Sign in to follow this  

F1 2018 – Your Opinion

For those who bought the game and played it, I would like to know what you think, thanks.
Also I don’t know how to create a poll so apart from your comments please specify if possible thumbs up or thumbs down.

Career is by far the best. The feel for the car, the way the tyres react and how managing the car makes so much more difference now. The career mode is far more diverse now with R&D still being very deep and now with regulation changes teams can unpredictably rise and fall in constructors, so you are never just racing the same teams and drivers every season. Drivers now switch number roles so Bottas can be 1st driver if he performs better in the Championship and so moving to other teams can also mean you can replace a different driver to the standard number 2.
The pits are much less robotic, especially if the SC comes out or it starts raining, drivers will pit on different strategies (even on 25% races) making the outcome less predictable.
The AI are by far the very best and had a huge leap in performance to 2017! The AI are far more feisty and will keep the fight wheel to wheel around corners and even if you get ahead they are sniffing for the retake! So long as you are a clean and smooth racer who gives room you will love the AI.
The weather is much more diverse too, no longer does it simply transition straight from dry to wet or wet to dry, you can have an entire race with a damp track and no rain making the track more challenging and allowing a more natural choice of tyre strategy.
The classics are awesome! They have returned the 80s turbos and brought in the amazing 09 Championship winning Brawn!
The new Paul Ricard circuit is amazing! A maze at first but amazing for races!!
Online is patchy, they have added a new safety rating (clean) system similar to GT Sport but its early days and some are struggling still on high safety ratings vs those usual arcade racing torpedo bombers.. But my personal experience online has mostly been good.

A big thumbs up for me.

Career is by far the best. The feel for the car, the way the tyres react and how managing the car makes so much more difference now. The career mode is far more diverse now with R&D still being very deep and now with regulation changes teams can unpredictably rise and fall in constructors, so you are never just racing the same teams and drivers every season. Drivers now switch number roles so Bottas can be 1st driver if he performs better in the Championship and so moving to other teams can also mean you can replace a different driver to the standard number 2.
The pits are much less robotic, especially if the SC comes out or it starts raining, drivers will pit on different strategies (even on 25% races) making the outcome less predictable.
The AI are by far the very best and had a huge leap in performance to 2017! The AI are far more feisty and will keep the fight wheel to wheel around corners and even if you get ahead they are sniffing for the retake! So long as you are a clean and smooth racer who gives room you will love the AI.
The weather is much more diverse too, no longer does it simply transition straight from dry to wet or wet to dry, you can have an entire race with a damp track and no rain making the track more challenging and allowing a more natural choice of tyre strategy.
The classics are awesome! They have returned the 80s turbos and brought in the amazing 09 Championship winning Brawn!
Online is patchy, they have added a new safety rating (clean) system similar to GT Sport but its early days and some are struggling still on high safety ratings vs those usual arcade racing torpedo bombers.. But my personal experience online has mostly been good.

A big thumbs up for me.
Excellent, very helpful, thank you for your comment.

A big thumbs up for me.
I desagree with your point about ai. In my case, playing both games at 110, 2018 ai is slower at several corners, sometimes when driving in convoy line on straights, and sometimes they brake for nothing, that made me still continue playing 2017 too. Although I like more the way they battle this year, 2017 is not bad at all when batlling neither. Stay commited to the race and allways gainning advantage at those specific situations is a little bit odd. Another thing that happens a lot to me is they hitting my back on straights for no reason, when Im just following a straight line, full gas, and plenty of space for them to make a clean overtake, or when an ai car goes two wide whith another car (in this case he should slow down not to hit me, according with racing ethiquete), sometimes causing me to crash.
The ai is good, still one of the best racing ai out there, but in my opinion, for those reasons 2017 has still somethings to say about overall ai.

Graphics 3/5 Tears a lot on OG Xbox. Less cartoony I feel, palette maybe more lifelike or perhaps it's the lighting and sky effects. 

