, all of which helps us to track the issue down. In general, videos are our friends, so please try and provide these wherever possible. Being able to see the issue happening, and (perhaps more importantly) seeing what happens before it happens is really useful for us. 

Thanks.

Sorry - forum fail!  :/  I've moved it into the tech support area. 

No Worries Hoo, IWe appreciate you taking the time to be active and and answering some questions for us.

For our league race on PS4 last night I can confirm that it also ran smoothly.

Short Quali, Formation Lap, 50% race and didn't have any issues.  We had 17 in the lobby.

The only thing is that we had 2 dnfs (cars destroyed) that were in unsafe locations and would have resulted in a safety car without a doubt but nothing came out only a yellow flag.   No VSC either. 

To be honest though I would rather have a safety car that does not come out if it is still needing some improvements.

If you want to see the accidents, you can take a look at the stream from our race:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/309834236

Hoo said:
Hi @moogleslam. I'm glad your experience has improved from your first race! I've moved this over to the tech support area as we have more coverage on bug reporting in this section.

Looking at your list of issues, I think 1, 2 and 4 are fixed already and 7 should be fixed in 1.07. It's hard to work out with some of the others though as the "general stability" fixes we add may account for some of the improvements that you are seeing - they often cover performance updates, undocumented crashes and improvements to how some systems work, all of which should give a more stable game experience. That being said, there are still some known issues in the network area that we are actively investigating and which are covered by other threads.

Here are some other notes on your original issues:
  • For point 1 you mentioned special characters in the name that could be causing issues. Are you able to let us know what these are and we can take a look?
  • Point 4 might be a timing issue. If the disconnection occurs before the player has started the qualifying session then they will not be allowed to drop into a race. If the players were all active in the qualifying session then a video showing us the moment of disconnection as well as showing them rejoining and trying to take control of their car would be useful.
  • Point 6 is a result of allowing them to rejoin into the session. If we removed the AI then you wouldn't be able to rejoin. 
  • For point 11, if you could ask the driver to create a separate support thread for this then we can ask them for more details directly.
A few of the other issues are hard to judge from the report. If you see any of these again, please create a separate thread about these and include videos showing the incident from any players involved in the incident. We can then use these to ask for more info and get similar reports from other players, all of which helps us to track the issue down. In general, videos are our friends, so please try and provide these wherever possible. Being able to see the issue happening, and (perhaps more importantly) seeing what happens before it happens is really useful for us. 

Thanks.

@Hoo - thanks for the reply.  I'll just quickly go through all 12 points again with a little update.
  1. His name was something like ????????????  on Steam
  2. Haven't re-tested
  3. No disconnects during our second test
  4. Haven't had to re-test, but all 3 disconnected during qualifying.  I was the one who couldn't rejoin the race, and I was out on track in qualifying when I disconnected (though hadn't set a laptime yet).
  5. No disconnects during our second test
  6. This is the one I really wanted to respond to.  You're saying AI taking over control of cars in online races is by design?!?!  This never happened in F1 2010 to F1 2014 (I haven't really played since), and nor would we ever want it to happen in league racing.  We'd rather have drivers unable to rejoin, than have AI cars replace them!  If a driver disconnects, his car has to be removed from the circuit instantly!  Not only are AI drivers getting in the way, meaning they have the potential to ruin someone else's race, or even decide race wins or even championships, but they could even score points since there's no way to know who is human and who is AI!!!  Players join leagues to race against other humans, not AI!!!
  7. I saw in the patch notes this is supposedly fixed.  Nice.
  8. No update
  9. It's not a big deal since it's just spectate, but no fix for this yet?
  10. Any update to safety car deployment?
  11. I'm sure he's reading
  12. So far so good.
I think most drivers record, so I'll remind them to keep videos of any bugs (if there are any) for tomorrow's season opener.

If you only respond to one of these, please let it be #6.  That's a HUGE issue for league racing that needs to be resolved.

For point 6, it has been this way since 2015 or 2016. I'll put your suggestion to the design team, although we've typically had requests from the community to allow this behaviour to avoid ruining league races due to internet disconnections. If there is strong feeling about this then we could consider alternative options for the future.

Hoo said:
For point 6, it has been this way since 2015 or 2016. I'll put your suggestion to the design team, although we've typically had requests from the community to allow this behaviour to avoid ruining league races due to internet disconnections. If there is strong feeling about this then we could consider alternative options for the future.
It was the worst feature introduced. If people DSC (and get nothing from an online race) they sort their shitty connection issues out, otherwise they just rejoin and wreck the whole race. We banned rejoins for that exact reason in F1 2016. F1 2015 was so bad it didn't really get proper seasons, but then I guess you know it was awful.

People still don't get that WiFi is the single biggest reason for latency issues when playing.

Consoles are worse than PC. Biggest threat to PC stability is streams with insufficient bandwidth on the upstream; UK internet is not like the US or mainland Europe.

Maybe if the Ghosting is an option, how about AI control?

