Sign in to follow this  

Wheel mount and setup

I am a controller player, always have been! BUT.. I am ever more looking into wheels and pedals, and of course what on earth to mount the wheel on so I can sit it right in front of my TV!

So question to you experienced with the wheel and comfortable setups, what are you using and how good is it really when put in its paces?
Plus bonus would be pics of what you are using, how you are using it. I have a large room but don't want to waste it all with a full blown professional seat but will consider it if available mounts just don't cut it.

A big thanks to any and all who reply with helpful shared experiences.

Im using a thrustmaster t300rs on my ps4 with the f1/gt rig from pagnianimports,  check their website. Have a butkicker installed too,  i wouldn't go back to controler ever lol, especially running the f1 rim, its full game immersion. It all depends on how much you wish to spend i guess, im waiting for the console version of fanatec's direct drive wheel to go on sale, the t300 performs flawlessly tho on any game. 

I have a thrustmaster TMX with the T3PA pedals and GT omega wheel stand pro cost me about £300 for the lot,wheel was second hand mind,but I have that set up in my front room can happily sit in front of my tele no problems,it’s fairly sturdy and haven’t had any problems so far.

I have had the thrustmaster TX base with the f1 rim attached to a wheel and pedal mount i got from thrustmaster as well.  Thing has been through the paces for last couple years and i never had any problems.

I live in an apartment by myself.  I got it set up with my favorite lazy boy right in front of a 65inch 4k sony.  Like gamer close.  So when i race i just put the mount right in front of me an race right from the lazy boy.  Its awesome!

I have the CSL Elite + Elite Pedals with load cell mounted on the gt omega wheel stand. I've tested almost every wheel on every game. If you wanna spend less go for the T150. If you want to spend more go for the t300 or Fanatec. Avoid the G29, i had it and it's in a range you don't want to be in. If you buy the G29 and then you love the wheel experience you will regret not buying the t300. If you don't like the wheel experience you will regret spending so much. The G29 is the best solution only if you want to complete the bundle with the H shifter.

Pedals are the most important thing of your setup. When I started I was wandering why people spend so much on a pedals set. Years after I understood the reason. Pedals are the key. You can survive a bad wheel but you won't survive bad pedals.

If you want to use your desk go for it and buy a stop carpet mat (I don:t know how to say it in English, I'm referring to the rubber mat that stops big carpets from sliding). That things cost a couple of euros/pounds and it's the true game changer. It stops the pedals allowing you to avoid using the wall (which damages cables.

If you don't want a seat go for a wheel stand. I've had both the omega and the wheel stand pro. Stay away from the wheel stand pro unless you are looking for the smallest which it is.

Look for possibile upgrades if you think you will love the wheel experience. In that case go for the T300 or a Fanatec (CSL better for consoles, CSW better for PC) and buy a wheel stand that allows you to add a seat and complete the full cockpit in the future. 

Don't make my mistake (and the one of many others), if you think you will love it leave yourself some room to upgrade your setup in the future.. 

sirio994 said:
I have the CSL Elite + Elite Pedals with load cell mounted on the gt omega wheel stand. I've tested almost every wheel on every game. If you wanna spend less go for the T150. If you want to spend more go for the t300 or Fanatec. Avoid the G29, i had it and it's in a range you don't want to be in. If you buy the G29 and then you love the wheel experience you will regret not buying the t300. If you don't like the wheel experience you will regret spending so much. The G29 is the best solution only if you want to complete the bundle with the H shifter.

Pedals are the most important thing of your setup. When I started I was wandering why people spend so much on a pedals set. Years after I understood the reason. Pedals are the key. You can survive a bad wheel but you won't survive bad pedals.

If you want to use your desk go for it and buy a stop carpet mat (I don:t know how to say it in English, I'm referring to the rubber mat that stops big carpets from sliding). That things cost a couple of euros/pounds and it's the true game changer. It stops the pedals allowing you to avoid using the wall (which damages cables.

If you don't want a seat go for a wheel stand. I've had both the omega and the wheel stand pro. Stay away from the wheel stand pro unless you are looking for the smallest which it is.

Look for possibile upgrades if you think you will love the wheel experience. In that case go for the T300 or a Fanatec (CSL better for consoles, CSW better for PC) and buy a wheel stand that allows you to add a seat and complete the full cockpit in the future. 