Sound 3.5/5 Digging the sound this year. But sound and animations and transitions in pre-race to track and how they all link up can glitch out. Easily a 4 if no issues.

Features 3/5 Some extra classics this year and most of the modes from previous games are back. But many are quite 'samey'. The usual fodder. 

Driving 3.5/5 Lots of fun, wheel or pad. Some issues with pad being pad, and personally having some slight issues with wheel, but it's first time using wheel in a codies games. It mostly feels good, though limp wheel in menus or prior to taking control is annoying. 

Career 4/5 Other than disliking half of the tracks F1 visits nowadays, it's pretty good, though I haven't encountered any bugs off track so my view might change, at least I feel like I might stick with this career (also a function of how BAD online is).

AI 3.5/5 They are a lot of fun, but can be a little slow in strange places, and I don't think are as aggressive as they were, though I was trying different difficulties out at the start. Have had some nice battles so far, and I have that placebo effect possibly where Alonso, Max, KMag seem to have a little personality and will put me under pressure with fairly aggressive overtake attempts

Online 1/5 (lolEsports) Absolute mess. Considering what it could be, I just can't overlook all of the problems I've seen. Not one race has went cleanly or without issue. Penalty system is actually a joke, penalising people who are rammed. Safety Rating seems like a good idea but I can't see what difference it's making. Desynchs prevalent, massive lag spike on drivers exiting or joining lobbies (reduces game to slideshow level), and no resolution in sight. Not sure how we are here after 9th iteration. 

Immersion 2/5 So much of the good undone by the bad. Ridiculous "entire field" penalties for AI under safety car, Flashbacks triggering accidents and therefore VSC/SC, really amazingly stupid strategy too, the AI's version of SHUT UP JEFF seems to also work for the player. Overtaking under SC, incorrectly implemented SC rules, and so on. Just a lot of niggly things that ruin the best part of the game, the racing. Did I mention the safety car.

What it's not is the BS 90% rating they slapped across the xbox cover based on some ridiculous review of a very small part of the game. 

Been holding of on buying 18 still enjoying 17 but think might get it this weekend do the Singapore gp to get usef to the game and work me difficulty level out was wounding how much further up or down people are playing with this years difficulty compared to last 

A big thumbs up for me.
I desagree with your point about ai. In my case, playing both games at 110, 2018 ai is slower at several corners, sometimes when driving in convoy line on straights, and sometimes they brake for nothing, that made me still continue playing 2017 too. Although I like more the way they battle this year, 2017 is not bad at all when batlling neither. Stay commited to the race and allways gainning advantage at those specific situations is a little bit odd. Another thing that happens a lot to me is they hitting my back on straights for no reason, when Im just following a straight line, full gas, and plenty of space for them to make a clean overtake, or when an ai car goes two wide whith another car (in this case he should slow down not to hit me, according with racing ethiquete), sometimes causing me to crash.
The ai is good, still one of the best racing ai out there, but in my opinion, for those reasons 2017 has still somethings to say about overall ai.
Did you play 2018 before any patching Protomorph? I feel they were very tough to race in the beginning, they never once backed out and pushed very hard, they'd punish you if you tried to overtake them from too far back. But I'm not sure if that was because I was starting in a McLaren so very slow in general compared to the others, or whether like posts suggest, the AI in 2018 has been given a small sedative, reducing their aggression and therefore their ability to hold their own as they did in the beginning? I have noticed a few times they have backed out of corner fighting which never happened before the patching.

Great game but some bizarre choices not to have in a game in 2018:

No visible tyre wear they always look brand new
No ability to save a replay
No ability to play as yourself in a quick race have to choose a real driver
No ability to 'EQUAL' cars (can only do this in an online race)

and the kicker.....  AI that rams you going down a straight when you are on the racing line, they don't even go around.
I was even doing the track acclimatisation programme last night going down the china straight and I had to stay on racing line as thats where the checkpoint was and a car that was on an outlap decided to ram me from behind 4 times!
Or even better the AI car that comes straight out the pits on an outlap while your doing a qualifying lap and cuts in front of you and actively blocks you into the first corner!