Hoo said:

I totally think this is the only reasonable use of ghosting in the game! AI is so stupid/blind so it (probably) always destroys the race for others. I like the possibility to rejoin the race back, but I wouldn't count the result for AI controlled car in finish when player has not rejoined back - many times the player was unable to connect back or other problems like missing button to use his car again (2017) totaly ruined many races in our league (mostly speaking about previous years, I am waiting to play multiplayer this year as our league hasn't started yet).

SmiX said:
Hoo said:

I totally think this is the only reasonable use of ghosting in the game! AI is so stupid/blind so it (probably) always destroys the race for others. I like the possibility to rejoin the race back, but I wouldn't count the result for AI controlled car in finish when player has not rejoined back - many times the player was unable to connect back or other problems like missing button to use his car again (2017) totaly ruined many races in our league (mostly speaking about previous years, I am waiting to play multiplayer this year as our league hasn't started yet).
People won't sort bad connections or stop streaming or stop using WiFi if they can just rejoin.

The UK has terrible internet compared to mainland Europe and the US. But the perception is if one can, all can. Internet of Mum & Dad has a bearing obviously, which is why I'm also an advocate of an online game that can be DLC added to year on year with dedicated servers. The casuals can have their careers and the crashers can keep P2P multiplayer.

But if cost is the only barrier to entry to dedicated servers then it will attract it's share of idiots just like all the other online only games.

CM can't be trusted with ranking players as this year's game attests to.

@steviejay69 But the problem in P2P is that you can't say, who make the problem. Wifi, NAT, poor connection.
Yes, you can say that to everybody to get a good connection, but how can you check, they are saying true (open NAT and good connection) or they lie when we are in lobby and everybody is green? OK, bad NAT is visible by game icons above the cars, but anyway when the player once connected and he can't do that again? That's broken. Also you can believe it will work in league racing, where you know the other players, but public multiplayer without dedicated servers is a hell (and that's why I don't play public lobbies).
I didn't wanted to mention it earlier because I still think, the most broken part of the multiplayer is the game connection and handling of the sessions by the game, but yes, dedicated servers are the only option for a reasonable multiplayer these days, because when 19 players has solid connections and one not, all 20 will have a solid race experience, while in p2p model the 19 players will ALSO have bad experience as there are problems with syncing the 20th player and the biggest problem is, they didn't caused the problem.
Well, multiplayer as DLC is interesting idea, but the pricing will be difficult, as I doubt CMs want to lower the price for singleplayer and multiplayer is lacking a lot from career (car wear, management of the parts at least). And most what it lacks is a reliability.

SmiX said:
@steviejay69 But the problem in P2P is that you can't say, who make the problem. Wifi, NAT, poor connection.
Yes, you can say that to everybody to get a good connection, but how can you check, they are saying true (open NAT and good connection) or they lie when we are in lobby and everybody is green? OK, bad NAT is visible by game icons above the cars, but anyway when the player once connected and he can't do that again? That's broken. Also you can believe it will work in league racing, where you know the other players, but public multiplayer without dedicated servers is a hell (and that's why I don't play public lobbies).
I didn't wanted to mention it earlier because I still think, the most broken part of the multiplayer is the game connection and handling of the sessions by the game, but yes, dedicated servers are the only option for a reasonable multiplayer these days, because when 19 players has solid connections and one not, all 20 will have a solid race experience, while in p2p model the 19 players will ALSO have bad experience as there are problems with syncing the 20th player and the biggest problem is, they didn't caused the problem.
Well, multiplayer as DLC is interesting idea, but the pricing will be difficult, as I doubt CMs want to lower the price for singleplayer and multiplayer is lacking a lot from career (car wear, management of the parts at least). And most what it lacks is a reliability.

Doesn't matter what the issue is, as long as it is there it is an issue and yes, one bad egg spoils the pudding.

CM does not have the resources to provide server capacity for all potential players or to buy scaling capacity for the same. Dedicated servers for the multiplayer element, clearly defined by the purchase of the separate product is the only model. The DLC would have to be the revenue stream from game development and membership to cover the ongoing server cost.

Dedicated servers will drop / kick bad clients. If a client cannot connect, membership would terminate. If you buy the game and cannot sort the connection, your bad.

There are some major bugs but not major enough for example maybe in multi player people come out speeding or they don't actually touch you but you have a accident but none of these really affect me majorly 

I cannot agree more about the perspective of the claim. It is very disappointed to have an unfair, untested, unqualified, dirty, discouraging games for all skill levels. 
The bugs listed are not the only issues found. The repetition of the company will be destroyed by any improper project management practicing. So, I am begging for a detail planning to take care of the quality and performance of the software, the team and all stakeholders. Thanks!

It takes me ages to find a ranked race!! It’s frustrating! My region is Europe, if I’m lucky il get it to one ranked race with over 5 people in but most of the time it’s just me and another player, surely more people are playing this game online it’s ridiculous