Sign in to follow this  

[PS4] Aliasing on standard PS4

Question

@Hoo @Faya

I’m not too sure if this also affects the PS4 Pro, but on the base PS4 (whilst I know it’s not the most powerful console in the world) aliasing artifacts appear to be a lot worse on this years game compared to previous F1 games.

Where it comes to the finer details like the reflections on the top of the wheel when in cockpit cam as well as the poles in the distance in Bahrain is where it’s at its most noticeable and jaggedy. 

I know it’s only a minor gripe but I wondered if there was any way of smoothing or improving this effect in a future patch as I don’t remember any previous F1 games on PS4 having as noticeable of an effect. 

Many thanks. 

2 answers to this question

This is true on PC as well. Their TAA implementation definitely seems to be worse than 2017. It could be that they actually have bugs in their implementation.

Hopefully this could be something Codies could look into. I know it’s not gamebreaking but I really like the improved visuals this year but for me it’s just in need of a few minor tweaks to be spot on :)

I recall there being a similar issue either in the 2016 game or 2017 game that was later patched and fixed. TAA is not supposed to be this temporally unstable and blury (look at DICE's Frostbite engine for an example of a good TAA implementation). 

In the 2018 game I get distracted by the instability (aliasing in motion) far too often, usually on painted lines on-track, and sometimes on the edges of my car. It's bad enough that I'd be surprised if it wasn't a bug in their post-processing shaders.