Thumbs up.

Career - very good
AI - best so far
Classic cars - a gem
Online - good concepts, terrible implementation

Normally when I buy the game I play 2 seasons of career and then play multiplayer until the next game launches. Presently online is so bug infested that it's virtually unplayable. For an esports game it's too embarassing for Codemasters to leave it at this state, so I am hopeful they'll fix it.

If they manage to turn online into a stable experience then overall this may be the best game of the series. At its current state though I would still rate F1 2017 the best.

dfg15 what system are you running on? On PS4 Pro I see the wear on the tyres, especially when stopped in the pits during change, you can see big clumps missing if you wear them heavily.

FRACTURED said:
Graphics 3/5 Tears a lot on OG Xbox. Less cartoony I feel, palette maybe more lifelike or perhaps it's the lighting and sky effects. 

Sound 3.5/5 Digging the sound this year. But sound and animations and transitions in pre-race to track and how they all link up can glitch out. Easily a 4 if no issues.

Features 3/5 Some extra classics this year and most of the modes from previous games are back. But many are quite 'samey'. The usual fodder. 

Driving 3.5/5 Lots of fun, wheel or pad. Some issues with pad being pad, and personally having some slight issues with wheel, but it's first time using wheel in a codies games. It mostly feels good, though limp wheel in menus or prior to taking control is annoying. 

Career 4/5 Other than disliking half of the tracks F1 visits nowadays, it's pretty good, though I haven't encountered any bugs off track so my view might change, at least I feel like I might stick with this career (also a function of how BAD online is).

AI 3.5/5 They are a lot of fun, but can be a little slow in strange places, and I don't think are as aggressive as they were, though I was trying different difficulties out at the start. Have had some nice battles so far, and I have that placebo effect possibly where Alonso, Max, KMag seem to have a little personality and will put me under pressure with fairly aggressive overtake attempts

Online 1/5 (lolEsports) Absolute mess. Considering what it could be, I just can't overlook all of the problems I've seen. Not one race has went cleanly or without issue. Penalty system is actually a joke, penalising people who are rammed. Safety Rating seems like a good idea but I can't see what difference it's making. Desynchs prevalent, massive lag spike on drivers exiting or joining lobbies (reduces game to slideshow level), and no resolution in sight. Not sure how we are here after 9th iteration. 

Immersion 2/5 So much of the good undone by the bad. Ridiculous "entire field" penalties for AI under safety car, Flashbacks triggering accidents and therefore VSC/SC, really amazingly stupid strategy too, the AI's version of SHUT UP JEFF seems to also work for the player. Overtaking under SC, incorrectly implemented SC rules, and so on. Just a lot of niggly things that ruin the best part of the game, the racing. Did I mention the safety car.

What it's not is the BS 90% rating they slapped across the xbox cover based on some ridiculous review of a very small part of the game. 
Awesome, thanks so much for your comments, another very helpful reply.

patronas said:
Been holding of on buying 18 still enjoying 17 but think might get it this weekend do the Singapore gp to get usef to the game and work me difficulty level out was wounding how much further up or down people are playing with this years difficulty compared to last 
Thank you.

dfg15 said:
Great game but some bizarre choices not to have in a game in 2018:

No visible tyre wear they always look brand new
No ability to save a replay
No ability to play as yourself in a quick race have to choose a real driver
No ability to 'EQUAL' cars (can only do this in an online race)

and the kicker.....  AI that rams you going down a straight when you are on the racing line, they don't even go around.
I was even doing the track acclimatisation programme last night going down the china straight and I had to stay on racing line as thats where the checkpoint was and a car that was on an outlap decided to ram me from behind 4 times!
Or even better the AI car that comes straight out the pits on an outlap while your doing a qualifying lap and cuts in front of you and actively blocks you into the first corner!
Thanks for your comments, quite often I had quali laps ruined in the last game (2017), but I’m told it’s worse in this one (2018).

drKotasz said:
Thumbs up.

