Sign in to follow this  

How Codemasters destroyed the magic of the game

Hey guys, in this statement I'm directly referring to a video brought up today by Foxydude98. I originally posted it as a comment, but thought it's also worth sharing here.
Please respect that this is MY opinion. You can answer in a constructive way by giving arguments that support my opinion and by giving arguments that are against my opinion. Simply no hate wanted here.
The video I'm talking about is linked below my statement.

I had this thoughts for longer time, but now it's time to post it.
First of all, I don't have much subscribers (57 currently) and I'm not uploading after a plan. Basically just whatever comes to my mind whenever I have time and fun to do it. I was really enjoying creating videos. Especially when I've done at the end of F1 2017 lot's of graphics, I recreated all the officially graphics like all those overlays, tables and everything you can see in the F1 broadcasting. It took me hours to get those perfect and I really enjoyed doing them. And then at the end of the day I got like 7 views on such a video, which took hours to create. And at the end I thought, why have I done it, wasn't it basically a simple waste of time? And although it's in slightly another context, I know that feeling to well.
To come back to F1 2018, I especially got that feeling as a viewer. Codemasters give out those early copys to teaser the community and make them hot to buy the game. But to me, and also to some of my friends I spoke to, it did the exact opposite. I am one of those guys who likes to discover games on his own. I like to discover new feautures, simply enjoy the game new as it is. But by this amount of videos before, there was simply no way to discover it on my own, as everything was leaked and shown before. You may say, well, simply don't watch it then. But thats nearly impossible, as you get overflooded with that content everywhere on social media.
How hard can it be to simply say we release the game on the XX.XX.XXXX for EVERYONE. Or release a demo version before, but public and for EVERYONE.
In my opinion Codemasters just destroyed the magic of the game it had when I played that early games from F1 2010 - F1 2013. I didn't knew what expected me back then and I was simply able to enjoy the game. 

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7RAF-37YMY

Its free advertising. Whether reviews are good, bad, or brown enveloped, doesn't matter as long as its being talked about. 

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Honestly I can't see this as anything else than an ad for your youtube channel. You can just ignore all the videos like I did... I don't like the F1 game youtuber community anyways.

So basically your whole video is a rant about the fact that codemasters give the game out to a number of youtubers a week early and you get angry because they get all the views/subscribers instead of you?  Nothing at all in your video addressing the the game itself, just an angry rant about you being jealous that you have no viewers.  Lol kid

Then you get angry because the "magic" of the game is spoiled because you watched these pre release videos instead of discovering the game yourself.  Well maybe don't watch them, duh?  .

Yeah I do disagree with this entirely. You think that people will only watch the YouTubers that have early copies, they will likely get the most views purely due to interest by people unsure if they want to purchase it yet. Those that have the game will likely be too busy playing it..

As for these early guys, personally I watch only to see whats going on. But as for the longevity of viewing I will watch far more of the clean racers for some good wheel to wheel racing. I've no interest in watching a full video of practice through to race when I can do it myself.
If you want to be a popular YouTuber you need only to be unique, give what the viewer wants to see and show things they have not seen yet, have a good clear voice and good quality screening. I won't watch a video simply because its got the most hits. I'm definitely not the only one.

As for the game, I think Codies are happy with the release, they are making good money from what I have seen for the volume sold. "the game hit number one in eleven countries: the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Denmark and Finland."

Dont watch the YT videos if you want a surprise when the game is released, it really is that simple.

What’s there to be surprised about?  If it was videos showing how to progress in Assassins Creed, or that sort of story based gam, you would have a point. But it’s a racing game, there is no story to reveal, just a race to do. 

What a load of bleddy nonsense. 

Reality check: Advertisers aim to maximize exposure, so they naturally target outlets with the widest relevant reach, and if your primary purpose for creating content is to make ad-sponsored money, then your only value to advertisers is your audience.

As an ad-sponsored content creator, you're in business primarily to attract advertisers, and you will compete with other ad-sponsored content creators who are also in business to attract advertisers. That's the game you signed up to play as an ad-sponsored content creator.

Sponsors are not there to help you grow - you're there to help sponsors grow, and those who can help sponsors grow more get more sponsors. Outlets that wish to attract more advertisers must first attract bigger audiences for advertisers to market to.

If you want to grow your channel, then create more & better content for your channel and market your channel better. Then maybe you'll attract more advertisers and you'll get more early access that will, in turn, help you grow your audience even more.

As for pre-launch coverage, it would be nice if it was aimed more at helping potential buyers make informed buying decisions, but instead, it's typically just to get the hype train rolling & prime the pre-order pump & boost launch-day sales. If there was no pre-launch coverage, then pre-orders & launch-day sales would suffer, and fans would be complaining (more) about "silence" from game companies leading up to launch.

its not near impossible to not watch something you have to push play to watch. Infact its the exact opposite of near impossible.