Don't make my mistake (and the one of many others), if you think you will love it leave yourself some room to upgrade your setup in the future.. 
Im running the t300 servo with fanatec csl elite load cell, best combo,    until the fanatec direct drive comes out lol

I am a controller player, always have been! BUT.. I am ever more looking into wheels and pedals, and of course what on earth to mount the wheel on so I can sit it right in front of my TV!

So question to you experienced with the wheel and comfortable setups, what are you using and how good is it really when put in its paces?
Plus bonus would be pics of what you are using, how you are using it. I have a large room but don't want to waste it all with a full blown professional seat but will consider it if available mounts just don't cut it.

A big thanks to any and all who reply with helpful shared experiences.
Playseat Challenge folds away with the wheel and pedals attached. If I sort my brake pedal out, this is perfect for me. However, price has gone up by 50% in last year as far as I can tell. 

I think it all depends on space. If you share the TV (living room) Id say wheel stand. If you use your own monitors or TV then a rig is probably justifiable. 

Can't disagree about the responses here, Logitech is very affordable as a complete set (wheel, pedals and shifter). Thrustmaster is better for wheel, but their pedals are inexcusable. Logitech mods are cheap and Thrustmaster have an add-on system for the T300 upwards. Hence I have a T300 the F1 Rim and a set of modded Logitech pedals with adapter all mounted on a GT Omega Pro Rig. I used to use my own 40" TV but I switched to a 24" Freesync monitor mounted on the rig. Gives the same FoV.

PC is the most versatile but the combo I have would transfer to a PS4. 

I think the only upgrade I would consider next is DD but feedback intensity isn't a necessity in F1 and maybe load cell pedals but TBH it's not really that affordable for the hours I don't play.

As a seat i can recommend the playseat challenge, its a seat and wheel stand in 1. Also i find it good quality for the price.

For a wheel, go with thrustmaster t300 with f1 rim:) 

Thank you so much guys for the info and advice especially setups and what to look for especially.

Can't for the life of me find the t300rs for sale lol! Must be amazing! But the Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Add-on wheel looks a very tempting sale if it works well on the PS4 for button configuration etc. Some awesome stands available too, I can see why these are recommended. My wishlist is nearly complete I think..

Thrustmaster TX Wheel and pedals mounted on a Wheel Stand Pro. Play sitting on a recliner I add a few pillows behind my back for back support. Depends on the room you have. I can leave my stand assembled and move it in front of me and plug it in when I play.
I had to drill 2 holes in the wheel stand pro plate to accommodate 2 small bolts for yaw stabilization. 

Thank you so much guys for the info and advice especially setups and what to look for especially.

Can't for the life of me find the t300rs for sale lol! Must be amazing! But the Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Add-on wheel looks a very tempting sale if it works well on the PS4 for button configuration etc. Some awesome stands available too, I can see why these are recommended. My wishlist is nearly complete I think..
The button configuration is a bit tricky - you can only assign the number of buttons that the DualShock3 controller has. I initial wanted to use the two D-Pads for ERS and fuel mix but that's not possible because they are "connected" - they use the same button allocation.

I'm currently using a  Thrustmaster TS-PC racer along with the T3PA-Pro pedals, however I started with a Logitech G920.  Drove the crap out of it and the pedals died, lol, excellent entry level setup though.

I mounted it on an OpenWheeler cockpit, rather compact setup that I found to be pretty affordable as far as a full cockpit can go.  Can also get the riser kit as the default kit sits pretty low to the ground, in the event you're using it in front of a higher set tv.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A30Z2RD5VMN23P&merchant=A30Z2RD5VMN23P

It's all been quite an excellent investment, made racing games incredibly fun.  Over time I eventually added a monitor stand to the cockpit instead of using a TV on a tv stand, made it even more immersive bringing the experience closer to your face.

Entire cockpit can fold up / taken apart into sections without tools and has wheels on the front for easily relocating or putting away somewhere.  

PC allows a little more flexibility in the button configuration with 'Advanced Mode' but some are duplicate and some are locked to default navigation in the F1 game.