Career - very good
AI - best so far
Classic cars - a gem
Online - good concepts, terrible implementation

Normally when I buy the game I play 2 seasons of career and then play multiplayer until the next game launches. Presently online is so bug infested that it's virtually unplayable. For an esports game it's too embarassing for Codemasters to leave it at this state, so I am hopeful they'll fix it.

If they manage to turn online into a stable experience then overall this may be the best game of the series. At its current state though I would still rate F1 2017 the best.

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: I compare all F1 or Formula Racing based games to the hypothetical nonexisting "Ultimate Fomula Racing Game" so the bar is set pretty high and i don't downsize obvious flaws for the sake of being gentle as i want high quality products and not some disappointing sellouts.

------------------------------

Bought the game second hand for 15 bucks on PS4, had around 180+ hours of playtime, must admit that the core is the best that Codies have ever produced, but it's still a underwhelming game if we compare it to the hypothetical nonexisting "Ultimate Formula Racing Game" that most people very likely would love to get hands on if it ever existed.

Graphics: 6/10
A great improvement to its predecessors especially the lighting and the sparks sfx are a lot better, the rain spray has been improved drastically as well, but it's still lacking behind its competition in terms of the obligatory "Wow-Effect" as it can't bring out the same graphical fidelity as the likes of Forza 7 / Assetto Corsa Competizione etc.

Audio: 5/10
Huge improvement to its predecessors, cars do sound like modern V6T engines for once especially the Ferrari is pretty close to reality, but Codies still don't seem to be able to 100% accurately capture the audio we hear on TV or onboard footages once again, it seems as if they always try to either keep the audio clean as to how it realistically sounds to the driver or that they always end up butchering the audio alltogether to the point it becomes almost unrecognizable.

Why not have 4 different audio mixes for the engine sound?

For example, TV Replay engine sound as heard on TV, Chase Cam and Offboard engine sound as heard by mics that have been placed at the sidepods of the car, TCam Onboard engine sound as heard on TV footage especially the pole laps, Cockpit and Helmet Cam engine sound as heard by the driver.

Gameplay: 5/10
Career has been nicely build upon, now everything feels a bit more natural and immersive, but a scenario mode is still missing, a Driving School is still missing, Feeder Serieses such as F4 / F3 / F2 are still missing, a story mode such as FIFA's "The Journey" is still missing etc., which makes the career feel a bit stale and lifeless after a couple of seasons, the repetitive interviews do need a overhaul as well to become more believable, the AI finally got a boost to behave more realistically but they are missing the drivers identity and seem to be driving in trains at certain points of the race.

Physics: 4/10
Best physics and handling of the whole franchise hands down, but it still is missing a sophisticated advanced car setup menu, it still is missing a more realistic transition between dry and wet weather, it still is missing the full telemetry data, it still needs a more believable ffb and a much better tyre wear + tyre temperature feature if the target is to be aiming for the crown of all racing games out there, as it is right now the game still feels way too arcady and thus it certainly wouldn't be bad if Codies tried to continue the path of simulation to be able to compete in the racing branche.

Online: 2/10
On paper the new Driver Licence feature is a nice addition, but in reality it's a complete mess as it is plagued by massive desyncs, a subpar set of track limitations and the inability to distinguish who is at fault for causing a collision or driving in an erratic and dangerous manner, not having any dedicated servers + no ping lock doesn't help the situation as well, pure disappointment.

Officiality: 5/10
It's the official F1 2018 season, it got the official TV intro and the official commentating of the likes such as Crofty, but there is still so much potential being left behind, eg., no official HUD, no official Alcohol Sponsorship, no official team sponsors on our custom helmets, no Feeder serieses such as F4 / F3 / F2, no classic tracks, no classic seasons, no classic drivers etc., 8 years and we still don't have features that 90's games had to offer back in the days, ridiculous.

