Sign in to follow this  

DiRT4 - update Ideas

We are being encouraged to start a thread to post ideas for how we would like to see Codemasters and the DiRT team update us on the progress of their next rally game.  

As time allows, I will update this post with a list of everyones contributions.  

Here is my contribution:

• Behind the scenes interviews, nothing professional, just a small 2min clip with a team member explaining his role and what he or she has contributed to the game.
  • Screenshot of the week
  • Video of the week
  • Effect of the week (sound? :wink:)
  • alpha or beta lottery opportunity, or all out paid early access
  • Brief blurb about a particular location in the game.

I have posted this before a few weeks back, but it's worth a repost.

I actually would not like to know everything whats in the game. Developers post complete car and tracklists online all the time and that takse the magic away. I remember playing CMR2 without knowing what cars I would actually find, that felt good. What I would like to see is a more in depth look into the game without knowing everything. Just pick one car and do a weekly video item on it's development process.

Week 1, how does licensing work, what does a developer do to prepare, gathering reference material in the form of photo's, video and experience of drivers etc. Tell us stories about how you found some of the older rally cars.

Week 2, scanning and modeling.

Week 3, first physics set up

Week 4, sound development

Week 5, polishing all aspects

Week 6, the result.

@Areyouben‌ I can agree with that, I don't really think they would drop it all in our lap, there are lots of licensing issues that are always being worked out till the last minute too so even it they wanted to do that they don't even know till its out the door.  

anyway the best case maybe a tech demo with a car or two to show off and get some last min feedback?  

Areyouben said:
I have posted this before a few weeks back, but it's worth a repost.

I actually would not like to know everything whats in the game. Developers post complete car and tracklists online all the time and that takse the magic away. I remember playing CMR2 without knowing what cars I would actually find, that felt good. What I would like to see is a more in depth look into the game without knowing everything. Just pick one car and do a weekly video item on it's development process.

Week 1, how does licensing work, what does a developer do to prepare, gathering reference material in the form of photo's, video and experience of drivers etc. Tell us stories about how you found some of the older rally cars.

Week 2, scanning and modeling.

Week 3, first physics set up

Week 4, sound development

Week 5, polishing all aspects

Week 6, the result.
I like that one, consider it done. 

gfRally said:
@Areyouben‌ I can agree with that, I don't really think they would drop it all in our lap, there are lots of licensing issues that are always being worked out till the last minute too so even it they wanted to do that they don't even know till its out the door.  

anyway the best case maybe a tech demo with a car or two to show off and get some last min feedback?  
I like that as well. I thought a bit about the sort of things I would like to see in the build up. Then as usual realised that it's easier to mouth off about doing stuff than it is to come up with something good.

One idea, maybe good, maybe not so good is a competition. What I reckon you want is to get users thinking again about the dirt series, what they liked about it and refresh it in their minds ready for buying the new game.

I thought of something like a video competition on Dirt1/2/3, but then I realised that might exclude users of PS4/XB1 generation consoles that the game might/will be on so thats not such a good idea.

Maybe something like a What Dirt means to you competion, where people can post anything they like, a video, screenshot, their own off road photgraphy, vids, their own artowrk, a minecraft rally course, even a photo of them having a beer with a famous rally driver. The theme being best of dirt or something like that. You could do a prize for best in each catagory for Dirt1, Dirt2 and Dirt3 and prize for the best funny in each, all to be judged by a tame codemsaters rally driver. Winners have to get a copy of Dirt 4, naturally !

Anyway, I will try and think of some other stuff.

dirt3joe said:

Maybe something like a What Dirt means to you competion, where people can post anything they like, a video, screenshot, their own off road photgraphy, vids, their own artowrk, a minecraft rally course, even a photo of them having a beer with a famous rally driver. 
I'd love to see you guys post that up one day anyway

I think you must take the new ken block's gymkhana Ford mustang for the rally in the next dirt game. Of course, this car can be used for the gymhnana, maybe for the trailblazer..
It is a very nice car i think it will be a fabulous experience to drive this car in dirt :)

Vic54321 said:
I think you must take the new ken block's gymkhana Ford mustang for the rally in the next dirt game. Of course, this car can be used for the gymhnana, maybe for the trailblazer..
It is a very nice car i think it will be a fabulous experience to drive this car in dirt :)

The Mustang is awesome, but it wouldn't last 5 minutes on a rally stage! 

Besides that, Ken Block has sold his soul to EA: much more likely you'll see the Gymkhana 7 Mustang in the next Need for Speed game!

It is only AWD so that you can do donuts and reversed entry drifts (or however you would call that) with high speed. I don't think the tricks that are in these gymkhana videos would be as extreme with a RWD car just because you can't pull a RWD car trough a drift the way you can with an AWD car.