Sign in to follow this  

F1 2018 spotter support in Crew Chief

Hey guys,

I've added a quick-n-dirty spotter implementation for F1 2018 to Crew Chief. This uses the UDP data stream to derive relative car positions and play 'car left' / 'car right' type warnings. It doesn't include any of the other Crew Chief functionality - F1 2018 mode is spotter-only. I may add full support at a later date, but as the built-in game's 'Chief is very good, it's probably not needed.

Massive thanks to Exane and Drorzy for helping me test this. It's a first release so might be a bit buggy - give me a kick if you notice it doing anything weird.

The app can be downloaded from http://thecrewchief.org/

Jim

Nice!
To anyone wondering what this is (and haven't played any other racing type games) - this is basically what Jeff does in F1 2015-F1 2018, but for other games (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars (1 and 2), rFactor (1 and 2), iRacing, Raceroom Experience and so on) and usually detailed enough (except there are no forecasts for weather AFAIK and some other very small features like championship standings). It's a must for any racing sim game (like the ones I mentioned) in my opinion.

Spotters belong in Forza titles along with proximinty not SIM's in my opinion, ( Neither are in F1 in real life ) 
all they do is simulate bad driving, players just drive around with blinkers on with zero awareness of anything around them, just relaying on being told whats on thier sides/ hold your line he stills thier and when thier clear to pull back in, when the assist's fails the driver excepts zero responsibility and blames the other driver ( heard  seen and experienced numerous times from assits drivers ). 

These are just my thoughts which I understand 92% wont agree with.

It's something people can use if they want to. I'm well aware that spotters aren't a thing in real F1. But this is a game and it can be hard to see the mirror in some cases. Are you suggesting I should not have implemented it because it "doesn't belong in formula one"?

And for the ones that dont want to use it ? theirs no option to force it off so people are being forced to race with others that have blinkers on.

BluntRS said:
A spotter is a assit just like any other to make the game easyier for noobs.
 No for this particular game its a work around for no side mirrors or virtual mirror when in correct FOV settings. No drama required. 

kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:
 No for this particular game its a work around for no side mirrors or virtual mirror when in correct FOV settings. No drama required. 
Nah for this game thier a Noob assit just like any other game, mirrors are perfectly visible if you look, which is even easyier on you game pad due to the toggle,
or try mapping your buttons for look left & look right, No excuses required.

Your Welcome

BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:
Nah for this game thier a Noob assit just like any other game, mirrors are perfectly visible if you look, which is even easyier on you game pad due to the toggle,

Your Welcome
 The game finally gets some well known  people that do these near  professional apps spending time on it, Making free added features for players to use to get the most enjoyment out of the gameplay. Then here you are chiming in complaining about it and putting it down and even calling people that would use this added feature names and labels.  You should be thanking this man for spending his time bringing this to players wether you will use it or not.This is a perfect example of why the game has stayed in the rut it allways has been and why no one can take the game seriously. When someone that can add to the gameplay for players does you try to not allow them to.   
  • Agree 1

kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:

Your Welcome
 The game finally gets some well known  people that do these near  professional apps spending time on it, Making free added features for players to use to get the most enjoyment out of the gameplay. Then here you are chiming in complaining about it and putting it down and even calling people that would use this added feature names and labels.  You should be thanking this man for spending his time bringing this to players wether you will use it or not.This is a perfect example of why the game has stayed in the rut it allways has been and why no one can take the game seriously. When someone that can add to the gameplay for players does you try to not allow them to.   
This is F1 2018 not Project Arcade 2, F1 drivers dont have spotters, why are people so against racing realistically, whats next virtual mirror mybe chuck in a option to swap to AI driver for good measure aswell so you take a pee pee mid race.

BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:

Your Welcome
This is F1 2018 not Project Arcade 2, F1 drivers dont have spotters, why are people so against racing realistically, whats next virtual mirror mybe chuck in a option to swap to AI driver for good measure aswell so you take a pee pee mid race.
So because you dont see fit to use it in your gameplay, you dont want anyone else using it for theirs? So much so you put it down and call those  who might use it derogatory names like noobs? Thats your opinion of it and you cant expect other people to model their gameplay around your opinion and cut them down if they dont . If it works like the pcars one then you can even turn the spotter off and just use it to hear info on the race. Info that a real engineer would give you in real life.  

Love your app in R3E and PC2 Jim so I'm glad you were able to work in a spotter for F1 2018. With a virtual mirror yet to be seen this game, this is going to make racing wheel to wheel a lot more safer on PC at least.

For those of you who are complaining, a spotter won't make any of us faster or slower, same as a virtual mirror wouldn't. It'll allow us to drive more safely and cleanly around other cars and well, if you're an online player, you may actually be glad some of us using this may actually not crash into you accidentally because we can't see what is going on around us. Once again, if you don't like it, don't use it.

thanks for the support guys.

I only implemented this after it was requested a few times as some folks were saying that the default FOV makes the mirror hard (or impossible) to use.