I use L3 and R3 for fuel mix and triangle and X for ERS (you can still change camera e access to replay from the menu) 

sirio994 said:

G29 IS good wheel, so don't even try to downplay it. I have it, and I haven't had any "regret" not buying the T300. Albeit, it was bit expensive-ish, indeed.
That being said, T300 (RS, at that) would indeed be the best bet for op, as he can get quite good wheel, that is used. Of course, there's second hand G29's out there too, but T300 might be smarter way to go.
Both wheels, of course, has their own cons, just like both wheels has their own pros. T300, indeed has possibility to have any add-on wheel you want, as G29 don't have that possibility.

I have a g29 and a wheel stand very difficult for me to adjust with the wheel to be honest so don’t expect immediate results.

but I’ve had a friend that plays iracing try the wheel and he was saying that the game doesn’t do a great job with telling the player that they’re losing traction. I asked if it was the wheel as he said he has the same one and he though it was the game..

im still half a second of my pace atm after a while but it takes some practice but maybe go for a more expensive wheel if you’re looking for full experience maybe buy a better wheel

The g29 is a pretty good starter wheel and the pedals are top notch compared to the base tm pedals...I have a next level F1/gt cockpit with the optional tv stand...the rig is solid and well built and is pretty comfy once you get it adjusted just the way you want it...the rig also offers 3 different seating positions from a traditional gt setting where you sit straight up and the pedals are on the floor below your seating position or an F1 where your laying back and the pedals are up higher more parallel with your seating position or you can do a hybrid where you sit staight up and have the pedals up higher like an F1 setup...one thing about the g29 is the pedals do require some light modifying i.e. removing the hard plastic block in the brake spring that tries to simulate progressive breaking... and I'd also suggest the gteye spring upgrade to make the springs slightly firmer but that's not absolutely necessary

https://www.boysstuff.co.uk/gaming-chairs/playseat-gaming-chairs/playseat-challenge-simulator-racing-gaming-chair/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=merchant-feed&utm_campaign=PlaySeat+Challenge+Simulator+Racing+Gaming+Chair&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-_rwyv-r3QIVwbTtCh2Ebwt0EAQYASABEgILVfD_BwE

Like others have mentioned, I also use a Playseat Challenge.  I use it with a G29 and PS4.  It’s a great setup, the seat folds away nice and compact witch is great if you don’t have room to spare, it’s also good if you want to take it around a mate’s house for a race. 

I was worried the Playseat wouldn’t be sturdy enough but I’m 6’2 and 15st and it’s fine for me. A full on fixed seat would be better for a fixed setup, but the Playseat is great for a temporary setup. 

I‘ve bought an RSeat RS1 and use with an Accuforce Pro V2 and ECCI GTS 6000 pedals. It is an expensive seat but rock solid. If money doesn‘t count i would recommend this seat. 

ThrustMaster Ferrari F1 Add-On Wheel is a must for me I think.. ;)
However I am stuck on the base.. 
Thrustmaster VG T300RS Racing Wheel Servo Base for PS4 is a whooping £229.99! .. Just for a base..
However..
Logitech G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel and Pedals £179.99! < Anyone who has this G29, is the wheel removable AND if so suitable for the ThrustMaster Ferrari F1 Add-On Wheel?

ThrustMaster Ferrari F1 Add-On Wheel is a must for me I think.. ;)
However I am stuck on the base.. 
Thrustmaster VG T300RS Racing Wheel Servo Base for PS4 is a whooping £229.99! .. Just for a base..
However..
Logitech G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel and Pedals £179.99! < Anyone who has this G29, is the wheel removable AND if so suitable for the ThrustMaster Ferrari F1 Add-On Wheel?
You need a Thrustmaster servo base for the F1 Rim. The G29 wheel is non-removable unless you are happy modding it yourself.

There IS a mod kit to do exactly that but I'm not sure the button function would be 100% on console but I'm sure PC would be more compatible, however if anyone's done it they'd be the best placed to answer. Basically you'd have a G29 as far as the PS4 went.

I've been looking up videos of the G29.. It is tiny.. Is there an adult version or real to life size wheel out? Either that or all the vid guys are Andre The Giant lol

Thanks steviejay69 was seeing if I could save a bit of money but I won't be modding as never had a wheel before so will stick at my first, plus PS4 so not so easy to get the patch support so easy. Strange they made the Thrustmaster servo base for PS4 only available through TM making it more costly but the Xbox version is widely available at very competitive prices.

I've been looking up videos of the G29.. It is tiny.. Is there an adult version or real to life size wheel out? Either that or all the vid guys are Andre The Giant lol
It’s not really tiny.. it’s a decent size