Sign in to follow this  

Tyre temperature on city circuits

Hi guys,
I'd like to know if you (especially pad drivers) also struggle on tracks like Monaco and Baku with your temperatures. I'm driving on ice to keep the tyres under 100°C and lose time of course. 
I think it's really unrealistic considering irl they are doing 2 warm up laps to be able to do a qualifying lap.

I really think they should patch this.

Wait till you get to Singapore! I play on the pad, 108 difficulty, have done the first two tyre wear upgrades. Hyper Soft's were done in an instant despite driving so smoothly, same with the soft's when I put them on. Rain saved my race but even then I was getting 84 degrees on intermediate's!!

yeah there are at least 5 threads already about this topic lol 
I hope Codies are working on a solution. Either turning it down and making it optional.
It has gotten so bad for me that I only do 5 lap races in Monaco and Singapore everytime I get there. And even then there's a train of about ten cars behind me while the driver in front is over 5 seconds ahead. I really like the feature, but it's just way too punishing for those playing on a pad and/or those who don't have the smoothest driving style. I've changed mine a lot in the last three weeks but it hasn't worked for me on those two tracks. Melbourne and Baku are more or less okay, but Monaco and Singapore always end in tears.

Street circuits are notoriously slippery so yeah it will affect your racing, however smooth you are, R&D chassis>tyres will help you but if you still struggle you may just have to go an extra pit stop to counter it. Some cars are better than others too, naturally. The McLaren was a heavy burden to get around Monaco even with a 2 stop it was pushing it a little at the end. But the Ferrari was no issue at all for me to do a 1 stop.

Yeah, there are a lot of threads on it. As a pad user. You have to do a lot of work with setup, driving style, and tire strategy(ie use the harder tires) to manage them.  As a pad user, you're pretty much just looking for damage limitation on those tracks. Dont expect a to win or have a great result. You'll finish a bit lower than normal and unlikely to be able to keep up pace unless its raining. Stealing a few points if you're in mid field car will be like a win. 

You aren't going to like this. Just drove several laps around Singapore using a pad  and tires never over heated.  Don't know where you all have the AI set, I'm guessing close to at the 110 limit.

I'm slow, really slow.  Probably 10 to 15 seconds a lap slower than someone running AI at 110. So if you guys were really slow like me you would not have tires overheating. And yes I use a xbox controller on my pc.

Pad user, Xbox one, Elite assists, Completed multiple 50% races at singapore, Baku and monaco and not had any tire temperature problems. I don't know if there is a genuine issue or wether maybe some players aren't being patient enough. But I really hope Codies do not change it. The handling with no assists is the series best yet by far. 

ArthurRay said:
You aren't going to like this. Just drove several laps around Singapore using a pad  and tires never over heated.  Don't know where you all have the AI set, I'm guessing close to at the 110 limit.

I'm slow, really slow.  Probably 10 to 15 seconds a lap slower than someone running AI at 110. So if you guys were really slow like me you would not have tires overheating. And yes I use a xbox controller on my pc.

Well lucky you, but I don't wanna turn the AI don't by 20-30% just because my tyres melt have five laps lol
I race on 101-104% AI, depending on the track/team I'm driving.

@HAMW05WC2014
I think it's a general issue. If you don't have any problems then that's good for you, but seeing how many threads there are and how many people ask for some kind of help, I don't think CM can leave it like that. I just hope they really work on that and use all the feedback they get. Like I said, I try to drive as smoothly as possible and set my car up as tyre-friendly as I can, but there's just a certain moment where the front tyres lose all grip. It's either lose 2 seconds per lap and try to manage your tyres from start onwards or drive normally at first and then lose about 3-5 seconds per lap after 5-8 laps.

rfvgt said:
It's either lose 2 seconds per lap and try to manage your tyres from start onwards or drive normally at first and then lose about 3-5 seconds per lap after 5-8 laps.
That sounds exactly like f1 IRL. I still think there is more they can do to improve tyre feedback for the pad to make it a little more intuitive 

FRACTURED said:
rfvgt said er:
It's either lose 2 seconds per lap and try to manage your tyres from start onwards or drive normally at first and then lose about 3-5 seconds per lap after 5-8 laps.
That sounds exactly like f1 IRL.
Yes but as always these things don't apply to the AI. Just like they didn't have to deal with tyre a few years ago (and to a lesser extent still today), they don't have to deal with overheating tyres because of their ultra-smooth driving style. They can easily keep the pace, perhaps slow down a little bit because of tyre wear, while you give 120% to just keep with them and because of that you hurt your tyres even more. It feels unfair. That's the point. It's frustrating that the AI seemingly races with different rules once again.

rfvgt said:
FRACTURED said:
rfvgt said er:
Yes but as always these things don't apply to the AI. Just like they didn't have to deal with tyre a few years ago (and to a lesser extent still today), they don't have to deal with overheating tyres because of their ultra-smooth driving style. They can easily keep the pace, perhaps slow down a little bit because of tyre wear, while you give 120% to just keep with them and because of that you hurt your tyres even more. It feels unfair. That's the point. It's frustrating that the AI seemingly races with different rules once again.
You shouldn't be racing on 104% AI. AI over 100% is for exceptionally talented Lewis Hamiltonesque type drivers playing with a very good force feedback steering wheel and pedals. 