Car Model Details: 8/10
Finally the cars are modelled to almost 100% perfection, and til now no hobby artist had to find out that their models have been stolen, so i guess this is a huge leap forward?! ;)

Driver Customization:1/10
Missed opportunity alltogether, why we still don't have the ability to choose more avatars, change hair / skin / beard / makeup / eye color / height / weight of our driver and or why we still don't have officially licenced helmets with all the team sponsors on top that we could customize in appearance to our liking including the helmet visor tint or why we still can't change our balaclavas / gloves / kneepads / shoes is a mystery only Codies can solve, the definition of disappointment.

Industry Standardized Features: 2/10
Another rabbit hole that has been left untouched for no reason, where are all the industry standardized features such as a proper Theater Mode, helmet cam, virtual mirror, a more sophisticated advanced car setup menu, laser- or dronescanned tracks, improved leaderboards, dedicated servers, ping lock, VR, adjustable HUD, full camera angle control, turn indicators, full telemetry data, AI Pace Slider & AI Aggression Slider etc. that the fierce competition have introduced ages ago for the most part? 

My personal overall rating for F1 2018 is a decent 5/10.

Tbh no other Codemasters F1 game has ever exceeded the 4/10 mark imo, except F1 2018 which is a huge improvement to its predecessors in almost all aspects, so Codies can be proud of this years core game, now if only they'd bother to fix all the ridiculous bugs and glitches once and for all.

Anyways, i would recommend any sane potential customer that is looking for a high quality product to be more patient and delay their purchase as the game is far from being ironed out, another alternative is to get the game second hand as i did, or to get the game in a wholesale deal.

A respectable 50 - 70 bucks pricetag used to be a seal of quality, but sadly certain companies (EA / Activision / Konami / Ubisoft etc.) have turned the gaming industry into a capitalists wet dream over the last decade as people voluntarily let it happen by being bona fide sheeplets that kept paying their hardearned $$$ over and over again.....

#VoteWithYourWallet

PS: My personal ratings for the oldies of Codies F1 franchise,
F1 2009 (01/10),
F1 2010 (3/10),
F1 2011 (2/10),
F1 2012 (2/10),
F1 2013 (3/10),
F1 2014 (1/10),
F1 2015 (1/10),
F1 2016 (3/10),
F1 2017 (4/10)

Also imho there is only one F1 title that deserved the highest rating of a 7/10, Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 4, whereas F1 Challenge 99-02 is the second best F1 title to date and deserved a solid 6/10, F1 2018 certainly is a contender for the third position as long as Codemasters can rectify all bugs and glitches.

FRACTURED said:
Wow! Hell froze over! @FRACTURED actually likes it.  B)
59/100 isn't all that good either  :#
For you that is actually a very high score. Your review sounds really positive and fair. They loose much of their score where I would expect it: online. 

As a current Real car racer and veteran simmer here is my POV.

1st off I only play career at the moment.
I bought the 1st 3 iterations of the F1 series in 2010 but stayed away after since it got a bit stale.

This iteration is great fun and the physics and Ai are finally at a point where you can "drive" the car properly and race against challenging Ai competition. The sights and sounds are the best the series has had and you really feel part of the F1 circus. Playing on PC I have had few if any bugs so I am in the minority after 2 1/2 seasons. Safety car, tire temps, weather etc all work great.

I love the new R&D system and the rule changes are great. I just wish it was balanced a bit more. I only do 1-2 practice programs or I ramp up too much. I feel this is a good base to expand and add more features.

The interviews are not really engaging and the contract system is a bit weak. I would love to actually get offers and have a bit more wheeling and dealing involved.

Overall I am having a blast but a few things are going to limit my long-term playtime with this.

