Sign in to follow this  

Performance of this years game...

Curious to see what others think.

Whilst overall I genuinely do believe this years game is the best F1 game we’ve seen (handling, graphics, features etc), ..some of my main gripes so far are with the games optimisation and performance. 

I cant speak for all platforms as Ive only tried the game on PS4. but from what I’ve seen it seems to be across the board. 

I just feel like the game could definitely do with some optimisation and performance improvements to improve the overall package.  

The cut scenes seem slow and laggy with textures seemingly struggling to keep up, along with replays (although I need to see it this was improved in 1.05), the press interviews too, as well as random framerate drops here and there during the main gameplay. 

Anyone else experience this or know if things are better on other platforms?

Many thanks :)

UP100 said:
For me the game works better than last year
Must admit the screen tearing was particularly bad on last years game. I’m definitely amazed they managed to finally improve it dramatically for this years game. I guess overall the main gameplay is the best we’ve seen, surely working on optimising the cutscenes and press interview segments should be something that can we improved as the weeks progress :)

On the ps4 pro the performance is much better than F1 2017. I have no noticeable frame rate drops and the game in general looks stunning in my opinion. Almost on par with GT Sport. 

Freddus said:
On the ps4 pro the performance is much better than F1 2017. I have no noticeable frame rate drops and the game in general looks stunning in my opinion. Almost on par with GT Sport. 
...for sure not.
GTS is almost smooth as silk on PS4pro, while F1 2018 is nearly smooth while racing against the AI, but still with some hickups here and the there. I did not tested MP so far.
Replays are improved, but come on, they are still far from smooth, even on a pro.
Thats really annoying... as it seems, that kind of overlay filters are causing slow performance in replays and they are no joy to look at after a race.

Racer4711 said:
Freddus said:
...for sure not.
GTS is almost smooth as silk on PS4pro, while F1 2018 is nearly smooth while racing against the AI, but still with some hickups here and the there. I did not tested MP so far.
Replays are improved, but come on, they are still far from smooth, even on a pro.
Thats really annoying... as it seems, that kind of overlay filters are causing slow performance in replays and they are no joy to look at after a race.
It seems very smooth to me. Maybe it's your TV and you have some post processing effects enabled? 

Agree that GT sport is smoother and looks a bit better, but not by much in my opinion. 

In any case I was very pleasantly surprised by the General performance and visuals of F1 2018. 

Looks pretty good when there is no tearing, plays really well about 85 to 90% of the time. But the 10 to 15% of stuff breaks everything else for a lot of people. If you are running 5 laps against AI,. probably not too bad. Running longer races with all the bells and whistles? Expect issues.

They need someone to compile all the fixes they make at the end of each years run, and post that as a topic where we can let them know where something hasn't actually been fixed. This coming back each and every year with the EXACT same issues ported into the game is just shoddy workmanship.

FRACTURED said:
Looks pretty good when there is no tearing, plays really well about 85 to 90% of the time. But the 10 to 15% of stuff breaks everything else for a lot of people. If you are running 5 laps against AI,. probably not too bad. Running longer races with all the bells and whistles? Expect issues.

They need someone to compile all the fixes they make at the end of each years run, and post that as a topic where we can let them know where something hasn't actually been fixed. This coming back each and every year with the EXACT same issues ported into the game is just shoddy workmanship.
I don't know what to tell you. I play longer races, as long as 50 %, and in all conditions and I don't remember seeing any major issues. And I'm very sensitive to stuff like frame rate drops. 

I can can definitely see frame rate issues during replays, but not really during the actual gameplay. 

The only things I can think of that can be causing performance issues is TV settings and very wide FOV settings in the game. 

I always play in cockpit view with a significantly narrower FOV than what you get in the T cam, so it could be that. 

Playing on PC since F1 2013.
I must say that F1 2018 runs way better than F1 2017 on my PC. It runs on higher settings, looks better and it usually runs with >60 fps, which is more than last years game. 

Some of my friends (also on PC) confirmed this, so my guess is that the PC version is pretty good in terms of optimization and performance.

Maybe I was a little harsh on the gameplay side of things with the fps drops. I have noticed them here and there from time to time but definitely doesn’t hinder the gameplay hardly at all. 

The cutscenes and in particular the press interviews definitely need a fair bit of work though. Thought they might have been improved in the 1.05 patch but the press interviews still seem to run very poorly like they’re running at about 15 fps. 

Great performance on PC. Granted I turned shadow detail down,  but then I do that with most games to improve FPS.

2k res and no issues touch wood.

Maybe I was a little harsh on the gameplay side of things with the fps drops. I have noticed them here and there from time to time but definitely doesn’t hinder the gameplay hardly at all. 

The cutscenes and in particular the press interviews definitely need a fair bit of work though. Thought they might have been improved in the 1.05 patch but the press interviews still seem to run very poorly like they’re running at about 15 fps. 
To be honest I haven't even touched career yet, so I can't comment on that aspect of the game. 

Freddus said:

To be honest I haven't even touched career yet, so I can't comment on that aspect of the game. 
Loving the career mode, definitely the most fleshed out and fully featured experience to date :)  Just minor little optimisation tweaks here and there with the off track scenes and it would be very solid 

It is the best game for sure, I have so much to thank Codies for, primarily the AI! But the music, the way its all put together, the career mode path and the options available, giving the option now to take the timer off the questions ;)
But there is a fair bit of patchy screen play, replays are the worst but in racing it can seem to skip or jump as you are racing, or freeze for a split second. At the moment that is the only big issue I have seen so far but not a game breaker for me. Just needs a patch to smooth the frame rate or something.

Bit of an update. Been playing with the 1.05 update on PS4 and the replay videos now run super smooth. Really thinking it’s only a matter of time before the cutscenes and press interviews get similar improvements :)

Great performance on PC. Granted I turned shadow detail down,  but then I do that with most games to improve FPS.

2k res and no issues touch wood.
Agreed, Have an aging R9 290 and I average 57 fps in the benchmark test with all settings on Ultra except shadows and car reflections on High, 1440 resolution.  Performance is better than previous years.

yeah I've just had m yfirst taste of F1 2018 earlier only a couple of quick races but I can already tell it runs a hell of a lot smoother than 2017 does . There are still one or 2 frame rate issues but nowhere near as bad as 2017. Can't talk about career yet as I'm not going to start that until I have a bigger window of playing time with it. But so far I like it.

I took a break from f1 games an absolutely thrilled I’ve returned. Haven’t fallen in love with a game like this for a long time. 

So many positives. Looks an plays brilliantly. 

My my only gripes are not with those mentioned above (I’m on my original ps4 so things won’t be perfect in those senses) but with minor things like the cut scenes mostly being the same cut scenes I was seeing 2 years ago lol. An if the race start is pouring with rain, don’t show me cut scenes of all the pit crews an people being interviewed on the grid in polo shirts an ties without umbrellas. Little things but that’s how good the game is that I’m listing these things as complaints. 

I only played the beta version, and I'm a weird corner case as I played it via BootCamp on a Mac laptop. But with all those caveats, I was getting higher frame rates than 2017 on the same (fairly low) settings.

Aside: I'm guessing the Mac and Linux versions of F1 2017 didn't sell very well even though they managed to release the Mac version on the same day as the PC and console versions, as there's been no word from Feral about a 2018 port. Pity. (Probably didn't help that Codemasters kind of pretended the Mac version didn't exist in all their pre-launch F1 2017 advertising, presumably for weird contractual reasons.)