Sign in to follow this  

To PC users

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a PC for online gaming but I don't have a clue what I Need to look into, what would you reccommend? Please give me as much detail as possible thanks :)

I need everything mate, as for budget it will be a savings job so whatever it's going to cost I will be saving up for it regardless of the price :) I wouldn't have a clue how to build one. Imagine your grandmother trying to build a car. It's not happening lol. 

Well to give you an idea here is what I would build, AMD 8350 8 core (£100), 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz (£90), Nvidia GTX970 4GB (£250) or 2nd hand GTX780 (£?), AMD 990FX mobo Asus Sabretooth (£100), Corsair TX850 PSU (£100), Coolermaster Seidon CPU water cooler (£35), Samsung EVO 256GB SSD (£100), 2TB HDD (£50).

The case, KB and mouse would be personal preference but a good Coolermaster case can be had with fans for under £50, nice mechanical keyboard around £50 and a Razer mouse around £50.

Monitor wise Asus or Benq 24" 1920x1080 144hz 3D ready for around £250.

This is a rough guide price but you would be looking around £1000-£1250 for a beastly PC, you could get a cheaper GPU or monitor to keep the price down to the £1000 mark. Also you can buy a cheap KB/Mouse combo for £30.

I built mine for less than £500 with mostly 2nd hand parts, plus I was given a case, already had the HDD and KB/Mouse and PSU.

It's important to not go too cheap on the Motherboard & CPU when building a computer. The reason is simply because changing the motherboard would require to reinstall everything & there's no upgrade path for the CPU if you get an i5 or a i7. Also an aftermarket cooler is preferred, since the stock cooler is often ridiculously noisy.

When buying a Graphic card look at the raw spec such as the bus width & the fillrate number. This allow better resolution & framerate from a start at lower setting. The stronger the Graphic Card, the less it will get input lag on higher setting.

Avoid mobile device such as portable as it is made for low consumption & not performance.

If you plan to live streaming or capture recording it is better to have more than 4 cores CPU.

16GB of RAM is the standard at the moment.

The computer case need air coming in & out like a vacuum. That's how to keep the computer running well for long gaming session.

MrDeap said:

It's important to not go too cheap on the Motherboard & CPU when building a computer. The reason is simply because changing the motherboard would require to reinstall everything & there's no upgrade path for the CPU if you get an i5 or a i7. Also an aftermarket cooler is preferred, since the stock cooler is often ridiculously noisy.

When buying a Graphic card look at the raw spec such as the bus width & the fillrate number. This allow better resolution & framerate from a start at lower setting. The stronger the Graphic Card, the less it will get input lag on higher setting.

Avoid mobile device such as portable as it is made for low consumption & not performance.

If you plan to live streaming or capture recording it is better to have more than 4 cores CPU.

16GB of RAM is the standard at the moment.

The computer case need air coming in & out like a vacuum. That's how to keep the computer running well for long gaming session.

With Win7 and above you don't have to reinstall as most of the drivers are recognised, more a case of removing old drivers from a previous mobo especially if you go from AMD to Intel.

I agree about the Intel route although there is a new socket which supports Intel 8 core but the CPU's are £400 plus which is why I recommended going for AMD FX8xxx, you could go with FX9xxx but thy are power hungry and hot and are basically FX8xxx chips overclocked and going FM2 for an AMD APU at the moment would not be for gaming.

The I7 4770K is a great gaming CPU but is still around the £250 mark and the socket is now obsolete so as you say no further upgrade possible.

The best board you can buy for AMD is the 990FX and the top FX8 series is the FX8350 although these are really now obsolete they are good value for money.

I had a P4 3GHz upgraded to i7 920 to now a i7 3930k. I couldn't rerun the OS on each & require a full install.

There is great thread over on the off-topic section for PC building and such, could be worth having a look in there:
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/75/the-pc-thread/p1

Loore said:
There is great thread over on the off-topic section for PC building and such, could be worth having a look in there:

33 pages, lol, good thread, I may be a while....

Loore said:

What an awfully long thread XD

Also, I must correct: The best FX-8XXX available is the FX-8370 for now (though the only difference to the 8350 is a slightly higher boost clock :expressionless: )

Yes, the 8370 and 8370E were recently launched but the 8370E is the energy efficient CPU 95w as opposoed to 125w which is lower benching than the 8350 and the 8370 is an overclocked 8350, nothing new really and for the price the 8350 is the better bang for buck, it is about £50 cheaper than the 8370 and will clock past 8370 speeds, but then so will the 8370 clock higher,  but you are correct it is the highest FX 8xxx.

I think for a budget build though the 8320 or 8350 would be a better bet at the moment until the price of the 8370 comes down, personally I wouldn't touch the FX9xxx unless you need extra heat for the winter lol.

I have the 8320 and run it at full speed with turbo disabled and run the RAM at 2133mhz which is a bonus as I have an FX6300 in the house PC and can't get the RAM past 1866mhz, they both run great though, would like an I7 but I think they are a bit overpriced still.