No it didn't kill the magic of the game... it kinda hurt your Youtube money(It probably made Codemasters some more, which is what they were aiming at), that's true, but didn't hurt the game for anybody else in any way.

I saw this topic yesterday. Didn't watch the video because well it's from a youtuber that is angry because he didn't get an early copy. I don't even understand why early video's of an F1 game would destroy the magic of the game. It's just racing, not the plot of the new spider man game.

I refuse to watch this video because it is not an honest video like those we saw from the early video's. Those video's informed us how the game felt so we could make informed buying decision. Why would I watch a video about why you did not get an early copy? There are millions of videos on youtube on why life ain't fair. Why would we watch yours?

And why do you have a second account (HillZero) on here to manipulate the scoring of reactions on your topic? Guess we know now you actually have no views at all and need to make fake accounts to manipulate your views just like you manipulate your topics.

Yeah I do disagree with this entirely. You think that people will only watch the YouTubers that have early copies, they will likely get the most views purely due to interest by people unsure if they want to purchase it yet. Those that have the game will likely be too busy playing it..

As for these early guys, personally I watch only to see whats going on. But as for the longevity of viewing I will watch far more of the clean racers for some good wheel to wheel racing. I've no interest in watching a full video of practice through to race when I can do it myself.
If you want to be a popular YouTuber you need only to be unique, give what the viewer wants to see and show things they have not seen yet, have a good clear voice and good quality screening. I won't watch a video simply because its got the most hits. I'm definitely not the only one.

As for the game, I think Codies are happy with the release, they are making good money from what I have seen for the volume sold. "the game hit number one in eleven countries: the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Denmark and Finland."

Yeah I was unsure at first  as to whether I wanted the game or not but after watching some of Aarava's vids he did a great job promoting it for me. Admittedly I'm still watching him as I always tend to watch the first couple of seasons or so that he does of career but also because I've not had a chance to start mine yet. I don't watch all of his careers I tend to just watch the couple of seasons or so of them mostly to get a handle on how the game plays and looks.  I do intend to start a couple of career modes but I'm thinking I'll likely start those around the same time as I start on Fifa 19 and just have a little sporty spell. Because atm I'm finishing up a playthrough on one of my other games so I can clear the way and play a bit of Fifa's 17 and 18 too first as I wanted to do a run of Seasons 1 and 2 of the Journey again before Season 3 drops with Fifa 19 but as long as I get round to that by around a week before Fifa 19 comes out I should be OK as it only takes me about 3 or 4 days to get through each of the journey seasons. At least with seasons 1 and 2 that's the case anyway.

Each car sounds distinctive, while pit crew chatter keeps you well informed during a race. Menu music is nice enough, and commentary setting up events makes F1 2018 feel like a proper TV-style broadcast.

While F1 2017 looked incredible, F1 2018 is a cut above, providing the best-looking Formula One experience you'll have ever seen. It's not only incredibly smooth, but the attention to detail in the game's cars, circuits and Career mode cut-scenes is second to none.

Whatever settings you opt for, F1 2018 handles like an absolute dream, striking a pitch-perfect balance between accessibility for new players and enough complexity for the hardcore. Gameplay sliders and optional assists enable you to tailor your experience.

Even more content and modes, as well as increased depth to the core Career mode ensures that this year's game covers every conceivable base and then some. The entire thing is polished to a startling level too.

There's overlap between previous games in many of the objectives on F1 2018's list, but as ever, there's a nice smattering of smart achievements to tackle. A good, solid list as always with excellent spread.

MOST reviews are all a lie nowadays, getting views and clicks is more important than impartiality or maintaining your standing and trust with those who read your reviews. . 

"While F1 2018's depth can seem daunting, it's really not. And when you consider the sheer wealth of modes and race types on offer too, from Career to a single weekend Grand Prix for longer, more involved race experiences; to the more immediately gratifying one-off, limited-time Event races; addictive Time Trial mode; multi-discipline Championships; and online Multiplayer for up to 20 players; no stone has been left unturned. :|
  :| :| :| :#

At time of writing, we were unable to find a multiplayer race online :#
  :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

, unfortunately, but it appears that Codemasters has addressed the aggressive jostling and unsportsmanlike conduct that inevitably comes with racing against other players, by rewarding clean driving, and sporting behaviour over ramming others out of the way in a insane dash to the finish line. As such, multiplayer already sounds like an improvement, and whether you fancy investing time in ranked or unranked races, or longer Online Championships, you'll be well-served here. Add the live online leaderboards for the game's Event and Time Trial modes, and you have a whole raft of reasons to keep on plugging away against rival racers. 

At least with the streamers we can watch live and experience the bugs as they happen.