Jump to content Jump to content

Caterham's administrators have launched a last-ditch bid to secure a return to the Formula 1 grid ..

oeicoeic

I don't understand why some of you think it's embarassing. Surely, fighting with all means and trying everything is way less embarassing than to surrender at first chance.

Kudos to Caterham. I hope they'll make it, even though I doubt it would change much about their prospect of taking part in F1 in 2015.

The problem I have with this whole idea is F1 is a business, not a charity. If anyone's got spare money to donate there are a lot of wonderful charities out there changing people's lives. Not a fallen down F1 team looking to get to Abu Dhabi to finish 10th in the WCC, pick up a sweet $11m to pay off the creditors and close the doors on their operation. Anyone investing in that process needs their heads checking. 

While it's ridiculous though, I couldn't help but laugh at Bernie's observation that fan funding is a "disaster" for the sport's image. Coming from the guy who effectively runs F1 and undertook a bribery trial in a German court earlier this year. 

That's a bit of a cheap argument Seb regarding wonderful charities. There are way bigger and less deserving flows of money within F1 that could be instead used for more important purposes. Like who says drivers really need to earn 20+ M per season (I'm saying that, knowing that Lewis gets paid just as much too), or why does Ferrari need to get an extra amount of money every year just because of being Ferrari?

Compared to this, the money Caterham are hoping for can only be considered as peanuts. And: There is no pressure on those paying, because Caterham are just hoping to get money. There is no contract saying that people need to spend money on Caterham.

If you tell Ferrari to eff off regarding their extra-money or if you tell a driver like Hamilton, Alonso to settle for 10 M, things are going to get nasty, so the amount of pressure is very high in this respect.

That's a bit of a cheap argument Seb regarding wonderful charities. There are way bigger and less deserving flows of money within F1 that could be instead used for more important purposes. Like who says drivers really need to earn 20+ M per season (I'm saying that, knowing that Lewis gets paid just as much too), or why does Ferrari need to get an extra amount of money every year just because of being Ferrari?

Compared to this, the money Caterham are hoping for can only be considered as peanuts. And: There is no pressure on those paying, because Caterham are just hoping to get money. There is no contract saying that people need to spend money on Caterham.

If you tell Ferrari to eff off regarding their extra-money or if you tell a driver like Hamilton, Alonso to settle for 10 M, things are going to get nasty, so the amount of pressure is very high in this respect.
The difference is that's part of the business. Big driver salaries is just how the sport is. Having a charity fund go in to what is a failed business is what is wrong with this imo. Especially when it won't benefit their long term future at all. 

Again, I'm not telling people how to spend their money, they have every right to decide that. Just a heads up that it maybe isn't a great idea. Caterham are being utterly cynical. 

VetteIfan said:

The difference is that's part of the business. Big driver salaries is just how the sport is. Having a charity fund go in to what is a failed business is what is wrong with this imo. Especially when it won't benefit their long term future at all. 

Again, I'm not telling people how to spend their money, they have every right to decide that. Just a heads up that it maybe isn't a great idea. Caterham are being utterly cynical. 
This is exactly the problem with it. If Tesco went out of business would people really donate to them to get them running again. Its no different to that. Caterham have a cheek to ask for money for what is a business that was run very poorly, and was terrible at what they did. In my opinion, while everyone is allowed to do what they want with their money, anyone that donates is a mug