1. The schedule is just too long for 50% or above races to play anything close to 10 seasons.
 - Ideally a "race number" selector would solve this. For me 12-14 50% races would be perfect
2. No driver and team changes really hurts the immersion and long-term fun
3. Part failures would add for realism, variety and balance. (GP2-3) did this great.
4. Ability to create or edit teams. 
-It would be fun to insert a new team after 3 years with created drivers an livery. 

These (unlikely) items would keep me playing for years instead of 3-5 months.

DISCLAIMER: I compare all F1 or Formula Racing based games to the hypothetical nonexisting "Ultimate Fomula Racing Game" so the bar is set pretty high and i don't downsize obvious flaws for the sake of being gentle as i want high quality products and not some disappointing sellouts.

------------------------------

Bought the game second hand for 15 bucks on PS4, had around 180+ hours of playtime, must admit that the core is the best that Codies have ever produced, but it's still a underwhelming game if we compare it to the hypothetical nonexisting "Ultimate Formula Racing Game" that most people very likely would love to get hands on if it ever existed.

Graphics: 6/10
A great improvement to its predecessors especially the lighting and the sparks sfx are a lot better, the rain spray has been improved drastically as well, but it's still lacking behind its competition in terms of the obligatory "Wow-Effect" as it can't bring out the same graphical fidelity as the likes of Forza 7 / Assetto Corsa Competizione etc.

Audio: 5/10
Huge improvement to its predecessors, cars do sound like modern V6T engines for once especially the Ferrari is pretty close to reality, but Codies still don't seem to be able to 100% accurately capture the audio we hear on TV or onboard footages once again, it seems as if they always try to either keep the audio clean as to how it realistically sounds to the driver or that they always end up butchering the audio alltogether to the point it becomes almost unrecognizable.

Why not have 4 different audio mixes for the engine sound?

For example, TV Replay engine sound as heard on TV, Chase Cam and Offboard engine sound as heard by mics that have been placed at the sidepods of the car, TCam Onboard engine sound as heard on TV footage especially the pole laps, Cockpit and Helmet Cam engine sound as heard by the driver.

Gameplay: 5/10
Career has been nicely build upon, now everything feels a bit more natural and immersive, but a scenario mode is still missing, a Driving School is still missing, Feeder Serieses such as F4 / F3 / F2 are still missing, a story mode such as FIFA's "The Journey" is still missing etc., which makes the career feel a bit stale and lifeless after a couple of seasons, the repetitive interviews do need a overhaul as well to become more believable, the AI finally got a boost to behave more realistically but they are missing the drivers identity and seem to be driving in trains at certain points of the race.

Physics: 4/10
Best physics and handling of the whole franchise hands down, but it still is missing a sophisticated advanced car setup menu, it still is missing a more realistic transition between dry and wet weather, it still is missing the full telemetry data, it still needs a more believable ffb and a much better tyre wear + tyre temperature feature if the target is to be aiming for the crown of all racing games out there, as it is right now the game still feels way too arcady and thus it certainly wouldn't be bad if Codies tried to continue the path of simulation to be able to compete in the racing branche.

Online: 2/10
On paper the new Driver Licence feature is a nice addition, but in reality it's a complete mess as it is plagued by massive desyncs, a subpar set of track limitations and the inability to distinguish who is at fault for causing a collision or driving in an erratic and dangerous manner, not having any dedicated servers + no ping lock doesn't help the situation as well, pure disappointment.

Officiality: 5/10
It's the official F1 2018 season, it got the official TV intro and the official commentating of the likes such as Crofty, but there is still so much potential being left behind, eg., no official HUD, no official Alcohol Sponsorship, no official team sponsors on our custom helmets, no Feeder serieses such as F4 / F3 / F2, no classic tracks, no classic seasons, no classic drivers etc., 8 years and we still don't have features that 90's games had to offer back in the days, ridiculous.