You have 4 choices here: 

1. Lower the AI 
2. Get much better on pad.
3 Get a ff steering wheel and pedals
4. Accept not being as competitive as before. 

rfvgt said:
FRACTURED said:
rfvgt said er:

How many games are there where AI are running full tyre sim though? AI aren't using pad, it'll be closer to what wheel is doing so they aren't ploughing understeer first into tyre death like many of us were on pad. 

At least ability to change AI Difficulty between sessions is back  ;)

Whereas mixed wheel/pad leagues... It could be tough going on a pad round these tracks over a 50% with other humans. 

Well I'm usually doing just fine on my AI settings (I guess that makes me an exceptionally talented Lewis Hamiltonesque driver ????). I qualify and finish right where the team does in real life and on all the other tracks tyre temps aren't an issue at all. I raced on 100% in F1 2017 but except for that whole overheating tyres bit the AI is a lot easier this year.
So you think I should lower the difficulty from 103 to about 80 before the race (which I still can't do on PS4 btw), so that I'm several seconds per lap faster than the AI at the start, only for them to be that much faster at the end of every stint? That's not really what this game should be about.
Don't get me wrong, I like that CM have included this aspect. It's a big part in real life so it should be featured in the game as well. But there are also those who just wanna play the game without having to worry too much about it. They've managed a pretty solid compromise between sim and arcade in the past, so I just hope they find one for this problem as well.

I also don't wanna buy a full rig. I'm ine of those people who don't have the space, the money or the time for that. 

rfvgt said:
Well I'm usually doing just fine on my AI settings (I guess that makes me an exceptionally talented Lewis Hamiltonesque driver ????). I qualify and finish right where the team does in real life and on all the other tracks tyre temps aren't an issue at all. I raced on 100% in F1 2017 but except for that whole overheating tyres bit the AI is a lot easier this year.
So you think I should lower the difficulty from 103 to about 80 before the race (which I still can't do on PS4 btw), so that I'm several seconds per lap faster than the AI at the start, only for them to be that much faster at the end of every stint? That's not really what this game should be about.
Don't get me wrong, I like that CM have included this aspect. It's a big part in real life so it should be featured in the game as well. But there are also those who just wanna play the game without having to worry too much about it. They've managed a pretty solid compromise between sim and arcade in the past, so I just hope they find one for this problem as well.

I also don't wanna buy a full rig. I'm ine of those people who don't have the space, the money or the time for that. 
Forget f1 2017, this is f1 2018 and the tyre modelling is more realistic. So if you want to keep on driving the way you did in f1 2017 you'll have problems. 

And the reason why the AI are slower at the start is because they're looking after their tyres, which you don't seem to be doing. 

And even if the AI is slower at the start, then that's an AI issue not a tyre simulation issue. There is nothing  wrong with tyre simulation in f1 2018. If anything it's actually on the forgiving side compared to real life. 

@Freddus
I was just comparing 17 and 18 based on their overall speed. And not just race, in qualifying also. Unless the AI save tyres on their flying lap, it really is easier this year.

And I do look after my tyres a lot this year. I only push real hard in qualifying and during the qualifying programme in practice. Otherwise I don't move my analog stick fully to the side, I avoid curbs as much as possible and I make sure my car doesn't slide. I also set up my car mostly thinking about the front tyres. After the start of the race I usually just follow the cars in front, lift & coast before corners and take every apex as cleanly as possible. After five laps or so, when the field isn't as bunched up anymore, I slowly start to drive a bit faster, just like the AI. That works for a few laps and then they just drive away into the distance, while a Trulli Train is building behind me. And then it's downhill from there.

I just wish for an option to decrease the effect of overheating OR for tyres to heat up slower. At least offline, online can stay as it is.

rfvgt said:
@Freddus
I was just comparing 17 and 18 based on their overall speed. And not just race, in qualifying also. Unless the AI save tyres on their flying lap, it really is easier this year.

And I do look after my tyres a lot this year. I only push real hard in qualifying and during the qualifying programme in practice. Otherwise I don't move my analog stick fully to the side, I avoid curbs as much as possible and I make sure my car doesn't slide. I also set up my car mostly thinking about the front tyres. After the start of the race I usually just follow the cars in front, lift & coast before corners and take every apex as cleanly as possible. After five laps or so, when the field isn't as bunched up anymore, I slowly start to drive a bit faster, just like the AI. That works for a few laps and then they just drive away into the distance, while a Trulli Train is building behind me. And then it's downhill from there.