I've assumed that the build-in race engineer does a better job than Crew Chief could, so I only implemented the spotter component. I don't actually have the game (my race rig is away from my monitor as i use VR) so I can't actually confirm this assumption :)

BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:

Your Welcome
This is F1 2018 not Project Arcade 2, F1 drivers dont have spotters
They don't have buttons to look left and right with wild jump-cuts, either.

Thier all racing with the same limitation's not making excuses.

Best Of Team Radio | 2018 Belgium Grand Prix McLaren pushed off cause the Merc simply didn't see him, they have the same visibility issues as gamers,

Real drivers learn from thier mistakes, gamers just ask for more assits.

BluntRS said:

Best Of Team Radio | 2018 Belgium Grand Prix McLaren pushed off cause the Merc simply didn't see him, they have the same visibility issues as gamers.

If that's a good reason for you, just don't use it. Actively protesting against something others might find useful is just silly, you might as well vouch for complete assist removal because real drivers don't have them.

It's still a game we're talking about and it needs to be accessible for everyone; ranging all the way from players who want complete realism and immersion to 4 year olds who saw an F1 car on television once and would like to try driving one. But I guess in your eyes that 4 year old would be a n00b for using chase-cam.

BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:

Your Welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrPHLcfqUl8

BluntRS said:

Best Of Team Radio | 2018 Belgium Grand Prix McLaren pushed off cause the Merc simply didn't see him, they have the same visibility issues as gamers.

If that's a good reason for you, just don't use it. Actively protesting against something others might find useful is just silly, you might as well vouch for complete assist removal because real drivers don't have them.

BluntRS Said
If game devolpers adding options to online racing so every could race how they wished with like minded players, theyd be zero complaint's from the minority,
remeber when a option to force of racing line off was first introduced the arguments it caused, now its become the norm no one takes any notice these assits or aids as some like to call them are no different, thier designed to make it easyier for the player.

It's still a game we're talking about and it needs to be accessible for everyone; ranging all the way from players who want complete realism and immersion to 4 year olds who saw an F1 car on television once and would like to try driving one. But I guess in your eyes that 4 year old would be a n00b for using chase-cam.

BluntRS Said
I agree 100% but with out host lobby options it simply doesnt work, how can you have realism and full immersion when 92% of the grid is running full assits / racing line helping them to see through the spray in a wet race add game tags for good measure / T Cam ( which alot say is faster ) for better viewing all that adds up to a huge advantage now players want even more vs players who have visibility restrictions ( same as real drivers ) due to the way they choose to race,
online is simply not a level playing field and never will be until every assit has a option to force it off online.

Sorry I didn't know how to do multi quotes.

Ho3n3r said:
BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:
kevinkirk said:
BluntRS said:

Your Welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrPHLcfqUl8
Martin Brundle Ive never heard in that before in Formula One, and no one is heard it since,
Sorry what is your point ?.

BluntRS dude in real life people can look around to see what's around them. Yes F1 has buttons for look left/right, but real drivers don't have to press a button to do that. Maybe it's not common in F1, but spotters are very common in some motorsports like Indycar. And in sim racing where clean racing is at a premium, crew chief is probably the single best mod ever created. Noob assist? That's funny seeing as many leagues for AC, rF2, etc. encourage people to use it. And the very funniest comment is "project arcade"?!? So F1 is a hardcore sim? LOLOLOLOL that's hilarious...

Edited by spizzlo
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, spizzlo said:

BluntRS dude in real life people can look around to see what's around them. Yes F1 has buttons for look left/right, but real drivers don't have to press a button to do that. Maybe it's not common in F1, but spotters are very common in some motorsports like Indycar. And in sim racing where clean racing is at a premium, crew chief is probably the single best mod ever created. Noob assist? That's funny seeing as many leagues for AC, rF2, etc. encourage people to use it. And the very funniest comment is "project arcade"?!? So F1 is a hardcore sim? LOLOLOLOL that's hilarious...

Dudes constantly on this forum being salty for no reason other than he can’t figure out how to enjoy a GAME and must constantly try to ruin everyone else’s fun lol...just ignore him, most of us do anyway lol

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, jrod22145 said:

Dudes constantly on this forum being salty for no reason other than he can’t figure out how to enjoy a GAME and must constantly try to ruin everyone else’s fun lol...just ignore him, most of us do anyway lol

Yeah, I couldn't help myself lol. I think that is genuinely the first time I've heard somebody knock crew chief. And the project arcade comment in an F1 forum was just too much. I like F1 don't get me wrong but come on. 

On 7/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, spizzlo said:

No whats hilarious is it took you that long to come up with such a weak, what ever that blah blah is 🤣

• Disagree 1

On 7/4/2019 at 1:44 PM, jrod22145 said:

Nah Dud am straight up vinegar ant it cuz, you get me :classic_rolleyes:

I pity the future with this level of intelligence.

• Disagree 1