Car Model Details: 8/10
Finally the cars are modelled to almost 100% perfection, and til now no hobby artist had to find out that their models have been stolen, so i guess this is a huge leap forward?! ;)

Driver Customization:1/10
Missed opportunity alltogether, why we still don't have the ability to choose more avatars, change hair / skin / beard / makeup / eye color / height / weight of our driver and or why we still don't have officially licenced helmets with all the team sponsors on top that we could customize in appearance to our liking including the helmet visor tint or why we still can't change our balaclavas / gloves / kneepads / shoes is a mystery only Codies can solve, the definition of disappointment.

Industry Standardized Features: 2/10
Another rabbit hole that has been left untouched for no reason, where are all the industry standardized features such as a proper Theater Mode, helmet cam, virtual mirror, a more sophisticated advanced car setup menu, laser- or dronescanned tracks, improved leaderboards, dedicated servers, ping lock, VR, adjustable HUD, full camera angle control, turn indicators, full telemetry data, AI Pace Slider & AI Aggression Slider etc. that the fierce competition have introduced ages ago for the most part? 

My personal overall rating for F1 2018 is a decent 5/10.

Tbh no other Codemasters F1 game has ever exceeded the 4/10 mark imo, except F1 2018 which is a huge improvement to its predecessors in almost all aspects, so Codies can be proud of this years core game, now if only they'd bother to fix all the ridiculous bugs and glitches once and for all.

Anyways, i would recommend any sane potential customer that is looking for a high quality product to be more patient and delay their purchase as the game is far from being ironed out, another alternative is to get the game second hand as i did, or to get the game in a wholesale deal.

A respectable 50 - 70 bucks pricetag used to be a seal of quality, but sadly certain companies (EA / Activision / Konami / Ubisoft etc.) have turned the gaming industry into a capitalists wet dream over the last decade as people voluntarily let it happen by being bona fide sheeplets that kept paying their hardearned $$$ over and over again.....

#VoteWithYourWallet

PS: My personal ratings for the oldies of Codies F1 franchise,
F1 2009 (01/10),
F1 2010 (3/10),
F1 2011 (2/10),
F1 2012 (2/10),
F1 2013 (3/10),
F1 2014 (1/10),
F1 2015 (1/10),
F1 2016 (3/10),
F1 2017 (4/10)

Also imho there is only one F1 title that deserved the highest rating of a 7/10, Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 4, whereas F1 Challenge 99-02 is the second best F1 title to date and deserved a solid 6/10, F1 2018 certainly is a contender for the third position as long as Codemasters can rectify all bugs and glitches.

Awesome, thanks so much for your detailed comments, very interesting to read.

Metzgerov said:
As a current Real car racer and veteran simmer here is my POV.

1st off I only play career at the moment.
I bought the 1st 3 iterations of the F1 series in 2010 but stayed away after since it got a bit stale.

This iteration is great fun and the physics and Ai are finally at a point where you can "drive" the car properly and race against challenging Ai competition. The sights and sounds are the best the series has had and you really feel part of the F1 circus. Playing on PC I have had few if any bugs so I am in the minority after 2 1/2 seasons. Safety car, tire temps, weather etc all work great.

I love the new R&D system and the rule changes are great. I just wish it was balanced a bit more. I only do 1-2 practice programs or I ramp up too much. I feel this is a good base to expand and add more features.

The interviews are not really engaging and the contract system is a bit weak. I would love to actually get offers and have a bit more wheeling and dealing involved.

Overall I am having a blast but a few things are going to limit my long-term playtime with this.

1. The schedule is just too long for 50% or above races to play anything close to 10 seasons.
 - Ideally a "race number" selector would solve this. For me 12-14 50% races would be perfect
2. No driver and team changes really hurts the immersion and long-term fun
3. Part failures would add for realism, variety and balance. (GP2-3) did this great.
4. Ability to create or edit teams. 
-It would be fun to insert a new team after 3 years with created drivers an livery. 

These (unlikely) items would keep me playing for years instead of 3-5 months.

Excellent, thanks for your comments.