I just wish for an option to decrease the effect of overheating OR for tyres to heat up slower. At least offline, online can stay as it is.
Overheating already is decreased in the game compared to real life. Clearly you are not looking after your tyres, because if you were they wouldn't be overheating. 

The option to decrease tyre overheating is not necessary because you already have the option to decrease the AI. 

You cant crank the AI up to a level way beyond your diving ability and then expect the devs to give you the option drop this and increase that to make easier for you to win. Otherwise you might as well ask them to give the option to increase the amount of grip you car has to make it easy for you to win on 110AI. I really don't see point, because at the end of the day you will not get a trophy and one million dollars for winning on 104 AI instead of winning on 90 AI . 

Freddus said:
rfvgt said:
@Freddus

Overheating already is decreased in the game compared to real life. Clearly you are not looking after your tyres, because if you were they wouldn't be overheating. 

The option to decrease tyre overheating is not necessary because you already have the option to decrease the AI. 

You cant crank the AI up to a level way beyond your diving ability and then expect the devs to give you the option drop this and increase that to make easier for you to win. Otherwise you might as well ask them to give the option to increase the amount of grip you car has to make it easy for you to win on 110AI. I really don't see point, because at the end of the day you will not get a trophy and one million dollars for winning on 104 AI instead of winning on 90 AI . 
But the AI isn’t beyond his ability he said he said he was on par with his team and real life form of the team. 

tarrantino said:
But the AI isn’t beyond his ability he said he said he was on par with his team and real life form of the team. 

Thank you! ?

Anyway, I'm just gonna go ahead and end this discussion since we're clearly going in circles here.

Freddus said:
rfvgt said:
@Freddus

He also said that he was looking after his tyres, which isn't true because if he were they would not be overheating. People say many different things. 

And as ive said before, if there are issues with the AI then that's a completely different discussion, because there is nothing wrong with the tyre simulation. 

I play on PS4 using a pad mostly and too struggle with Monaco and Singapore. I seem to be okay at Monaco right up until the next turn after the hairpin where my tyres have no grip and I skate straight into the barrier 8 times out of 10.  ...BUT I personally believe it’s down to me just struggling on tracks like it, I need to work on my style and perhaps be less aggressive and not throw the car around desperate to keep up with the speed.  
I really don’t want Codies to change anything in terms of gameplay or the handling to make it easier, for me it’s the best F1 game so far in terms of handling and managing tyres/temperatures. 
Just my personal opinion

The tyre are overheating for différent reason,  your setting,  your driving etc.... Like irl,  you cant attack all race.  You have also to adapt your setting on your drive and be very smooth on the steering.  And more the tyre is softer , more it is heating. 

Freddus said:
there is nothing wrong with the tyre simulation. 
I agree! I never said anything different.
But I just don't know why I have to justify myself for hoping for that option. I wouldn't even use it 95% of the time. I'm really really trying my best but it's just not working on those two tracks. And apparently it's the same thing for hundreds and possibly thousands of other players.
There's an option to reduce the AI difficulty, to reduce damage, to reduce penalties, to use flashbacks, there are driving aids. I don't hear any complaints about all of that. An option for reduced tyre temps would fit right into that category.

I'm a huge fan of games that let players customize it to their liking, at least offline. If you can't change that during online races, that's fine. As a pad racer you kind of expect to have slight disadvantages vs. players with wheels anyway.
But who cares how other players play their career mode? Just let people play the game how they wanna play it ✌?

rfvgt said:

I wedged my setup in the cubby under the stairs :dizzy:
The 40 inch perched on top of a stool is just the right height and TV JUST fits the width, then a cheap table screwed to existing skirting board frames, a few bits of wood to invert mount pedals and screwed to table, and took a chair from work last time they were giving them away pre upgrade! Nowt wrong with doing it on the cheap first. 
Played the first week and a half on pad so been through the tyre issues. Now using wheel I'm 3-5s slower, and dealing with different issue anyways  :'(

But at least my tyres are good. 

Can't win lol. 

rfvgt said:
Freddus said:
there is nothing wrong with the tyre simulation. 
I agree! I never said anything different.
But I just don't know why I have to justify myself for hoping for that option. I wouldn't even use it 95% of the time. I'm really really trying my best but it's just not working on those two tracks. And apparently it's the same thing for hundreds and possibly thousands of other players.
There's an option to reduce the AI difficulty, to reduce damage, to reduce penalties, to use flashbacks, there are driving aids. I don't hear any complaints about all of that. An option for reduced tyre temps would fit right into that category.

I'm a huge fan of games that let players customize it to their liking, at least offline. If you can't change that during online races, that's fine. As a pad racer you kind of expect to have slight disadvantages vs. players with wheels anyway.
But who cares how other players play their career mode? Just let people play the game how they wanna play it ✌?
You can always ask them. But if you're only going to use 5% of the time and I'll use 0% of the time and someone else is only going to use it 2% of the time then what incentive have they got? Especially given that they did such a good job with the tyre simulation in the first place.